PDA

View Full Version : Torrin Paige ~ Thanks for the crown braid!

wackyredtangles
June 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I don't have a youtube account, so I don't get to thank you for the videos on there. I saw your crown braid video, which I absolutely don't think there are enough good tutorials for. Your dedication to learning the style and spreading the knowledge was just awesome, and your braid was so amazingly thick and pretty. :thud::thud:

You're such a brave lady for putting it all out there like that.

So here's a thanks for all that you do!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

BTW, you're also enabling with that tutorial of how to make fancy hair pins. Ever since then I've wanted to make some so much, but I'm moving soon and can't justify adding to the things that have to be put in boxes and moved.

LadyLongLocks
June 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Torrin, Your Crown Braid tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjLWkfiHvE) was really nice. You really put a lot of effort in to making it. It came out really pretty!

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
XDDDD

I really like the 'more easier' banner. xDDD Seems like something I'd do. :lol:

Edit: It's REALLY pretty. I just finished watching the video.

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I'm famous! LOL. I never thought I'd see a thread with my name in it on the front page. So weird but very cool. You are welcome! After having accomplished the crown braid, I now realize that APL to BSL are really the ideal lengths for this particular hairstyle, but I was bound and determined to do one as there were simply no video tutorials to be had on You Tube...none for doing it on oneself, anyway. GoddesJourney was a huge help to me and she went through the process with me so that we could finally figure out the best technique for achieving good results. The Dutch Lace was the only way I could make it look good on myself, but as she doesn't have quite as much hair as I do, her straight up French crown is looking really good. It was awesome having someone tackling it with me and it made me determined to get it right.

As upset as the crown braid made me at times, I'm really glad I finished it. Had I given up I'd have gotten down on myself and I do that enough as it is. I've already gotten a influx of pictures of girls showing me their results (which are awesome even on the first try! Go me!) and that has made it so worth it. It has also made me happy about my tutorials again (I have five ideas in my head for new ones) and gave me a boost when I needed one.

So, wackyredtangles, you are very welcome and I am so happy to have been helpful. That has always been my goal. And Lady Long Locks, I'm glad you liked it as well. As my very first You Tube friend you are also my best support system (and still my greatest inspiration!).

Furiana
June 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
You got a crown braid?! (And on camera!) Thank you, and congratulations! :happydance:

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
XDDDD

I really like the 'more easier' banner. xDDD Seems like something I'd do. :lol:

LOL. My hubby laughed at that as well. He said I can't help the way I talk, as I am a born and raised hillbilly (which is true, but still). I try very hard to use correct grammar, but sometimes my mouth runs faster than my brain and it isn't until later that everything catches up. I just felt the need to clarify. and if I can do it in a fun way, why not? :)

Mary <><
June 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Torrin Paige - Your tutorials are amazing! Thanks for all of the time and effort you put into them! They have helped me learn many styles I would never have even attempted otherwise! Now off to learn to crown braid!!! :eyebrows:

teela1978
June 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
That was one of the more enjoyable hair tutorials I've watched. Every crown braid attempt I've tried made me just about as frustrated as Torrin was :)

ETA: and it turned out beautiful!

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
LOL. My hubby laughed at that as well. He said I can't help the way I talk, as I am a born and raised hillbilly (which is true, but still). I try very hard to use correct grammar, but sometimes my mouth runs faster than my brain and it isn't until later that everything catches up. I just felt the need to clarify. and if I can do it in a fun way, why not? :)

Haha.

I'm a current English major, and I write very well...speaking, on the other hand....:rolleyes: XD

Also, I edited that post after finishing the video. It looks like a perfect crown braid to me. Very pretty. :D

misstwist
June 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I've noticed the occasional double model, which I think is cute.

Double models, reckon, figure and crick are the hick childhood uses that have stuck with me most.

wackyredtangles
June 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I already knew how to do a crown braid, but it was really difficult learning. I got all obsessed for about a week straight and kept doing it until I figured it out. I haven't worn my hair like that for nearly a year though, so I'll have to try it again with my almost waist length hair. There really isn't that much info on the crown braid out there, so I thought what you did was great. It was more of a general thank you, but I thought I'd gear it towards the crown braid since you worked so hard on it.

I like the grammar slip ups. Videos that aren't too polished are always better IMHO.

And yes, you are famous!

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've noticed the occasional double model, which I think is cute.

Double models, reckon, figure and crick are the hick childhood uses that have stuck with me most.

Well it is a crick! People say creek and it always takes me a minute to realize that they mean a small stream of water and not a squeaky floor board. :) I've broken myself of a lot of my bad habits, but some of them are just so ingrained that I don't think I'll ever break them. At this point in time, I don't mind so much and just figure it adds character.

I am like Glass Eyes, though, in that I can write very well. My hubby read through some of the papers I did in college, looked up at me and said, "Holy cow, babe, you're really smart! This doesn't even sound like you. You really wrote this?" Yes I wrote it! Of course, I've read some of them myself and thought the same thing, but I'm not telling him that. ;)

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I don't think people should have to be rid of the little...uhh 'flavorings' they add to the English language. Or any language, really. Adds variety.

With writing though, it can be a pain. There, I like my English as well-formed and upper-crust as any stick-up-his-butt English gentleman. :p Unless I'm writing a character's dialogue, for the most part.

DarkChocolate
June 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I thought your crown braid was beautiful:):) Your hair is amazing as well:)

Naava
June 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I will join the group that loves your tutorials. I would also like to add that even though I don't know you, you come across as a really nice person :)

Heavenly Locks
June 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I will join the group that loves your tutorials. I would also like to add that even though I don't know you, you come across as a really nice person :)

I second this totally :) I love watching your vids and you come across as friendly and fun, you make it easy to learn and try stuff!

(even if you DO like the Pens...bleh! GO WINGS!) ;) :disco:

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Naava & Heavenly Locks, thank you. I like to think I'm a nice person, I try hard to be anyway. My filter isn't so good, so what you see in the vids is pretty much what you get. :o) I'm not for everyone, certainly, but the people who tend to dig me are the people I tend to dig right back. I'm a bit goofy and pretty much a dork, but I'm happy that way!

Oh and as to the whole Pens vs. Wings thing? The Wings are my second favorite team! LOL. They have been since Steve Yzerman played for them back in the 90's. What a hunk of hotness. Unfortunately, Mario will always be my most beloved, so the Wings have to come second. (Although, oddly enough, I rooted for them to win the Cup last year because I just love all of those "old" men kicking young tail.) Pens vs Wings is always my ideal Stanley Cup Final. I'm happy no matter who wins.

kmoc123
June 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Where do you get those hair pins????

Kiraela
June 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have to agree with Naava and Heavenlylocks.

I am going to try the fairytale braid soon - I think that one was my favorite. (tried a crown braid once. Took three hours to comb the tangles. Yours looked fantastic though)

jeno
June 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I can do it! Thankyou very very much! I've always wanted to do this hairstyle and thought it was too complicated. I'm so proud...

This is my second attempt EVER:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnefm0.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/2hfqozt.jpg

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Where do you get those hair pins????

Sally Beauty Supply. They are called Good Days Magic Grip hair pins...but they are also available online right here:http://mp.hairboutique.com/Good-Hair-Days-Magic-Grip-Hairpins-10-Crystal/P/101541
They come in clear, tortoise shell, and black, I believe. They really do hold like the devil.

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I can do it! Thankyou very very much! I've always wanted to do this hairstyle and thought it was too complicated. I'm so proud...

This is my second attempt EVER:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnefm0.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/2hfqozt.jpg

Heck yeah! Your second attempt ever looks like my final attempt...which was something like 56. LOL. I am so proud. *sniff* It looks fab!

MoonMaiden90
June 10th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Yes, your stuff is amazing Torrin Paige! Thank you!

Merlin
June 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, your catch-phrase is..... "all....righty"

Phalaenopsis
June 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have a lot of respect for you, Torrin Paige! You gave me a new perspective on the crown braid.

It's so great that you didn't give up. :)

ETA: and I also really HATE this hairstyle too :grin: As much as a lacebraid, even though it's so pretty, my arms really do not like it!

Dementia1013
June 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Oh i love it! Great tutorial. I love your tutorials on Youtube. and your hair is so gorgeous and thick! Plus you're so darn cute when on the vids. lol.
I've got a challenge for you though... Queen amidala hairstyles. Have you tried them? I would love to learn how to do her style from when she's storming the palace on naboo or any of them for that matter. :D

Now off to try out a crown braid!
/runs out of thread.

Naava
June 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I had to try the crown braid too. I turned out surprisingly good, thanks to the great tutorial, but unfortunately I noticed that it made the back of my head look flat... I blame my parents for that :D

heidihug
June 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've only ever done fake crown/Heidi braids. I am now inspired to try a real one! I will let you know whether or not it's as much of an epic fail as past attempts have been.

And I say "All...righty, then" all the time. And I earned majors in journalism and English! :rolleyes:

PS - I adore Good Days pins. They are all I ever use, and they hold like cement in my hair.

Elphie
June 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I was also an English major...and I know I say "all righty" all the time!

Great video! You're a lot of fun to watch. I might even give it a try now.

Torrin Paige
June 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Maybe it's an English Major thing, then? I've got my BA in English Lit and Journalism. I do use "alrighty then" all the time. I also tend towards "anywhoodle" and "okie dokie." I am currently ending sentences with "yo" and putting old school urban style vernacular in when I can because it annoys my hubby. He thinks I am way too caucasian to be using the terms, "Holla at your girl," "homie," "home skillet," "home slice," etc. I also have been known to overuse "cool," "groovy," and "you dig?". I can't help it; I love vernacular. (And 70's exploitation flicks.) Besides it's always worth it for the eye-rolling and disapproving looks that he gives me. I'm a rebel in small ways. :)

RoseRedDead
June 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I :love: you, Torrin.

Your videos are so helpful and well-done, with a lot of styles I'm itching to get down...

Not to mention you are probably the cutest, sweetest, awesomest lady I have ever seen.

Gahh! :crush: Now I'm back off to hide under my rock...

Fairlight63
June 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I want to thank you for your video's, you are so helpful! You have hair that I wish for!

redemption_song
June 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I saw your video on LJ and it helped me do my first successful crown braid on myself! I'd tried before, but it always turned out pretty wonky before.

hela
June 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
We love you Torrin!:D I swear before I found your channel and this forum, I only wore my hair in boring ponytails and was seriously considering getting a radical haircut.

You saved my hair and opened before my eyes a whole universe of things to do with my hair... And keep it out of my baby's reach at the same time.

You should set up your own webpage and get rich!:p

lambhair
June 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Your vids are the best! Each one is inspiring and educational. You explain things so clearly and easily that its simple to follow.
The crown braid is a classic!
I'm originally from western Pa and all I can say is GO PENS!
I love love love the Pens but my mom is an even more hardcore fan...if something happens in the family like a health problem or something she usually calls me like, a week later to tell me about it but if there's a Penguin game on, she calls me to give a long distance play by play!
GO PENS!

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I decided I must have some of those Good Hair Day pins, took me off to Sallys, and got some. I like them. but they're not that good about keeping my ends in. Perhaps I just have unruly ends? I used a bobby for the ends, and the GHDP to secure the rest of the bun. I really do have to do a crown braid one of these days, and post a pic up on this thread. I've never done it on my head with a lace braid, so that'll be an adventure.

getoffmyskittle
June 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
After having accomplished the crown braid, I now realize that APL to BSL are really the ideal lengths for this particular hairstyle, but I was bound and determined to do one as there were simply no video tutorials to be had on You Tube...none for doing it on oneself, anyway.

Oh there weren't, were there? :suspect:

Perhaps not on oneself with APL to BSL, but I can surely think of a Dutch lace crown done on oneself with classic length.

Alexus1325
June 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I just wanted to add that Torrin's Elizabethan dutch-braid crown video was what got me onto this forum, and of course, I just HAD to join!

ROCK ON, TORRIN!!!!

Diamondbell
June 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I learnt this style from getoffmyskittle - who has probably done the first video (youtube) instruction ever of this beautiful updo. :) But I will be trying this method too, since it starts off differently... (thanks again!)

Torrin Paige
June 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I set out to do this tutorial months ago, and no there weren't any videos on You Tube then. That was when I decided that I was going to learn how to do one. GoddesJourney was there with me trying out all the different techniques that we came across, trying to find one that worked. She pointed me to Skittles tutorial and I had a go with Skittles version, but it didn't work out nicely on my head like it did on hers. So I continued trying and failing until I came up with one that worked for me (with a lot of help from Goddes.) Skittles is now upset and calling me a liar (which I don't appreciate, as I did not lie...there weren't any vids on crown braiding on YT when I started, thank you) which is fine. Had I known that being a member of this community would result in such a backlash from a simple tutorial, I should have left well enough alone and just continued being my goofy self over on the Tube. It bums me out a little, since I've met such awesome people here, but I can see that when you have a lot of people gathered in one place, feelings get hurt, things get said, and drama happens. I live my life in a drama free zone as much as I can, and I plan to continue to do so. I will still frequent the boards and join in on discussions that interest me, but I'll be damned if I even look at another hairstyle for fear of causing an uproar when I "steal" it for another of my tutorials. Thanks for all of your kind words, ladies and gents. And Skittles, I'm sorry, once again, for causing you any pain and suffering. It wasn't my intention. My intention has always been only to help out other longhaired peoples. Regards.

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hrm. There seems to be drama, and as I started the thread I feel sort of responsible.

Skittles I think its great you put up a video, especially of a crown braid, and it does look like you were the first one to put it up. I'm guessing this thread made you feel kind of bad, since you were the first one to put up a video and not getting any of the credit. I didn't know you had a crown braid up, but that wasn't the point. I already knew how to do a crown braid, so I wouldn't have cared anyways (I mean that in the nicest possible way). It was more that I saw the video, and another one previously, and Torrin had been so determined to learn, and she didn't even like the hairstyle but figured it out for her viewers anyways. It was more of a general thank you, because I'm sure tons of time and effort goes into those videos. I'm sure tons of time and effort went into yours too. However, you didn't create the crown braid. I went off on a mission over a year ago to learn it, and found instructions on lots of websites. I had to combine them all into something that worked for me, but I certainly didn't find any videos.

Torrin all this drama is too bad, and I hope you stay on in the community. You're such a fun lady to have around and you do such excellent vids. Even if someone else 'invented' the hairstyle, which I'm not sure is possible and might be a bit like an original idea, its always soooooo helpful to see them in vid format. You're also great at explaining things. I also remember a thread awhile back where you specifically asked everyones advice on how to deal with hairstyles that were someone else's, and I believe the general consensus was not to worry and just go for it.

Anyways, :cheese::cheese::cheese: for all.

freznow
June 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Oh there weren't, were there? :suspect:

Perhaps not on oneself with APL to BSL, but I can surely think of a Dutch lace crown done on oneself with classic length.

Huffly hedgehog are you. You're a little more camouflaged than the pretty bird, the travelers did not see you in their path.

getoffmyskittle
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Torrin Paige, when you said that there were no videos, I had already posted mine. If you search YouTube for "crown braid," my video comes up on the first page, and it has ever since I first posted it in my blog.

wackyredtangles, I do not appreciate your reminder, since you have never talked to me and have absolutely no idea what happened. I know I didn't create the crown braid. My objection was simply to the fact that Torrin Paige stated publicly that there were no crown braid tutorial videos after she had viewed mine. It was both unfair (since I put plenty of effort into both perfecting the style and creating the video) and untrue.

Since Torrin Paige has decided to disclose contents of a private message conversation on the public boards, I would like to set the record straight and point out that I first told her that the entire purpose of my posting the video was to help people with the style, that I was glad she had been able to do it, AND that I was glad her video was helping people. For the third time, my objection lies in the fact that she was trying to claim that her video was the first. It was not, and she knew that. THAT is what I am not happy about.

ETA: For the record: my initial video was on Photobucket, but I had a line directly in the post about uploading it to YouTube as soon as I could, which I did the next day.

Anyway, I'm tired of the who did it first pissing match. I made the video for fun and for helping people, and people were helped, and this thread has turned into the opposite of the purpose behind the video. I'm finished now.

Aisha25
June 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
SKitts never said she created the crown braid, She created the FIRST video cause she figured it would help some people out :rolleyes: She even states in her video she did it to remedy the situation for there being no crown braid videos on LHC:mad:

And wreckedtangles if you didnt care either way why did you make this thread saying how much you love torin page for making this braid:rolleyes:

Naava
June 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I don't even understand why does it really matter who was the first. I find it sad that this conversation (as well as others) has to be ruined by some "I was the first, not you" childishness. It just seems like there are people who have to create drama where ever they go.

Aisha25
June 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
What is upsetting is the lie that torrin said that no one had any crown braid on youtube when she knew skitts had done a video. She even commented on skitts blog for doing one,way before this thread:rolleyes:

Torrin Paige
June 11th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Now we are arguing semantics..but to clarify...I never claimed to do the FIRST crown tutorial. I merely stated that I decided I was going to tackle the crown braid as there were no tutorials AT THAT TIME. That would be the time that I decided to learn how to do the hairstyle. When I viewed your tutorial it was not up yet on YT (you even said that you were going to have to go and put it there as Photobucket cut off the finishing) and I confess I didn't search for it on YT before I put mine up. I'm happy you were first. Now please let us stop with this nonsense. Actually, I'll just stop.

Cinnamon Hair
June 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
For reference, Physicschick has a great thread of Video Style Instructions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235&highlight=video+instructions). Perhaps both of you should post the crown braid (and any other updo videos you did) YouTube link there. That is the first place I look for style instructions. People posting threads, blog entries, or just searching on YouTube is a lot more trouble than having all videos in one central location. Not that I mind seeing the new threads or blogs... those give me a heads up that new videos are out there!

If 10 more people did a crown braid or any other style, I would be just as happy to watch each one because, as it was pointed out, everyone does a style at least slightly differently.

ETA: Although not exclusively for videos, the Hair Style Dictionary (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=259752#post259752) is another great reference thread.

tarn
June 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I watched it last night and it was great!
I think it turned out beautifully but I was feeling for you with the hair snapping whilst braiding!
Thanks for putting in the effort and making it so watchable. I agree - the banter made it better!

DragonLady
June 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Ouch. :(

Reading the last couple of pages of posts was like watching one of those old sitcoms, where an entire situation goes to hell because of simple misunderstandings. Only here, there's no humor; only hurt.

Torrin, I love your video tutorials, and hope you make lots more of them. getoffmyskittle, I haven't seen your video, but will try to find it and watch it this evening.

I love the look of crown braids, and would just love to learn to do it. So far, my few half-hearted attempts have gotten me nothing but huge tangles and broken hairs. :(

Pegasus Marsters
June 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That tutorial is awesome, I may just have to attempt that style at some point now!

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
SKitts never said she created the crown braid, She created the FIRST video cause she figured it would help some people out :rolleyes: She even states in her video she did it to remedy the situation for there being no crown braid videos on LHC:mad:

And wreckedtangles if you didnt care either way why did you make this thread saying how much you love torin page for making this braid:rolleyes:

Again, I already knew how to do a crown braid. When I learned it was very difficult because there weren't any concise directions. I had to figure out all the hand switching and what worked best myself. Perhaps I should have reworded the name of the thread to reflect my actual intentions, but that isn't what happened.

That being said I think that it was great that Torrin put up a hairstyle that she didn't even like, and wouldn't normally do in her hair just because her viewers requested it. There's a video from about a month earlier or so where she talks about her struggles with the crown braid, so she must have put a ton of effort in. I was thanking the massive amount of effort, and the time that went into all that trial and error, as well as the huge amount of time spent in general on her tutorials. As I also started I don't have a youtube account, so I've never been able to thank anyone on their vids, and since I know Torrin is on the LHC I wanted to thank her. When she started trying to learn the crown braid there weren't any videos on youtube, which is what she stated. If you notice the time lapse between Skittle's and Torrin's videos are only two days. Obviously Skittle's video was first, but I also don't think Torrin claimed to be first.

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Torrin Paige, when you said that there were no videos, I had already posted mine. If you search YouTube for "crown braid," my video comes up on the first page, and it has ever since I first posted it in my blog.

wackyredtangles, I do not appreciate your reminder, since you have never talked to me and have absolutely no idea what happened. I know I didn't create the crown braid. My objection was simply to the fact that Torrin Paige stated publicly that there were no crown braid tutorial videos after she had viewed mine. It was both unfair (since I put plenty of effort into both perfecting the style and creating the video) and untrue.

Since Torrin Paige has decided to disclose contents of a private message conversation on the public boards, I would like to set the record straight and point out that I first told her that the entire purpose of my posting the video was to help people with the style, that I was glad she had been able to do it, AND that I was glad her video was helping people. For the third time, my objection lies in the fact that she was trying to claim that her video was the first. It was not, and she knew that. THAT is what I am not happy about.

ETA: For the record: my initial video was on Photobucket, but I had a line directly in the post about uploading it to YouTube as soon as I could, which I did the next day.

Anyway, I'm tired of the who did it first pissing match. I made the video for fun and for helping people, and people were helped, and this thread has turned into the opposite of the purpose behind the video. I'm finished now.

Skittles I know I have never talked to you, have no idea what you've been through and all that. I don't really think I need to as that's what empathy is for. It must have been difficult to put lots of time and effort into your vid, which was a very nice and well done vid and I think its awesome that you did it, and then to see an entire thread dedicated to Torrin's tutorial. As I stated before I don't have a youtube account, so I've never been able to personally thank anyone for their great works. Out of all the youtube vids I have probably watched Torrin's the most, and so I wanted to send out a thank you. I am certainly wishing now that I had picked a different title for the thread to more directly mirror my intentions, but that's not what happened.

As for Torrin viewing your video and you not feeling like she gave credit where credit was due that's between you two.

Aisha25
June 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Ok umm Skitts never complained about this thread,she just questioned what Torrin had said about there being no videos when Torrin knew on May 29th that skittss had made one. Why is that so hard for everyone to get that:rolleyes:

DragonLady
June 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok umm Skitts never complained about this thread,she just questioned what Torrin had said about there being no videos when Torrin knew on May 29th that skittss had made one. Why is that so hard for everyone to get that:rolleyes:

That's where the misunderstanding comes from. I've read through all of this; and this is the way the timeline seemed to go:

1) Torrin went looking for crown braids and found none.
2) Torrin began trying to make a crown braid.
3) Skittle posted her video.
3) Torrin found Skittle's video and watched it.
4) Torring said that when she began there were none.
5) Skittle got hurt and thought Torrin was lying.
6) Torrin got hurt.

In the end, nothing gained or accomplished except pain, anger, agony and a whole bunch of pulled hair. :(:(

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Can't we just all make up and have some :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: ?

I'm not sure of how big a thing posting hair videos is, so maybe there should be a sticky thread that you can post to saying, hey I posted a video on this at this url? I know I haven't seen half of the awesome stuff that is up there, and I'd love to.

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I didn't pick up on that the first time, but there's really no need for name calling. Just cuz your hair is smooth, glossy and gorgeous is no need to point out that mine isn't quite up to par. :confused::(

GoddesJourney
June 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone! Perhaps I should throw in my two cents. I'm sorry. My YouTube name is MarriedaMonkey. I've been working with Torrin Paige all this time trying to figure out how to do a crown braid (the traditional way, as in how it looks when someone else does it on you).

See this page for reference. I asked torrin paige if she knew how to do the braid on the bottom right corner of the page and if she could do a tutorial...
http://www.pandoraslocks.com/crown.php

By strange coincidence, I encountered getoffmyskittle's profile and she had a hair picture in her album with a beautiful crown braid. I asked her if she could give me some help and she responded almost imediately with a photobucket video! Her technique is different but it makes for a much easier and still really beautiful crown braid. Score!

So I tried it and flipped it around (braid back to front instead of front to back). I made a video and sent the links to torrin paige to see if that gives her any ideas. So she did it and it worked. She gave me credit on her video. I gave getoffmyskittle credit on my video.

Anyway, I kind of think torrin paige just made a comment without thinking about it and it happened to short change getoffmyskittle. I hope this helps. Torrin paige always makes great videos and I'm a big fan. Getoffmyskittle is a stand up girl who helped me out in a heart beat with my crown braid frustration. She rocks.

I've been off LHC for the last day or two because I was unable to login for some reason. Otherwise I would've cleared this up since, in a way, this was partially my fault or at least I had a hand in it.

On the bright side, now there are two great tutorials with two different beautiful ladies with gorgeous hair slightly different techniques on the crown braid! Go YouTube.

getoffmyskittle
June 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm ready to put all this down to a misunderstanding/communication lapse and move on. There's no need for anyone to leave LHC, especially not someone who can contribute as much as Torrin. Things were stated and misinterpreted on both sides, as happens on the interwebs, and I think by this point it really doesn't matter who did what when. I'm letting it go. Happy braiding, everyone. :flowers:

wintersun99
June 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
One benefit to this thread is that I was curious enough to search for both the vids. though I have no way of trying that style on myself, at present. :D

mugglemomof3
June 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
T.P.: Just wanted to say I've always enjoyed your instructional videos, and I think you're cute as a button. You remind me of my SIL and my sister's daughter all rolled into one. :waving:

florenonite
June 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
One benefit to this thread is that I was curious enough to search for both the vids. though I have no way of trying that style on myself, at present. :D

Yeah, they're both good. I prefer skitts's one for my own hair simply because in TorrinPaige's one she bends over at the start and plaits up the head, and my hair doesn't like that very much, whilst skitts's one allowed me to do the first Dutch crown I've managed in over a year (and the first I've ever worn out of the house!). I might try TorrinPaige's method at some point, though; my hair might surprise me.