PDA

View Full Version : Wear hair DOWN challenge

Um Enis
April 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Now, this may totally flop... but I've seen a few "wear hair up for a day, week, month challenges"...

Well, I have worn my hair up for a months...actually a year...actually about 5 years! As a stay at home mom I need a different challenge. In fact, I need the opposite challange. I need the wear your hair (at least partially) down challenge.

I thought of posting this on the "parental pow-wow" but then I thought there are probably people other than moms who always wear their hair up.

Anyone else need a wear your hair down challenge?

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I need the challenge a little. I've been attempting to wear my hair loose in public and around home a little more. (In the lab, for obvious reasons, it still goes up!)

Juliet's Silk
April 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hm. I think I need that challenge. Most of the time I wear my hair up for convenience but sometimes (well rather often really!) my hair is not fit for wearing down... so a challenge to wear it down more often might be just the thing for me so that I look after my hair a bit more that I could wear it down if I wanted to.

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Oooh, now this is a challenge I'd love to participate in.

I'm always tempted to wear my hair up all of the time, because of the general feeling of the forums. However, my hair is very resilient and tough, so it doesn't make much difference to me whether it's up or down...and when it's up, I tend to lose more hair, and always get a few hairs that get broken (I'm fairly clumsy and not gentle, so I tend to break hairs while putting in hairsticks, or taking out hair bands).

Besides, my husband loves it down, I love it down, and all of my friends love it down, so I think I'll definitely try to wear it down more often!

For me, I haven't gotten into wearing my hair up all of the time yet (I've been away from the boards for some time, so I've worn it as I felt like). Can I still participate if I'm not changing anything, but resisting the temptation to wear my hair up?

sahiba
April 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Not me.Its very hot here, and as it is I never liked keeping my hair open for a long time. For dinners its no problem but 24/7 hair down , not possible.

Um Enis
April 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Great! Now the challenge: I think this one needs to be personal, as everyone has a very different life style for wearing their hair down:

How about a total hours per week challange. You could do it all in one day or evening, or a little bit everyday? If that sounds good lets start with 3 hours the first week. That's almost half an hour a day... or half a day... or most of an evening (before my hair went to "perma-up" status, I used to start the day or evening with it down but almost always ended with it up!)

As far as what constiutes "down", I think that's personal also... for me even having the front pulled back in a barrette or braid would be down (cause the back is down)

Anyone else have a better idea. This is the first time I've done this.

Um Enis
April 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Can I still participate if I'm not changing anything, but resisting the temptation to wear my hair up?

yes of course, thats why i thought to keep it personal!

Alaia
April 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I'll join! But I'll have to change it to "Wear hair down and keep it looking presentable" challenge. My hair is down frequently (though less of late, I seem to be tending to prefer it up now that it's long enough to start getting in the way majorly), but it always seems to look unkempt and frizzy.

So it will have to be that I try and keep it neat while it's down. With oils, aloe, clips for the front part, etc.

:D

Dientje
April 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'll join! Well, actually that is cheating, because I already wear my hair down most of the time. I even sleep with my hair down.
So I'll agree to Alaia, in that it should also be presentable ;)

shrimp
April 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Too much of a challenge for me I'm afraid :run:

socks
April 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I've been wearing my hair up nearly exclusively for years, and I should probably show it off more. I'm in for wearing it down it public at least a few hours a week!

harpgal
April 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Anyone else need a wear your hair down challenge?Not a chance! I want to keep my hair in the best condition possible....and I want to be able to live without hair flying all over the place. :D

Leisha
April 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Great! Now the challenge: I think this one needs to be personal, as everyone has a very different life style for wearing their hair down:

How about a total hours per week challange. You could do it all in one day or evening, or a little bit everyday? If that sounds good lets start with 3 hours the first week. That's almost half an hour a day... or half a day... or most of an evening (before my hair went to "perma-up" status, I used to start the day or evening with it down but almost always ended with it up!)

As far as what constiutes "down", I think that's personal also... for me even having the front pulled back in a barrette or braid would be down (cause the back is down)

Anyone else have a better idea. This is the first time I've done this.
I should totally do this challenge. I almost never wear my hair down, and if I do it's usually for 15 minutes or so before I put it up again.

I recently cut my hair from past tailbone back to waistlength, one of the reasons was that I thought it might make me more likely to wear my hair down but it hasn't made much of a difference actually :o :lol:

I think that's a good idea to set a number of hours as a challenge. Three hours a week sounds good as a start :thumbsup: I will have to get used to the feeling of having my hair down so it's good to start with a period of time that's not too long.

Blueglass
April 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
My mom doesn't like my hair down at all, so its hard for me, plus I'm often too busy.

Rosemary
April 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Not me.Its very hot here, and as it is I never liked keeping my hair open for a long time. For dinners its no problem but 24/7 hair down , not possible.

Same for me. Not because of the heat, but because my hair is so fine that after about 15 minutes of wearing it down, it becomes a tangly mess. And that's if I'm holding still, lol. Forget trying to move and go about my daily routine. Plus, I'm a vinyl graphics technician, which basicly means I install graphics that are like huge stickers (think at least 30 inches high, by anywhere from 2 feet to 24 feet long, sometimes longer) on vehicles and sign faces. Long hair and vinyl film DO NOT go together.

I went with my hubby to Walmart yesterday, and I wore it in a ponytail for the first time in years. I got alot of compliments from people, but the second I got home I put it back up into it's standard bun because it was driving me crazy. It took forever to detangle it too.

I would love to be able to wear it down more though. I do get alot of comlipments if someone sees me re-bunning my hair and they happen to see the length. Not very many people that know me have ever even seen me with my hair down.

pariate
April 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
so a challenge to wear it down more often might be just the thing for me so that I look after my hair a bit more that I could wear it down if I wanted to.

I second that. On first day after washing (I wash it at night so it dries while I sleep) it looks shiny and feels soft and smooth. After that it gets dry and coarse... and just gets worse until I wash it again! So I really need to find my groove. I just can't face the idea of washing every day :shake: It takes quite a long time to dry and because I'm a 2c/3a I have be so so careful of it while it's drying - can't touch it, can't let it get blown around by wind, can't put it up or style it...

Okay, I've scared myself off! I'll join the challenge in a few weeks when I've spent some quality time on my care routine!

Medvssa
April 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I can do this one easily, even when it is a bit messy, my hair is almost always down :D is that cheating? hehe, it certainly has no merit.
It is just quite cold here. My hair warms my ears and neck :wacko: I certainly need my hair down, well held by my hat, while I am driving the bike, brr!

JKRBeloved
April 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Well, wearing it down is no challenge; I almost always do that. But after I let the silvers come out, DH begged me not to do buns with it (that's just too much of a Granny look for him; he's still trying valiantly to get used to my gray hair). But my challenge is to wear it down with my natural curls/waves showing. I've been doing it for the last week or so, gradually eliminating the days I run to my Caruso for moral support.

betsala
April 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
i'm so in! my avatar picture is literally the ONLY picture i have with my hair down in years. it will be a challenge to keep baby food out of it, but i'll figure something out. maybe part up/ part down. we'll see. i think my husband will like this challenge :D

dukkelisa
April 9th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Too scary! I love the feeling of it down after a wash and it's drying naturally. Once dry, it needs to go up. I don't like getting my hair caught in things, the warmth on my neck or the pulling every time I sit down. I'll leave the flowing locks to the brave.

Mely
April 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Count me out--I'm another one who can't take the heat. Wearing your hair down is like being wrapped in a thick woolen scarf. Since I started having "power surgers" recently, I never wear my hair down. Maybe I'll be able to wear it down again some day-- I hope so.

lynnala
April 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I can't do it either; it's hot enough in L.A. and I'm having hot flashes...I try to wear my hair down but within 10 minutes I've got it up off my neck! *Ha! I just saw that Mely calls them 'power surges', that's great!

Um Enis
April 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Its sure hot here too in FL. but whats the point of long hair if it never is down. HAs anyone gotten any time in so far? I haven't yet... but my 3 hours a week will start sunday I decided. i've been mentally preparing myself until then.

oh... and im so very bad at wearing my hair down that I decided even ponytails count! at least you can see the hair!

Juliet's Silk
April 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Well I have about 10 minutes already - it was down for drying after washing until I couldn't stand it any longer and up it went. Heh.

Irishred
April 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I did this back in January for about 4 weeks.

I noticed:
- my ends got dry and split more
- I had to wash more often (movement and hands in all the time?)
- I had more breakage from the lengths getting into things

My suggestion for those taking the challenge (especially if you are below BSL):
Dampen your ends, add a touch of leave-in/oil and bun your hair for an hour-ish EVERY DAY! This will save you in the long run, I promise.

Good luck to you all.

Patrycja
April 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I would love to do this and it is a good idea for those that have been keeping it under wraps a long time.But,I'm in the middle of the wear your hair up challenge for 3 weeks.
Its spring almost summertime in GA and I never ever wear my hair down now untill September at the earliest.I wear it down to dry inside the house and that's it.

Um Enis
April 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
My suggestion for those taking the challenge (especially if you are below BSL):
Dampen your ends, add a touch of leave-in/oil and bun your hair for an hour-ish EVERY DAY! This will save you in the long run, I promise.

Good luck to you all.

oh no irishred this is for those of us who bun 23.5/7 (the other .5 is for a shower :)). i'm trying just for 3 hours down a week!

WritingPrincess
April 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm so planning on joining this challenge after completing my up for a year challenge. By then I should be very close to classic length, and my friends, who last saw me with tailbone length before it all went into bun-land a week ago, will be shocked. :D I can't wait for that to happen. Good luck to all of you.

birdiefu
April 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I've thought this thread was needed for a while...since doing updos is the anti-challenge for me! I keep my hair up practically all the time (no half-ups either, I consider those 'down'). I do have two children- a preschooler and a baby, and of course the baby makes for hair up a lot (but I've had my hair up almost all the time for about 2 years now...). For me, this challenge would probably just be for wearing hair down in public and/or around my husband. I would love to get hair compliments (none yet) and my husband loves my hair down, and is sad that he never gets to see it, aside from the 5 minutes or so after a shower. So a few hours a week would be a huge leap for me.

But I think I'm so un-used to wearing my hair down at this length that it really is annoying at times. It gets caught on everything and I'm always afraid of damage and tangling- I need to learn how to keep it out of the way. Although about one week ago I did manage to wear it down out to dinner, with a Buff as a headband (though in the car ride there and back it was up). I had a comb in my pocket so I could detangle as needed. It was an odd experience, but was nice to enjoy my length for a moment.

It's great to see others who have a hard time 'letting it down' but want to do so from time to time. Maybe we can learn a few tips and tricks from each other to keep it from getting caught on things, or easier ways to show off the length without it being fully loose.

Um Enis
April 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I do have two children- a preschooler and a baby, and of course the baby makes for hair up a lot ...

But I think I'm so un-used to wearing my hair down at this length that it really is annoying at times. ...

Maybe we can learn a few tips and tricks from each other to keep it from getting caught on things, or easier ways to show off the length without it being fully loose.

Thank! Exactly what I was looking for. I also have kids at home!

I left it down for a few minutes last night. After I put the kids to sleep, I combed it and left it down while I drank a cup of sleepytime tea. DH was delighted. Only 2 hours 50 minutes to go :)

I think one tip or trick is the "up counts as down". half up with a braid or barrette is soo much more manageable than all down. and so much less likely to get grabbed or set on fire ;)

Neon Gloss
April 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'd love to participate in this challenge, but I've actually become so uncomfortable with wearing my hair down in public (I'm out a lot), that I've restricted only certain people to see me with my hair down: my family, all of you LHCers, hairdressers (who I rarely see), and also a boy that I like. It's just because I hate wearing my hair down when it's short and curly--I always straightened it if I wore it down. I know, it's definitely strange, but when my hair gets to BSL curly, I'll participate. =)

Leisha
April 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Oops, I haven't started yet :o I guess I'll probably wait until I wash my hair again, then I'll go for the 3h a week first challenge :)
I really want to do this, I like the look of hair down when I see it on other people, so I should do it myself.
People often tell me I should wear my hair down more, and if I do I often get compliments and that's nice! :)

Anyway, when I next wash my hair (this week probably wednesday or thursday, unless I get lazy) I'm gonna try not to put it in a bun (because I get these two or three strange bun waves at my crown) so it looks nice when I wear it down. I'll probably braid it in between the down-time ;)

I think I'm gonna incorporate the "up counts as down" (half ups) into my personal challenge rulebook too :D it will probably make it a bit easier to wear my hair down at certain occasions.

MemSahib
April 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Mine is down some everyday in the house. I know I make more than three hours a week anyway, but... I draw the line at wearing it this way out. Frankly (and I expect some of you will protest this) I am too old to wear it down. Besides, it gets into everything and tangles horribly. And it's starting to get hot here. Texas heat plus Feminine Power Surges are not a fun combination. Oh, would sleeping in it down count? I do that! :D

freznow
April 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I agree with a lot of sentiments in this thread. I dislike people seeing me with my hair down unless it's EXACTLY the way I want it. And being NW, those perfect days come about once in a blue moon. Soo I don't wear it down, which in turn makes it more annoying to wear down when it is nice, because I'm not used to it.

I do, however, have it down most days in the evening sitting at my computer. If I do much of anything else, it tangles like crazy.

I don't know if I'll join in this. I might make a conscious effort to keep it down more, but I tried the other day and it was up before my first period class was over. I don't mind the heat, but it just gets everywhere and I worry about damage. Maybe I should reserve down-ness (which for me is a half up; you can not make me wear it all down) for after school hanging out with friends and stuff. That'll make it easier, I think, no book bag or anything in the way. (gurk too bad I never hang out with friends! :lol:)

Edit: I think I'll also count pony tail as down. It shows off the length, and I never do them anyways...

Shadow Walker
April 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
My mom doesn't like my hair down at all, so its hard for me, plus I'm often too busy.

I wonder why? You have such phenomenal hair I couldn't imagine anyone not wanting to see it down as often as possible.

Anyways, I'm most comfortable wearing mine down actually. I kept it down all winter and only tie it back or whatever when I'm working (seasonal outdoors), and I hate it because I have breakage all along my partline from head banging at gigs...and whenever the wind blows it flies all over my face.

Alley Cat
April 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Now, this may totally flop... but I've seen a few "wear hair up for a day, week, month challenges"...

Well, I have worn my hair up for a months...actually a year...actually about 5 years! As a stay at home mom I need a different challenge. In fact, I need the opposite challange. I need the wear your hair (at least partially) down challenge.

I thought of posting this on the "parental pow-wow" but then I thought there are probably people other than moms who always wear their hair up.

I wear mine down occasionally . It does depend on how long your hair is really as to how hard or practical it is . Mines waist what is your length , just curious? :ponder:

birdiefu
April 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Well, two days ago the family went out the the Natural History Museum and I decided to wear my hair down. I first started with a half-up with a clip barrette, but it started slipping on the Metro. I had a couple of back-up toys and as I was combing then fiddling with trying to get the half-up to stay, DH told me to just let it be free and wild since he loves it out. I decided to give it a try and it wasn't too difficult! Though I did periodically put my hair up when we went outside and it was very windy, and when I was eating. Once in a while I would give it a finger-comb and fluff since my slightly wavy hair likes to get piecy over time. But I think I got about a good 2 hours with my hair out total.

I also even *gasp* held and nursed the baby with my hair down. DH got a pic of me nursing the baby right in front of the 'Mammals Make Milk' part in the Mammal section- we thought it was a hoot! I think that is the first time I've ever nursed with my hair down- it was sweeping down over her feet.

Anyway, I found another way to get more confidence in my hair. Usually the only way I can see my length is sideways in the mirror, or with still photos of my back (with 8 out of 10 pics I cringe at). So I went out and got a hand-held mirror so I could actually see how my ends lay when I toss them around, swing my head, etc (I have a vision that my ends are really horrible). And I discovered that they aren't as thin as I image, and actually fall around nicely without looking *too* ragged IMO. That gave me some more confidence in wearing my hair out, too.

JKRBeloved
April 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Birdiefu, that's hilarious that DH took your picture nursing in front of the "Mammals Make Milk" sign!

redpenny
April 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Too much of a challenge for me I'm afraid :run:

Ha Ha! Me too!

I have worn my hair up for many years; I could count on one hand how many times I wear my hair down in a year!

amaiaisabella
April 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Now this is a challenge I can do! Does it include putting your hair back to wash your face, or something quick like that? :confused:

I do not know any pretty ways to put my hair and it's still too short to do anything interesting :( The only one I know is a sock bun and people say I look like an old lady when I do it! Boo.

flapjack
April 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Wow, I'm surprised how many people never wear their hair down. I've had hair to my waist or longer my entire life (except as an infant, of course, haha) and I almost always wear it down.

Um Enis
April 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Well, then, flapjack. Any trick or tips? Cause even my kids beg me to wear my hair down.

I guess I've gotten used to wearing it up. I get all tangled in it when its down. And I find that irritating.

Another problem is, sometimes I have to wear it up (ie during hard core cooking) and then when i think about taking it down, it has weird "updo dents" Any ideas for good updos that leave hair dent free.

peachy.pudding
April 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Oh i love this challenge, i usually wear my hair down but i take a hairband wherever i go so if i go outside i can quickly pop it up and then let it down when i am inside, i dont think i need the challenge but just wanted to say what a great idea

birdiefu
April 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Um Enis- what is your hairtype? Mine is a tad wavy and takes (and holds) bun or braid waves well. The best updos I've found to reduce 'dents' is a loose inside-out bun (little to no twisting) or loose logroll. I get crimpy ends with cinnabuns, so don't like to try to let my hair down after wearing that for a while.

My hair has been back up since our family jaunt those few days ago, trying to think of the best time to let it down again. Around the house there is so much cleaning, chores, and babyholding that it's not as realistic to wear down as when I go out (and DH can carry baby). But DH will be leaving in a few days for a school that lasts 4 months....I may not be able to let my hair down much during that time.

TheBlondeApple
April 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Not me!
Anja

Juliet's Silk
April 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Wow, I'm surprised how many people never wear their hair down. I've had hair to my waist or longer my entire life (except as an infant, of course, haha) and I almost always wear it down.

It's a habit I have since about 20 years :D No really. I thought about the wearing hair up constantly thing a while back, as this is a topic that always, without fail comes up if you talk to the right people... "hey JS, your hair is so long, why don't you wear it down? What use is long hair if you never wear it down?" Yadda...
For me it comes from earliest childhood. I had head lice, twice and after the second time my mother made me wear my hair in a tight ponytail every single day. Ever since then I have worn my hair up or at least out of my face, and my hair was not long by our standards most of the time (usually between chin and shoulder length - I'd get it cut to chin, hated the cut as it was too short to put it up, let it grow, repeat).
I hate having my hair down just for having it down because it irritates me. It's like a beautiful pair of shoes that you wear to show it off - the shoes don't fit properly, walking in them hurts after a while but you still wear them because it looks fab. You just don't do it very often. It's like this with my hair - I'll wear it down for special occasions, just like I would wear a special dress or precious jewelry.

I did 10 minutes this week, btw, unintentionally because my updo fell down countless times. I think the 3 hours goal is too much for me at the moment... :o

Um Enis
April 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I hate having my hair down just for having it down because it irritates me. It's like a beautiful pair of shoes that you wear to show it off - the shoes don't fit properly, walking in them hurts after a while but you still wear them because it looks fab. You just don't do it very often. It's like this with my hair - I'll wear it down for special occasions, just like I would wear a special dress or precious jewelry.

I did 10 minutes this week, btw, unintentionally because my updo fell down countless times. I think the 3 hours goal is too much for me at the moment... :o

my problem too. i havent even done 10 minutes yet.

Um Enis
April 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The best updos I've found to reduce 'dents' is a loose inside-out bun (little to no twisting) or loose logroll

gotta try those... runs off to look them up.:run:

Leisha
April 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Those annoying "updo dents" are a problem for me too... I guess braiding it instead of putting it up would help, but sometimes it's just easiest to have my hair in an updo. I'm going to give birdiefu's suggestions a try too! Thanks!

I still haven't started my challenge btw :o but I'm gonna!

As to the question WHY I wear my hair up most of the time... I guess habit? That's why I need to start with a reasonable amount of wearing it down and then maybe build that up a little at a time.
Also what Juliet's Silk said, wearing my hair down I kind of see as something for special occasions (although I don't even wear my hair down at special occasions, lol). Or if I just want to feel a bit more special, more feminine, I guess.

Lixie
April 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Nice idea for a challenge. I couldn't stick to wearing my hair down for a set amount of days or whatever, but seeing this thread on the Mane Forum reminds me to leave my hair loose more often. Thanks for posting this, Um Enis. :flowers:

Juliet's Silk
April 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM
(although I don't even wear my hair down at special occasions, lol). Or if I just want to feel a bit more special, more feminine, I guess.

See, that's why we need this challenge :D I'm guilty of not wearing it down even when I want to ... I need to get accustomed to my hair down again.

ajr
April 18th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I think it is just getting used to it again. When I first started wearing updos I missed the weight of my hair on my back and it took awhile to get used to seeing my face without hair framing it. I think I'm pretty balanced right now though between having my hair down vs in updos.

Um Enis
April 18th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Ok. I found one of the suggested updos:

The log roll is in the articles section under hairstyles.

I can't find the inside out bun though... anyone know of another name or can describe how to do it?

I guess another option is an updo that gives great intentional waves. Maybe I'll walk around in rag curls (which I have no idea how to do) tied up inside a scarf until its "down time".

birdiefu
April 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hmm, lets see if I can explain the inside-out bun.

First, you gather your hair like you are making a ponytail.

Make a loop over your hand (you can twist as little or as much as you like), then with the rest of the lenth, continue to circle around the base of this loop.

Then you take the loop with both hands and place it over and around the base (and rest of the length).

Take a hairstick and insert inside of the outer loop, under the base area, then up so that it emerges right before the other side of the outer loop.

You may need some tweaking to get that first loop the right size for your hair so it isn't too loose or too tight. Since that first loop is the largest (rather than the smallest like a cinnabun), there isn't as much of a 'dent' going on. And the less you twist, the less wave you will get in your hair. It's also pretty comfy and doesn't pull on the scalp hair as much as some other buns.

Hope this makes sense!

Um Enis
April 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
sounds like something I should try. Thanks birdiefu

WritingPrincess
April 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Thank you, birdiefu. I've been wondering what an inside-out bun is.

Um Enis
April 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I have tried and tried and I just can't get this inside out bun going. It just falls out. Any one else have any luck?

I'll try the log roll instead.

flapjack
April 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I feel the pain that is the updo dent, hahaha. When I have ballet classes but want to go out afterwards, I just put it in a loose ponytail and I have a cloth-covered wire with a hole in the cloth (I don't know what it's called!) and I just put the hair through the hole and roll it up to my head. It makes big loose curls afterwards that stay for several hours... which is cool because my hair is really straight, normally.

I don't really have any advice, honestly. I live in a place with very little wind, my hair doesn't tangle much except sometimes near the back of my neck and it's really straight and well-behaved, so it kind of just stays on my back. It's actually much more effort to get it to stay up without falling out than it is to just walk out with it down. Half the time I don't even brush it, except a little with my fingers. So I suppose it depends on hair type. Mine is nice to me when it's long. However, once I had it up to my shoulders (the shortest it's been since I was born actually) and it was a voluminous poof of madness that was eating my head.

Juliet's Silk
April 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I did about 20 minutes yesterday again, so that makes for 30 for the whole week, right? I'm getting there. BF didn't appreciate my hair down as much as I thought he would so up it went when I couldn't take it anymore, heh.

I loved the inside out bun before I figured out the log roll, was my staple updo. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, though (even though birdiefu showed it to me in person) but then I saw a thread about it and went AHA! I just don't know anymore what a thread it was, sorry. :o

Um Enis
April 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Its ok... practice is fun.

And thanks flapjack for the tip. That is certainly another great option... an updo that purposefully makes pretty waves!

Um Enis
April 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Congrats J.S.! You are beating me so far. The most I've done is comb it twice in one day.

Leisha
April 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Ok I'm starting tomorrow! I washed my hair today (but it won't be dry till tomorrow) so I'm all set! :cheese:
I'm going for a drink with a friend tomorrow, so I'm gonna try to have my hair down for that. At least for a while!

AquaViolet1973
April 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
This isn't a challenge for me. :) I already wear my hair down every day. I pull back the sides in a hair clip, and that hair plus the hair in the back is down. I've never been one to wear updos on a regular basis. Especially now with my perm. I love my wavy hair cascading down my back. I like people to see my hair.

Leisha
April 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Ok I'm starting tomorrow! I washed my hair today (but it won't be dry till tomorrow) so I'm all set! :cheese:
I'm going for a drink with a friend tomorrow, so I'm gonna try to have my hair down for that. At least for a while!
Alright, I did get about 2 hours of "down-time" on monday ;) and I plan to get some more tomorrow or over the weekend. I might even get more than three hours this week! :)

I was fiddling with my hair a LOT though when it was down, I'm sure that's annoying for people I hang out with :lol: :o I just really have to get used again to the feeling of my hair hanging around my face.

Stupidly I had my hair in a bun the last two days :rolleyes: so I will have an updo dent. I might mist my hair thoroughly or put aloe vera on it so it can "dry" again without the dent. Or I could do a half up next time I wear my hair down, that sort of disguises it.

Um Enis
April 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I wore my hair in a ponytail (i'm so pitiful that that counts for me!) all day yesterday!

I clipped a claw clip to my apron pocket and when i was doing something messy (i.e. dishes) or dangerous (putting something in the oven) I clipped my end to the top of the tale so it didn't mess up the ponytail! I combed out the tail a few times throughout the day. DH was happy, I felt pretty. Even my kids were happy, God Bless! :)

KajiKodomo
April 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I've been wearing my hair down exclusively for the past week. I only put it up for bed, to dry, or if I'm working out.

I discovered that my husband really likes the waves that are created when I let my hair dry in double braids. So, I've been doing that lately, and braiding them at night as well to help hold in the waves. It's funny, cause he's always said that he prefers straight hair, he said that he guesses that he had to see it on me. Haha!

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I also fiddle with my hair like crazy when it's down. I need to practice just letting it be! Like someone posted in another thread, 'A lady never fixes her beauty in public', or something to that effect. But I feel much more confident in my hair since I had 2" taken off and the ends look a ton fuller. I had my hair down for about 10 minutes today while the baby was sleeping (ahhh, peace :) ) and about half of that time was looking at it with my hand-held mirror in the full-length one. Walking around, then checking it *without* fixing first and getting used to knowing that my hair *does* look okay if I don't fiddle with it constantly. I feel so vain now!

Juliet's Silk
April 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I did almost an hour today!
Yeah well okay I cheated a bit, first I had it down for drying purposes, then I had it in a ponytail (counts too!) while I drove the car... then 15minutes into the lecture I opened the ponytail and fiddled with my hair (while the professor talked about the magical purposes of hair in the middle age - got some giggles for that :lol:) and then finally gave in and braided it.

cobblersmaid
April 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I need this. I never wear it down in the winter, because of it rubbing my coat. I never wear it down in the summer, because it is too hot. I have been trying to wear it down some, but it feels so weird, and it is hard to keep it detangled.

blackfrostqueen
April 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'll join! But I'll have to change it to "Wear hair down and keep it looking presentable" challenge. My hair is down frequently (though less of late, I seem to be tending to prefer it up now that it's long enough to start getting in the way majorly), but it always seems to look unkempt and frizzy.

So it will have to be that I try and keep it neat while it's down. With oils, aloe, clips for the front part, etc.

:D

I agree with Alaia, the challenge for me will be keeping it down and presentable. I love my hair down (that's way I cut bangs/fringe into it), but I have a really hard time keeping it presentable.
Thin, wispy hair just seems to be all over the place and into everything.

So I guess my challenge is to style it some how and wear it down for so many hours/minutes a day (before I go bonkers and pull it back into a ponytail).

I really like this challenge though, I mean, what's the point of having long hair if you never get to enjoy it down (and no one sees it).

So anyways...I'll join!

alys
April 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ha ha Shrimp's post is funny. Too much of a challenge is rightey-o!!

I dont know why, but I keep telling myself 'When my hair get's longer I will wear it down'...Well my hair keeps growing and I keep bunning, every day, every hour, every occasion, well, my buns encompass everything. Some people that I have worked with for years and years literally DO NOT recgonize me with it down.
So yeah, it's too much of a challenge for me but also an interesting seed has been planted. If I could wear my hair down 5 times a month that in itself would be a milestone! Good luck to all challengers though!

suicides_eve
April 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
oh i am in on this one:D
my hair is now at the length i can keep it back in a pretty pony tail but now thats all i do with it, i am gonna start trying to let it down in the evenings and see how it goes!

freznow
April 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I wore my hair down at school today!

It made me see all the splits :( But I got used to it! I only put it up once during the school day, and I even took it down afterwards. I don't know if it looked nice, but I enjoyed it :D

Juliet's Silk
April 30th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Well my hair keeps growing and I keep bunning, every day, every hour, every occasion, well, my buns encompass everything. Some people that I have worked with for years and years literally DO NOT recgonize me with it down.

Oh yes I know that. When I plan to wear my hair down I try to avoid people who don't see me regularly enough to recognize me with it down - like my professors in university, who never see me with it down - so if I were to go to the exam with the hair down, they'd think "who IS this student, I never saw her before", which is not good for the grade :lol:

I'm planning on wearing the hair down today for class, though, it just felt so nice this morning.

meliora
April 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I will join. I mostly wear my hair down anyway, as I dislike the feeling of updos most of the time. Only loose ponytails are an exception, and braids, but my hair is still too short for them.

Strangefire
April 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I love leaving my hair down for an hour or two before I go to bed. It's the best part of my day.

Unfortuntely, it tangles and breaks too easily for me to leave it down more often than that. :(

kissedbyfyre
April 30th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I wish I could do this! I love my hair down but it attracts too much attention as is! Any time I keep it down I get weird reactions. Not so much fun.

betsala
May 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
i've got to get back on the horse, so to speak. i failed in my second day in and gave up. i swear my fingers just start braiding without me noticing! i'm going to give it another go

VikingJarl
May 6th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I have always worn my hair down! Being a guy having fancy up-dos isn't really an option. Plus, i just hate my hair being in a ponytail as it seems to pull at my scalp too much. If I have a loose ponytail I get odd strands of hair falling forward which are just annoying I only put it up if it's going to be in danger of catching in something - which I learned to my cost twenty years ago, when I caught it in a drill and pulled out a two inch square clump right down to the roots!

I know after what I have been reading that I should keep it up, but I just don't seem to be able to do it! I put it in a braid sometimes, but that's rare.

Leisha
May 6th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Ouch that sounds painful, VikingJarl :eek:

I'm going grocery shopping now, might leave my hair down :)
The weather's getting hot here though, that might prove to be a problem for me in this challenge :o :?

Poppy Seed
May 6th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thin, wispy hair just seems to be all over the place and into everything.

So I guess my challenge is to style it some how and wear it down for so many hours/minutes a day (before I go bonkers and pull it back into a ponytail).

I really like this challenge though, I mean, what's the point of having long hair if you never get to enjoy it down (and no one sees it).

Black frost queen said it all!

I'd like to join...but I don't know that I'd last more than about half an hour in one day! Besides, my hair just gets tangled beyond belief through rubbing on my clothes, and then I DON'T enjoy my hair.

birdiefu
May 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm knitting up a cute headband to try to help myself wear my hair down again. Seriously, I need to plan like a week in advance hair-down days- anyone else?

But right now my neck has been *killing* me for the past week or so. I can barely reach my hands around to get to my hair, but I still fight through the pain to put it up. Braiding it is impossible right now, though (too much movement behind my head), and combing is hard. So although this would be the perfect time to wear my hair down to give my neck a rest, it's easier to slap a ficcare on in a sloppy messy bun than comb it all pretty all the time.

Um Enis
May 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
i wore my hair in a ponytail for about 3 hours last night, but, yes, I had to plan it ahead of time so I would leave only ponytail compliant chores for the evening!

saman
May 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
my hair is short and it's always down,but it's growing and I hope to have new styles soon.

birdiefu
May 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
i wore my hair in a ponytail for about 3 hours last night, but, yes, I had to plan it ahead of time so I would leave only ponytail compliant chores for the evening!

Yay, 3 hours! Hehe, that's funny about the 'ponytail complaint' chores. Yup, I can't do things like clean the litter box with my hair down (well I *could*, but cat poop hair...:P).

JKRBeloved
May 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Since I usually wear mine down, my challenge was to wear it down and naturally wavy.. something I've only been doing recently. Last weekend was my first trip EVER where I didn't take a hair dryer, a curling iron, a straightener, or my Caruso steam setter and curlers. It was so freeing. And I survived and enjoyed my hair.

soldierssong
April 20th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I think this certainly needs to be revived.
I am in the middle of a Hair-up challenge, but I shall embark on a hair down challenge afterward. My family and friends will be much happier.

AmaryllisRed
April 20th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Oh, I definitely could have used this challenge four years ago when my hair was shorter and I threw it in a ponytail EVERY SINGLE DAY.

*Wednesday*
April 20th, 2019, 09:43 AM
The most I ever wear my hair down is 1 time in the week. After a wash day. I like my hair down, but not worth the tangles and more manipulation to remove those tangles. Wearing it up or contained in some way has always had it's advantage for me personally.

Dark40
April 20th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I would love to join this challenge! Even though I already wear my hair down the majority of the time but when I'm inside I wear my hair up but when I go outdoors I wear it down.