PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hating washing/combing hair?

Speckla
June 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I like clean, tangle-free hair but hate having to shampoo and comb it out...:mad: Why can't hair detangle on its own?:confused: I feel like I'm pulling out a million hairs and I'm so afraid of breakage. Am I nuts to be this distressed over something as simple as hair hygiene??

wackyredtangles
June 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Detangling is no fun. I put a bunch of conditioner in, and detangle that way. I think I'm a bit weird on the boards because I comb when wet, but I just can't do it when its dry. The knots don't come out.

I know you probably already know this, but keeping hair contained in some way is a great way to keep from detangling too much. I wash my hair, let it dry for a little bit, and then french braid. For me it seems to get the most tangled when its wet, not sure why that is. Besides that sleeping with it in a braid or a secure bun, and keeping it in some sort of secure style 90% of the time really cuts down on the detangling. I barely finger comb between washes, and just comb during washes, and its not too bad.

hennared
June 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
You are not alone!! Since my big shed started (mostly last year.. still lingering), and I lost a lot of volume, I have come to detest combing and washing, too. Though, I do find that by combing slowly and carefully with a wide tooth bone comb before washing means at least the washing goes fairly smoothly. And I no longer comb my hair at all until it's dry, that helps. If I have time, I like to entirely wrap my hair in a light t shirt/cotton fabric till it is dry; keeping it bound and out of my way when wet, I don't worry about it as much. Looks like you have a lot of curl.. that helps one get away with combing less, at least!

Dars
June 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I don't hate washing my hair but detangling is a pain! I use a wide toothed comb with conditioner in my hair and as my hair gets longer it takes more and more effort. My arms start to hurt! I'm a bit of a weakling though :o

redemption_song
June 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Washing and detangling is my least favorite part of having long hair, it is tedious and painful .

Aisha25
June 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yes I hate even messing with it I wish I can just braid it once and dont have to bother with it anymore for like a mont. Ooo I wish.....

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I don't mind it.

Shampoo is a rarity in my washes, so I jsut comb through with conditioner, and my hair is happy to make way for it. xD; On the rare occasion that there's actual TANGLES, I guess it's a pain.

mira-chan
June 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Water and I are not friends. I do what is necessary using it but beyond that, ugh. Hair washing is something I'm not fond of. I do it once a week or less so that makes it not so bad.

Teacherbear
June 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Spekla, I don't like combing my hair: wet or dry. So I stopped. I now use a Denman comb and it makes my life and hair-styling much easier!

When it comes to washing, I don't mind washing it, i just worry about rinsing it well enough and what to do with it while it dries (braid, bun, leave loose - decisions decisions! )

getoffmyskittle
June 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I don't like washing my hair at all. It's a gigantic chore.

viking_quest
June 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I hate everything that goes into the process of taking care of my hair. I wish I could just bun it and look nice without having to wash it or detangle.

Bonny619
June 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
My hair isn't even that long and I don't like dealing with tangles.

RancheroTheBee
June 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I hate washing my hair. I hate the feeling of sopping wet hair dripping onto my shirt, I hate waiting three hours for it to dry, I hate having to plan ahead when I'm going to wash it next. Being bald was so much easier.

Arctic_Mama
June 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I hate the feeling of wet hair and hate brushing, if I could just keep it up and out of my way for months on end I totally would! Unfortunately my SB makes my scalp a nightmare so despite the condition of my hair I cannot go more than ten days without washing, and usually wash once a week or so.

I don't mind detangling per se, I am just too impatient to take it as slowly as I should.

physicschick
June 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I hate everything that goes into the process of taking care of my hair. I wish I could just bun it and look nice without having to wash it or detangle.

Hear hear! Actually, I'm okay with detangling lately since my hair is in a less-tangly phase, but I'm tired of everything else.

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't have any problems with shampoo as long as it's not SLS - I just hate detangling. It's an evil necessity. No amount of moisture or protein will keep my hair tangle free. I know that it's not breaking or being ruined but it just seems like it. I have a lot of sheds collecting (100 or more per day - totally normal shed rate for me) because I only comb maybe once a week. I have a good handful or two sometimes. I cowash every other day and finger detangle but this doesn't get all the hair. I hate wash days but oh well.

I shampoo'd my hair last night, conditioned, oiled, and then blotted the extra water out before adding a tad more conditioner so I could comb it out. It took 30 minutes because I have to do a small section at a time. I start at the end, do the middle, go to the top and then repeat. My hair was still fairly wet so I just did an overnight plop with my silk bonnet. Not too bad this am. I just added a tad bit of mousse and UV protective condish.

Peter
June 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I don't like washing my hair because of the time it takes, the drying time, and the feeling of wet hair.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I don't have any problems with shampoo as long as it's not SLS - I just hate detangling. It's an evil necessity. No amount of moisture or protein will keep my hair tangle free. I know that it's not breaking or being ruined but it just seems like it. I have a lot of sheds collecting (100 or more per day - totally normal shed rate for me) because I only comb maybe once a week. I have a good handful or two sometimes. I cowash every other day and finger detangle but this doesn't get all the hair. I hate wash days but oh well.

I shampoo'd my hair last night, conditioned, oiled, and then blotted the extra water out before adding a tad more conditioner so I could comb it out. It took 30 minutes because I have to do a small section at a time. I start at the end, do the middle, go to the top and then repeat. My hair was still fairly wet so I just did an overnight plop with my silk bonnet. Not too bad this am. I just added a tad bit of mousse and UV protective condish.
Why not just comb in the condition phase instead of at the end? :shrug: That's easiest for me, since I use more as a rinse-out than a leave-in.

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Why not just comb in the condition phase instead of at the end? :shrug: That's easiest for me, since I use more as a rinse-out than a leave-in.

My hair eats conditioner - I have to add it before combing so I can break up the biggest tangles with my fingers or else there'd be no chance of me getting a comb through them. I add more conditioner as I go along because my hair eats it up fast. My hair is rather porous when it's wet.

Carolyn
June 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Speckla, do you detangle before wetting your hair? And what position to you wash in? Are you standing in the shower or sitting in the tub or are you flipping it over? Flipping it over in front of your face gives me tangles if I don't detangle it in that position. Back in the archives there should be a thread or maybe it's a journal entry by Accolady (Karen Marie) about detangling in the shower and combing out tangles. If you can find it, that might be of some help.

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Speckla, do you detangle before wetting your hair? And what position to you wash in? Are you standing in the shower or sitting in the tub or are you flipping it over? Flipping it over in front of your face gives me tangles if I don't detangle it in that position. Back in the archives there should be a thread or maybe it's a journal entry by Accolady (Karen Marie) about detangling in the shower and combing out tangles. If you can find it, that might be of some help.

I wash my hair in the tub and I tip my head backwards and pour water with a cup onto it. I can't get my fingers through my hair when it's dry. I've tried to detangle in the tub or shower when my hair is drenched in conditioner but get too much breakage when it's dripping wet. I'm still in the experimenting stage with my hair and so far the conditioner before and while combing is helping. The coconut oil has made a big difference. I just hate having to wet and comb at all. I add conditoner to my ends first and then some to my hands and work my fingers through first. I couldn't get a comb through my hair other wise. It's just stubborn.

Carolyn,
I just looked in the archives...my eyes! Wow is there a lot of thread. I am going to keep searching. Thank you.

Kiraela
June 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I don't mind washing, but detangling afterwards? Oh yes. That I hate. Regular day-to-day detangling isn't so bad, usually.

Blue Willow
June 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I enjoy washing my hair and it loves me for it, feels & looks so wonderful after how could I hate that??no way! As for detangling I hardly ever have much in the way of tangles..I'm 99% tangle-free and comb thru is a breeze..For the well being it gives me taking care of my hair is time well spent and the wealth of healthy fresh sweet smelling hair is one of natures best gifts..

viking_quest
June 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hear hear! Actually, I'm okay with detangling lately since my hair is in a less-tangly phase, but I'm tired of everything else.

I want a less-tangly phase. My hair tangles at the slightest touch and tangles immediately after I detangle it. I don't see the point in doing it anymore.

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
My hair eats conditioner For some reason this made me giggle I guess because mine seems to do the same thing!

I am glad I am not the only one who hates washing, detangling, the feeling of wet hair, waiting for it to dry etc. The longer mine gets the more I hate it. Maybe if my hair didn't take forever to dry it wouldn't be so bad. Also I can't touch it while it's drying or it frizzes. :rolleyes:

Speckla
June 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
For some reason this made me giggle I guess because mine seems to do the same thing!

I am glad I am not the only one who hates washing, detangling, the feeling of wet hair, waiting for it to dry etc. The longer mine gets the more I hate it. Maybe if my hair didn't take forever to dry it wouldn't be so bad. Also I can't touch it while it's drying or it frizzes. :rolleyes:

I'll never be rid of frizz or tangles...'tis the joy of being a curly. :cheese:

physicschick
June 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I want a less-tangly phase. My hair tangles at the slightest touch and tangles immediately after I detangle it. I don't see the point in doing it anymore.

My last extra-tangly phase ended when I went swimming in salt water. First I did a heavy oiling (I think it was coconut), then went swimming, then sat around with salty hair for a few hours before I went home and washed it. It was the weirdest thing. If it ever gets extra-tangly again, I plan to try duplicating this in my bathtub using bath salts. (I still get tangles all the time, but at least I can comb them out.)

I hope you can find a good solution. Tanges are so annoying sometimes, aren't they?

Nicoliee
January 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
I don't hate washing but I dont really like combing.

turquoisebud
January 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
I don't like washing my hair now but when I used to blowfry and straighten (yikes! :disbelief) I dreading having to wash my hair because it took up so much time! Now I just wash and then let it air dry and I'm done! I still don't like to wash because its just a pain and I don't like having wet hair! :)

Madora
January 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM
I love the warm water hitting my hair. Shampooing isn't a problem but RINSING is a major chore because my hair is thick and my water pressure isn't the greatest.

I detangle with a widetooth comb while my hair is full of conditioner and find that helps a lot. I also detangle my hair in very small increments, working slowly from the bottom of the strands up to the scalp. The conditioner is then rinsed with warm water, with a final rinse of cold water.

NotInPortland
January 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
I don't usually mind washing it most of the time but it can be a hassle because my routine takes a long time and sometimes I just don't have the time to do it. What I hate with a passion is detangling. My hair just loves to tangle up on me no matter what I do with it-even if I braid it or put it up in a bun it still seems to get tangled!! It's a nightmare!

Juneii
January 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
In just detangle when my hair is slathered in conditioner, it goes really smoothly. And as my hair dries most tangles works itself out. But I hate the feeling of wet hair.

WaitingSoLong
January 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
I dread wash day. Which is probably why it is down to once or twice a week now.

I would cut my hair in the past when it would reach the length where I dreaded washing, but that is before i learned to 1. detangle before shower 2. never was my hair in the tub (I have no idea why but it ties itself in knots if I do) 3. Use a COMB for heaven's sake, not a brush, and 4. Detangle during conditioning in the shower.

having the right poo and conditioner helps, too. I need lots of slip to get through my fine hair.

So I finally grew past bsl with all these strategies, but now I am TBL I am having trouble again.

DREAD it. Tomorrow is wash day. SIGH.

WaitingSoLong
January 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
I love the warm water hitting my hair. Shampooing isn't a problem but RINSING is a major chore because my hair is thick and my water pressure isn't the greatest.

I detangle with a widetooth comb while my hair is full of conditioner and find that helps a lot. I also detangle my hair in very small increments, working slowly from the bottom of the strands up to the scalp. The conditioner is then rinsed with warm water, with a final rinse of cold water.

Madora, I have horrible water pressure. I bought a shower nozzle that is supposed to help and IT DOES. Somehow it seems to increase water volume, too. It is weird. Not pretty, but it works great.

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
I like washing my hair but I can't stand combing it or waiting for it to dry.

Madora
January 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
@Thanks, WaitingSoLong. I've got a handheld waterpik shower head thingie and it is better than standing under the showerhead..but still, not enough pressure to suit me. I have vivid memories of the fantastic water pressure used at the GM salon in NYC...yes, I realize the comparison is unrealistic ...but it was such a wonderful feeling when that blast of water hit my hair!!

perkidanman
January 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I LOVE the feeling of my hair being brushed but I have no patience with tangles so I tend to go at it like I'm plowing a field. My boyfriend is better at the slow dilberate brushing but he sometimes brushing it so it tangles itself. I dont mind washing my hair (I have to do it often, since it's so full of sebum) but I hate having it sopping wet on my back for hours. D:

Saila_
January 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM
I enjoy washing my hair and it loves me for it, feels & looks so wonderful after how could I hate that??no way! As for detangling I hardly ever have much in the way of tangles..I'm 99% tangle-free and comb thru is a breeze..For the well being it gives me taking care of my hair is time well spent and the wealth of healthy fresh sweet smelling hair is one of natures best gifts..

I love washing my hair as well! I workout regularly and showering is a must for me. In all fairness though, my hair is extremely short right now (collarbone). The longest it's ever been is below BSL (stretched). I love washing my hair though... which is why my goal is no more than BSL (unstretched).

reverie24
January 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
I have always hated washing my hair! Ugh I hate it and dread it so much. I hate the feeling of conditioner on my skin and I always wash my hair first, then have to rinse forever, then wash my body after to get rid of any lingering conditioner-y feeling on my body.
I hate wet hair touching me and sticking to everything. And it's only a few inches from waist-I'll probably hate it more the longer it gets and the more it can touch me. Then I hate the detangling and losing tons of hair...
I should wash my hair tonight but I'm going to wait until tomorrow because I don't want to deal with it!

Annalouise
January 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
I love washing my hair! But detangling it is a chore. It takes me a good while to comb out my hair so that it is ready for brushing. A GOOD while.:p Usually I wait for my hair to dry, then bun it if I have to go out. Then in the evening when I have time, that is when I start fingercombing, then gently combing, and then finally brushing.

Deborah
January 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Have you tried allowing your hair to dry naturally BEFORE you detangle? I don't know why it works, but I definitely notice that my hair detangles more easily if I let it air dry first.

constancev18
January 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
I finger detangle when dry and then wash in 6 sections--keeping each section braided until I wash it. This is the only way I can prevent my hair from tangling, maintain length, and avoid using the comb (which does not detangle as effectively as my fingers ~rips through tangles and causes unnecessary hair loss).

silverjen
January 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
I love washing and combing. It's peaceful, meditative, taking care of me time. But on the other hand I don't get many tangles. I get how that could be a real pain.

Red Leo
January 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I know the feeling!! Every time I wash and comb I think I am going bald!

Nessarose
March 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
I only comb when I'm in the shower after letting condish sit on my hair for a while. I don't have to detangle after I get out of the shower!

RitaPG
March 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry you feel like that. I actually enjoy washing and combing my hair. Most of the time at least. Even when it gets tangled, it's nothing that a bunch of conditioner on it can't get out :)

kouran
March 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
I also hate washing and combing hair. It's a bit difficult for me to wash the scalp because the hair does not let me reach the scalp...maybe because it's heavy. Then I try to wash it while bending down, but my hair gets tangly and it's a pain to detangle it...:(

RitaCeleste
March 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
I just got hair products that let me brush threw my wet hair. I use those brushes with widely spaced metal bristles with little round plastic points. Before I brushed it out before I washed and after it dried mostly. I did brush at the hair right around my face when wet so it would dry in place. I never try to get a comb threw anything thicker than my bangs. I tried using Honeysuckle Rose as a leave in and it helps make it easier to brush. I also put a little Meadowfoam seed oil on it. I finger combed in the past and worried over brushing the waves out. No more. I love my BRUSH. The natural bristle brushes I've used before are simply too soft to get down into my hair. They have just slid over the top.

Cirafly24
March 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
I actually really enjoy washing and combing my hair. I don't get many tangles, so that's probably why. I imagine if my hair were very curly it would be a different story.

annieangel149
March 21st, 2011, 06:50 PM
okay...i have no problem washing and combing my hair! i do however hate rrinsing it in cold water!!! Brrrrrrrrr! its cold lol!!!

ArienEllariel
March 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM
The only time I hate combing my hair is right after I've gone swimming. Even if I braid it beforehand, somehow swimming in a pool tangles the life out of my hair.