PDA

View Full Version : Going No Cone

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner, both heavily coned. I've always used cones because I have tried no cone in the past and literally could not detangle my hair after a shower. My hair is fine and flyaway - very easily tangled.

But, I am going to try it again anyway because my hair has been feeling a bit dry lately. I do not oil because it does not handle oiling well.

I am looking for input from those who have gone from 'can't do without cones' to 'cone free'. What were your results? And, did you see an immediate difference? I guess I am wondering if I will know if no cones will work the very first time I try it, or if have to give no cones a chance after several shampoo/conditions.

One final question - any no cone recommendations?

Thanks!

Sarah4983
June 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
hi there! I had the same ? about a week or two ago.... and after many suggestions on here I decided to stop using my john frieda brilliant brunette and leave-in cone serum I had been using for forever... and try to go coneless. It was a scary transition.... I won't lie. haha:eek:

But, so far so good! I used coconut oil last night for the first time and washed it out this morning and my hair is still damp but it's feeling very soft.

I am using Suave Naturals in coconut shampoo and conditioner as of today as well...

Give it a try! the worst that can happen is you don't like your hair after going without cones so you just start using them again.

good luck!! :)

ccmuffingirl
June 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Just wanted to tell you that before you go no-cone make sure that you strip the cone layer from your hair using a sulfated shampoo. Trust me, I had to learn that the hard way. I went immediately from cone to no cone, and my hair felt horrible. Then I read in Lorrainne Massey's Curly Girl Handbook that you must use a sulfate shampoo before you go no cone. With that said, some no-cone brands that I like are:

Giovanni Direct: Love their smooth as silk conditioner and 50:50 Balance conditioner. Back when I used to use their shampoos I liked the Tea Tree Triple Treat and the Golden Wheat shampoo. And all their shampoos and conditioners are sulfate-free.

Aubrey Organics: Absolutely LOVE their conditioners. Haven't tried their shampoos, though. Their produts are 100% natural and cone-free/sulfate-free.

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
It was a scary transition.... I won't lie. haha:eek:

It is! I had horrible results before. But, I am very curious about it again.

Just wanted to tell you that before you go no-cone make sure that you strip the cone layer from your hair using a sulfated shampoo. Trust me, I had to learn that the hard way. I went immediately from cone to no cone, and my hair felt horrible. Then I read in Lorrainne Massey's Curly Girl Handbook that you must use a sulfate shampoo before you go no cone. With that said, some no-cone brands that I like are:

Giovanni Direct: Love their smooth as silk conditioner and 50:50 Balance conditioner. Back when I used to use their shampoos I liked the Tea Tree Triple Treat and the Golden Wheat shampoo. And all their shampoos and conditioners are sulfate-free.

Aubrey Organics: Absolutely LOVE their conditioners. Haven't tried their shampoos, though. Their produts are 100% natural and cone-free/sulfate-free.

Great tip. I will search for some sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner. Unfortunately, all I have to work with here is a Walmart and Rite-aid about 45 minutes away.

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I recently went no cone, and it was a great decision for me.

If you're really worried you could always keep around some tres semme conditioner to use to detangle first thing in the shower, then do an acv rinse or wash with a sulfate shampoo. For me my hair tangles the most when wet, so I always braid after a shower.

Your hair might like oils better after its not coated with silicones anymore. Maybe after a sulfate wash you could try to do some oiling? Or use it as a deep treatment? Anyways, hope it works out for you.

jivete
June 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
It took a while before my no-cone hair felt good, like a few months. But now when I go back to cones, just to try it out, my hair feels really brittle.

For no cone conditioners, I really like the Biolage (or generic version) conditioning balm. I use some as a leave in as well and it works great.

teela1978
June 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
My favorite no-cone drugstore conditioner is this one (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172529&catid=73404). I don't really see much difference between the two... cones tend to make my hair easier to detangle, and shiner though.

*Rose Red*
June 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I went immediately from cone to no cone, and my hair felt horrible.
just like me. When I began to use cone free I had problems with combing my hair (although they are not curly). This problem consisted for several months, and I often thought about going back on cones. But I thrusted my way and now I´m very happy with my hair :cheese:

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
My favorite no-cone drugstore conditioner is this one (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172529&catid=73404). I don't really see much difference between the two... cones tend to make my hair easier to detangle, and shiner though.

I've used Loreal Vive - I thought it had cones?

ETA: Sorry, just looked at your link in detail and read the ingredients. Must be a change in formula? Because I know Loreal Vive Pro had cones before - I just used it maybe six months ago - perhaps they are using different formulas for different hair types or something?

teela1978
June 11th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I've used Loreal Vive - I thought it had cones?

Some of them do have cones. The pro nutrigloss for medium to long hair that is curly/wavy does not (or as I usually remember it, the one in the light pink bottle with the blue square :)).

ETA: the ingredients are in that link, but here they are anyway:
Water (Agua), Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Glycerin, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance (Parfum), Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Myristyl Alcohol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Citronellol, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Hydrolyzed Conchiolin Protein, Red 33 (CI 17200)

although, the shampoo does have dimethicone... I'm cheap and use suave for shampoo though...

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Some of them do have cones. The pro nutrigloss for medium to long hair that is curly/wavy does not (or as I usually remember it, the one in the light pink bottle with the blue square :)).

ETA: the ingredients are in that link, but here they are anyway:
Water (Agua), Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Glycerin, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance (Parfum), Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Myristyl Alcohol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Citronellol, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Hydrolyzed Conchiolin Protein, Red 33 (CI 17200)

Posted at the same time - sorry, I did research your link. I see ... yes, it looks like they have products that do and do not contain cones. I'll have to check it out, I did like using it (at least the cone version). Thanks!

teela1978
June 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Posted at the same time - sorry, I did research your link. I see ... yes, it looks like they have products that do and do not contain cones. I'll have to check it out, I did like using it (at least the cone version). Thanks!

It's one of the few thicker conditioners you can get cone-free at a 'mainstream' store. I highly recommend reading bottles, it's surprising what you'll find... assuming you have time to stand around the walmart haircare aisle reading bottles...

plainjanegirl
June 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
It's one of the few thicker conditioners you can get cone-free at a 'mainstream' store. I highly recommend reading bottles, it's surprising what you'll find... assuming you have time to stand around the walmart haircare aisle reading bottles...

I always get weird looks standing in the aisle reading the back of bottles.

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I really should. I just read on another thread that dimethicone is widely used because it is cheap and readily available - I haven't verified this but it does make sense - think high fructose corn syrup! And we know what that is doing to our bodies.

So, that is really what has me thinking about this. The next time I go out, I will pick some up and post my results after use.

Thanks everyone!

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Heh heh, perhaps you live in my town. I have a very small Walmart (the kind that does not even have produce, etc.) and the hair care isle is very narrow, if someone comes in beside you, it is uncomfortably close. People get irritated with me when I stand there too long deciding what to buy.

rhysiana
June 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I went cone-free shortly after joining here, and while I think you've already gotten a lot of good advice about shampoo & conditioners that might be easy to find, I'm going to second the suggestion of following up with a vinegar rinse. My hair is fine and flyaway, too, and this really seems to make a difference in how well my hair detangles once it's dry/almost dry. I use white vinegar instead of ACV, but either will work.

LawyerGirl
June 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I get better results when I use ONLY conditioner if I'm going no-cone. I use trader joes.

ccmuffingirl
June 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Here's a list of cone-free conditioners that I found surfing the web. It's not all of them, but I think it's most. I think the information may actually be from this site. I don't know for sure about shampoos, but I would like to believe if a particular product brands conditioners are cone-free, their shampoos might be as well :). (P.S. IDK how long ago the list was made, so you might want to double check the ingredients of the conditioner you choose).

Abba Crème-Masque Conditioner
Abba Moisture Scensation Conditioner
Abba Nourishing Leave-On Conditioner
Abba Recoup Conditioner
Abba Thickening Conditioner
Abba True Culrs Conditioner
Abba True Curls Activating Tonic
Abba True Shine Conditioner
Abba TruMint Conditioner
Alberto V05 Blushin' Apple conditioner
Alberto V05 Free Me Freesia conditioner
Alberto V05 Extra Body conditioner
Alberto V05 Kiwi and Lime Squeeze conditioner
Alberto V05 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream conditioner
Alberto V05 Peaches & Cream
Alberto V05 Strawberries and Cream
Alberto V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry conditioner
Alberto V05 Tangerine Tickle conditioner
Alberto V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing conditioner
Aloe Desert Herb Revitalizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing conditioner
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Replenishing conditioner
Aubrey Organics Jojoba
Auntie Rhubarb Moisture Bomb
Aussie Conditioner, Mega for Normal Hair
Australian Organics Extra Body Conditioner for Fine, Limp + Oily Hair
Australian Organics Nourishing Restorative Conditioner for Dry, Colored or Chemically Treated Hair
Australian Organics Replenishing Balancing Conditioner For Normal Hair
Avalon Organic Botanicals Therapeutic Conditioner, Revitalizing Peppermint
Avalon Organic Botanicals Therapeutic Conditioner, Volumizing Rosemary
Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner
Avalon Organics Conditioner Moisturizing Awapuhi Mango
Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Treatment Conditioner
Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer
Aveda Rosemary Mint Conditioner
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Daily Benefits
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Moisture Plus
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Volume Plus for Fine Hair
Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In Conditioner, Revitalize
Biolage by Matrix Conditioning Balm
Biolage by Matrix Fortifying Conditioner
Bumble & Bumble Leave-in conditioner
Bumble & Bumble Seaweed conditioner
Carol’s Daughter Khoret Amen Shea Butter Hair Smoothie
Desert Essence Daily Replenishing Tea Tree Conditioner with Organic Tea Tree Oil
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
Elucence Protective Barrier Balm
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment
EO Coco Chamomile & Honey Conditioner
EO French Lavender Conditioner
EO Rosemary & Mint Conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Full Volume Conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Technician Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Awapuhi, High Tide Volume Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Lime, Overboard Shine Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Mango, Massive Moisture 3 Minute
Garnier Fructis (Fine Hair)
Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer conditioner
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Giovanni Magnetic Restruxturing
Giovanni More Body - Leave-in Hair Thickener
Giovanni Nutrafix (reconstructor)
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Hemp Enriched Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Henna Hi-Lites Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Lavender Conditioner (Organic Hair Strengthening)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Apricot Conditioner (Super Shine)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Biotin Conditioner (Hair Fortifying)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Pure Aloe Vera Conditioner (Hair Soothing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Rosewater Conditioner (Organic Hair Smoothing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Sea Kelp Conditioner (Hair Moisturizing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Scalp Balancing Natural Jojoba Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Vitamin E with A & C Conditioner (Body Enhancing)
Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner
Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
John Masters Organics Honey & Hibiscus Hair Reconstructor
John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive Conditioner
JOICO moisturizer
Kenra Color Maintenance Conditioner
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Kiss My Face Big Body Conditioner, Volumizing
Kiss My Face Miss Treated Conditioner, Replenishing
Le Kair Cholesterol Plus Aloe Formula Conditioner
Living Nature Manuka Nourishing Conditioner
Miessence B5 Hair Repair Leave-in
Miessence Shine Herbal Hair Conditioner
Modern Organic lemongrass Conditioner (fine hair)
Modern Organic Glisten Conditioner (Chemically Treated Hair)
Modern Organic Mixed Greens Conditioner (Normal to Dry Hair)
Morrocco Method Diamond Mist Conditioner
Morrocco Method Volumizer Mist Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Biotin Conditioner Gel
Nature’s Gate Herbal Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Jojoba Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Keratin Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Lavender & Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Chamomile & Lemon Verbena Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Grapefruit and Wild Ginger Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Lavender & Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Persimmon and Rose Geranium Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Tea Tree & Blue Cypress Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Victorian Emerald Cypress Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Awapuhi Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Hemp Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Henna Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Rosemary Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Sea Kelp and Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Soy Fragrance-Free Conditioner
Nature's Gate Organics Fruit Blend Asian Pear and Red Tea conditioner
Nature's Gate Organics Fruit Blend Mandarin Orange and Patchouli conditioner
Nature's Gate Rainwater Tea Tree Oil conditioner
Nexxus Ensure Acidifying Conditioner & Detangler
Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
No Rinse Hair Conditioner
Organic Excellence Mint Conditioner
Philosophy the big blow off, liquid protein hair conditioner
Prairie Naturals Badlands
Prairie Naturals Chinook
Prairie Naturals Harvestmoon
Progaine Weightless Conditioner
Pro-Vitamin SYSTEME Intensive conditioner repair creme
Pure-A-Teas Green Tea
Pure-A-Teas Lotus
Redken Fresh Curls Conditioner
Regis Design Line Olive Oil Conditioner
Regis Design Line Olive Oil Masque
Sebastian Instant Conditioner
Sebastian Slinky Conditioner
Shikai Color Reflect Daily Moisture Conditioner
Suave Aloe Vera
Suave Juicy Green Apple
Suave Milk and Honey conditioner
Suave Naturals Citrus Smoothie
Suave Naturals Conditioner, Juicy Green Apple
Suave Naturals Conditioner, Tropical Coconut
TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner
TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey conditioner
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Ultra Swim - Ultra Swim Conditioner
Timotei Honey and Monoi Conditioner
Wella Balsam for dry and damaged hair
Wella Flash Flood Hydrating Vitality Blast
Weleda Rosemary Phyto Hair Conditioner
White Rain Energizing Citrus
White Rain Extra Body conditioner
White Rain Jasmine conditioner
White Rain Regular conditioner

Cone-Free Leave in’s:

Carol’s Daughter Flowers & Herbs Leave-In Conditioner-General
Carol’s Daughter Flowers & Herbs Leave-In Conditioner-Indigo
Kiehl's Leave-In Hair Conditioner
Pantene Pro-V Shining Start Conditioner

Mid-Range Cones

Kerastase Nutritive Lait Vital Proteine Conditioner
Neutrogena Clean Conditioner, Replenishing
Samy Curls Conditioner
Rusk Sensories Moist Sunflower & Apricot Creme Treatment Conditioner
St. Ives Extra Body Conditioner with Chamomile & Sunflower
St. Ives Revitalizing Conditioner with Aloe Vera & Echinacea
Suave Professionals Color Care Conditioner

Mid-Range Leave-In’s
(More To Come…)

Low-End Cone’s

Aussie Moist Conditioner for Dry/Damaged Hair
Nexxus VitaTress Conditioning Volumizer
Paul Mitchell Color Protect Daily Conditioner
Rusk Sensories Calm Guarana & Ginger 60 Second Hair Conditioner
Samy Smooth Conditioner
Shikai Henna Gold Highlighting Conditioner
St. Ives Extra Body Conditioner with Chamomile & Sunflower
Suave Naturals Citrus Smoothie Conditioner
Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner
Suave Professionals Color Care Conditioner
Suave Professionals Sleek Conditioner
TRESemme European Conditioner, Vitamin E Moisture Rich
TRESemme Total Solutions Intense Moisture Conditioner, Intense for Dry/Damaged Hair

Low-End Leave-in’s:

Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, Original
Nexxus Headress Volumizing Leave-In Conditioner
Sexy Hair Concepts Big Sexy Hair Big Volume Conditioner

Water Soluble Cones:

Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment
Suave Professionals Awapuhi Conditioner
Suave Professionals BioBasics Conditioner
Suave Professionals Conditioner, Amplifying
Suave Professionals Conditioner, Sleek

Themyst
June 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, ccmuffingirl, thanks for the list! Sadly though, as I was scanning down the list I just didn't imagine most of those being on my local Walmart shelf. There was a hair oil mentioned around here (oh I forget what it was called ... Africa something) and some Walmart stores carried it - I checked mine and of course they didn't. I live way the heck out in space, really, it's like another world out here. It's okay, though. There is basically one other store in another town, a Rite Aid. I'll try there ...

jera
June 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
When first experimenting with the cone free lifestyle I chose Nexxus products. I especially had good results with their Keraphix conditioner. :D

Gypsy
June 12th, 2009, 01:47 AM
It is! I had horrible results before. But, I am very curious about it again.

Great tip. I will search for some sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner. Unfortunately, all I have to work with here is a Walmart and Rite-aid about 45 minutes away.

I've seen Giovanni at Rite Aid for sure and I think at WalMart. If not there are still a few non sulphate shampoos there, they are not specialty store specific.
I've even seen Giovanni at several grocery stores here.
Or you can order it from drugstore.com!:)

plainjanegirl
June 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
When first experimenting with the cone free lifestyle I chose Nexxus products. I especially had good results with their Keraphix conditioner. :D

I think nexxus reformulated earlier this year and added cones.

RedButterfly
June 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, Nexxus now has cones in most conditioners, including the beloved Humectress. :(

I always go back and forth between cones and cone-free routines. I am still not sure what my hair prefers over the long term. I have trouble figuring out if color-treated, fine, fragile curly hair prefers cones or not.

Any of the Suave Naturals, VO5 or Beauty Without Cruelty hair products should produce good cone-free moisturizing and detangling.

Themyst
June 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I used Nexxus Humectress about five months ago to try and help rinse some cassia/henna out of my hair, but it didn't help at all. I was so tangled it was terrible. Well, back then I was still learning about the 'cone' thing and discovered that it did not have any. I did hear recently that they were changing their formula to use cones.

While surfing around, I'm just finding so many cone people dissatisfied with switching to no cone - discovering more split ends (because they are not 'hidden' anymore), dry, limp hair. Oh well, I guess I won't know myself until I try it. I feel kind of stupid fretting over it like this because I do not usually fuss over my hair much. I'm pretty much comb and go.

nowxisxforever
June 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Me too. I make it fairly obvious what I'm doing though by grimacing and making unhappy noises when I put some things back, especially if someone is watching.

teela1978
June 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I used Nexxus Humectress about five months ago to try and help rinse some cassia/henna out of my hair, but it didn't help at all. I was so tangled it was terrible. Well, back then I was still learning about the 'cone' thing and discovered that it did not have any. I did hear recently that they were changing their formula to use cones.

While surfing around, I'm just finding so many cone people dissatisfied with switching to no cone - discovering more split ends (because they are not 'hidden' anymore), dry, limp hair. Oh well, I guess I won't know myself until I try it. I feel kind of stupid fretting over it like this because I do not usually fuss over my hair much. I'm pretty much comb and go.

Cones do a fantastic job at making damaged hair look healthier. Non-cone routines don't always work well for people with a lot of damage because then you have to deal with the damage (dying, heat styling, bleaching kind of damage). It's doable, but requires lots of moisture and protein treatments (or going CO, which can be very good for damaged hair, and kinda requires no cones unless you shampoo once in a while). On my hair, which I like to think of as healthy, there isn't really a huge difference between a cone and non-cone routine. A little more shine, and slightly easier detangling with cones. And I get to play with all the fancy new conditioners :)

earthdancer
June 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I started using natural-soap shampoo bars from Etsy a couple of months ago, and I use Frieda shampoo for platinum blonds a couple of times a month to take out build-up. I no longer get split ends (maybe 3 or 4 every time I wash my hair, as opposed to 50 or more with commercial shampoo) and I no longer have to use conditioner. I let my hair mostly dry before I comb it and the tangles fall right out, even though my hair has damage: I bleach my hair lightly to brighten the color.

I may have to go back to oiling or using conditioner when the weather turns cold again, but for now it isn't necessary. Bonuses of not using conditioner: my hair dries in one-fourth the time, and my hair is naturally wavy!

ccmuffingirl
June 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Wow, ccmuffingirl, thanks for the list! Sadly though, as I was scanning down the list I just didn't imagine most of those being on my local Walmart shelf. There was a hair oil mentioned around here (oh I forget what it was called ... Africa something) and some Walmart stores carried it - I checked mine and of course they didn't. I live way the heck out in space, really, it's like another world out here. It's okay, though. There is basically one other store in another town, a Rite Aid. I'll try there ...

I think walmart sells Suave.

Themyst
June 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think walmart sells Suave.

Whoops, I guess I am not a good scanner. Yes, I see you did list Suave, also White Rain, I know Walmart has that one, too. :)

horseprincess
June 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I just recently started a no cone hair wash routine, I use Burt's bees hair products. I am currently using the more moisture formula. they work really well! And I've only been using them for like two days. =]

Themyst
June 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Does anyone happen to remember the thread where someone posted a list of official cone names?

I bought some Remy Fat Hair shampoo & conditioner and I'm looking to see if there are any hidden cones, there are no obvious ones.

ETA: For anyone interested, I found the list of cones, it's under 'Artilcles', To Cone or Not to Cone - posted by pariate

And could I be any more of an idiot? I completely skipped over the 'Silicone Quaternium-16' in my Remy ingredients - it's listed at #7. But, it's not in the article I just mentioned - maybe because it's so freaking obvious?!!! :hmm:

Thought I was a no coner now, maybe I'm just a low coner.

Jeni
June 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
*Possibly dumb question* The Sally's Biolage Conditioning balm is that something different form the Biotera Conditioner?

Dyan
June 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I only want to add that this thread is a real eye-opener for me because I thought I was the only one that struggled with months and months of horrid hair after going cone-free. When I first ditched cones (July 2007), my hair seemed to respond very well for the first few weeks. But somewhere around that September, it turned into the hair from .... well, you know where. My ends seemed intent on forming dreadlocks even if that wasn't what I wanted them to do. And I think it took close to a year for things to get back to some semblence of normal.

Mind you, I strongly feel that cone-free is the way to go. And I don't regret going through that transition because I think my hair is much better off now. But for a long time, it was not pretty.

Alia
June 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Going cone-free definitely meant more tangling for me, but now my hair is so much more soft and shiny. :) Add one more vote for Suave cheapie conditioners at Wal-Mart.

Themyst
July 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Update. I've been using Suave Naturals Coconut shampoo & also the conditioner. My hair was extremely easy to comb and it looks great.

According to the lists, it is supposed to be no cone and I see no 'cone' endings in the ingredient list. I just went to Suave's website and I wasn't able to find an ingredient list. I guess I have to get off my butt and get the bottle to check and make sure.

I don't know why I had such a horrible no cone experience before. So, if this is the case and it is no cone, I think I'll keep trying it to see what long term effect it has on my hair.

ETA: I did get the bottle and compared the ingredients with Pariate's No-Cone list under the Articles section. It appears to have no cones.

Mrs.X
July 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I recently went from cones to no cones and i was using tresemme too. I definatley noticed a difference immediatley after getting rid of the cones but I didn't really notice significantly more damage although i guess someone with quite a lot of damage might. I did find that my hair was a bit less sleek but nothing that a bit of light oiling can't sort out. I hope your no cones experiment goes well.

Themyst
July 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ahh. Themyst meets Mrs.X. Sounds like a comic book theme to me ...

After washing, I put my hair up in a bun so it will be hard to tell until the next washing where I might blow dry it and wear it down.

My next experiment will be to examine hairs cut from an S&D with different scissors so I know which pair to use. I do have some splits, not too many, but I'd like to head it off at the pass before it gets any worse since I plan on going terminal.

nature-head
July 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I've recently started CO only and going cone free. When and if I need to clarify I will use the Suave Clarifying shampoo...but I have been using a Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine for my conditioner. It's cone free, though it's shampoo counterpart is not. I like it because it's a thick conditioner. Maybe I'll switch to the cheap Suave after a while, but I think I'll end up using way more because of the thinness.

Good luck this time!

Themyst
July 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM
You know what, that's kind of funny because my last very bad experience with no cones was with Garnier Fructus. It was such a horrible experience that I fretted about it for days and threw the bottles out after one try.

It just never ceases to amaze me how we all get such different results from these products! I think a lot of that has to do with hair type, maybe.

Dementia1013
July 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I seem to be the minority here... I switched to No cone and had no transition problems at all. I love how soft and silky and freaking blinding shiny it makes my hair and it's so cheap compared to what I used get. I use Suave Mountain strawberry which runs roughly $.99 at my grocery store and it's 10x better than the $8.00 Herbal essences I used to get. Mind you this is my hair personally... will be different for other people.

Desideira
July 16th, 2009, 12:37 AM
[quote=RedButterfly;629323]

I always go back and forth between cones and cone-free routines. I am still not sure what my hair prefers over the long term. I have trouble figuring out if color-treated, fine, fragile curly hair prefers cones or not.

[quote=RedButterfly;629323]

same here:)

Marika
July 16th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm also going back and forth with 'to cone or not to cone'. Currently I'm using a lot of cone-free products but I still use a cone conditioner about once a week. I was completely cone-free for about 10 months and my hair was ok. Then I tried some conditioner full of cones and yes, my hair was fantastic. For me, going cone-free means more tangles but then again using a lot of coney conditioners lead to build-up issues and plastic-like hair. So the key for me has been light/moderate cone use in conditioners. Shampoo has to be definitely cone-free. I think my hair is too fine to be completely cone-free and I'm slowly beginning to accept that.

Chanterelle
July 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I am looking for input from those who have gone from 'can't do without cones' to 'cone free'. What were your results?
My no-cone experiment was a complete failure and yes, I was patient enough to wait 4 or 5 months for some positive change which never happed. My results were split ends, tangled hair and messy look.
So now I'm happily back to good ole Garnier Fructis.