PDA

View Full Version : Oh Shed!!!!!

hennaphile
June 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I just lost over 100 hairs in the shower :wail:

I was just starting to get my hopes up about my extremely fine hair recovering from a major shed.

I was using soapnut solution for the past few days and acv/beer rinse and a little conditioner. Today I lathered twice with CV bar and conditioned. Shed.

I hope my scalp is just coughing.

embee
June 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I hope you do a good combing before you get in the shower to wash your hair. There's no need to stop up the tub drain if you can comb any of the shedding hair out first! ;) Just put it in the waste basket, not the toilet.

Personally I always find that hair shed in the shower *looks like* so much more. Most depressing.

I do not understand CV bars, myself. Nor soapnuts. Seems like they'd cause tangles and possible breakage. But that's my ignorance.

longhairedfairy
June 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Did you count the hairs? Having long hair makes it look like a lot more than it really is. It may not be as much as it seems.

hennaphile
June 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I did count them, it's a habbit. I didn't comb before going in, as my hair was pretty tangle free, maybe that made it look like more, but today it's been over a hundred for sure. The soapnut solution was great because I put it in a squeeze bottle to get it on my scalp, and I just pressed instead of lathering. I've been trying to comb more than brush, so maybe it just exploded??

I reallllyyyy hope it's not going back to purge phase :shudder:

send me Cousin It vibes :)

Natalia
June 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hey hennaphile :grouphug: im so sorry your going through this again. We can share our shedding horrors together! I have been too afraid to touch mine since the big clump.... I hope it is just a scalp cough. Do you think the bar is putting to much stress on the folicles? I know when i used S&C i lost alot more hair than CO. My hair likes the lubrication i think so it doesnt tug on itself. Your in my thoughts :heartbeat

hennaphile
June 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hey hennaphile :grouphug: im so sorry your going through this again. We can share our shedding horrors together! I have been too afraid to touch mine since the big clump.... I hope it is just a scalp cough. Do you think the bar is putting to much stress on the folicles? I know when i used S&C i lost alot more hair than CO. My hair likes the lubrication i think so it doesnt tug on itself. Your in my thoughts :heartbeat

Awwww thanks :flowers: We could start a club of our afflictions :cheese: I think I have been putting too much stress on it... I'm trying to figure out a way of applying scalp serums that doesn't involve the pulling and tugging ( i do it damp) but i think from now on it's squeeze bottle shampoo (indian herbs, soapnut solution, or diluted Morrocoo Method) followed by conditioner. You're in my thoughts too, let's hope that our scalps are just *making room* for bigger better hair :eyebrows:

Natalia
June 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Awwww thanks :flowers: We could start a club of our afflictions :cheese: I think I have been putting too much stress on it... I'm trying to figure out a way of applying scalp serums that doesn't involve the pulling and tugging ( i do it damp) but i think from now on it's squeeze bottle shampoo (indian herbs, soapnut solution, or diluted Morrocoo Method) followed by conditioner. You're in my thoughts too, let's hope that our scalps are just *making room* for bigger better hair :eyebrows:

Your welcome honey :) and thank you :flowers: ! Not stressing is hard thing to do. I figure its basicly the least of my problems despite my hair obsession :p. Its asthetic and will grow back, my organs wont. Well a liver can but thats not my issue lol. Its kine of like stressing about my skin i dont go anywhere my family has seen me whackout on narcotics, throwing up, with puk all over me. Heck one member even took me to the hospital when my medication gave me an impaction! Now thats hulimiating. Group enama fuuuun. So i dont think they care about my looks :p.

Applying anything damap must be hard. I know i cant touch my hair till a minimum of 80% dry and thats pushing it a bit . The diluted washing sounds like a good idea and the less stress the better :D. Here's a cheer to the bigger beter hair to come!

Flynn
June 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
A hundred ain't so bad. That's not even a scalp-sneeze, let alone a cough. Maybe a little bit of a runny nose. It'll be fine.

(When you say fine, do you mean fine, or thin?)

Blue Willow
June 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
May I suggest a good hair vitamin with 500mg biotin and gentle scalp stimulation (start with 2-5 minutes) is usually good for your hair & scalp (with a noncone organic conditioner)..If youre changing your cleansing routine too often that can actually stress out your hair. Also I wouldnt use oil to close to the scalp, some oils tend to irritate the scalp and stress it which can produce a mini shed..so use oil on the last 2/3 of hair..you have beautiful hair and youre so young, try not to stress about it too much, as stress in general can cause a shed, may I suggest a more serene activity? Yoga or pilates would be excellent stress relievers..no doubt youll find something that works perfectly for you:)

hennaphile
June 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Natalia: The fun never ends does it :eyebrows:

Flynn: It's a LOT for me, generally I lose 10-30 in the shower, and if the theory that people lose 100-150 a day, then I've lost 2/3 of that before the day's really started. And in CLUMPS.

Blue Willow: Thank you so much for the advice! :flower: yoga... I'm intrigued. Right now my routine is to use herbs to wash, but without lathering, only pressing, and use my super-picky-cone-free-organic conditioner ;) . I don't apply oils to my scalp, as they've made me shed gobs, but I was putting Mega Tek on after showering, which seemed to be just fine. I hope today was just a fluke! Maybe I need to start building a Japanese garden.... :cheese:

MoonMaiden90
June 11th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I hope my scalp is just coughing.

That made me smile. Thank you. :)

Remember that we lose about 100 hairs each day. Do you shed at any other times, or just in the shower? If it's mainly in the shower, you won't have a thing to worry about. Good luck!

Flynn
June 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Flynn: It's a LOT for me, generally I lose 10-30 in the shower, and if the theory that people lose 100-150 a day, then I've lost 2/3 of that before the day's really started. And in CLUMPS.

Yeah, my normal shower-shed is usually somewhere up around 80, and there's always at least one clump. Only a few hairs come out by themselves... though I don't wash my hair everyday, so my view may be skewed.

hennared
June 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Hennaphile - I can relate sooo much. I had a break of a few months from my last year shed-from-Hell, but my shedding is on the rise, again. Most frustrating!

Can I ask, how long have you tried the soapnuts? Like you, I like how I don't need to manipulate my hair to use the soapnut liquid, and I like the volume I get from soapnut washing. But I swear sometimes, for me, it seems my scalp sheds more when I use the soapnuts. I also seem to get a little too dry in my hair afterwards, despite using a lot of conditioner afterwards (I only condition from the ears and below, though). I'm starting to wonder if the soapnut liquid is adding a bit to my shedding.

hennaphile
June 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Hennaphile - I can relate sooo much. I had a break of a few months from my last year shed-from-Hell, but my shedding is on the rise, again. Most frustrating!

Can I ask, how long have you tried the soapnuts? Like you, I like how I don't need to manipulate my hair to use the soapnut liquid, and I like the volume I get from soapnut washing. But I swear sometimes, for me, it seems my scalp sheds more when I use the soapnuts. I also seem to get a little too dry in my hair afterwards, despite using a lot of conditioner afterwards (I only condition from the ears and below, though). I'm starting to wonder if the soapnut liquid is adding a bit to my shedding.

I've been using them about a week. When I went back to a shampoo bar for a wash, I had the massive shed, as opposed to the 10-20 hairs with soapnuts, so it may just have been gremlins.

:flowers: :flower:

Debra83
June 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Have you thought about using a two in one? Pantene makes a good one, and the cones are really good for my hair. Way less tangles = less breakage. (so I condition - wash with 2in1- condition somedays).