PDA

View Full Version : The Half-Up

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Half-ups are one of my favorite styles (right along with the herringbone braid, braided bun, chinese bun, etc.), but I've never had the length do them properly. Back when I used to cake my hair with gel and hairspray everyday, I could wear them since my hair stayed WET all day long (thus longer hair), but since I've stopped trying to weigh down my curl as much, they haven't really worked.

Yesterday, I got a brooch I commissioned from Nightshade that's MEANT to be for Half-ups. I've used it as a decorative element on buns, but I REALLY wanted to wear it as intended. ):

This is it from the back. It looks really, REALLY nice there, I think.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1671.jpg

The problem is the front.

When my hair is LONGER, I don't think I'l have a problem wearing these, but for the time being, I'm questioning whether it looks GOOD on my short hair, and I'd like some opinions, so...

Here's the front:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1680.jpg

I think it looks slightly wonky, because on the left side, there's this one curl that JUST WON'T STAY DOWN. ARGH. D< I think it lokos too much like triangle head to wear this way. Pllus, the underlayer is fine and blows in the SLIGHTEST WIND.

I'm just curious if it looks as bad as I think it does. :(

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
It's a gorgeous look. I'm totally jealous of you! I want your gorgeous curls!! Don't think it looks wonky - and don't worry about a few wayward curls - that adds to the charm.

florenonite
June 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think it looks lovely. It does look slightly lopsided because of that one curl, but that's just part of the nature of curly hair and I think it's beautiful regardless.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I think it looks lovely. It does look slightly lopsided because of that one curl, but that's just part of the nature of curly hair and I think it's beautiful regardless.
Thank you, and I like your curls! They're bigger than mine! XD For the most part, anyway. I envy that.

It's a gorgeous look. I'm totally jealous of you! I want your gorgeous curls!! Don't think it looks wonky - and don't worry about a few wayward curls - that adds to the charm.
Thank you. xD;

The thing is, my underlayer is baby fine. I'm worried that it's just going to get messed up in the slightest wind. It doesn't get any weight even if I CAKE on gel. Somehow, it just gets more delicate. ARGH.

AND THAT CURL WON'T STAY DOWN. AAAAAARGH.

curls2grow
June 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
i'm partial to half-ups -- they are my HG hairstyle when it's not summer.

I looked at your pic and I don't see lopsided. Love the look of the half-up -- the stick/slide looks great in your hair! Don't fight with the piece that won't cooperate with the rest of the gang. IMO, curly hair is never symmetrical (symmetric? Good grammer be danged!) so don't go batty trying to fix what looks great on its own.

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I agree that you shouldn't fight with any of your curls. I try to fix a funky curl and usually end up upsetting some of the really good ones. ;)

Gumball
June 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I think it looks great! You can pull it off. You're just being your own worst critic. :) That brooch looks really dang cool, too! After my third look at it I have to say it reminded me of the symbol on the meaningful package in Tom Hanks' Cast Away. Hehe. Really cool, GlassEyes! I'd sport it.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
i'm partial to half-ups -- they are my HG hairstyle when it's not summer.

I looked at your pic and I don't see lopsided. Love the look of the half-up -- the stick/slide looks great in your hair! Don't fight with the piece that won't cooperate with the rest of the gang. IMO, curly hair is never symmetrical (symmetric? Good grammer be danged!) so don't go batty trying to fix what looks great on its own.
Symmetrical is fine. XD;

It's just risen up awkwardly from the rest, and it's irritating. But I guess I'm more critical of it than others.

And the slide is AWESOME. I really can't praise Nightshade enough. :p

I agree that you shouldn't fight with any of your curls. I try to fix a funky curl and usually end up upsetting some of the really good ones. ;)
True. ): Still, it bugs me.

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Symmetrical is fine. XD;

It's just risen up awkwardly from the rest, and it's irritating. But I guess I'm more critical of it than others.

And the slide is AWESOME. I really can't praise Nightshade enough. :p

True. ): Still, it bugs me.

Yeah, my hair still bugs me tons but hey, it's hair, so what does it know. :p

SimplyViki
June 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Ooh, shiny! Don't worry, I often lament my overly smooth scalp hair, because I don't have any "wayward curls" to give the front of my updos some personality. Your curls look super soft and touchable... I just wanna play with 'em! Can I, can I??:eyebrows:

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Ooh, shiny! Don't worry, I often lament my overly smooth scalp hair, because I don't have any "wayward curls" to give the front of my updos some personality. Your curls look super soft and touchable... I just wanna play with 'em! Can I, can I??:eyebrows:

If you can reach them you can. Everyone else does. xD :shrug:

I think it looks great! You can pull it off. You're just being your own worst critic. :) That brooch looks really dang cool, too! After my third look at it I have to say it reminded me of the symbol on the meaningful package in Tom Hanks' Cast Away. Hehe. Really cool, GlassEyes! I'd sport it.

You know, I still haven't seen that movie.

And thanks. :P

SimplyViki
June 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
If you can reach them you can. Everyone else does. xD :shrug:
Yay! *fondle-squish-tugs a curl or two*

Coriander
June 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I love your new slide! I think the half-up with it looks amazing. I don't see any wonkiness either, but really do like that look on you :)

AprilElf
June 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I don't see 'triangle-head' at all. I honestly think it looks awesome, both front and back! :thumbsup:
That's a gorgeous hair brooch. :inlove:

Teazel
June 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Honey, your hair can do no wrong. Enjoy the awesomeness. :D

That brooch is exquisite! :thud:

amaiaisabella
June 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Lovely slide :) I love half-ups because I get the worst pieces out of my face (the ones that get caught on my glasses/sunglasses/whathaveyou), and still get to enjoy the feel of my "long" hair by wearing it down.

Kiraela
June 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM
It really does look fine, GlassEyes. I wish I could pull off a halfup as well, actually!

Nypsy
June 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I think it looks really good. :)

Xandergrammy
June 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I think it looks gorgeous. And I wouldn't change a thing about the way it looks in front. Beautiful face, perfect curls- very nice. :flowers:

Laurenji
June 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think it looks great--not "triangle head" at all.

I have a love/hate relationship with half-ups. Some days I think I look absolutely great with a half up, sometimes no matter how much I play around with how much I'm putting up/leaving out, it still looks funny. So maybe it just wasn't your day.

Regardless, I think it looks great. And don't worry about it looking lopsided--my hair always looks lopsided, because I have more hair on one side than the other. It drives me crazy, but most people don't notice unless I point it out. Same here, I'm thinking.

Elphie
June 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Well, I actually had to look twice to find the offending curl (AS IF!) but I still don't think it looks lopsided nor does it look triangular. Gorgeous hair brooch! You look like you're having so much fun with your new hair toys!

rose_in_bloom
June 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
That style looks awesome on you! I loooove your curls. :inlove:

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. :) You've really made me feel better about this.

I think I'm going to try to figure out SOME way to try and weigh it down before it gets worn outside, but at least I'll feel less weird about it.

Also, you should all go get hair brooches from Nightshade. All of you. ALL. OF. YOU.

*ENABLEENABLE*

Nat242
June 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I think that style looks gorgeous on you.

And WOW - Nightshade's creations just keep getting better!

catfish
June 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Dude, that looks awesome on you:D Seriously!

Toadstool
June 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM
wow you are a total babe!(in a boy way of course). Your hair AND your face are so beautiful.

tarn
June 12th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I think it looks great!
I want one! Iwant one! I want one!
Looks like Nightshade may be getting some business eh?

Pegasus Marsters
June 12th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I think it looks great, honestly. Half ups are one of my favourite styles and I love softening it with a few strands around the face. Your curls make it look even more awesome. I'm so envious of your curls, you have no idea.

Chrissy
June 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Glasseyes - Mom hat on - You are an incredibly handsome guy with gorgeous hair!!! You look fantastic and always have. I think the slide is beautiful and you wear it well. The front looks fine. I see no lopsideness at all. We are always our own worst critic.

Embrace who you are - all of it......Mom hat off.

Ryanne
June 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I think it looks awesome with your curls.