PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Long Hair Model

metallica6823
June 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

My name is Dan and I'm pretty new to the TLHC and not sure if this is the proper place for this question.

My girlfriend has pin-straight light brown hair that just reached 37" and it looks amazing. She originally started growing it out for Locks of Love, 3 years ago but she just kept growing it (with some trimming).

We were discussing how she might get into long hair modeling. She doesn't want to dye her hair (never been dyed). Does anyone have any advice I can give her regarding becoming a long hair model? Are there websites or someone she can contact about it?

Thanks and I really appreciate all the help you can provide.

jera
June 11th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hi all,

My name is Dan and I'm pretty new to the TLHC and not sure if this is the proper place for this question.

My girlfriend has pin-straight light brown hair that just reached 37" and it looks amazing. She originally started growing it out for Locks of Love, 3 years ago but she just kept growing it (with some trimming).

We were discussing how she might get into long hair modeling. She doesn't want to dye her hair (never been dyed). Does anyone have any advice I can give her regarding becoming a long hair model? Are there websites or someone she can contact about it?

Thanks and I really appreciate all the help you can provide.

Does she have a portfolio of hair shots? I don't know of any webpages specifically but I'm sure they must exist.

Maybe she could construct her own page and generate some interest that way. Good luck. :)

Dianyla
June 11th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Maybe she could construct her own page and generate some interest that way. Good luck. :)
Oh, I'm sure that would generate some interest, but rest assured it might not be the kind of interest she's interested in. :flasher:

I think it's worth distinguishing between whether she wants to be a "model with long hair" vs. a "longhair model". Generally, hair models are considered the "blank canvas" to be styled/cut/colored. If the emphasis is on modeling and her hair is simply an attractive asset, she stands a greater chance of being able to honor her preferences and still be successful.

To my knowledge, the only kind of long hair modeling that is both profitable and emphasizes "virgin" unprocessed hair is also the kind that caters to hair f*tishists. If that's what she's into, fine, but we're really the wrong website to be asking in such a case. :twocents:

Angelica
June 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Perhaps haircare magazines? They usually use models wearing extensions, but they might be interested in her. I'd give it a shot. Also try television - there are so many shampoo advertisements out there who again usually use girls wearing extensions. It would be a change to see someone with nice hair actually doing these model shots. I think that is the type of thing you are looking for Dan.

Also try model agencies. You could go with her to make sure it isn't anything sleazy.

Unofficial_Rose
June 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Oh, I'm sure that would generate some interest, but rest assured it might not be the kind of interest she's interested in. :flasher:

To my knowledge, the only kind of long hair modeling that is both profitable and emphasizes "virgin" unprocessed hair is also the kind that caters to hair f*tishists. If that's what she's into, fine, but we're really the wrong website to be asking in such a case. :twocents:

Eww! Really? I had no idea there was a profitable market for longhairs catering to the dirty mac brigade. :eek: I know there were hair pervs because they've had a mention on here but I assumed they photographed/stalked unsuspecting longhairs. I suppose it stands to reason some people will want to make money "modelling" for them. Supply and demand etc...

Could she not contact a few model agencies to see if they specifically use hair models on certain campaigns e.g. Pantene, Herbal Essences, Aussie etc? I guess she'll need a portfolio, but it could be worth ringing and asking first. I mean, you get hand models, so maybe you get hair models?

Heidi_234
June 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM
There are agencies that specialize in 'body parts' modeling - there are hand models, back&booty models, feet models. I suppose they might have hair models too, maybe she should try and call up these agencies, see if there are jobs out there that she could be booked for.
Other than that - I agree with Dianyla - if she being a model with long hair would be one thing (and mean that she might be required to color/cut/alter her hair for the sake of the job), and being a longhair model would whole other thing (and probably mean modeling in hair f*tishists interests, not something anybody would be comfortable doing).

Darkhorse1
June 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I would contact any shampoo company to ask where they get their hair models, and go from there.

Like Dianyla said, there are some....creepy sites that exist for long hair gals, but I don't think she'd want to do that. Good luck!

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM

I think it's worth distinguishing between whether she wants to be a "model with long hair" vs. a "longhair model". Generally, hair models are considered the "blank canvas" to be styled/cut/colored. If the emphasis is on modeling and her hair is simply an attractive asset, she stands a greater chance of being able to honor her preferences and still be successful.

I giggled and thought thoughts that are absolutely not appropriate for this board when I read this.

enfys
June 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM
There might be some call for it with historical re-emactment. I heard there was a lot of call for people with long hair when they were casting for a peroid drama and needed Victorians or something.

No idea where you'd look for it though.

Most types of modelling will require all the products and styling normal models experience.

Moonstruck
June 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Definitely parts modeling would be one way to go with this - I looked into it a bit too. I agree that there are tons of hair models, but really, it is like Dianyla said - blank canvas. Hair models normally have really nice hair, but indeed, there's no definitive way to look at an advertisement and tell that it's virgin, unprocessed hair (or even hers, for that matter), so there's little emphasis on that generally.

If she's interested in any other type of modeling as well, you should use that as well. Very few people will book a girl ONLY for her hair, but if she's got a strong face, for instance, she could do some other type of modeling and her hair would be her main selling point/asset.

Additionally, to start out, she'll probably want to build up a portfolio with a variety of different themes and styles, and for that, she'll need lots of photographers. Besides, she needs to learn what makes a good photo and how to work her body to her advantage, basically. Arranging TFPs (Time for Prints, or time for CDs) will be her best bet to do so without spending lots. Basically, a photographer shoots her for free, and both of you use the resulting images to boost your own portfolios. Even really high-end models continually do these.
Um... an easy place to start might be something like signing up for sites like ModelMayhem.com

Cinnamon Hair
June 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
... and being a longhair model would whole other thing (and probably mean modeling in hair f*tishists interests, not something anybody would be comfortable doing).

I'm not sure why this is creepy? It is no different than any other fe*ish, isn't illegal, and does not harm anyone if done among consenting adults.

More importantly, hair fe*ish photos, that I have seen anyway, usually do not involve nudity or se*ually explicit posing at all. Hair isn't dirty and it's not a part of the body that you need to undress to show.

That said, I'm not a hair fe*ish model, but I do have a long hair website as well as a YouTube page. I get viewers of all sorts, some fe*ishists. I put it up for myself and other people who like looking at hair. I can choose who I communicate with and I do not reply to the fe*ish comments.

ETA: Not picking on you Heidi. Your post just happened to be the first one I saw on that view, so I quoted it.

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I agree: there's nothing wrong with f*+ish modelling... but a lot of us here are rather freaked out and even feel threatened by the idea of hair f*+ishists! *Laughs*

Kuchen
June 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
There are f*tishists and f*tishists. I think the ones that bother a lot of LHCers are the ones who get off on the idea of forcibly cutting a man or woman's hair and humiliating them. Those who just like long hair can sometimes have a tendancy to dehumanise/ignore the person with the long hair too though, although, yes, it's not necessarily so icky.

Cinnamon Hair
June 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
There are f*tishists and f*tishists. I think the ones that bother a lot of LHCers are the ones who get off on the idea of forcibly cutting a man or woman's hair and humiliating them. Those who just like long hair can sometimes have a tendancy to dehumanise/ignore the person with the long hair too though, although, yes, it's not necessarily so icky.

Oh absolutely! This has been a nightmare of mine for quite awhile and one reason I would never want a romantic relationship with a hair fe*ishist. I have this weird dream of being with a hair fe*ishist who eventually decides to leave me and in the middle of the night cuts my hair and runs off. Not to say I wouldn't ever date a fe*ishist, but they would have a lot of proving themselves to do for me. It would definitely need to be a more-than-hair attraction.

The way I see it wanting a partner with long hair is no different than wanting someone with blue eyes, big boobs, etc.

Roseate
June 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I agree with the ModelMayhem suggestion- good way to build a portfolio and see what kind of interest there is in her 'look'. And yeah, she is bound to run into some 'special requests' on that site or any other where she is promoting herself as a long-hair model.

I've dated two f-t-hists in the past (not hair, just good old feet. It's common.) and really, it's not that big of a deal. Just changes one's sexy outfit of choice from "low-cut blouse" to "sandals";). Liking toes more than b@@bs really doesn't make somebody scary.

Of course, LHC is definitely not the place for folks with that preference, and I'm glad our mods do a great job of keeping gawkers out!

Moonstruck
June 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I'd suggest just being really open to it. Just because some people are hair ******ists doesn't make them any different than any other people. Everyone has a different idea of what's hot and not. I like how Cinnamon Hair described it. =)
For photography though, do be aware of your rights and such. I personally always love those photos with artistic nudes and long hair cascading down, and your photographer ought to be respectful of you and such, but if it's obvious that s/he is focusing on the sexual aspect or whatever, and you're not comfortable about it, it's silly to make yourself suffer through that. They need to be professionals too.

One guy I knew in high school was a hair ******ist. If anything, he was super sweet and adorable about it - he'd ask if he could brush it out for me, stuff like that. He handled it like it were made of glass. And I guess I wasn't scared of him cutting it and running away in the night because... for a lot of people, the item being ******ized is ideally still attached to the person, haha! A long lock of hair was a strange idea to him, and vaguely scared him in how "dead" it was.

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I'm not sure why this is creepy? It is no different than any other fe*ish, isn't illegal, and does not harm anyone if done among consenting adults.

More importantly, hair fe*ish photos, that I have seen anyway, usually do not involve nudity or se*ually explicit posing at all. Hair isn't dirty and it's not a part of the body that you need to undress to show.

That said, I'm not a hair fe*ish model, but I do have a long hair website as well as a YouTube page. I get viewers of all sorts, some fe*ishists. I put it up for myself and other people who like looking at hair. I can choose who I communicate with and I do not reply to the fe*ish comments.

ETA: Not picking on you Heidi. Your post just happened to be the first one I saw on that view, so I quoted it.
It's okay. I actually thought of starting a topic a while ago and ask who would be comfortable doing videos/pictures for f*tish sites. I'm not saying it's wrong or illegal, or even harmful, but I believe some people would find it little bit uncomfortable or even creepy as it borderlines p*rnography. I know that I would think twice if offered such a 'gig'.

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM
It's okay. I actually thought of starting a topic a while ago and ask who would be comfortable doing videos/pictures for f*tish sites. I'm not saying it's wrong or illegal, or even harmful, but I believe some people would find it little bit uncomfortable or even creepy as it borderlines p*rnography. I know that I would think twice if offered such a 'gig'.

Oh, likewise, but I'd also hesitate for a lot of other things, like, say corset modelling (I've been soooo tempted at ever Gallery Serpentine callout... but that's irrelevant to this topic and this forum.)

metallica6823
June 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Wow thank you for all the responses! She definitely would prefer being a model with long hair, as opposed to a long hair model, but you never know. I do agree with Cinnamon Hair in that wanting someone with long hair is much like wanting any other feature about a woman, and I really do like helping her take care of it. I suggested she try asking the hair salon when she gets a trim soon. She really does want to model it but she's kinda shy (here I am asking about it, instead of her).

From looking around for places/people to contact, it seems like only hair products and ads are the only non-fe*ish things out there.

Why would anyone want to cut someone's hair off in their sleep? Those people creep me out.

Gingevere
June 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Take a look at Body Parts Models (http://www.bodypartsmodels.com/home.html). Many of the models in their hair department have long, virgin hair.