PDA

View Full Version : Ficcare Maximas Teeth Wear and Tear?

AprilElf
June 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I have a large Maximas clip which I'm trying to decide whether to keep or not. With a view to putting it up on the swap board, I was inspecting it and noticed these 'cracks' at either end of the teeth part.

I think it's just the plating that has cracked, but I can't be positive about that

Has this happened to other people's clips? Is this normal wear and tear?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/maximasteeth.jpg
This is a Jade Border clip. My other clip is a Blue Jean Border and has similar lines where the teeth attach to the clip, but on that clip it looks more like the silver plating coming off than actual cracks.
I got both clips about a year ago.

sapphire-o
June 12th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Oh I have some clips that came with cracks already. I just put some nail polish on them. I remember someone's clip had the teeth completely fallen off. It's a rather typical problem but most of the time doesn't affect function. :)

Cinnamon Hair
June 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Yep, it's a normal Ficcare flaw. Be careful with the edge of the teeth near the hinge rising up like that though.

One of my clips did that and it started catching hair when I tried to remove it from an updo. I had this huge chunk of hair stuck in my clip but I couldn't pull it down to eye level where I could examine how to remove the hair. It was too much hair for me to be comfortable cutting it off, but luckily I was able to feel around and get the hair out.

I showed it to my father and he was able to use some type of cold solder that comes in a tube, to fix it. My clip is silver, so the solder matched perfectly; you couldn't tell it wasn't originally there.

AprilElf
June 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thank you both for the advice. Now I know and can do something to fix it on my clip if it starts getting dangerous! ;)

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Yep, it's a normal Ficcare flaw. Be careful with the edge of the teeth near the hinge rising up like that though.

One of my clips did that and it started catching hair when I tried to remove it from an updo. I had this huge chunk of hair stuck in my clip but I couldn't pull it down to eye level where I could examine how to remove the hair. It was too much hair for me to be comfortable cutting it off, but luckily I was able to feel around and get the hair out.

I showed it to my father and he was able to use some type of cold solder that comes in a tube, to fix it. My clip is silver, so the solder matched perfectly; you couldn't tell it wasn't originally there.

Yes! Oh, what's that stuff called... I'll post again if I think of it.

Calista
June 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I noticed it happening to my maximases, too. It catches individual hairs and rips them out - ouch! I never thought of putting nail polish on it. :doh:

SHELIAANN1969
June 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Yes! Oh, what's that stuff called... I'll post again if I think of it.

JB Weld?

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php

Cinnamon Hair
June 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
JB Weld?

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php

Yes that is it! We used the one with the black print.