PDA

View Full Version : Hair sticks damaging my hair

Nypsy
June 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Whenever I put a hair stick into my hair, I hear my hair snap a lot. It isn't snagging on anything, and my hair sticks are completely smooth. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is my hair just very fragile?

hellkitty
June 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know, but maybe it's the hairstick? The ones I make myself are wooden, but steel-wool smoothed and even then I lacquer them so they don't catch hairs. Some plastic ones may have 'seams' that also catch the hair. Some sticks might have ends too blunt to work through your hair--I find I need a rounded point--sharp points do catch my hair! Ouchie!

So, first, I'd eliminate the hairstick itself as a problem before I started blaming my hair.

HK

PhillyGirl1978@
June 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I would certainly like to know this too. I use hair sticks almost exclusively so if they are damaging I'd want to know. I make them myself with chopsticks from chinese food. I sand them down with a nail file and paint them with nail polish.

Personally though I can only think they could possibly be damaging if the style you were using them to hold up was too tight.

I'd love to hear what everybody else thinks though!

spidermom
June 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'd blame the hairsticks, too. If you feel the slightest bit of resistance as you slide it in, you should wiggle and/or twist it a bit so that you're not pushing against one or more hairs.

The only hair stick that has ever snapped hairs on me was my cheap plastic one. I can feel that it has a seam.

Nypsy
June 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
There are no seams on the hair sticks at all and the ends aren't blunt nor too sharp. I really have no idea :(

JamieLeigh
June 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I agree with Spidermom. I also heard snapping the first couple of times I slid sticks in. Since I've started twisting them in instead of shoving them right through, they just slide right through without breakage at all. :)

Redheaded Raven
June 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'd blame the hairsticks, too. If you feel the slightest bit of resistance as you slide it in, you should wiggle and/or twist it a bit so that you're not pushing against one or more hairs.

The only hair stick that has ever snapped hairs on me was my cheap plastic one. I can feel that it has a seam.

I agree with Spidermom gently wiggle it in, it works for me hth