PDA

View Full Version : Braid Compliment

Jason
April 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I went out to a restaurant with a friend last night. I had braided my hair in the morning but after work decided to rebraid it to make it neater.

My friend and I were poring over the menu as the waitress first brought us water. While I was still looking down I heard the waitress say to me "very nice braid, did you do it yourself?" It took me a moment to even digest what she said because I'm so used to hair being ignored by people outside of our haircentric community on the internet. After a slight pause I thanked her and said that, yes, I did braid it myself. I said that it took a lot of practice for me to make decent braids. She then said she wished could do hers on her own because she had just paid $10 for it to be braided at a salon.

I only had mine in a regular 3 strand while hers was French braided.

My friend smiled at me knowing that my day had just been made. It is fun to get compliments from people in the 'real' world. It's not that we need that validation but given the negativity out there, it can be a welcome surprise.

Just had to share!

SHELIAANN1969
April 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Jason, you have lovely hair, I am surprised you dont get MORE compliments in real life.

(I think some people are really just shy) me of course, never having met a stranger in my life, would just pop up and say WOW, great hair!

I am glad someone commented, your hair is healthy and fabulous.

paper
April 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Great story, Jason

Alot notice hair, but don't comment. That was nice she complimented you. I should start doing that more often.

FrannyG
April 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Well you do have an exceptional braid, Jason. I agree that it's surprising that you don't get more compliments. I'm really happy that you had that experience. :)

AprilElf
April 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yay, Jason! Thanks for sharing your compliment.
It's great to hear about people going out of their way to say something nice about someone else in real life. It's out of my comfort zone, but I really should do that more often - particularly since I've started to take more notice of other people's hair. :o

squiggyflop
April 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
yay for compliments! i almost never get compliments on my hairstyles (with the exception of my mickey mouse hairstyle).. i only really get compliments about my color.

wolf girl
April 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
:cheese: Yipppeee!!!! I know that made you walk on clouds the rest of the day. It's funny how our hair can determine how the rest of our day goes. Bad hair=bad day Good hair=good day :D I can be having a horrible day at work and if someone mentions something positive about my hair, suddenly I'm over the top on cloud nine :magic:

Xandergrammy
April 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
:joy: That's awesome, Jason!! Congratulations!!

updoprince
April 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Wow, jason, your hair is beautiful; I'm a bit jealous ;) lol

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Well deserved!!! :cheese:

khyricat
April 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
you have gorgeous hair and I know you make nice braids from your old photo journal, so for one, I am very happy to hear someone acknowledged and complimented you on it.. I have a coworker/podmate who gets people to braid her hair.. I refuse..

DavidN
April 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Congratulations, Jason, on getting that compliment. Those are the things that make it all worthwhile. I admit it is time to practice braiding again myself!

Gumball
April 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Rock on, Jason! That's a wonderful experience to have. Your hair's got magnetism. It's just too awesome. Spread some of that magnetism around! Haha. It's true what they say. You've got great hair so getting a compliment is totally deserved. :)

Lamb
April 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
WHat a nice compliment! Congrats.
(On a side note: she paid $10 for a French braid? Wow, some of the LHCers here really should go into business!!)

capelli lunghi
April 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
What a lovely compliment!! It is wonderful how much just a few simple words can brighten someone's day!

Lizbot
April 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
What a lovely compliment! Perhaps you should think again about your braiding skills. ;)

1nuitblanche
April 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Oh--that's so nice! I'm glad that someone spent the time to tell you that your hair rocks!

Áine
April 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well deserved!!! :cheese:

I'll say!

Jason, that compliment was rightly deserved. You do have gorgeous hair, if I do say so myself. ;)

almudena
April 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
That's so great!
Any pics BTW? :)

harpgal
April 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
That is a lovely story, Jason. I think you should have offered to braid her hair and charge her the $10.00 for it. ;)

TammySue
April 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
That is so awesome Jason! You deserved that compliment. I love braids on men!

(David, your hair would look so cool in a braid!)

harpgal
April 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
(David, your hair would look so cool in a braid!)Yes! And if "someone" actually does do this, could we all see a picture, please? LOL!

DavidN
April 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yes! And if "someone" actually does do this, could we all see a picture, please? LOL!

Sure, most definitely, Harpgal, I would be delighted to share a picture, and also, I would be most delighted if "someone" braided my hair too!:flowers:

(My apologies to Jason, for hi-jacking your thread!:rollin:)

Jaime
April 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well you do have an exceptional braid, Jason. I agree that it's surprising that you don't get more compliments. I'm really happy that you had that experience. :)I think he had a good teacher. ;)

8) Jim

Druid of Alba
April 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Congratulations! You have really nice hair, and I LOVE the colour! :)

Amoretti
April 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
That must have been wonderful to hear!!

LisaButz2001
April 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Actually, that woman sounds like me. I cannot braid w/out totally tangling up my hair, so whenever I get a trim I have it french braided for about $12-15 USD. My room mate will do an ordinary 3 stand braid for me other times.

EdG
April 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Jason, you are very skilled when it comes to braids. :cheese:
Ed

Moezland
April 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I think he had a good teacher. ;)

8) Jim

ITA:agree:

Jason, I know that had to feel wonderful - nothing like a nice hair compliment to make a day feel real special:agree:.

jojo
April 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
yay thats great! i think the world would be a happier place, if people made compliments more often!

sahiba
April 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I can imagine your excitement at the compliment. Hope you keep getting them.

Jason
April 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I appreciate all the kind replies.:flowers:

Thank you Sheliaann1969, paper, frannyg:inlove:, AprilElf, squiggyflop, wolf girl, Xandergrammy, updoprince, Curlsgirl, khyricat,
DavidN (can't wait to see your hair braided whether by you or someone else special:)),
Gumball (your braids rock!),
Lamb (I know! For instance, I think frannyg could make megabucks!:D),
capelli lunghi, Lizbot, 1nuitblanche, Aine, almudena (I have a lot of braids in my photo album),
harpgal (perhaps the rope braid - I still can't do French braids but good idea!:)),
TammySue, Jaime (yes, I certainly did have the best teacher - I just never completed the course!!)
Druid of Alba, Amoretti, LisaButz2001, EdG, Moezland, jojo, and sahiba.

So this post isn't without a photo, here is an example of frannyg's handiwork:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/EverLonging/012108-1b.jpg

wolf girl
April 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
You both look great!!! :cheese: