PDA

View Full Version : I've always shed quite a bit of hair...

tigerlily896
June 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hello!
I have a question that I thought many of you could help with. Throughout my life, at least the part of my life when I have paid attention to my hair (teenage years - present), I have noticed that I shed *a lot*. My hair is very thick and curly, and really on the dry side. Right now it does have some chemical coloring and highlights (which I am trying to grow out... my goal is completely virgin hair!).

However, even when I haven't had my hair chemical treated I noticed that I shed a ton! My hair remains thick (as in quantity of hair) and has always been, much to the frustration of whatever hair stylist was working on my hair at the time. But I wonder, is there anything anyone has found to decrease this? I am curious to know if there is such a thing, and what my hair would look like if I didn't shed so much.

Thanks for any bit of advice anyone might have.

Flaxen
June 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Switching to non-sulfate shampoos reduced my post-shampoo shedding by about 2/3. :grin:

florenonite
June 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm interested in this, too. A veritable animal comes off my head after I shampoo. What I've found helps with that is brushing before 'pooing. I don't use a sulphate 'poo ordinarily (I use 'poo bars, though I've been wary of trying those since I got home as we have very hard water here) but regardless of what I'm using to wash I still shed carploads.

jera
June 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hello!
I have a question that I thought many of you could help with. Throughout my life, at least the part of my life when I have paid attention to my hair (teenage years - present), I have noticed that I shed *a lot*. My hair is very thick and curly, and really on the dry side. Right now it does have some chemical coloring and highlights (which I am trying to grow out... my goal is completely virgin hair!).

However, even when I haven't had my hair chemical treated I noticed that I shed a ton! My hair remains thick (as in quantity of hair) and has always been, much to the frustration of whatever hair stylist was working on my hair at the time. But I wonder, is there anything anyone has found to decrease this? I am curious to know if there is such a thing, and what my hair would look like if I didn't shed so much.

Thanks for any bit of advice anyone might have.

Have your ferritin levels checked. When suffering from iron deficiency anemia I lost hair by the pound. It might be worth checking out because you don't mention your health or your diet and you can be anemic without even knowing it as so many menstruating women are. :poot:

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Switching to non-sulfate shampoos reduced my post-shampoo shedding by about 2/3. :grin:
I second that. Exactly what happened to me.
Also, long and curly hair do look like it shed more, maybe the shed isn't that bad, but it looks bad? I mean, I suppose you don't brush your hair between washes, right? So if the normal is shedding 100 hairs a day (which I personally find to be blown up figure!) then in 3 days of not washing or combing you'll have a hairball consisting of 300 hairs. It will look like alot, but actually not more than normal. I'm like you, I shed quite alot. Quitting SLS shampoos reduced it, but I still pull hairs all day long and still leave the shower with a hairball in my hands.
One thing to remember is not to worry yourself over it or panic. I've been though real hair loss epizode, and when you have it you know it, and it shows. HTH :flower: