PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and roller coasters

windinherhair
June 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM
At first I thought this would be silly to post but when I started to think about all of you with even longer hair then me, I knew I may get some interesting feedback. :D

So how do you feel secure with your hair on a roller coaster? I have always managed fine with a double looped ponytail. But for those of you with tailbone, classic, or beyond... what do you feel secure with so your hair doesn't come down and start slapping the person behind you? :) Or even worse, get caught in something. These roller coasters jerk you around so much, and even flip you upside down.

My braided buns have been strong, but I dont know if I would trust it. Just curious how YOU would wear your hair before you ride.

Or maybe you are just a person who avoids roller coasters. :D

Magdalene
June 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I avoid roller coasters. But if I went on one, I would use a scrunchie or something soft. No hairsticks! (I'd be afraid of losing them, not to mention poking someone's eye out)

mwedzi
June 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
This reminds me of a story someone told me before. Surely an urban legend, but they were telling it to me with the straightest face. Warning, not for the squeamish! It goes like this:

A girl and her boyfriend were going to get on a ride at an amusement park. The ride was of the sort where there is a ring of seats around a pole. The ring slides up the pole and the riders can look down on the landscape and get a view of the world. Then the ring drops down suddenly and quickly down the pole. That's the thrill part (I've ridden such rides).

Well, a guy and a girl couple get on this ride. Now the woman has long hair that she is wearing down and loose. They sit next to each other in this ring and the ring slides up the pole. It drops down really fast as it's supposed to. When they get to the bottom, the guy looks over and the woman's face is gone! When the ring dropped, her hair flew up and got caught in the machinery at the top of the ride and it ripped the skin from her head and face!

The End

Ghastly, I know, but if any of you need horror stories to tell around the campfire . . .

MoonMaiden90
June 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
This reminds me of a story someone told me before. Surely an urban legend, but they were telling it to me with the straightest face. Warning, not for the squeamish! It goes like this:

(snipped)

Ghastly, I know, but if any of you need horror stories to tell around the campfire . . .

How utterly horrid! shudder:
But you did warn us...:)

Kiraela
June 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
That sounds... Painful...

Braided buns would probably be the way I'd go, else a braid tucked into the front of my shirt. I don't think I'd have much of a problem with sticks, it takes a lot of effort to dislodge them from my hair. As always, YMMV.

enfys
June 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
If I went on a roller coaster by mistake I'd have a braid tucked inside my top, under my bra strap, inside my trouser leg and wherever I could tuck it at whatever length I was. No fixing, no clips, sticks or anything.

dearladydisdain
June 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
With classic length I was always able to have it in a braid or low ponytail just fine. I think sometimes I would bring it around me and hold it in front. It has never popped out and smacked anyone in the face - and trust me, I looooove roller coasters :)

Cinnamon Hair
June 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I haven't been to an amusement park in awhile but I would probably wear either a ficcare holding a cinnamon bun (maybe a braided one) or some strong claw clips around the edges of a cinnamon bun (again, maybe braid first).

Longlocks3
June 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I usually bun it with hair ties when I ride roller coasters. It isn't the most comfortable but I am afraid of it getting ripped out! Braid bun is also a good idea.

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I am a roller coaster junkie! I either do Pocahontas braids (I've never hit anyone with them, promise) or I just tape it up. (The hair taping with ribbons thing?) I have done the braided bun held with hairpins...and it's good, but my bun sticks out so much that it's not very comfy to rest against the seat back. Now that I can crown braid, that would be an option, but I don't find it all that comfortable (my hair is just too heavy and long.)

Coriander
June 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ohhhhhh yes. My hair goes completely up, or else I hang onto my braid when I go on roller coasters.

Space Mountain at Disneyland, the one where it's completely dark? When I was a senior in high school we had our Senior night at Disneyland, and for fun, the park turned on the lights inside that ride. I had waistlength hair back then, and as soon as I saw how close the poles and cables were? That hair went away in a braid a.s.a.p.

missmandy
June 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
My hair isn't too long yet (mid back), so I don't really worry about it.

OhioLisa
June 10th, 2009, 04:31 PM
French braids have always worked best for me, with the length tucked into my shirt.

Ndnlady
June 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't go on roller coasters, but I would definitely do a french braid or dutch braid if I did and since it's not long enough to slap anyone in the face in back of me anymore that would probably be adequate for me.
Kind of off topic, but there was a story a little while ago about a woman with classic length hair who didn't bother putting her hair in a bun, basically left it down on a go cart, and it got caught in the go cart motor and her scalp ended up getting ripped partially ripped off her head! Horrible, but is a good example of why we should keep our hair up in certain situations!

longhairedfairy
June 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'd just braid it and maybe loop the end up so it doesn't catch on anything.

Carolyn
June 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Oh my :D You couldn't pay me to go on a rollercoaster.

Flynn
June 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM

(snip)

Probably not true -- the face part at least -- but it is not at all uncommon for long haired people who aren't sufficiently careful to get (partially) scalped by industrial and commercial-kitchen equipment, so there's a grain of truth in it.

UncommonTart
June 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I wear a french braid with the length tucked into my shirt, either down the back or wrapped around my bra strap. (Be sure to leave enough slack before this one. You will want to turn your head, after all.) Sometimes, I'll wear carefully pinned up Heidi braids, but anytime I part my hair down the middle and leave it all day I have to carefully and thoroughly apply sunscreen to my part, and that makes my hair icky, so I don't wear it that way as often, even though it is a bit more comfortable.

Thenin
June 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
In the past I have always just wore my hair in a pony tail and let it be. (I have hip length hair). Now though, I think I would at least put it in a braided bun. The reason? Last year when I went to an amusement park, -I came out just fine - but apparently my BF was on the guard because a week before we went a woman with the same length hair as mine was scalped by a ride. :run:

I had never heard of such a thing happening before and I never want it to happen to me.

physicschick
June 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I braid it and make sure I know where the braid is: either mashed behind my back or pulled forward and covered by the restraint. Either way, it's not going anywhere.

Bene
June 11th, 2009, 01:34 AM
i haven't been on a roller coaster with long hair, but i imagine i'd wear it in a loose braid starting from my nape and tuck it down the back of my shirt... hell, even down the back of my pants if it's extra long :bigeyes:

Pegasus Marsters
June 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I love roller coasters and last time I went on one my hair was hip length. I put it into double pigtails and kept them behind me, with my weight keeping them between me and the seat. I got tangles from hell, even braided. but my face wasn't ripped off! :lol:

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE roller coasters! My hair is only waist but I usually do a plain braid and tucked in my top in the front so I can redo it easily if I need to. I will be extra careful as it gets longer since I got my length caught in a fan and survived the other day with my scalp!!! Scary stories but good warnings!

windinherhair
June 11th, 2009, 07:18 AM
If I went on a roller coaster by mistake I'd have a braid tucked inside my top, under my bra strap, inside my trouser leg and wherever I could tuck it at whatever length I was. No fixing, no clips, sticks or anything.

I like the "by mistake" part. :D

(snipped)

Yikes!!! :scared:

In the past I have always just wore my hair in a pony tail and let it be. (I have hip length hair). Now though, I think I would at least put it in a braided bun. The reason? Last year when I went to an amusement park, -I came out just fine - but apparently my BF was on the guard because a week before we went a woman with the same length hair as mine was scalped by a ride. :run:

I had never heard of such a thing happening before and I never want it to happen to me.

That is so scary. :scared:I once heard about a girl on the news that got her long hair got in the back of the wheel while riding her four wheeler.

I read a lot of preferences for braids. I think that would be a good choice so you can hold on to it and tuck it in the front of the shirt.

Today is my birthday and we are going to an amusement park so that is how I got the idea to ask about it right now. :)

Nightshade
June 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
A Ficcare in a Gibraltar bun did me just fine on this:

http://www.floridatix.co.uk/images/plan-your-trip/coaster-hulk.jpg

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
:D I rode most of the Disney Rollercoasters with my hair down. BIG. MISTAKE.

The picture from Rockin' Rollercoaster was particularly funny. You know how it goes 0-60 right off the bat? Well, APPARENTLY, it went so fast that it stretched out all my curl and nearly HIT the person behind me. I regret not shelling out the cash to buy it.

After that day, my hair remained ponytailed. xD;

Heavenly Locks
June 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Well, APPARENTLY, it went so fast that it stretched out all my curl and nearly HIT the person behind me.

Bwahahaha!!

Priceless. :)

freznow
June 11th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Well, APPARENTLY, it went so fast that it stretched out all my curl and nearly HIT the person behind me.

Hmm, new straightening technique for fancy salons to use?

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
If only. xD Fairly hair safe too. Too bad it didn't last.

I don't know what possessed me to wear my hair down. XD It was bad enough that it was HUMID, but after all the rollercoasters I had a HUGE FRO.

lambhair
June 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
When we went to Disneyland this spring, I did a simple dutch braid in my TB length hair starting right behind my ears. I then pulled the tail through the back of my baseball cap...we rode every rollercoaster there (except for the one in the California area of the park-my youngest son was too short) multiple times and I never had a problem...my hat stayed on and I didn't whack anyone with the braid!

trolleypup
June 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Pony scrub or braid tucked in my shirt. Pony scrub gives better results after, less comfortable during. Very long time since I just ponytailed it, but I remember epic snarls.

Of course, the best roller coasters don't have all those newfangled restraints and head enclosures, so having a bun or bump isn't a problem.
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/roller-coaster-lakeside-cyclone-cars-detail.jpg
Fixed lapbar (hahahaha handbar for the timid)
Single bench deep padded seats so you can slide around without getting bruises
No headrest
User adjustable single lap belt (modern retrofit).

snowbear
June 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I do a braid or ponytail down my shirt and tucked into my undergarments. Holds nicely, and if anything gets loose, it's still contained in my shirt.

Sheltie_Momma
June 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Just got back from Disneyworld. My hair isn't super long, just past bra strap, so it was more of a protective issue than a safety one for me. We had a backpack and there was a lot of getting on and off buses, trams,etc - you know all the usual places where hairs get snagged & caught up on things.

So I did two braided pigtails that I kept in front off me and when not actively on a ride I wore a hat so my part wouldn't get sunburned. The hat caused some breakage on top, in retrospect I would have done pigtails and a pinned scarf instead or maybe lined the hat with fabric. So think about that if you wear a straw hat this summer!

LisaJaney
June 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Good advice on how to keep your hair confined in ultra-active situations!! As I'm not a rollercoaster-rider, I have nothing to add (I'm with Carolyn, riding the gentler rides, thankyouverymuch!)

Mod-Hat-ON:
Please can we refrain from sharing the ghastly and gruesome scalping stories? Just like we avoid "the drastic chop horror stories" around here, we'd like to avoid this sort of titillating stuff as well.... Thanks so much! :cookie: :cheese: and :cake:

Quixii
June 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I avoid roller coasters because they make me ill, but I'd assume if I were to go on one I would braid my hair and hold it/tuck it in my shirt/let it loose.

ETA: Upon further reflection, I was persuaded to go on Space Mountain at Disneyland, and just left my hair in a ponytail. I believe that ride has back rests, though - so hair was held back by my back. xD

Kiraela
June 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Good advice on how to keep your hair confined in ultra-active situations!! As I'm not a rollercoaster-rider, I have nothing to add (I'm with Carolyn, riding the gentler rides, thankyouverymuch!)

I need to get my glasses checked. I first read that as, "As I'm not a rollercoaster, I have nothing to add..." :cheese:

Stevy
June 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Crown braid, all the way. It stays put, and it doesn't stick into my head if I have to lean back.

Then again, I only go on the weenie roller coasters, because I'm scared of the ones that tip you upside down. ;)

Laurenji
June 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM

:rollin:

Bahahahaha! I can only imagine the photograph...the look on the other person's face must have been priceless.

hennaphile
June 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I don't like rollercoasters, and I'm sure this has been said, but absolutely keep your hair contained, maybe even in your shirt. You REALLY don't want to think about what can happen if it get's caught, we learned that in anatomy :shudder:

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
A Ficcare in a Gibraltar bun did me just fine on this:

http://www.floridatix.co.uk/images/plan-your-trip/coaster-hulk.jpgOoooooo looks FUN! Where is that?

rogue_psyche
June 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This reminds me of how, as a Disneyland pass holder and not yet a long hair enthusiast, I would decide to cut my hair when the people riding behind me on Indiana Jones would grab my hair and pull it during the ride. That happens between APL and BSL for me, grr. Now I'm going to have to braid it or something.

JamieLeigh
June 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It takes maybe 20 seconds for me to braid my hair, at classic length, and usually it stays put for a bit with no elastic. If I were to ride a roller coaster, and I had been wearing my hair loose in the park all day (which I really don't think I would have - I'd probably have either a low pony or some sort of bun), I'd just reach back and braid it quickly, and then take it back down after the ride. Or maybe if I knew I'd be riding things all day long, I'd wear it in a braid to begin with. :)

Pegasus Marsters
June 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
:D I rode most of the Disney Rollercoasters with my hair down. BIG. MISTAKE.

The picture from Rockin' Rollercoaster was particularly funny. You know how it goes 0-60 right off the bat? Well, APPARENTLY, it went so fast that it stretched out all my curl and nearly HIT the person behind me. I regret not shelling out the cash to buy it.

After that day, my hair remained ponytailed. xD;

This amuses me muchly.

I had two shorter strands around my face, that wouldn't fit into my braids, so all the pics of me on rides had two antennae from that bit standing up! :lol:

GoddesJourney
June 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I am a huge fan of the regular braid at the nape. I typically tuck it into my left bra strap in that little dent just above my collar bone. This is a method I used for years for martial arts and it always stayed pretty well. I remember doing this on rollercoasters and had no problems. If it was a problem, I would just hold my braid. I know a girl that had classic and she would just stick her braid down the back of her shirt.

It's an interesting point though, with the being careful with longer hair. I'm about half way between BSL and WL now and I'm having a hard time when I go out salsa dancing. It won't stay if I put it up because I spin fast (even with lots of pins) and if I braid it, someone will get the tip of my braid in their eye. Usually, I just wear it down, but the other day my hair got caught in the crook of the guy's elbow that was spinning me and I had whiplash for about a week and the headaches that go with it. I remember a girl who was a pretty good dancer with classic length at least and she wore it down, no problem. Maybe at that length it's too low and heavy to catch on much.

And yes, it get's tangled. It detangles itself in the shower with water and conditioner, but now and then I find knots in my hair. I was surprised that I could get a knot a third of the way up a single hair. Go figure.

Nightshade
June 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Ooooooo looks FUN! Where is that?

THat's the Hulk coaster at Universal Studios in FL. I was there for a business convention :p

nowxisxforever
June 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Italian hair taping!

< hates rollercoasters.

Nicoliee
January 21st, 2011, 05:09 AM
Depends on the roller coaster. If it goes upside down I have to do a bun otherwise I'd be all knots! I'm only waist length. For most the ones I ride a ponytail suffices just fine.

Anywhere
January 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
I cant remember what I do... I believe it was braided but I'm not sure if I tucked it in my shirt or what.

But I would never ever leave it loose, even at my length. :bigeyes:

MandaMom2Three
January 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
I went on my first loop de loop rollercoaster last summer (first ANY coaster with even remotely long hair) a well fitting hijab kept my hair nicely out of harms way (from rides AND sunshine :D).

abbatabba1137
April 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I would love to hear some more ideas.....
So I'm bumping :D

CurlyCreature
April 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hahaha when I saw the title of this thread I knew it was going to be good ;)

Well I live in flordia, so I frequent theme parks in Orlando regularly... When I was a kid, I would purposefully let my curly hair POOF because it made me look taller and I could get on the rides XD

Now adays though, it's so HOT that I just normally put my hair up. If you're hairs really long though... I don't know, I mean the lines are long enough to probably do a really elaborate hair style or something! haha it would give you something to do while you wait! I know it sounds uncomfortable, but how about sitting on it? I sit on my flip flops when we go...

Lostsoule77
April 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I've usually just braid or pony my hair and put it behind my back if there is a full seat back and overhead harness that keeps you in place. If there is a lap harness it's still braided or ponied and I just put it into my shirt behind me. I've never had a problem yet and I love roller coasters.

gonzobird
June 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I'm going to cedar point in Ohio in 2 weeks. My hair is almost waist length, by I have a thousand layers so braids or buns won't work... ( there's a coaster there that goes from 0 to 120mph in 4 seconds ..... oh boy)

Do you think a low pony with a scrunchie and stuffing it all in a tight beanie would be a good idea? I'm going for it..I may have to put a hand on my head to keep it from flying off but to prevent all those tangles I think it will be a good way to go.

Carissamarie08
June 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Just had to chime in and say that I love cedar point in Ohio!

heidi w.
June 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I trust my ability with hairsticks to create an updo that stays put. And I love rollercoasters. They make me laugh endlessly, really hard that I tear up. People think I'm nuts cause I don't scream. I just laugh. I have to choose wisely though cause a lot of the seats are really uncomfortable and wrench my back.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm going to cedar point in Ohio in 2 weeks. My hair is almost waist length, by I have a thousand layers so braids or buns won't work... ( there's a coaster there that goes from 0 to 120mph in 4 seconds ..... oh boy)

Do you think a low pony with a scrunchie and stuffing it all in a tight beanie would be a good idea? I'm going for it..I may have to put a hand on my head to keep it from flying off but to prevent all those tangles I think it will be a good way to go.

For longer hair, the tangles is the least of the concern. My hair length could end up wrangled in the machinery somehow. One with longer length has to be far more mindful of safety.

heidi w.

luxepiggy
June 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I do the same thing for rollercoasters as I do for motorcycles. French braid the entire length and tuck the braid down the back of my shirt (^(oo)^)v

gonzobird
June 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks ladies! I'm of course putting it up so it doesn't get caught anywhere ;) but don't want it til get trashed, either. I'm going to try out a few things and run violently thru the wind to try them out. ( just kidding....;)

4C4rly4
June 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've actually heard a story like this, and it has to do with the Superman ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

This girl with really long hair was on the ride, and once the ride got to the top, and I guess was right about to go back down, her hair caught on the Superman figure, and basically took her head off.

This isn't a true story (I looked it up online and couldn't find anything about it) but even though my hair isn't really that long right now, I still take stories like this as a warning to tie it up during roller coasters!

Tisiloves
June 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Pigtail/ Pocahontas plaits with a bandana (to protect my scalp) and tucked in my shirt/ bra straps.

Amygirl8
June 4th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I've gone with plain ponytails and have been fine, even with my hip length hair.
Although, truth be told with the record-breaking heat I also essentially fried my hair. That was before I really cared though, and at that point I cared more about going on the rides than my hair's condition.
Now that you bring it up, I'd personally go with a side braid. I wouldn't do a regular braid since I find it awkward tucking it in places, but with a side braid it naturally goes in front (and under the harness!) so that's fine for me.
Updos I wouldn't enjoy because of the scalding heat XD It can get up to more than 45 degrees Celsius here in the summer with the humidity, so nada from me XD

Servana
June 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I've never been on a roller coaster & I never want to. I went on a roller coaster simulator & it was scary enough. However, if I had to go on a roller coaster I would wear my hair in a low braided ponytail.