PDA

View Full Version : Dimethicone low down--Marie Claire

Darkhorse1
June 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Well, color me shocked when I bought the latest issue of Marie Claire, with Cameron Diaz on the cover.

Inside, they have an article on how to get back to your 'virgin' hair (sorry igor! know you hate that term ;) )

The author explains how her hair was fadded, frayed and dull. She was a blond, and used a lot of products.

After being told she should cut, she went to a top hair dresser, stylist corey Powell and he's the one to maintain Cameron Diaz's locks, Drew Barrymore and Renee Zellwegger. He inspected her hair and said the root cause of damage:

Dimethecone usage. The smoothing ingredient acts as a barrier, sealing out moisture--it's adept at de-frezzing hair as water proofing your shoes (wow!).

If you inhibit moisture content of the shaft too much, you end up with dry hair.

Trichologist Philip Kingsley said that since silicone is so commonplace it's hard to avoid. He suggests finding products that list it low in the ingredients (I think he's been reading LHC!!!) and using it sparingly.

A created scalp treatment consisted of (ready gang??!!)
pomegranate and camellia oil, avocado, egg white, banana, honey, milk and follicle rejuvenating rosemary.

Um, did someone steal recipes from here?!?!?

Interestingly enough, he used the heat from a hair dryer to push oils to the ends, since the ends don't get as much and protects it from shampooing.

She says that after 3 appointments, she had fewer flyaways and frizz.

Well! There you go! I'm going to try their suggested Garneir Fructius 3 minute dry hair reversal and also invest in some Loreal Ever Pure conditioner. Sulphate free, but who knows, it may work better than Burts bees. My ends are fried from work already, and I'm having to lose 1/2 an inch today to rid myself of splits/dryness.

Magdalene
June 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I saw that article and thought it was interesting. I'm not so sure about using the blow dryer, but I was suprised at how dead-on it was about dimethicone.

RoseRedDead
June 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Be warned about the EverPure shampoo. I've heard it has a great deal of 'cones in it... So unless your hair likes that... <Shrug.>

misstwist
June 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Be warned about the EverPure shampoo. I've heard it has a great deal of 'cones in it... So unless your hair likes that... <Shrug.>

I don't see any cones in the conditioner OP mentioned. Didn't say she was going to get the shampoo.

L'Oreal EverPure Moisture Conditioner, Rosemary Mint

Ingredients

Water - Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Behentrimonium Chloride , Cetyl Esters , Isopropyl Myristate , Quaternium-80 , Polysorbate 20 , Fragrance - Parfum , Methylparaben , Camphor Benzalkonium Methosulfate , Polyquaternium-37 , Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum , Benzophenone-3 , Peppermint Leaf Extract - Mentha Piperita , Tocopherol , Limonene , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Linalool , Rosemary Leaf Oil - Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citronellol

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304584&navAction=jump&navCount=1&skuid=sku4252882&id=prod4254012#ingredient

RoseRedDead
June 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I don't see any cones in the conditioner OP mentioned. Didn't say she was going to get the shampoo.

Whoops, I see you're right. Sorry. :o I misread that as being "shampoo".

Darkhorse1
June 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I was going to just get the conditioner from Ever Pure, not shampoo. ;)

My only thought on dimethecone is that I would think the levels that it takes to treat shoes would be much lower and intense in your hair. In theory, how much moisture does your hair at the ends get? Probably not alot if it's really long. And, if there theory is dimethecone seals out moisture, then, in theory, your hair would not get wet due to the repelling of water.

Any conditioner I've used with dimethecone in it washes/rinses off my hands very easily. This would lead me to believe the amount in it would be much less than for waterproofing any personal item. Also, the fact it rinses free from my hands would imply that the minute you wash your hair, there should be little to no build up.

Just my two cents. Got 1 inch trimmed today and I have to say, I love my hair dresser!!!

Unofficial_Rose
June 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I remember another Philip Kingsley article a year or so back - sorry, don't have the source, where he was asked what the best thing for hair was, whereupon he sung the praises of silicone. Although he did not say which cone.

He has no problem with amodimethicone. It's in his product Elasticizer.

FWIW, I also remember him recommending daily washing a few years ago. I've just seen the old fraud on QVC pushing his hair products, where he hinted that daily washing was bad.

I'd take anything the "renowned trichologist" says with a pinch of salt, although apparently he charges &#163;350 a pop for a private consultation. LHC is a much better source of information, from my experience.

Could well be that Corey Howell knows his stuff, though!

AJoifulNoise
June 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Every time I read that dimethicone is evil, I raise an eyebrow. I understand that for some this is true (such as the person in the OP), but for others it is not. I use conditioners full of dimethicone and I use coconut oil. I know the coconut oil penetrates the so-called "moisture barrier," because I can see and feel the difference. Now, perhaps this is because I shampoo at least once a week so there really is no chance for the silicones to build-up. Or maybe I'm just lucky. I just don't want anyone reading this to assume that they must throw away all products containing dimethicone. You only have to do that if they aren't working for you.

Fractalsofhair
June 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
If you can wash your hair often with a detergent shampoo, cones will not build up. They do seal out moisture for my hair, but it does depend on the amount of oil your hair naturally produces and such. They make damaged hair look virgin due to the shine and all that fun stuff, but they do not heal the hair. It's a good idea for a quick fix, but oils and protein are generally the best for adding stuff back into the hair shaft and protecting the hair. It does depend on one's hair though, and I think the bigger issue than conditioner is a shine serum that is almost 100&#37; cones, as most are!

az_sweetie01
June 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Off topic slightly but, I just noticed that the Ever Pure I use (the volumizing one) does have dimethicone in it.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304584&navAction=jump&navCount=1&nug=VPD&skuid=sku4252886&id=prod4254016

Ingredients

Water - Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Isopropyl Myristate , Cetyl Esters , Fragrance - Parfum , Dimethicone , Camphor Benzalkonium Methosulfate , Polyquaternium-37 , Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum , Methylparaben , Sodium Chloride , Amodimethicone , Benzophenone-3 , Peppermint Leaf Extract - Mentha Piperita , Tocopherol , Limonene , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , Rosemary Leaf Oil - Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citric Acid , Citronellol

plainjanegirl
June 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Off topic slightly but, I just noticed that the Ever Pure I use (the volumizing one) does have dimethicone in it.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304584&navAction=jump&navCount=1&nug=VPD&skuid=sku4252886&id=prod4254016

Ingredients

Water - Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Isopropyl Myristate , Cetyl Esters , Fragrance - Parfum , Dimethicone , Camphor Benzalkonium Methosulfate , Polyquaternium-37 , Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum , Methylparaben , Sodium Chloride , Amodimethicone , Benzophenone-3 , Peppermint Leaf Extract - Mentha Piperita , Tocopherol , Limonene , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , Rosemary Leaf Oil - Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citric Acid , Citronellol

sorry off topic, but does it seem to be volumizing really??

Darkhorse1
June 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've noticed products with dimethecone also have rosemary oil in it. I find that interesting--if dimethecone is to seal out moisture, then putting rosemary oil in the product would be pointless.

I take all articles with a grain of salt--I just figured it'd be cool to show that what LHCers know is the same as stylists that charge a boat load.

Ok, off to the barn I go! :D

teela1978
June 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I've noticed products with dimethecone also have rosemary oil in it. I find that interesting--if dimethecone is to seal out moisture, then putting rosemary oil in the product would be pointless.

I take all articles with a grain of salt--I just figured it'd be cool to show that what LHCers know is the same as stylists that charge a boat load.

Ok, off to the barn I go! :D

I never quite buy the 'sealing out' thing. If your hair is soaking wet before you put on dimethicone, shouldn't it be sealing things 'in'?

Things work very differently on different hair obviously, but if dimethicone is truly sealing the hair shaft, it seems like that's not such a bad thing.

az_sweetie01
June 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
sorry off topic, but does it seem to be volumizing really??
It's funny you ask because when I saw that a volumizing conditioner had cones, I thought it was weird.... and the answer is no, not in my opinion. :)

I have such fine, straight hair that defying the law's of physics and gravity would be necessary to give me volume, lol.

I just don't want to waste it by chucking the nearly full bottle.

theshadowpuppet
June 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Pomegranate oil isn't one I see too often here. But it's surprising that they'd put camellia instead of just.. strictly traditional olive oil and eggs.

Darkhorse1
June 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
teela--that's my thoughts. If it was sealing in moisture, then it would be sealing in the water we put in our hair. Also, if it sealed out moisture, in theory, our hair wouldn't get wet...water would repel off it, and trust me, mine doesn't repel.

Flynn
June 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Every time I read that dimethicone is evil, I raise an eyebrow. I understand that for some this is true (such as the person in the OP), but for others it is not. I use conditioners full of dimethicone and I use coconut oil. I know the coconut oil penetrates the so-called "moisture barrier," because I can see and feel the difference. Now, perhaps this is because I shampoo at least once a week so there really is no chance for the silicones to build-up. Or maybe I'm just lucky. I just don't want anyone reading this to assume that they must throw away all products containing dimethicone. You only have to do that if they aren't working for you.

QFT.

Haircare is not one-size-fits-all.