PDA

View Full Version : Making hair "stick" more together

Thinthondiel
June 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
After I went WO, my hair has become healthier, but sometimes it looks stringy even though it's not oily... I just came "home" (I still think of it as home) to my parents for summer vacation, and my mum has now seen my hair for the first time after I started WO-ing. Her comment was "Are you sure you're getting it clean? It looks stringy to me. Do you think it looks clean?"

I know my hair is clean, but still, part of it has started hanging down in thin strings here and there rather than in one mass of hair like it used to. Does anyone know what I can do to avoid this? I fear my mum will make these comments all through my vacation if I don't do anything about it. When I heard her make that comment today, I was almost tempted to just give up WO and start CO-ing instead, just so I wouldn't get any more comments from her. But I really want to stick with WO.

Does anyone know if baking soda would help? I haven't tried it yet, because I've read that some people found it harsher than shampoo...

Nevermore
June 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Do you brush? If not, try using a boar bristle brush and brushing really well.

Samikha
June 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I know the look you mean. If brushing doesn't work, I'd just buy some mild shampoo (they have Aussie at Vita now, and the Long something shampoo is sulfate-free) and do a diluted shampoo wash every once in a while. Or a CO wash when it starts getting stringy if you prefer that. You don't have to give up WO, but there's nothing wrong with altering it a bit.

Thinthondiel
June 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Do you brush? If not, try using a boar bristle brush and brushing really well.

Yes, I do brush with a bristle brush... I think I've almost brushed it to death trying to get rid of that look, lol!

I know the look you mean. If brushing doesn't work, I'd just buy some mild shampoo (they have Aussie at Vita now, and the Long something shampoo is sulfate-free) and do a diluted shampoo wash every once in a while. Or a CO wash when it starts getting stringy if you prefer that. You don't have to give up WO, but there's nothing wrong with altering it a bit.

Ooh, thanks for that bit of info... I thought it would be impossible to find sulfate-free shampoo in Norway. Anyway, I'll probably see if I can find that and then do as you said - do a diluted shampoo wash every once in a while. In fact, I did one a couple of days ago (and it helped), although that was with SLS shampoo. Anyway, thanks for letting me know that it's possible to find sulfate-free shampoo here in Norway!

Natalia
June 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Have you tried a vinage rinse? They were slightly drying for me so maybe it would even it out for you? Just an option if you dont want to shampoo. I rinsed out but maybe leaving it in might work better?

Katze
June 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
my hair got really stringy and dull when I went no 'poo.

Occasional sulfate washes - 1-2x a month, because I wash every 5-7 days - help. Sometimes I have to wash more often because my hair is getting stringy.

We have very different hair types but this might be part of your issue...hth...