PDA

View Full Version : Is there a long hair age limit?

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I am sometimes asked "at your age shouldn´t you cut your hair shorter?" Personally I don´t see why long hair should be av privilege of the young, but in my country it seems to be conventional to cut it when you´re past 35 or so. Did any of you meet this kind of "prejudice"?

fishwich
June 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It IS conventional to cut it at a certain age. What age? How short? Color grey too? That varies.

It's also pure horseflop. That doesn't vary at all.

It is our hair, we made it, and we get to do whatever the sweet hell we want with it. :)

ladylibra
June 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
My response would probably be something like, "Says who?" :p

Quite honestly, there are some women out there in the world in my opinion who would look better with shorter hair, or longer hair, or hair of different colors or textures or styles. But it's up to the person wearing the hair to decide, not me. If you like it, I love it. Just don't come bug me about what I'm doing with my hair. :D

Fencai
June 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Conventionally, yes, however I dont agree with it.
Its funny, last time I was at my parents house, DH and I were telling my dad about the fact that people say "women over 35 shouldnt have long hair" and my dad was totally disgusted at that and said he had never heard of that. He also said that women SHOULD have long hair! He loves long hair on women!

feralnature
June 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Consciously and unconsciously, I do everything to be as far from the normal or average as possible. I have a need to turn heads, whether it is because I am beautiful or eccentric, I don't care. Just look at me! And going against the grain says look at me.

swanns
June 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Its funny, last time I was at my parents house, DH and I were telling my dad about the fact that people say "women over 35 shouldnt have long hair" and my dad was totally disgusted at that and said he had never heard of that. He also said that women SHOULD have long hair! He loves long hair on women!

I like your dad :D

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
In some countries I think it is customary to have long hair throughout life. In Norway there are sects where women aren´t allowed to cut their hair at all. But it really isn´t common place to see long hair on middle aged or elderly woman.

I plan to have really long grey hair in elegant updos when I get old. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
What happened with the smiley? ...Sorry, new to the forum

cakedcake
June 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
My response would probably be something like, "Says who?" :p

Quite honestly, there are some women out there in the world in my opinion who would look better with shorter hair, or longer hair, or hair of different colors or textures or styles. But it's up to the person wearing the hair to decide, not me. If you like it, I love it. Just don't come bug me about what I'm doing with my hair. :D

Hear hear! Well-put, ladylibra.

WritingPrincess
June 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Yes, there is a "rule" in society that women older than x shouldn't have long hair. Thankfully, however, nothing of the sort exists here. :)

edensapples
June 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
YES there is an age limit, just past death. ;)

WritingPrincess
June 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Exactly! What a perfect way of stating it!

Islandgrrl
June 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
No such thing as too old to have long hair. That's just silly. :silly:

Pacific
June 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I was never told that I'm too old for long hair. It's still growing and it's natural so for me there's no need for cutting.

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Given the forum we´re in I would have been very surprised if someone said that short hair is for young people only! I did not mean to ask wether or not one should bow to conventions, but wether they do excist. And if so, are they the same everywhere?

In history short styles for women is fairly new. A short cut would have been due to a conviction or a shame of some sort. Even as late as after WW2 certain women had their hair forcebly shaved off to mark them as treitors. It is interesting I think that we now have the situation that most grown women have short hair on purpose.

In some countries women are not allowed to show their hair in public. It makes me wonder what kind of hairstyles they wear under their cover! Do they have both long or short styles?

Jason
June 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Consciously and unconsciously, I do everything to be as far from the normal or average as possible. I have a need to turn heads, whether it is because I am beautiful or eccentric, I don't care. Just look at me! And going against the grain says look at me.

That's a great way of putting it!

Who wants to follow the herd and be a clone? Long hair is one way we can celebrate our individuality and uniqueness.

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hey...some saints have been known to have growing hair even after death :D

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hey...some saints have been known to grow hair even after death :D

Lamb
June 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
That's a great way of putting it!

Who wants to follow the herd and be a clone? Long hair is one way we can celebrate our individuality and uniqueness.

Kinda reminds me of Monthy Python...
"We are all individuals!!" "I'm not..."

In some regions, short hair does the same job actually.

To the OP, I think the older you are the less people get to tell you how you should wear your hair. I remember there was a maths teacher in my elementary school who was around 50 and she had TB length hair which she usually wore in a braided bun or low ponytail. Let me tell you, noone took her any less seriously for it!

Lamb
June 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hey...some saints have been known to have growing hair even after death :D

I heard this about all sorts of people, not just saints...
This is actually a myth - neither hair nor nails grow after death. The flesh/skin shrivel quite quickly, so the hair and nails on exhumated corpses look like they had grown since the person died.

Lamb
June 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Even as late as after WW2 certain women had their hair forcebly shaved off to mark them as treitors. It is interesting I think that we now have the situation that most grown women have short hair on purpose.

Sorry again, but this just bugs me. Just because female spies had their heads shaved as punishment doesn't mean that now short hair is inextricably connected to shame or pun1shm3nt.

I don't think all those stylish modern women with shingled haircuts in the 1920s regarded their decision to get their hair cut as anything but a fashion statement. Or, of course, did it as a feminist statement, which would be quite the opposite of "pun1shm3nt" haircuts.

Hair length is a ch o i c e. Which is why a "grown woman" can get whatever haircut she wants without thinking history into it.

Idun
June 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sorry again, but this just bugs me. Just because female spies had their heads shaved as punishment doesn't mean that now short hair is inextricably connected to shame or pun1shm3nt.

I don't think all those stylish modern women with shingled haircuts in the 1920s regarded their decision to get their hair cut as anything but a fashion statement. Or, of course, did it as a feminist statement, which would be quite the opposite of "pun1shm3nt" haircuts.

Hair length is a ch o i c e. Which is why a "grown woman" can get whatever haircut she wants without thinking history into it.

Ofcourse it is a choice. I did not mean that short hair is a punishment today, as far as I know anyway. I just tried to make a point that it is relatively new for short hair to be the standard. Sorry for brínging it up.

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
If I ever get hit with that over 40 cut your hair remark, I'm just going to say that I didn't read that rule book. What :bs: !!! How utterly classless that a person would even say that to someone.

Islandgrrl
June 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
In some countries women are not allowed to show their hair in public. It makes me wonder what kind of hairstyles they wear under their cover! Do they have both long or short styles?

As a married woman, I'm supposed to have my hair covered. And I did used to do that - until about 10 years ago (I'm still married). Stupid story, but the end result is that I don't cover my hair any more. And at the time it was about to my knees.

girloctopus
June 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think so. I plan on keeping my hair long for my whole life because it works better with my hair type and my chosen lifestyle/job.

People have asked me why I haven't cut my hair short when I'm out with my son. I don't know why it matters, but people think I'm the babysitter because "I don't look like a mother." :confused: What??

Zindell
June 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Is there a long hair age limit?

Blahaa... that age limit was invented during the last century. Before that there was no limit. I say it again.. blaaaahaaaa! :D

JamieLeigh
June 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've never understood why there is such a big issue with age and hair. I'm 28, and I've always loved seeing long hair on older people, especially silver-haired ladies. I think it's beautiful, and I've never been irritated at anyone's long length. :(

atlantaz3
June 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
My 80+ year old father told me I was too old "for all that hair and when am I going to cut it off?" My response was not as polite or respectful as it should have been, but he hasn't asked me that question again!

Deborah
June 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Of course not. One can wear long hair from the time they are able to grow it long. Anyone who says otherwise is just silly.

Honestwitness
June 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm 59. Is that old? When I was 20, I thought it was old. Now that I'm almost 60, most other people seem like little kids!

When I visit my dentist, who is a very qualified dental care provider by the way. I almost want to reach up and tousle his hair, because he looks like a teenager! He's really cute!

Anyway, when I decided to grow my hair long, I looked for moral support in doing so, because it is rather rare to see gray-haired women with long hair. I found a few web sites, including this one, that encouraged long hair on any age person. That was all I needed to give me courage.

So here I am today with APL hair, after wearing a pixie for many years.

For encouragement, I have been relatively active of late on the Salt and Pepper thread. It's a huge thread, but I encourage you to go read the last 3 or 4 pages to see some LHC members who have long hair in some lovely colors, including white, ice, silver, pewter, pearl, angelwing, and sterling. (I'm collecting alternate words to describe gray hair.)

I also recommend you search the Members section and look at the albums of some of my hair idols, such as Xandergrammy, Feralnature, JKRBeloved, Teazel, Lynnala, and the absolutely stunning Silver Rainbow. (Please forgive me for not mentioning each and every Renegray, who are all important people in my long-gray-hair support network.)

earthdancer
June 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
People have asked me why I haven't cut my hair short when I'm out with my son. I don't know why it matters, but people think I'm the babysitter because "I don't look like a mother." :confused: What??

When I was first married, a census taker came to the house and asked if my mother was home! It still makes me laugh when I think about it.:cheese:

Locke
June 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I guess it all depends of the look you want to go for. In regards to men, there's a lot of factor that comes in.

I'm still young, but my current limit right now would be : if I go bald (I may be getting a crown :( ), if it goes white too quickly, or if an important job is on the horizon.

So I guess not so much age as the social and personal situation?

GlennaGirl
June 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
We've actually had quite a few threads on this exact topic and all its offshoots... :) Search "too old" or just "old" and you will probably find a bunch!

perlexquisit
June 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM
We've actually had quite a few threads on this exact topic and all its offshoots... :) Search "too old" or just "old" and you will probably find a bunch!
In many of the Asian countries (specially Southeast Asia) young women have shoulder length hair (They call that promised hair:p). The older the women are the longer hair they should have. For example, women at age 35 and up often have waist/butt length hair, and women at age 50 and up usually have knee/floor length hair. Long hair is a sign of beauty and dignity of Asian women:), at least in the old time.

McKanna91
June 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I think a lot of busy moms and working women find that long hair gets in the way or requires too much maintenance. Also, I read in a magazine one time that "mature" women should keep their hair short is because long hair makes your face look longer, therefore accentuating drooping skin, lines and wrinkles.

I think women should wear their hair however they wish, no matter their age. I know I plan to keep my hair long when I grow old. And I'm going to accept my greys and whites when they come. Who cares about societal norms... whatever happened to aging gracefully, like Cindy Joseph? :)

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/images/misc_images/Cindy_About1.jpg

lambhair
June 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM
My mom is close to 70 and has had pixie short hair for about the last 20 years at least. Everytime she sees a pic of me she always comments, "when are you going to cut that hair of yours?"...to which i routinely reply, "never". I really bothers her that my hair is so long and that I do not plan to ever cut it.

Fairlight63
June 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why women when they get older ALL have short hair & it is either straight pixie cuts or the "Poodle perm do's".

We went to my husbands plant get to gether of all the retires last week. There was a lot of people there & all of the ladies had short hair but 1 lady & me. They all looked like little clones.

earthdancer
June 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
When I was growing up, it was the norm for women to cut their hair short as soon as they got married. It seemed to be a statement that they were "off the market". I still run across this phenomenon a lot of times, including my new sister-in-law. She didn't even wait until the wedding to say that she was going to cut her beautiful long hair as soon as she was married!

jojo
June 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I think at 40 I have earnt the right to wear my hair how and whatever length I want! If others have a problem with this, well drop Opera a line, see if she gives a s**t, because I don't!!

My parents are nagging me like hell to cut mine, saying it looks a mess and blah de blah but my hair, my choice..end of!

Samikha
June 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
No. I would love for my mom to grow her chin-length hair out. However, she doesn't want to, and nor do I agree with her that I should cut mine - so we keep it as we like it. As everyone should.

LittleOrca
June 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
When you are an older woman, it seems that you are supposed to get what I call the Poodle cut... the short hair that is poofed up. I remember seeing older women do this all the time when I was little and in the salons more.

What age specifically you get the Poodle Poof? I don't know, but I do know for me it will be never. Long hair for life. :)

Carolyn
June 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
By the time you are old enough to get the comments about cutting off your hair due to your age, you are old enough to make your own hair decisions.

Roseate
June 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
43. Or the Long Hair Police will come get you.:hatchet:

I kid. As others have said, the 'long hair is for young women' thing is a relatively new convention, just a couple generations old.

My grandmother (born 1920's) did it, but her mother wouldn't have dreamed of it. For my great-grandmother (born 1890's), it was short hair that was associated with younger people, (think 1920's bobs) and long hair in an updo was the only way to go for her. My mom (born 1940's) did it, but has since grown out her locks and has lovely long hair at 63!

I think the prevalence of this also varies quite a bit based on where you are. Where I live now I see plenty of older longhairs, but where I grew up it is still extremely rare.

RoseRedDead
June 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
There is no law, no limit, no age.

There's only you and your hair. Do with it as you like, and be happy.

(Wow, that sounds all... zen-like and stuff. I just gave myself shivers!)

biggeorge
June 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I don't usually see too many long haired women past the age of 110. http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/c033.gif

SupermanSeven
June 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Long hair is beautiful at any age. Long hair on an individual creates many adjectives in my mind, and "too old," is not one of them.

Pinstraight
July 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
If you go by the beauty industry, you should hack it all off when you hit 30 and get perms and process your hair to death. All this so that other older women will like you. Misery loves company. If you look better than women your own age you will have been perceived to have committed some kind of sin.

If you go by ME you should keep it long as long as you can stand it and take care of it. I am over 50 and have approximately waist length hair since 2005. I get mixed reviews. Most of the negativity comes from other older women. They have issues about self-image and the need to conform to what they feel is society's 'rule' (who makes up these rules, the media?)

Never mind what anybody says. You can keep long hair your whole life as long as you can take care of it. You just have to have confidence in yourself and not concern yourself what anybody else thinks.

J