PDA

View Full Version : CinnamonCurls "Vortex" bun tutorial and videos

CinnamonCurls
June 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Sooo, I got some photos take of my "basic" ballet bun, and did a few videos (which I CANNOT get to upload for the life of me, and yes I have to admit, I've never uploaded video before)

Anyways, I am curious if this style already has a nice name....the only ones I can think of would be "Cinnamany" or "Cinnamon swirl" or something since it doesn't use only one strand to create...Well, thing is this was my BASIC ballet bun, since my hair was SO thick. In ballet you want your bun to kinda extend the lines of your shoulders, neck and head, so a huge door knob or what you guys call Bee butt bun is a MASSIVE NO NO....Cinnabuns are prefered, and I took it a few steps beyond them to flatten out my hair even more...These photos are technically too low of a bun to please my old Artistic Director, he wanted the pony right at the apex of the crown, and 50% of hair n the back of the head, and 50% on the top...I used to even RUN OUT of scalp hair in the back when my hair was really long...

Here is a 3 strand...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=41478

And here is 4 strand....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=41477

And the 4 veiwed from the side....you can see how it is MUCH too low for my old AD's ballet standards, as it doesn't follow the lines of my head, or neck, or shoulders! (Well, you all probably think it looks fantastic, and it does look good, but depending on the dance style, a lower or much higher bun is needed, based on the lines the AD wants to see...)(*gasp* I hope none of my old ballet mates see this bad bun....I was sooo tired that night!!), but you can see how it's not a huge LUMP coming off the head and destroying the lines of your shoulders and neck...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=41476

I am hoping someone KNOWS the name of this multistranded Cinnabun bun, or can help me come up with a less pathetic name for it if it is technically un-named. All I know is I'd rotate between 2, 3, 4, and 5 strands cinnabun for an average work day, depending on how much time I had to get ready, or how much attention I wanted on my hair, etc....

I have a rather nice video tutorial on the 4 strand, but I cannot upload it!!! Anywhere!!

I would be willing to write out the instructions (there is a special way to tuck in the tails, so there is ONLY ONE tail to actually tuck in, etc, and if you have highly tapered hair, you have to VERY careful as it can end up massively off center)

- So please either post here with what it is already named...
- or please help me find a less pathetic name if it is indeed "unnamed"...again my lame ideas are "Cinnamany" or something like "CinnamonSwirls"
- or please help me figure out how to upload my video...
- or be somewhat patient for the instructions as to how to tuck ALL the tails, and such...

In my "non hair" photo albumn, the one with me bending over and pretending to be tying my pointe shoes, with the special Snow Flake tutu, you can see this bun, sorta, but it is much thicker (standing out from my head) than it should be, so I probably only did a 2 strand, which makes it much smaller in diameter, but much thicker, as in how much it protrudes from your head....If I really wanted a gorgeous streamlined bun for certain choreography being performed that night I'd do a 5, 6, or 7 strand so it just barely protruded from my head....however with this many strands it is a SERIOUS case of "bun eating woman's head" as I usually ran out of hair at the nape of my neck to continue pinning. So it's UTTERLY important to put the pony tail RIGHT at the apex of the crown, not on the top, and not on the back if you have lots of hair.....those of you with huge tapers will have to play with where the first coils are placed...as in I start mine with a 3 o'clock counter-clockwsie twist on the first one...you might have to begin the coil a 9 o'clock to help it not end up 60% on the right side of your head, and 40% on the left...then it's sooo obviously off center....

Oh, one last heads up...in my video, I used about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the pins I'd normally use for a REAL work day of pirrouette after pirrouette, and a few rounds of 32 fouettes, but it did hold rather nice for a non-ballet day, and I could even get the fork in the 3 strand additionally....but to estimate I used 50 or so hair pins, believe it or not...I've tried this without a hair elastic, and the 2 strand gets a bit funny, I can't figure out at all how to do a 3...since there are just SO many coils, there are SO many pins...(I've tried to make it with 10% of the pins, but then to slide in the fork makes it look like a flat tire, or a letter D due to the pressure of sliding in the fork changes all the coils shapes) but if you use the shorter pins, and place them perpendicular to the scalp hair, the "stack" doesn't hurt (if you're pinning at 12 o'clock, insert the pin at 12, but slide it towards 3 or 9, so it catches as much scalp hair as possible)

Oh, ONE more critique about my rather sleepy atttempt...you should NOT be able to see the hair elastic as you can in my 4 strand...but I was too tired the other night, so you can see my copper colored elastic....this is to be avoided unless you've got great matching elastics.

manderly
June 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
WOW! It's awesome looking. I would call it a hypno-bun (it's hypnotizing!) but I believe that name is already taken :(

ETA: It also looks like a giant lollipop!! Maybe a lolli-bun? :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/KissySquirrel/Miscellaneous/PinkSwirlLollipop060708.jpg

Bonny619
June 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I can't see it. Is that because I'm under 25 posts?

Flynn
June 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I can't see it. Is that because I'm under 25 posts?

Possibly. It looks like the giant lollipop Manderly posted, but in nice shiny hair, stuck on the back of someone's head.

SpecialKitty
June 10th, 2009, 10:58 PM
That is a beautiful bun! Maybe you could call it a pinwheel bun? But I also like lollypop bun :D

Roseate
June 10th, 2009, 11:05 PM
@Bonny- yep, come back when you've chattered more- it's really pretty!

AFAIK it's not an official named style- I do rather like CinnamonSwirls.

A similar bun was my standard style the last time I had my hair long; I would usually only use 2 or 3 strands, as I didn't have an AD breathing down my neck. Splitting the hair up really makes a more graceful bun for us monster-haired types IMO.

I'm interested to see your video!

CinnamonCurls
June 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Oooh, Manderly...."lollypop" does seem fun!...although technically it's just a really THIN Cinnabun, and it doens't show that it's a mulitple strand Cinnabun....but I do like the name!!! Sigh, Hypno-bun would really work, since those black and white circular images usually have many black and white stripes, all going into the center...I think based on the technique, and the look of a those black/white striped circle things, it's a perfect match....fooey someone took it!! (gunna go research what those black and white spiral circles are really called) Thanks for the great ideas!!

Thanks!!

Bonny, sorry you can't see it...maybe I can find a way to show you a link?

SpecialKitty - ooohhh, a pinwheel!! That is normally a toy/shape that has many spoke/curl type things, all twirled together to achieve the perfect effect, but it is made up of more than one piece....
....haha, reminds me of my old "bicycle spoke" bun that I thought was utterly cool, but everyone called it a "worm bun"!! I should attempt to recreate that one....I used it for YEARS until one year I saw a photo that someone had taken of the back of my head, and my reaction was, "whhhaaa, it looks like that??!?!?"...yeah, never did it again...but it might suit the cool and funky personalities of somepeople on here, as it really looks like a bicycle wheel and spokes, I thought it was fantastically cool until I saw a shot of me standing in the wings, waiting to go on stage, and I never did it after that night.

CinnamonCurls
June 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Bonnie! I just made it as my avatar...you should see a TINY picture of it now!

Bonny619
June 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Oh thank you! It's beautiful and I love the color!

Dars
June 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Oh yes I agree it looks like one of those giant lolly pops! :D Especially in the first picture, your hair toy accentuates it very nicely. It looks awesome, good work!

julya
June 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I think that it is a gorgeous bun, whatever you call it! Please post up some instructions!

Natalia
June 11th, 2009, 12:08 AM
WOW i dont knwo what else to call it but stunning! Lol i remember one ballet class (we were level 3 of 5 childrens) where my teacher got so mad at everyone hair falling out of sloppy cinnabuns or pony loops she sat us all down and had us do eachothers hair! An hour long bun lesson that was my intoroduction and beginning of my obsession with hair care.

Finoriel
June 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Wow, that looks beautiful!
Seems like it is a ´beehive´-type of bun, also related to the cameo-bun. I wrote an article about that in our article section. The old tutorial on the old board is not available for newer members so I figured it was time to post a new tutorial for the ´Braided beehive´ (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=130) to keep it in use. But somehow I get the feeling that our very own tutorial/article section is not much frequented, since no one seems to know/use the styles on there. Nah, anyways.
Your version is twisted, not braided - so I would suggest the name ´twisted beehive´ or ´cinnamon beehive´ for it.

eresh
June 11th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I really like lollipop bun :D
Also cinnaswirls or cinna beehive.

This bun is fantastic

AprilElf
June 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Gorgeous bun, CinnamonCurls! And it looks fabulous with the fork in the top picture. :inlove:

Would love to see some step-by-step instructions, while we wait for the video. ;)

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Oh that is beeeeeeeeeutiful! I hope it's not too difficult so I can do it.

(patiently waits for instructions passing out cheese and chocolate)

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I like 'the lolly bun', personally, but I agree. xD;

Fencai
June 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
OOO!!! How gorgeous! Im all in favor of the lolli-bun!

rhysiana
June 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I also beg for instructions on how to do this one!

And thanks to Finoriel for linking to the article on the braided beehive. I'm sure I saw those instructions back when I first joined, but I was feeling hair-incompetent at the time. Now they actually make sense! Must try this weekend.

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That is awesome. I beg instructions with others. I love big buns, and that one is great. I should measure my hair so I have a proper idea of its length in inches, and I know if mine can stand up to that.

Big buns rock!!

ccmuffingirl
June 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Looks like a yummy cinnamon roll or lollipop! Or perhaps even a honey bun with your shade of hair :). Or, if you like the sinister, you could call it the "swirling vortex" or "the parallax" because it looks so hypnotizing.

Sarah4983
June 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
wow that's beautiful!:cheese:

Pixna
June 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!! That is the most stunning bun EVER!!! I vote for the Lollipop Bun (like the one Manderly posted). Whatever you end up calling it, it is GORGEOUS!!! :thud:

Heavenly Locks
June 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I LOVE IT!! :disco:

I think "HoneyBun" or "LolliBun" would be perfect!!!

I can't wait until I can do that...

maria_asa
June 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM
That's one extra ordinary beautiful bun! It gives me even more thick hair envy than I had before.

lailmil
June 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
uaa, it's beautiful!show us the way to make it!
lollipop bun is a perfect name :D

mwedzi
June 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I really like lollipop bun :D
Also cinnaswirls or cinna beehive.

This bun is fantastic

I also vote for lollipop bun. That's a really cool hair style. I love it!

enfys
June 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM
CinnaHive, HoneyBun or LolliBun.

It's awesome, I just wish every name didn't relate to food. I'm hungry now!

florenonite
June 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
This looks like the bun for me, as my hair's getting really awkward for an ordinary cinnabun right now but isn't long enough for anything else (evil thick hair :p). Are there instructions?

WritingPrincess
June 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
This is amazing! I've been wanting a bun that will eat my head and here it is, looking stunning to boot. Please, please give us instructions, otherwise I will attempt to re-create this and get mad at you when I can't get it to work. :) I vote for cinnaswirl or lollipop bun.

Sheltie_Momma
June 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
ooooh, Ahhhhh, THIS is the very first picture on a thread that I could view (since I just hit the minimum posts to view pics) and wow, this is insanely awesomely wonderful. I have thick hair, and honestly have sort of been wondering what in heck I would do with it, once it reaches my goal of 40 inches. Now, I know! So my vote would be the "In-SPIRAL-ational Bun". OK, it doesn't exaclty roll off the tongue... :)

Natalia
June 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I like lolli-bun or vortex swirl

Lamb
June 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
What is in a name? :p This bun is :thudpile: - worthy.

Bunhive or lollybun sound fun,though.

Quixii
June 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Woah! That is so cool. Do you know how well that holds up to rolling and jumping and such? I've been looking for a good hair style for gymnastics. I would love to see if that works in my hair at all. =)

I agree with it looking like a lollipop, too.

Anje
June 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Wow.... It's a thick-hair-envy-inducing bun, if nothing else!

Lollipop bun and cinnamon swirl bun are both nice, but I'm also partial to 'vortex bun' because it sounds cool! Charybdis or Maelstrom bun?

Tracionera
June 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
What a lovely bun! I'm totally looking forward to a tutorial!

Fractalsofhair
June 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ooo Gorge! I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to try it. I suggest cinnibun? (Like the chain pastry place?) Lame idea, but the bun looks amazing! BTW. I LOVE you hair color!

JKRBeloved
June 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Gasp! What a stunning hair-do! Your hair is lovely.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Wow.... It's a thick-hair-envy-inducing bun, if nothing else!

Lollipop bun and cinnamon swirl bun are both nice, but I'm also partial to 'vortex bun' because it sounds cool! Charybdis or Maelstrom bun?
Points for the Greek Reference. :eek:

CinnamonCurls
June 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Ok, DH and I are currently fighting with our camera, computer and youtube, but we can't get the GOOD 4 strand video to load....the BAD 3 strand one is loaded...however DH didn't quite know what he was supposed to be capturing, so it's kinda off angle. So maybe with these instructions, and the poorly done video (yes, and we're sooooo sorry, right now it's flipped horizontally!!!) might help. Look up CinnamonCurls on youtube, should be my ONLY video unless the good one uploaded.

Ok, instructions....

Start with pony where YOU feel it would look best...those with gobs of hair, it MUST be where the back and top of your head meet, right perfectly on the crown, otherwise you'll wind up running out of hair to pin in the nape of your neck.

Divide hair into how ever many sections you want...for 4, just divide in half, then divide the first strand in two, continue dividing as you need strands, they do NOT have to be perfect like a braid, just relatively 1/4th or 1/3rd. I am doing my directions counter clockwise...but those of you that are clockwise coilers, should be able to figure it out...

First strand - Begin wrapping bun with one strand as if it was your whole head of hair, making sure to cover the pony tail elastic...I usually think in my head like there are hours on a clock, so I ONLY wrap for "6 hours" on the clock. Say you start at 3o'clock, so end at 9 o'clock. (or adjust to how your head demands)
-I usually do 3 whole rotations of coiling each strand in "6 hour" or more coils. You may need to do more "hours", or less, or more rotations of each coiling step, or less....but no matter what, STOP when you have 6-8" of tails left.
-I'd usually use 6 hair pins...one per hour on the clock position, but some of you may get away with only 3.

Second strand - Start at 4 o'clock, and wrap until 10, OUTSIDE of the first coil, again using 6 or 3 hair pins (you'll see how it's impossible to coil at 3 again, each coil just lays against the next...those with massively thick hair (mine is 12cm) may need to skip two "hours" on the clock, and coil this strand at 5, ending at 11)

Third strand - start at 5, and wrap until 11 (massive thick girls, try 6 ending at 12, that's usually where my 3rd strand lies) I'f you're stopping with three strands, skip to the *****

4th and each additional strands...repeat using the hours on the clock technique....I've seen it works best to stop "one hour" before where you stopped the last coil, instead of stoping them ALL at the same hour.

*****So at this point, you should have ALL your strands, Each coiled in a HALF CIRCLE, with lots of flowing hair still left to coil. Those of you with only 6" left, STOP NOW, and skip to the "tail tucking" instructions (this may NOT be a do-able bun for you, sorry:()....those with more than 6", keep doing "6 hour" coils until you DO have 6" of tail left. So lets keep going with our second rotation.

First strand, 2nd rotation - should be easy to find the original starting strand, the closest to the pony tail. Take it and coil ANOTHER "6 hours"

Second strand, 2nd rotation - find the 2nd strand, and again continue it's coil outside coil #1, keep twisting and pinning for another half circle, or the 6 hour idea.

Third strand, 2nd rotation - taking the third strand, continue it's coils until you've done about "6 hours" or so, and stop, go on to the 4th...or, if you only did three strands, begin your 3rd rotation through the strands at the **'s....if you're down to your 6-8" of hair left at this point, skip to "tail tucking" instructions.

4th, 5th, 6th, etc... - You guys should know what you're doing by now, just keep doing it....

*****So, now we're on our 3rd rotation...it works exactly like the 1st and 2nd...just keep coiling #1 outside of the last, the second outside of #1, and the third outside of #2...after a while you MAY lose track of the numbers as to which strand is which...it's positively ok, just keep doing your thing until ALL strands have 6-8" of tails...

*****Some of you may need a 4th rotation, and a 5th....etc....just keep doing what you started, wrapping the next around the one before...

TAIL TUCKING - Ok, so you've survived all the coiling and finding which strand was which, and you've probably ran out of pins buy now...sorry, you'll need just a bit more! Your bun should look great, only with these whispies sticking out at different "hours" and such, and they should be 6-8" long. At this point forget 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...as now we work backwards!

Take the tail from the LAST coil, 3, 4, 5, 6, whatever it was, for our sake I will use #4, lets say your last pin was at 12 o'clock on the 4th coil. So, that means that the last pin for the third coil should be about 11. You should be able to easily TWIST, these two together, making ONE tail out of 3 & 4...putting pins at 11, 10, and 9ish as needed
-now you've reached the last pin of #2 coil...Take #2 tail, and twist it with the remaining tail that WAS #3 and #4, pin it down...
-now you reach your last coil...you should have ONLY two tails. Combine the tail that is combined of #4, #3, and #2, WITH #1, twisting and twisting....tuck this ONE TAIL under the outer bun coils, and it should all be hidden...you sould not be able to SEE ANY tails what so ever, since we twisted tail #4 into #3, and so on and so on, and then you just had ONE tail to tuck under.

If you've reached this far, yeay!! go grab a camera, and a hair toy and show us your work!

If not....I am sorry, but try to be more patient as we try to get the bad three strand video flipped upright, and then get the GOOD 4 strand video online....Good Luck!!

Again, it's CinnamonCurls on YouTube, and I am TRYING sooo hard to get the video feed up!!! At least the 3 strand is there, you can just flip your laptop on it's side and watch I guess :p

janeytilllie
June 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
That bun is amazing! It's so beautiful! :thudpile: I too vote for Lollipop bun :D

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I checked out the video and I thought that it was very clear. Sideways, but you're just wrapping it around and around so it didn't matter. I'm so glad, I really wanted to know how to do it. Yay!

florenonite
June 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Ooh, thanks for the instructions :D

I haven't looked at the video yet, because the instructions themselves seemed clear enough (good job!), though I might need to take a look at them when I try it on myself.

Teazel
June 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Stunning! I'll be trying it out today. :cool: Thanks for the instructions!

CinnamonCurls
June 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
So I just thought of something...for those of you "short" longhairs...like BSL or so...if when you do 3 strands, and you don't get enough rotations before you get to the "tail tuck" part, try it with 6 strands or so...each strand will be thinner, and should coil around more revolutions around the pony...

FINORIEL - I checked about the beehive bun, and this really isn't too much like it technically...behive starts with each strand from a different part of the head, sorta like a french ponytail (not a real ponytail) and you FINISH each bun before you wrap the next around the finished bun...this one you complete is in sections...wrapping each coil halfway around the last, until all the length is used up at the SAME time....(still have yet to look up cameo bun.) But yes, the overall look is somewhat simular to beehive, but the technique is quite a lot different...this certainly isn't a twisted beehive, it's a cousin, or relative, since there are so many things differing than just the coils of multiple strands...a big thanks for the help though!! Perhaps we'll find a name that suits it best!

Quixii - Like I mentioned in page 1, this was MY BASIC ballet bun, and I was a professional ballerina...I woke up, put my hair up and left the house around 8am, first class, rehearsal, lunch, rehearsal, teaching the student's classes, another class for company, followed by a LAST rehearsal was my basic 13 hour work day, *but I did have a 2 hour lunch, otherwise I'd have died!!* This was the bun I trusted to get me through a workday...Yes, I used 50-60 pins, if not more...I'd have to redo it "ballet style" to see just how many pins I did use....but if you first start with pins "every other hour" and if that doesn't hold, try pins at every "hour" on the clock, for EVERY coil....the most important parts to pin WELL are the first coil bump thing, and the tails....often through the day I'd smoosh all the pins that had wiggled out a centimeter or so, but I trusted my not getting fined (yes, professional dancers got fined if their hair came out) to this bun. TO be honest, the 2 strand does hold TIGHTER, but it's lumpier on the head, but the less strands, the tighter the bun, but alas, the lumpy-er...it will never be a bee butt bun, just almost as "tall" as your regular cinnamon bun....if you want some more twirly/flipping worthy styles, we can chat, as I do have others I'd do when I didn't want to spend as much time on a 5 strand bun.

I think I go to most of the questions...let me scan through and see who I might have missed....

I did look at the video again, and it's really not as bad as I thought...it CLEARLY shows the tail tucking, but it's sorta off angle (besides being SIDEWAYS) to see how to make the bun, but you can clearly see the concept, so thanks wackyredtangles, I really thought it was worse than it is...

Fencai
June 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Wow! I thought the video was great! very clear!!!
You can bet your sweet-bippy that I'll be trying that bun out this weekend!!! (i'll try the 6 strands since my hair is only BSL)
I think this could be my new favorite bun!

Fencai
June 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Stunning! I'll be trying it out today. :cool: Thanks for the instructions!

oooo I wanna see pics!! I love your hair Teazel!!!

Laurenji
June 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM
This bun is so gorgeous. I wish my hair were long enough for it. *Sigh*....another year or two, methinks...

WritingPrincess
June 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks! For the video, if you have Vista, you can hit ctrl-alt-side arrow (I think) and it'll turn the screen sideways, if that makes sense.

florenonite
June 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oh wow! I just did that to try it out and it's so weird!

Tracionera
June 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Wow, I didn't know that Vista could do that!

CinnamonCurls, your video was very clear. Thank you! I'm excited to try this out!

Teazel
June 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
oooo I wanna see pics!! I love your hair Teazel!!!

Aw, thank you, Fencai. :hollie: My first attempt wasn't quite right; I didn't anchor the base well enough. I'll have another go in a day or two and post a pic if it looks okay. :)

tarn
June 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
What a great bun. I reckon the lollypop bun suits it too - it really does look like one doesn't it!

longhairedfairy
June 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Whoa! It's an uzumaki (vortex - also the name of a very weird horror manga/film)! That is too cool! I HAVE to try this.

ETA: It also looks sort of like a kind of snail shell.

CinnamonCurls
June 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Ok....Video of the 4 strand is ONLINE...and it's RIGHT SIDE UP!!...CinnamonCurls @ youtube
TEAZEL - Sorry to ear that it sorta flopped, but Yes, the most important part to anchor is the first 3-4" of all the inner most coils...if those are bad, the rest of the bun will be bad...make sure to get them FLAT. The inner anchoring holds the whole thing....and then you need to make sure the outer coils are pinned well too...

I counted, and I was shocked, but I used less than 30 pins...if someone can figure out the correct total number, you can be our winner! My hair is 34" long, and 12cm thickness, and I actually felt somewhat secure with the 30 +/- pins....for a day that starts with company class, rehearsal, teaching, more class and more rehearsal, you can GUARANTEE I'd have over 60 pins in the bun!!

Quixii - I have more SECURE buns that aren't exactly so gorgeous, but I NEVER had to use ANY pins, no barrettes, no nothing (well, I do have a few barrette styles too, but this one I am thinking of uses NO HARDWARE)...and it won't BUDGE an inch....buuuuut...if you were to go out at night, and hang out with your friends, you'd really want to take it out. It's UTTERLY functional, but has a score of about 0 on the beauteous side...let me know if you want to learn how to do these heavy head swirling and body rotating buns!

Well, just wanted to wish you all good luck, and I will try to get working on my "bicycle spoke bun soon....it uses over 20 strands...

longhairedfairy
June 11th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I just watched them both.:D

Isilme
June 12th, 2009, 05:36 AM
totally a vortex bun! Awesome! I'm off to read the whole thread now...:D

embee
June 12th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Amazing. Wonderful! :)

I can't even do a cinnabun, it won't stay. :( And here you are doing a multi strand cinnabun for DANCING! Gah!

Chrissy
June 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM
That is awesome. I beg instructions with others. I love big buns, and that one is great. I should measure my hair so I have a proper idea of its length in inches, and I know if mine can stand up to that.

Big buns rock!!

I love big buns and I cannot lie...............

florenonite
June 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Last night I attempted this and got a passable bun, but it was a bit wonky. Now watching the video I realise what I was doing wrong: I was using far too few pins, so getting weird bumps. I shall have to use more next time.

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I love this bun CinnamonCurls! I quite like Vortex Bun for a name, although Lollybun is a close second. I think the video as well as the instructions were very clear.

taliarose
June 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
:thudpile:

Wow. As my hair has gotten longer I've stopped doing a cinnamonbun since I couldn't get it to sit right. It would always turn into a bee but. I never thought to use more strands. This... You are a genius! I have to try this on Monday. I just hope I have enough pins. :bounce:

CinnamonCurls
June 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Aw, thank you, Fencai. :hollie: My first attempt wasn't quite right; I didn't anchor the base well enough. I'll have another go in a day or two and post a pic if it looks okay. :)

Last night I attempted this and got a passable bun, but it was a bit wonky. Now watching the video I realise what I was doing wrong: I was using far too few pins, so getting weird bumps. I shall have to use more next time.

Sorry to hear you guys aren't having such a great go at it!! If it's something in the instructions, PLEASE let me know...

Perhaps try starting with just a two strander bun...you'll get the feel, and such without all the numbered coils to worry about. Try to use at least 3 pins per half circle rotation, or up to 6, one placed at each 'hour' on the face of the clock for every coil. This certainly isn't one of those buns that everyone says "and it's only held up with 4 pins!"...no, try closer to 40...(hahaha, if you watch each video, you can see where I paused to unroll another bundle of pins!)

And yes, I only used 30 +/- pins in the 4 strand video, and it felt like it might survive a normal day, but back when I was a pro-dancer, I averaged between 50-60 depending on the coils...

In both my videos I used the short little, open 'V' shaped hair pins, they must be between 1 1/2 and 2" long, packaged in a blister pack, with two clumps of them rubber banded together (well, last I looked 5 years ago) perhaps they are Goody? This way the "stack" of that many pins doesn't hurt your scalp so much as say longer Amish pins or such....

I can't wait to see photo's of my "basic, not as boring, ballet bun" looking so fantastic in all of your hair!! Good Luck!

I am trying to work on no elastic, and WAY less pin versions, but not getting much luck....

Fencai
June 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM

*waits on the edge of her seat*

I love big buns and I cannot lie...............

LMAO!!! oh this made me laugh!

and Im going to venture a guess at how many pins you used Cinnamoncurls!... was it 26?

JamieLeigh
June 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I love it!! It definitely makes me think of a lollipop. That would be a fun way to wear hair to a child's party. (Look at me, always thinking like a Mom, LOL....:pinktongue: )

florenonite
June 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear you guys aren't having such a great go at it!! If it's something in the instructions, PLEASE let me know...

Perhaps try starting with just a two strander bun...you'll get the feel, and such without all the numbered coils to worry about. Try to use at least 3 pins per half circle rotation, or up to 6, one placed at each 'hour' on the face of the clock for every coil. This certainly isn't one of those buns that everyone says "and it's only held up with 4 pins!"...no, try closer to 40...(hahaha, if you watch each video, you can see where I paused to unroll another bundle of pins!)

And yes, I only used 30 +/- pins in the 4 strand video, and it felt like it might survive a normal day, but back when I was a pro-dancer, I averaged between 50-60 depending on the coils...

In both my videos I used the short little, open 'V' shaped hair pins, they must be between 1 1/2 and 2" long, packaged in a blister pack, with two clumps of them rubber banded together (well, last I looked 5 years ago) perhaps they are Goody? This way the "stack" of that many pins doesn't hurt your scalp so much as say longer Amish pins or such....

I can't wait to see photo's of my "basic, not as boring, ballet bun" looking so fantastic in all of your hair!! Good Luck!

I am trying to work on no elastic, and WAY less pin versions, but not getting much luck....

I got it working this morning and am wearing it now. It's a bit lopsided, but that's my fault, not the instructions. I like to think it looks classy on the side :p I've only got seven pins in it, because I've only got one half turn for each strand (and have a pin at the base and a pin at the end of each, though none at the end of the last one) and a stick holding it all together.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I wanna try.

It'll probably look like a small porcupine bun though. I need hair pins...

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I forgot to put my vote in for hypno-bun, mostly because it reminds of hypotoad from futurama. :)

Spike
June 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Love this bun!

Tried a less elegant variation in my hair (I'm just past shoulder, so I get about "five minutes" of coil per strand) last night and woah! My bun with this style is just as big as when I had tailbone length hair.

This is one head-munching bun, for sure!

mugglemomof3
June 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Utterly Amazing Bun! I think that's what you shold call it! Just kidding, but it is gorgeous.

My vote is for using the name Vortex somewhere in the title. But LolliBun works too!

Phalaenopsis
June 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
This is a fun bun! :grin:

Everytime I think that we have all possible updos covered, someone comes up with something new.

Fabolous!

Kiraela
June 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
OoOh. How about the Vortex Lollipop?? Although that sounds like a tool used by some saturday morning cartoon villain! (which, IMO, would be pretty darn cool!)

Great, now I've got a whole plotline in my head... hehe! Eeevil carnival worker makes vortex lollipops, which hypnotize people so he can use them to take over the world!!! Mwa-ha-ha-haaa!

*ahem* Sorry 'bout that.

az_sweetie01
June 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
:bounce:Wow! Nifty bun, I'll have to give that a go! Thanks for sharing!

CinnamonCurls
June 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
You know, you guys have really made my day/week...I used to belong to another HUGE board like this, only for medical conditions. When I was first a member, there was no drama, no fighting, etc, and now I haven't been there in a few years because it became hypochondria central, all drama, etc....and this board reminds me how I felt when I first found that site...but yet totally different subject matter, but same 'safe' feel. Basically almost every post is a compliment of sorts to someone, or in this case myself, and it's really given me a 'high' knowing that people are so excited by what was my "somewhat boring, basic ballet bun"...To me it just made common sense when one whopping coil got to be too much to secure and such, well, just divide the hair in two, make it smaller, and make two buns, but at the same time, one inside the other as it is made.

Oh, and girls....It can also be done as a braided bun also ;) :D ;) :eyebrows: :D...I always hated how the first braid bumps laid down so funky for ballet, so I took my braid strands, braided each of them, and then coiled them around in this fashion....beware, braided takes MORE time, as you have to braid, then coil, but I guess it deletes the twisting...and the tails are harder to tuck in the way I do so instead of you only ending up with one tail, I never did figure out a way to join all the braid tails together like you can when it's a twisted coiled bun.

Anyways, I just wanted to say how good you all have made me feel this week. I've been having a rough go at things emotionally (because of going through medical hell) since May 29th, and reading your comments and your excitement for instructions, and that if I didn't post them soon enough, I think I had one member's wrath to face if she got frustrated trying to figure it out herself. It's just really made my day and my whole week that I finally got my "basic ballet bun" photographed, and it turns out you guys hadn't seen a bun like this before, and I was shocked that I actually brought something new to TLHC.

haha, my mind is wandering....I think I am switching camps, I think thanks to this board...I was ALWAYS a quantity pinner for buns, but now I know how investing in a $40, 7" fork can hold a bun almost as well, but with so much more comfort....so for those of you that are a '1 piece of hardware' kinda girl, this bun is going to be HARD to learn...but believe me, I am certainly loving picking up on all the tips and styles for single hardware updos, I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me, since I could never find anything retail that would hold all my hair without breaking, or without 25 of them...and all I had was a figure 8 bun with a quattro like huge pin shoved through it in my single hardware arsenal. So even though I began as a 50+ pinner, I think I am switching camps to the single hardware side...

Good luck as all you all get to play with this bun over the weekend...just remember how much joy you all brough to me this week while you 'grrrrr' and think 'whhhhaaaa?? how did she?!??!', or run out to buy yet more pins, while you try this bun...

I am soooo excited to see pictures!!!!!!

Teazel
June 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Okay, here's my pic. My hair doesn't do this 'do as well as CinnamonCurl's; lack of thickness, I expect. Also, it's not a perfect job. I think I twisted the wrong way once or twice (I'm naturally a clockwise twister, but I did this widdershins because starting the base with hair hanging over it was awkward).

I've tried to make a pretty picture, at any rate. :wink:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=41661&albumid=2415&dl=1244862242&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=41661)

CinnamonCurls
June 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Yeay! Great job!! And yes, you made it a fabulous picture with the greens, browns, and the little glint of silver earrings just compliments you hair....I don't know if those colors suit your skin and face, but I just LOVE this olive green near your hair!!

(I didn't understand the end of your post "but I did this widdershins because starting the base with hair hanging over it was awkward"....)

I am trying to figure this out...I am a counter clockwise twister, and counter clockwise coiler....are you clockwise on both? If so, just reverse the whole darn thing, and do it the way that feels natural!! (I'll see if I can reverse both and see if the instructions change) I guess it would help if we say which way we twist, and which way we coil in tutorials....sigh...you did a great job though with trying to do it backwards and all!!

Now if I can find instructions to your siggy style, that's what I'll try to accomplish the next night I have some reserve arm energy!!

Teazel
June 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
You're very kind, CinnamonCurls - thanks! :) Yes, I tried twisting clockwise, which comes naturally to me, but it meant I had to coil clockwise too, and that meant passing the coils under the free-hanging hair, if you get my drift? It was just a bit awkward, so I thought I'd better do it your way. Next time I'll do it my way and see what kind of mess I can make. :laugh:

As for the style in my siggy, just look for it in my latest album and there's a link. :)

maria_asa
June 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I didn't expect this bun to work at all for me since my hair is so much thinner (2" circumference and heavy taper) but it did!
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/maria_asa/lollipopbun/right-angle.jpg

It's nowhere as impressive as CinnamonCurls' and Teazels' and I need to work on hiding the pins but it's far bigger than my usual buns and it feels very secure.

The bun was made with three strands but due to my taper the strands became too thin before running out of length so I combined two of them before making the last coil.

Tracionera
June 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
So I tried it out the other day and it turned out alright. I think I'll have to play with it a bit more to get a result that I like.

CinnamonCurls, have you mentioned what kind of pins you use?

WritingPrincess
June 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
. . . it's really given me a 'high' knowing that people are so excited by what was my "somewhat boring, basic ballet bun"I know what you're talking about; everyone is very appreciative, and it's why I love this place.

Anyways, I just wanted to say how good you all have made me feel this week. I've been having a rough go at things emotionally (because of going through medical hell) since May 29th, and reading your comments and your excitement for instructions, and that if I didn't post them soon enough, I think I had one member's wrath to face if she got frustrated trying to figure it out herself.
I hope you feel better soon! I was joking and I hope you weren't offended by what I said.

L4dybug
June 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wow Beautiful Bun! I also vote for Lollipop bun :cheese:

WritingPrincess
June 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I watched the video and I understand how it works now! I'm going to find time this afternoon to try it again. I always twist and wrap my buns clockwise, but it looks like I may have to reverse that.

Hypnotica
June 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I forgot to put my vote in for hypno-bun, mostly because it reminds of hypotoad from futurama. :)

That name is already taken.

Bunnyhare
June 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Wow , this is just beautiful! I would call it a Hair-icane!I am off to try!

coppercurls
June 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Wow, what a pretty updo. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love how the different colors and textures of hair make the same style look different. I can't wait to try this.

eresh
June 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I had a go at it too.
Dry hair > didn't want to work.
3 strands > kept turning into a weirdly shaped beebutt :rolleyes:
Misted a lot and tried the 4 strand, and that worked.
But not to my satisfaction yet! (perfectionist)
I want it to be more even and round, but oh, it was only the first try :)

CinnamonCurls, isn't this bun a bit heavy during ballet?
LOL I needed so many pins, my head now feels twice as heavy :D

Oh, any wisdom on how to hide the elastic better?

4-strands
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4042/lollizij2a.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/lollizij2a.jpg/) http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9167/lolliachter.th.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/lolliachter.jpg/)

3-strands (2nd attempt)
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6894/lolli3zij.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/lolli3zij.jpg/) http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4646/lolli3achter.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/lolli3achter.jpg/)

fishwich
June 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I had to try this. :D

This style seems to have some little trouble with fine hair--at least dry, I was plagued with pernicious flyaways. I haven't tried it wet. It certainly is comfortable and solid-feeling now that it's all up there, though. Really excellent distribution of weight.

Have a look:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3039&pictureid=41716

I like how you can see the pins a little, too--this would be a FABULOUS updo for those pins with pearls or rhinestones or what-have-you on the end.

wackyredtangles
June 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I tried it too!!

I'm going to apologize in advance for my overall fail at taking pictures. Its hard to twist around to just the right angle.

This one is in the mirror, which accounts for the wonky colors.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/jilrowe91286/CinnamonCurlsBun/cinnamoncurlsbun001.jpg

Other ear

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/jilrowe91286/CinnamonCurlsBun/cinnamoncurlsbun008.jpg

Not in the mirror, so no wonky coloring
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/jilrowe91286/CinnamonCurlsBun/cinnamoncurlsbun006.jpg

Not nearly as good as cinammoncurls', but its pretty good for first try. Its very comfy. I thought it would be a bit pathetic on my head because I'm only just barely at waist, but I think it worked out. I want to try a 4 strand with each of the strands rope braided next. =)

If hypno bun is taken I vote one of the cool vortex names.

perlexquisit
June 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
[quote=CinnamonCurls;628773]

Can you show one of the pins that you use in a photo? I am still looking for some good hairpins. Thanks so much CinnamonCurls.

windinherhair
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
That has to be the cutest bun ever! I would vote lollipop bun. :)

longhairedfairy
June 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I would love to see this with one on each side of the head, like in anime.

OoOh. How about the Vortex Lollipop?? Although that sounds like a tool used by some saturday morning cartoon villain! (which, IMO, would be pretty darn cool!)

Great, now I've got a whole plotline in my head... hehe! Eeevil carnival worker makes vortex lollipops, which hypnotize people so he can use them to take over the world!!! Mwa-ha-ha-haaa!

*ahem* Sorry 'bout that.
Hahaha! That would be cool.:D

AprilElf
June 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Here's my attempt.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/th_lollibun.jpg (http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/lollibun.jpg)

It's not flat enough to give the lollipop/vortex effect. I think that was because I didn't pin down the bits closest to the elastic firmly enough, so they kinda got pushed up by the surrounding coils. Maybe I wound them too tightly?

Also, it shows how much taper I have.
CinnamonCurls, your bun appears to show no taper at all! It's amazing! :bigeyes:

ETA: Okay, I was taking down the bun, with plans to do a dutch braid, when I decided to give this style one more go. Third time lucky! (The pic above was actually two attempts.) :cheese:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/lollibunrerun.jpg
Success! This time I used three strands - I had a hunch that three would work better for me. I knew that the bun would look better when I felt the coils taking up more of the back of my head! Still probably not flat, or high, enough for CinnamonCurls' old ballet AD. But still, I'm pleased I managed to finally get the vortex effect. :D

(The pics aren't so good, because the daylight was fading and I didn't want to use the flash.)

eadwine
June 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I tried.. I managed, it's irritating! :lol:

Pretty much all my Amish pins are in this thing. It's flat and SUPER sturdy, nothing will happen to that thing. But I think it's a lot of work. If I were having ballet classes, oh yes, definitely a good bun, but with this very virgin first attempt I am not going outside yet :lol: :

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9876/lolli1.th.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lolli1.jpg) http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8360/lolli2z.th.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lolli2z.jpg)

Biggest irritations: the band that I cannot get out of sight. And the pins all go through the center so you have a collection of metal in the middle through which you have to wiggle the newer pins. Someone with thicker hair than mine will have less problems with that one.

That idea of the rhinestones pins in it, PERFECT!

kwaniesiam
June 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Lolipop or cinna-swirl would be my name votes. I love this style, but how does it work in thin/fine hair I wonder?

eadwine
June 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Just look one post up and you will see.

It's not i thin though, so I can't judge on that.

ljkforu
June 14th, 2009, 02:14 AM
My first thought was, "Wow! what a gorgeous choice for wedding hair."

eadwine
June 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I was watching an episode of Merlin, and I believe that the bun just came sliding by. Here is a screenie:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5867/merlin.th.png (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=merlin.png)

CinnamonCurls
June 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM
CinnamonCurls, isn't this bun a bit heavy during ballet? LOL I needed so many pins, my head now feels twice as heavy :D Oh, any wisdom on how to hide the elastic better?

4-strands and then 3-strands (2nd attempt)
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4042/lollizij2a.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/lollizij2a.jpg/) http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4646/lolli3achter.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/lolli3achter.jpg/)
Looking great Eresh!!! I really like the look of the 4 strand one from the thumbnails.

I didn't find this bun any heavier than all the others I did, but I had it WAY higher than you have it positioned, so the weight was a bit over 50% on top of my head, instead of 100% on the back, pulling your head back. Plus my pins are so short, and so lightweight...but with any bun I'd do, I'd still use over 40 pins, so it didn't really matter how I coiled my hair, the same number of pins went into any bun I did.

The trick is the position of the pony tail, and the type of pins.

This style seems to have some little trouble with fine hair--at least dry, I was plagued with pernicious flyaways. I haven't tried it wet. It certainly is comfortable and solid-feeling now that it's all up there, though. Really excellent distribution of weight.
Have a look:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3039&pictureid=41716

Ohhh, so gorgeous!! Your color is amazing Fishwich!!! Every morning I always did this soaking wet, but if it was a bit too frizzy, a invisible hairnet did the trick! You did a GREAT job!!

I tried it too!!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/jilrowe91286/CinnamonCurlsBun/cinnamoncurlsbun006.jpg
Oh, it's sooo fun seeing all your hair done up in my "less boring, basic ballet bun"!!!...
I am having trouble seeing the inner coils in the right position in this shot...I am seeing a chunk of hair coming down from about 6 o'clock....I've seen this in a few of the pictures, and it seems as if you guys might be making a FULL coil rotation with one strand, before beginning the next strand, therefor causing the next strand to go OVER the existing coil...the trick is to make sure to only do HALF of a bun before starting the next strand, so you can get them all started without having to bring a strand over a coil...you should never have to bring a strand over an existing coil....does this make sense? My bicycle spoke uses that method to make the bun...not this one....if you indeed did do the bun perfectly, and it's just some fluke of the camera, I am sorry, as I am just trying to help....great job WackyRedTangles!!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/lollibunrerun.jpg
Success! This time I used three strands - I had a hunch that three would work better for me. I knew that the bun would look better when I felt the coils taking up more of the back of my head! Still probably not flat, or high, enough for CinnamonCurls' old ballet AD. But still, I'm pleased I managed to finally get the vortex effect. :D

(The pics aren't so good, because the daylight was fading and I didn't want to use the flash.)

Wow, just amazing AprilElf!! I've never seen it done so well with so much hair!! At your length it really does look like a beehive, too bad that name is already taken and uses totally different methods...oh well, I am very excited to name it a vortex bun though....great work!!!

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9876/lolli1.th.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lolli1.jpg) http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8360/lolli2z.th.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lolli2z.jpg)

Biggest irritations: the band that I cannot get out of sight. And the pins all go through the center so you have a collection of metal in the middle through which you have to wiggle the newer pins. Someone with thicker hair than mine will have less problems with that one.

Yeah, that's the problem with using too thick and too long of hair pins, it's called "stack"...I doubt mine are over 1 1/2" long (planning to photo my pin box tomorrow, DH brought the work camera home, so I can show which pins I used for what professionally)

You can almost eliminate the 'stack' while still using long pins if you do not push them ALL under the elastic...just a FEW...the rest need to be slid under the hair, and at a diagonal. So if you're placing a pin at 12 o'clock, don't push it through towards 6...instead slide it under all the scalp hair towards 9 or 3...this way the pins cross under eachother, and under the scalp hair, and it eliminates that painful nastiness under the elastic. If you're pushing your pins in from 12 to 6, you're almost getting NO support from scalp hair, since you're parrallel to it, instead of diagonal, and you're going to rely almost 100% on the stack below the elastic to hold the bun, which HURTS!!! For years I thought that was just part of the required pain for a secure bun, until I switched to shorter pins, and never put many in under the elastic except for the first few holding the start of the coil, and I use longer pins for that, to get all the way under, then I switch to my tiny pins. After making this change, the pain under the elastic was reduced to say 10%, and mine used to be so painful just touching the bun would make me wince. With my new method I would often use my bun for a pillow, and it was actually comfy!...such a massive difference...

Maybe I'll try doing a slow, zoomed in PIN tutorial for when you need massive quantity of pins, but need the bun to be tolerated for a whole day without taking it down due to the pain.

It seems another popular question was about hiding the elastic. Possibly you're using too thick of an elastic. Or too many? (I used to use 3 elastics, put in all at the same time to hold my hair TIGHT, only it gave the beginning coils SO much height that I hated it...in these pics I used only one, but there is NO way it would be tight enough to survive even one pirrouette combination.) The only other way is to get that #1 coil to lay right on top of it, if you compare my 3 strand pic to my 4 strand, you can only see it peeking out in the 4, but yet if I rememeber right, almost 50% of the elastic was showing in the video for 3 strand.....weird, I wonder how that changed!!

Ok, I will plan to photo my pins, and show you all what I am using...and try to get a very close up pinning tutorial done, so you can see when/where I use long or short pins, and how I place them in my bun.

Oh this is soooo exciting ladies to see all your hair looking soooo gorgeous!!!!

Remember if you have thin hair, just try a two strand Vortex bun. If your hair is soooo super thin that your pony tail isn't bigger than a quarter, I don't know how this would work...it needs a decently thick strand for each individual one to show up.

CinnamonCurls
June 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
So I tried to change the title of this whole thread...since we've all sorta chosen "Vortex" as a name... and I couldn't figure out how...with my old boards when you clicked edit, the title was always changable too. so you could say "Updated" or whatever in the original thread title, so people would know to check back, etc...

Lots of people edit their titles in the swap board to say "sold" or "swapped".....please help....I would like help getting this titled changed since it has a name now!

eadwine
June 14th, 2009, 04:53 AM
yeah, the pins are a bit long, but I only have like 12 1.5" amish pins, and then the rest are 2.5 and 3 if I am not mistaken. I started out with the shorter ones and worked my way out.

I did sort it out a bit yes by not pointing them all toward the center, but I hadn't thought about just angling them up yet. Good tip indeed!

AprilElf
June 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
You could post a request in Site Support for a mod to change the title.

Thanks for the comments, CinnamonCurls.
I forgot to mention that I also used a different hair elastic for my second picture attempt, which I think made a big difference. The first time I used a thick elastic, (4mm diameter) - one that I usually use for putting my hair in a ponytail; anything thinner sags. For the second picture I used two 2mm elastics, which in terms of ponytails is not as secure as having one 4mm elastic (I don't know why), but it meant that the centre of the vortex wasn't as bulky as before.

eresh
June 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks CinnamonCurls :-)

My pins are all 3" long...extra weight ;)
But yes, maybe the weight is better in balance more on top, I should start with a higher ponytail.
My brother said mine looked like a Yarmulka that has slipped down, pffft. LOL

AprilElf, wow!! So even!! Beautiful

lora410
June 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
WOW. I want to know how you made that :thud: I love the Lolli-bun name as well :D

julya
June 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I tried this out yesterday, and I think it looked pretty good. It was very comfy and secure too! I am pleased to have finally found a use for those V shaped pins I bought ages ago. I made it with three strands, and the pins I have are three inches long. It only took 14 pins! Here is the evidence:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1372&pictureid=41770
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1372&pictureid=41771
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1372&pictureid=41772

fishwich
June 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Julya, your vortex looks great! Those are some really nice smooth coils.

You know, a rope braid version of this would look absolutely sensational.

CinnamonCurls
June 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ok, I photographed all of my good ballet hair pins, since there were lots of questions about what kind I was using. The background is graph paper, and 1 square = 1/4", so it should be easy to see what size everything is. The ONLY pins I do not have on here are Amish ones, as I've never used them before.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3284&pictureid=41808

I use #1's to secure the beginning coils around and under the elastic, switching to #3's for the bulk of the bun. If the outer coils felt loose I'd switch back to #1's as then they were able to reach into the 'framework' of all the other pins and then maximize their support.

I've written very long descriptions, and where I bought the pins, etc in the description of the photo, just click on the link...I hope this helps some!

Julya - You did a great job!! I think you even got it almost near the position that I used for my ballet bun, it suits the lines of your neck very well in that position. With that much hair it is best to have some of the coils on top of your head...plus then you don't run out of room at the nape of your neck!

You know, a rope braid version of this would look absolutely sensational.
Oh you just had to go there didn't you!! I mentioned that I used to do this braided also, but not a rope braid...I think it would then actually be capable of hypnotizing people as their eyes start to glaze over just looking into it's mesmerizing spirals....

Mwaahahahaha, we've found a way to gain control of the minds of all those around us!!! It's so incredibly simple....(well, once you've made the multiple rope braids, then coiled the hair into the vortex) it's just in our hypnotizing power of our luscious long locks!! I can see the news headlines now...."Woman hypnotizes entire room without a word, only one glimpse of her hair, they fall under her control"...tee hehehhehe, giggle

julya
June 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks, CinnamonCurls! I tried it out on my mom's next, but unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but it turned out nicely as well. I think mine was sticking out a bit too much in the center, but with more practice I will get it nice and flat.

WritingPrincess
June 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I tried this for the third (I think) time with the u-shaped hairpins and bobbypins, together.

Back:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3627330172_deb38d9d94.jpg?v=0

Right:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/3627326856_7dd74707bb.jpg?v=0

Left:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3627319462_fea923b787.jpg?v=0

Incidentally, these are the first pictures I've taken of my own hair that are decent enough to post. The remote for my new camera is a wonderful thing.

WritingPrincess
June 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
And behold . . . the Super Vortex Bun!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3626746741_636b479a38.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3337/3627572510_a6b75c2e2a.jpg?v=0

I saw the suggestion to do it with rope braids and couldn't resist, but I needed my sister's help to hold the ends while wrapping them. Thank you, CinnamonCurls, for this great bun! The first time I did it I slept on it, and it was the most comfortable bun I've ever slept on. I also figured out a way to do it without the elastic, which would make it easier for me. I'll have to see if I can replicate that.

Teazel
June 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Did someone say, "Rope braid Vortex bun"? With sparkles? :laugh:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=41814

manderly
June 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM
VERY awesome looking buns everyone!!

I was going to attempt one as well, until I realized halfway through that I don't have nearly enough hair!

teela1978
June 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Teazel that looks amazing! Excellent bun cinnamon curls :)

I tried it too manderly, and it really didn't have quite the same effect!

julya
June 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Oh wow, those rope braid versions are awesome! I have yet to master the rope braid myself, so I will just enjoy them on other people. :)

Nyghtingale
June 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I can't wait to try this one. It is so pretty.

Nyghtingale
June 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I can't find the video link, where is it?

longhairedfairy
June 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Here is her channel. (http://www.youtube.com/user/CinnamonCurls)

longhairedfairy
June 15th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, the rope braid vortex looks so cool! It appears so much more elaborate than it is!

CinnamonCurls
June 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I can't find the video link, where is it?

Sorry Nyghtingale, I'd been having lots of trouble just getting the video up (it took ALL day), everytime someone opened/loaded a website, we got an error and it stopped downloading. Eventually DH and I stayed off the puters for 4 hours, and it finally uploaded completely though. I was just so relieved to have it up, I totally forgot to link to there from here.

Gothic Lolita
June 15th, 2009, 02:40 AM
How neat, CinnamonCurls! Thanks for the great video, it looks awesome and your hair is so thick too! I think I'll be doing this bun when I recieve my diploma and shock everyone with my apparently endless hair! This bun rocks, it makes he hair look much longer than it actually is :D

Anlbe
June 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Yay! This is pretty much my standard updo and I've tried to explain it to people but never managed, so happy its arrived on the LHC. I love this updo because it stays up like glue, fits under my hats and was workable from shoulder length hair. Also that it can be done without elastics which are eviiiiiil to my hair. Also with practice my BSL hair only takes four pins now. Also it makes me look like I have way more hair than I do, all is good.

eresh
June 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
/me is loving the roped versions!!

Kiraela
June 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Those are some fantastic pics. I love the rope braided versions, especially, but all are awesome. I need to try this soon (if I have enough pins!)

Sherri
June 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Did someone say, "Rope braid Vortex bun"? With sparkles? :laugh:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=41814Teazel you are my hair-updo idol.
Is there any style you can't accomplish and make look so dazzling?

AprilElf
June 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Holy Hairy Hypnosis, Batman! (Great tag for the thread, by the way, whoever did that. ;) )

Beautiful, beautiful new pictures ... :applause

Fencai
June 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
OH
my
goodness!

What Gorgeous buns you have all done!!!! I tried it dry this weekend, and it came out a little wonky. Once I get my car back from the shop this morning and go to the gym, then wash I'll have a go while its wet.

pixiechick
June 15th, 2009, 09:29 AM
This was such a pretty bun, I even tried this with my almost APL length hair--yes I made the mini-vortex. Can't wait till my hair gets longer to try again.

Has anyone tried adding ribbons? I'm not sure how you would even attach them? In the center?? Or how about Torrinpaige's hair taping but for each strand---yes, time consuming but I'm sure it would be beautiful for a special occaision?

How about the cinnavortex? Or cinnalolly? Lollitex? Ok, having too much fun with the names now.
Thanks for taking the time to do the videos--I never would have figured it out with out them.

Pixna
June 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Holy smokes!!! Those rope-braid vortex buns are simply mesmerizing!!!

CinnamonCurls
June 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Oh grr...lost my post...

Anyways, I did a 6 strand vortex last night, and I don't even feel like posting it here anymore with the amazing rope braid versions that Teazel and WritingPrincess whipped up so quickly. AlprilElf and Sherri nailed it a few posts back...Teazel, you can never take a bad photo! I think I need to get better with mine now for sure, the corner of the dining room wall near the stove just isn't cutting it anymore...I did get outdoors yesterday and did some pics (I am not supposed to be in the sun for medical reasons)....

Well, anyways, I'll post it. I wanted to see if I could get a 6 strander to lay down dry, and it basidcally worked. However I tried sooo hard to cover the elastic 100% and it didn't work...and there is that hole there, begging to be filled with a small flower, or sparklies or something! I don't remember elastics and holes when I used to do these buns, but perhaps my coiling style has changed now that I am no longer doing them every day.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=41837

WritingPrincess
June 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Wow! I love the six strand one.

ccmuffingirl
June 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yay for the vortex bun!

magpielaura
June 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've tried to do something like this before but completely wrapping each section before picking up the next. It kind of worked but always looked really messy. I think I might be able to do this...only I'm not at home and only have about 10 pins with me!!! Argh!!! Have written "pins" on my hand, will get some more tommorrow.

Merewen
June 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
This is gorgeous! I love it!

Those of you who are saying they do it without elastics, how do you do it?

perlexquisit
June 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ok, I photographed all of my good ballet hair pins, since there were lots of questions about what kind I was using. The background is graph paper, and 1 square = 1/4", so it should be easy to see what size everything is. The ONLY pins I do not have on here are Amish ones, as I've never used them before.

I use #1's to secure the beginning coils around and under the elastic, switching to #3's for the bulk of the bun. If the outer coils felt loose I'd switch back to #1's as then they were able to reach into the 'framework' of all the other pins and then maximize their support.

I've written very long descriptions, and where I bought the pins, etc in the description of the photo, just click on the link...I hope this helps some!
I cannot see anything from the link:confused:. It appears as blank page on my PC. HELP:whistle:

Islandgrrl
June 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I JUST saw this thread.

Holy. Cow. What. A. Fantastic Bun!

enfys
June 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Incidentally, these are the first pictures I've taken of my own hair that are decent enough to post. The remote for my new camera is a wonderful thing.

I wondered what you were holding!

I'm so glad this has a name now, such a good bun needs a good name.

I'm watching the video to see if I might be able to do it, but after seeing the other pictures I might not be able to show my attempts on here! I could cope with CinnamonCurls pictures because she's done them for years but the rest of you must have got it on a first go!

WritingPrincess
June 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
It's really not that hard once you understand it. Go slowly and you'll get it. My first try was a mess. Also, try it on day-old hair. It grips better then.

Nyghtingale
June 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Here is her channel. (http://www.youtube.com/user/CinnamonCurls)

Sweet thanks.

Anlbe
June 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
This is gorgeous! I love it!

Those of you who are saying they do it without elastics, how do you do it?

I start by making a small bun with the top section of my hair, secure with two pins (my hair isn't very long nowadays), split the remaining hair into two equal sections - left and right - then I take the left one and wrap it under and around the bun, which I secure by repositioning the two pins already in there, and then the right one under and around the bun and secure with a couple more hair pins.
It's a great hairdo, and one of the benefits I find doing it this was is that it stops the hair by my face being dragged downwards by the weight of the bun.

Teazel
June 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3337/3627572510_a6b75c2e2a.jpg?v=0

Great job, WritingPrincess! You've really got the vortex thing going on there. :applause:

Teazel you are my hair-updo idol.
Is there any style you can't accomplish and make look so dazzling?

Aw, bless you, there are plenty of styles I've failed at, and many more I'm too scared to even attempt! I'm still a beginner, believe me.

Has anyone tried adding ribbons? I'm not sure how you would even attach them? In the center?? Or how about Torrinpaige's hair taping but for each strand---yes, time consuming but I'm sure it would be beautiful for a special occaision?

Oh, now you've got me thinking. :hmm:

...Teazel, you can never take a bad photo!

I wish! :laugh: You only see the good ones. Thank goodness for digital cameras, that's all I can say. :wink:

I cannot see anything from the link:confused:. It appears as blank page on my PC. HELP:whistle:

You need to make at least 25 posts before you can see pictures linked from members' albums, like that one. Get chatting, you'll be able to see them in no time. :)

CindyLea1
June 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2256&pictureid=41893
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2256&pictureid=41894
Here is my second attempt at this one. I can do this! WOOHOO!!!:cheese: In fact it is the ONLY bun I can do on my hair.

It is the three strand I promise. I think I need to practice on the even splitting of the strands. The one is tiny and the others are bigger. But I was in a hurry to get to work this morning. I used the plastic Goody brand knock off of the good days hair pins, in tortoise shell color.

The first picture is before work. The bun was done with pretty wet hair. I got out of the shower, wrapped my head in a towel while I got dressed then, bunned it.

The second is after 9 hours. I had to adjust the pins because they are so bulky right in the center, and started pulling, and poking and things. That is why they are poking out here and there. This thing is solid!!!!

wackyredtangles
June 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Digital cameras with a remote? *intrigued*

longhairedfairy
June 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Oh grr...lost my post...

Anyways, I did a 6 strand vortex last night, and I don't even feel like posting it here anymore with the amazing rope braid versions that Teazel and WritingPrincess whipped up so quickly. AlprilElf and Sherri nailed it a few posts back...Teazel, you can never take a bad photo! I think I need to get better with mine now for sure, the corner of the dining room wall near the stove just isn't cutting it anymore...I did get outdoors yesterday and did some pics (I am not supposed to be in the sun for medical reasons)....

Well, anyways, I'll post it. I wanted to see if I could get a 6 strander to lay down dry, and it basidcally worked. However I tried sooo hard to cover the elastic 100% and it didn't work...and there is that hole there, begging to be filled with a small flower, or sparklies or something! I don't remember elastics and holes when I used to do these buns, but perhaps my coiling style has changed now that I am no longer doing them every day.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3177&pictureid=41837
That is gorgeous!
Yeah, a flower would look good to fill it in, and maybe some flowers in a few other places to balance it a bit. I also think putting a rubber frog in it with its little head poking out would be great.:frog: ETA: Or a hedgehog, of course. I wish we had an emoticon for a hedgehog.
ETA2: Hey, it could be a "toad in a hole.":D

longhairedfairy
June 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Holy Hairy Hypnosis, Batman! (Great tag for the thread, by the way, whoever did that. ;) )
Thanks. Adding tags is my new hobby. Hur hur;)

Milui Elenath
June 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Wow! This is the most excited I've ever been about a bun, I can't wait to try it out - when I get some hairpins. :D

brok3nwings
June 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
fantastic updo! i just wish i had hair for this eheh still, lolipop is a great idea :)

Xandergrammy
June 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm in awe how all of you have managed to do this bun. They're all gorgeous! How long did it take to make it?

:bowtome: to all of you talented bun makers.

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I tried this - but I think my hair has a magical ability to spit out pins! It looked halfway decent for about 10 minutes, and then the pins started popping out and flying across the room! I used about 50 pins, and it had fallen down less than 1/2 hour after I put it up. I love the look of it, but I think I'm just pin-stupid.

julya
June 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think it took about 10 minutes to make it, but that doesn't count the half hour I spent detangling first. And I just made a plain twisted one, without doing rope braids first.

Xandergrammy
June 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I tried this - but I think my hair has a magical ability to spit out pins! It looked halfway decent for about 10 minutes, and then the pins started popping out and flying across the room! I used about 50 pins, and it had fallen down less than 1/2 hour after I put it up. I love the look of it, but I think I'm just pin-stupid.

Kiraela, I think I have the same affliction. My hair just doesn't like having pins in it!!

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Sometimes I can make them stay for up to an hour, but past that I end up looking like a very strange hedgehog. It's nice to know I'm not alone in that!

longhairedfairy
June 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I tried this today and it looked terrible. :lol: I'll just have to practice.

UncommonTart
June 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Do you perhaps squeeze the ends together before insertion? I've heard that advice before, but it does not work for me. In fact, with my hair it's sure to result in flying hairpins. I have much better luck sliding them in as they are, without squeezing.

UncommonTart
June 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
And here's my attempt. It's a bit messy, and I have a great deal of taper, but I like it. It feels nice and secure (it should, with all those pins) and I might try it for dance class. It'd be nice if my veil wasn't forever getting caught up on my hair. :rolleyes:

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt353/UncommonTart/hair/vortexbun.jpg

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Do you perhaps squeeze the ends together before insertion? I've heard that advice before, but it does not work for me. In fact, with my hair it's sure to result in flying hairpins. I have much better luck sliding them in as they are, without squeezing.

I tried squeezing and not squeezing, and it didn't seem to affect it much either way. I think the squeezed ones may have stayed in about 30 seconds longer before falling to the floor.

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
And here's my attempt. It's a bit messy, and I have a great deal of taper, but I like it. It feels nice and secure (it should, with all those pins) and I might try it for dance class. It'd be nice if my veil wasn't forever getting caught up on my hair. :rolleyes:

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt353/UncommonTart/hair/vortexbun.jpg

...messy? :confused::confused::confused: XD;

UncommonTart
June 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
That made me feel really good, thank you! :D

See, I have a head full of baby-hairs right now, and happy as I am to see them all, since it means that my hair's finally growing back after some nasty medical issues that caused a lot of thinning, they do stick out all over the place. Since I washed my hair today, they're even more wispy and "fly away" than usual, so I have a sort of halo going on. It drives me nuts to see it in the mirror, but I suppose it doesn't show as much in a photo.

As well, I haven't yet mastered CinnamonCurls' method of tucking in all the ends, and mine began popping out all around about thirty seconds after that picture was taken.

AprilElf
June 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Oooooooh ... ahhhhhhh ... UncommonTart, that's so pretty.
I love how the center bit spirals out. (If that makes sense.) :inlove:

longhairedfairy
June 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
It doesn't look messy to me either. I think it looks very pretty and I like that I can't see a band.:)

Cassi
June 17th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I was absolutely inspired by this!!! I have been perusing the hairstyle how to section but thought my hair wasn't going to work because it's barely to my waist when wet ---dry it's BSL usually AND I have layers. Big layers. The difference between my hemline and my shortest layer is 8 to 10 inches! It kinda worked for me.

I was interrupted during my first attempt (dinner had to come out of the oven). I was trying 6 strand but it may be an 8. I got confused when I resumed after the interruption. I used 34 u pins.
http://www.richncassi.com/lhc/Vortex1.jpg

My second attempt is 4 strand. I used 25 u pins... probably the #3 size from my estimation.
http://www.richncassi.com//lhc/Vortex2.jpg
Everyone has such awesome and gorgeous hair. Thankyou SOOOO much CinnamonCurls for posting your beautiful bun!

UncommonTart
June 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
It doesn't look messy to me either. I think it looks very pretty and I like that I can't see a band.:)

Thank you! For the foundation, I used a thin Goody Ouchless hair band, the kind that I use for braid ends. It would never hold my hair up in a ponytail, but it's easier to hide than the thicker ones, and with this many pins I don't really need to worry much about it falling down.

Fencai
June 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
lookin' good everyone!
I did this bun today, and currently, its sitting securely on my head! hopefully it will last all day.
One thing I did find, is that when I used a thicker rubber band it had a stronger base. Also, since I dont have any hair pins, only bobby pins, that the "mini" size ones worked better than the "regular" size bobby pins. (Gotta get me some of those hair pins!)
The other thing, is that like Teazel mentioned, I had to get used to twisting widdershins, instead of clockwise. that made a difference.
Lastly, was getting the first part of each twist secured and flat.

I'll see if I can get DH to take a pic tonight when he gets home from work.

AutumnLeaves
June 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Manderly, I had to laugh at your post and photo. Why? Because that is exactly what I thought of when I saw the bun.

Speaking of which, CinnamonCurls, it is beautiful!

Laurenji
June 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
...So, I absolutely love the way this bun looks, but I have barely APL hair--definitely not enough to try it.

But...I just had to have a go anyways. And it turns out it doesn't look too bad! Well, if you ignore all my little layers poking out. Maybe I should have tried this with wet hair....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3108&pictureid=42070

Xandergrammy
June 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
...So, I absolutely love the way this bun looks, but I have barely APL hair--definitely not enough to try it.

But...I just had to have a go anyways. And it turns out it doesn't look too bad! Well, if you ignore all my little layers poking out. Maybe I should have tried this with wet hair....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3108&pictureid=42070

I think this is adorable just the way it is. :inlove:

magpielaura
June 19th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I did this bun last night! .....um.....no photo's though..... It worked really well, and was suprisingly easy. I used about 25 pins, and did a 3 strand one.

When I let it down I had a really interesting ponytail with 3 fat sausage curls.

Laurenji
June 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Awww, thanks xandergrammy! :) I did it again later when it was damp, and it was a lot cleaner-looking. (No picture though).

I have to say: absolutely LOVE the bun-curls this thing produces.

Deborah
June 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
WOW! What a fantastic bun! I would call it the "Cinnamon Lollipop Bun." I'm not sure I have the patience to work that magic on my own hair, but I'm sure I'll give it a try soon.

Just Beautiful!! :thudpile:

WritingPrincess
June 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
What does "widdershins" mean? /hijack.

fishwich
June 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Widdershins means counter-clockwise.

Laurenji, I love your bunsplosion. It's like a Catherine wheel up there.

Quixii
June 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
So I was drifting off to sleep last night, and suddenly wondered - what would happen if you braided the strands before you did this twisting bun? o,o (No, I don't know why that suddenly occurred to me. xD) Or would that make it some other type of bun? (I'm pretty unfamiliar with different ways to do buns, to be honest.)

By the way, I wanted to thank you for answering my questions so completely earlier. I kept meaning to say that and forgetting. ^^;

jahof45
June 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
WOW, all I can say is WOW! Gorgeous bun and excellent bunning ladies!

Fencai
June 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
ok, here's my attempt with my BSL length hair!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1359&pictureid=42289

Laurenji
June 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Bunsplosion...I like it. :) And I like that my hair is reminiscent of fireworks. It's probably partly the flash, but it's a fun mental image.

Teazel
June 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Fencai, that really shows off your brilliant colours! :inlove:

So I was drifting off to sleep last night, and suddenly wondered - what would happen if you braided the strands before you did this twisting bun? o,o (No, I don't know why that suddenly occurred to me. xD) Or would that make it some other type of bun? (I'm pretty unfamiliar with different ways to do buns, to be honest.)

I think CinnamonCurls said something about sometimes braiding the strands. I tried it out a few days ago, but didn't like the photos so didn't post them. My nape hair won't cooperate with high ponytails, it just goes wildly rebellious. Next time I'll tame it with a handful of AVG! So I've cropped out everything but the bun itself - I just called it a braided Vortex bun. Oh, and the hairtie is showing, grr.

DH said it looked like a scullcap. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/63.jpg

AprilElf
June 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Heh, heh ... skullcap. :D
It looks very cool though, Teazel!

At this stage of the 'vortex bun' development, I believe you're overlapping into Braided Beehive territory. (Probably with the rope braid version also.)
Finoriel's excellent article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=130) shows a different technique, but the end result looks pretty much the same.

Quixii
June 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I think CinnamonCurls said something about sometimes braiding the strands. I tried it out a few days ago, but didn't like the photos so didn't post them. My nape hair won't cooperate with high ponytails, it just goes wildly rebellious. Next time I'll tame it with a handful of AVG! So I've cropped out everything but the bun itself - I just called it a braided Vortex bun. Oh, and the hairtie is showing, grr.

DH said it looked like a scullcap. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/63.jpg
Oh woah, that is so cool! Thanks for posting your picture, I'm loving how that looks. =)

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone else with this bun. I mean, I love CinnamonCurls' pictures, but seeing the same style on so many different lengths and colours is just really cool! Different people add their own little twist.

eresh
June 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Teazel!! :thud:

julya
June 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
That is lovely, Teazel!

CinnamonCurls
June 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
[GORGEOUS braided vortex picture not pasted here since it's just a few posts up]

Gorgeous "braided Vortex" Teazel!!! Looks like you've got the whole technique mastered wonderfully! Even if it is Widdershins, or whatever you call it! ;) I just love seing your gorgeous pics on here every few days!

At this stage of the 'vortex bun' development, I believe you're overlapping into Braided Beehive territory. (Probably with the rope braid version also.)
Finoriel's excellent article shows a different technique, but the end result looks pretty much the same.
We did discuss this earlier on, before we chose the name vortex. "Beehive" involves taking a small section of hair, making a complete bun. Taking another section of hair below the first, and making that bun wrap around the first, taking another section of hair further dwn the head, and continuing until all the hair is gone. It basically has the construction underneath of a "french ponytail" and on top it's one strand wrapped around the last completely made bun.

Where as a "Vortex" bun starts with all the hair in a pony or one location, creating portions of each bun's coils simultaenously, so they all end are being coiled at the same time, and they are all basically finished at the same time. Not one, then the other around that, then the other around that, then the other around that....it's all being coiled at the same time, with one coil of hair against hair from that same length. Not starting and finishing each individual bun before wrapping a new one.

In the foundation (pony vs, something like a french pony), costuruction (all at the same time, vs each finishing before beginning the next), and end product (continuous hypnotic swirls vs. concentric circles), they are obviously very differing buns, otherwise I would have had call this a version of the beehive, technically, "twisted beehive" or something like that when we were discussing names early on...but it's utterly different. It was established early on that it had only one simularity to the beehive, that is -multiple strands wrapped around eachother. Where the strands are taken from, how they are wrapped, and the order/method/technique in which they are wrapped is utterly different.

I tried to find some visuals, and I didn't do as well as I hoped....

A two strand "vortex" is exactly like this....one strand being the leaves, the other being the grass

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/3021745674_9b3dc994fa.jpg?v=0

A six strand would sorta be like this: with 1, 3, and 5 being white, and 2, 4, 6 being black...

http://static.flickr.com/57/221511099_dc395888a8.jpg

And the "beehive" when looked at from the back would sorta be more like this: with the first initial bun being grey, the second braid the light blue, the third braid being blue, 4th orange, 5th olive, 6th green....Each of the buns made from the beehive is inside the other. Not spiralling together as the "vortex" does.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2832753842_4ea6d4b910.jpg?v=0

Teazel
June 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks, everyone! :flower:

I think you explained the difference between the Vortex and Beehive buns well, CinnamonCurls. The vortex technique also gives the result that the braids start fat in the middle and get smaller (to a greater or lesser degree, depending on taper) as they spiral out, unlike the Beehive.

eadwine
June 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM
That would render the beehive bun invalid then ;) Can't be done after all.

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
That's amazing! So pretty. Also have to comment on how beautiful your hair is : )

podo
October 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I did it!!!!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SbEOi8IB0fM/StZhB_KwKDI/AAAAAAAART0/Hc_p-7bAHf0/s640/vortex-bun-1e.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_SbEOi8IB0fM/StZhBREwHqI/AAAAAAAARTw/Bq06K2-bLSg/s640/vortex-bun-1d.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SbEOi8IB0fM/StZhCgDd8NI/AAAAAAAART4/ieALcJ56m_E/s640/vortex-bun-1f.jpg

My hair is so fine and thin, I ended up doing a 4-strand because the 3 and 2 didn't want to lay down right. The 4 worked out well though. I also used hair fresh from the shower, since my hair is so slippery when dry I'd have no hope of making it work. :) Unfortunately, when pushing in the pins and trying to keep the coils even, my super-slippery hair pushed in on itself, so there's a bit of lift in the bun, especially in the beginning.

Since I'm not a ballet dancer, I probably won't do this one much. ;) It seemed a little time consuming, and while it looks good (I think) I'm not sure it's something I'd bother with. The weight of the bun was a little much, even using super-light hair pins.

But it was definitely fun to try!! Many thanks to CinnamonCurls!!!

jahof45
October 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
WOW! That's fabulous!

PseudoScot
October 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Ooh, nice! And thanks for bumping this cool thread, I missed it the first time!

Pixna
October 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
GORGEOUS, Podo!!! It seems you have the perfect hair for this special bun!

longhairedfairy
October 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I did it!!!!!My hair is so fine and thin, I ended up doing a 4-strand because the 3 and 2 didn't want to lay down right. The 4 worked out well though. I also used hair fresh from the shower, since my hair is so slippery when dry I'd have no hope of making it work. Unfortunately, when pushing in the pins and trying to keep the coils even, my super-slippery hair pushed in on itself, so there's a bit of lift in the bun, especially in the beginning.
Since I'm not a ballet dancer, I probably won't do this one much. It seemed a little time consuming, and while it looks good (I think) I'm not sure it's something I'd bother with. The weight of the bun was a little much, even using super-light hair pins.
But it was definitely fun to try!! Many thanks to CinnamonCurls!!!

It's lovely!:)
Somehow the "slippery when dry" sounded funny. You could use it in your signature or below your name when you get to 1000 posts.

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Where are the instructions?

CinnamonCurls
February 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Page 4 depending on how you have your screen options set, or for sure post #40....sorry I didn't even see this reply until today...almost a year later :(

virgo75
February 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wow! All of your vortex buns are so shiney and pretty! :)

Shellby
February 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM
A. MAZ. ING. I have never seen anything like this ever before. So gorgeous. I wish my hair was thick enough for this. I may try it. Just because....:)

ALYSSA
February 1st, 2011, 08:35 PM
i cant c it

pepperminttea
February 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
i cant c it

You need 25 posts to see images. You should still be able to watch CinnamonCurls' youtube tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhVn1n8gpM) though?

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
I tried it, it's not that pretty on my hair, but it's in my avatar for the time being so you can see my sad attempt LOL

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
That is so awesome; must try!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I tried it, it's not that pretty on my hair, but it's in my avatar for the time being so you can see my sad attempt LOL

Correction: not a sad attempt at all! :) Well done!

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Correction: not a sad attempt at all! :) Well done!

Oh it's sad alright LOL...I have little hairs sticking out everywhere. I braided my pony into 4 braids and then coiled it. It's all fuzzy and a bit lopsided. I need more hair, and longer hair to make it better I think. Maybe I'll try it on wet hair another time and see if it goes better.

squintinschool
February 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
I love this bun, but can only do it decently when braided, because my hair is too short and escapes everywhere when i try it otherwise, into a messy but flatter cinnanbun like thing.

Here is my 3 braid vortex, topped with beautiful Nightblooming finishing pins:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6883&pictureid=94537

Nae
February 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Well, I managed to do this on my daughter's hairstyling head but I still don't have enough lenght on my own noggin. I guess I will keep practicing with the disembodied head.:(