PDA

View Full Version : Your hair care routine with cones

Myrddin
April 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hi everybody!

We already have the discussions if cones work for your hair or not. For a short time I´m back on cones, though at the moment I have no idea which routine with cones is best for me. Sure, I will find out for myself.

Nonetheless I´m interested how do you use them? Just as a leave-in? Or s&c or maybe CO? Or deep treatments?

I´m very eager to hear from you!

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I don't recommend it with only CO routine, unless the cones are soluble within water or the conditioner itself. Depending on what the cones are you will probably have to use shampoo on a somewhat regular basis.

mommy101405
April 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I just tried CWC for the first time this morning. Its not totally dry yet but from how it feels I am already in love. Plus I put a little leave in on as well.

Loops
April 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hiya -

I use a rinse-out that has bis-aminopropyl dimethicone in it for my wash after oiling the ends. Sometimes I alternate this with a cone-free to wash. I then either use a leave-in with amodimethicone, or my kerastase serum that has shea and palm oil in it. Sometimes I do a deep treat with some mud mask. Sometimes I mix cone-free condish with vinegar and do a rinse with that. Sometimes I do the mud mask and spray vinegar on my hair whilst it is working.

About once a week I use my baking soda conditioner concoction to wash with - sometimes it is less than once a week. If I go swimming I might use it after this.

Even if I wasn't using cones to do CO, I would still have to clarify once a week as I seem to get build-up from all conditioners, cones or no cones. I have very fine hair though.

Right now I am thinking of trying out a new soap-based shampoo once a week or whenever my hair starts acting up, but I'll probably end up going back to bs. Bs makes my hair really silky, as do certain cones. I have ordered a shea butter soap shampoo and also a new Weleda shampoo that has cocoglucoside in it. Sometimes I like to work up a good lather - just for aesthetics.

Loops

Tapioca
April 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I S&C every day with Garnier Fructis, and my leave in is a homemade concotion including Infusium. To counteract build-up, I wash once a week with Suave daily clarifying.

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I CO 5 days a week. And the conditioners are mostly coneful. I always use a coneful conditioner after I shampoo on the 6th day. And I use coneful conidtioners in my deep treatments, too. My hair loves cones.

akurah
April 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone is my favorite and least problematic cone. I've had varying degrees of success (or lack thereof) with the rest. I dunno how that helps any, but there ya go.

mugglemomof3
April 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm almost always on a cone-laden routine. The key is clarifying from time to time (in my opinion, that is!).

I CO. I use different conditioners with different types of cones in them.

I also use cone-laden leave-ins almost every day.

When I decide my hair is acting strange, I clarify with a baking soda rinse and then a deep-treatment (like a least two hours) of honey mixed with my favorite non-cone conditioner (Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm).

Sometimes I CO with a cone-free conditioner for awhile, but sometimes I jump right back into my favorite happycone ones!

Good luck with finding out what works for you. :cheer:

Sapphire'sWings
April 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I wash my hair whenever I need to. I shampoo and condition. Because of my scalp condition I prefer to rinse and repeat the shampoo. After my hair dries, I like to oil. If my hair is still frizzy due to the weather or whatever, I use some cone conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle. I just use a very small amount of conditioner and fill the rest of the spray bottle (a small bottle) with water.

I do not use other coney leave ins you can buy because they make my hair greasy and sticky.

I do baking soda mixed with shampoo washes when needed. When needed, I also deep treat (which may be something coney or not).

Phalaenopsis
April 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I use them in everything and I don't look at which cone it is or something. I just look at what a hairproduct does for me.

ChloeDharma
April 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I used to CO with cone-filled conditioners.....but i also did vinegar rinses so maybe that's how i got away with it.
I found when my hair was fried that anything cone free just didn't work and i'd get tons of breakage trying to detangle.
I sometimes will still use a cone conditioner....but very rarely.

Myrddin
April 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hey!

Great that so many of you have already answered. Very interesting. Gotta read it all again.

It´s interesting that here are quite a few people who do fine with a very heavy cone routine.

The past months I have been strictly on organic hair care (s&c or shampoo bars) and I got more breakage than usual. So I felt inspired by LHC to try cones again. I bought myself a leave-in with cones and I still have to learn how to use it properly. ;-) I also bought a conditioner from Loreal which contains like my leave-in amodimethicone. I used it just once but my hair was awesome and moisturized till the next wash. At least it felt this way.

It´s strange. I have been anti-cones for more than the last two years that it´s a bit difficult to go back on them. Kind of a psychological problem, so I´m quite afraid that cones might dry my hair. Though even with a none cone or even organic routine my hair was on the drier side. Decreasing wash frequencies and oiling helped though.

I thought in case I want to use cones on a steady basis I´d like to clarify every 5th wash and follow with a deep treatment.

Jeni
April 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm one of those people who uses a lot of cones....ALOT, and I have F, i/ii hair. I CWC, my conditioners have cones and even my shampoo has cones, then I use a leave-in with cones. My hair loves cones. I've been using cones for years, haven't hurt my hair as far as I can tell. I definitely don't have a lot of "body", but then I never do. Without cones my hair is dry, still flat but with lots of tangles and less shine. I have found I don't really need to clarify. I tried a few times, each time my hair isn't happy, and I have to coat it in leave-in. I think I had weird hair though.

Jeni

magicatt
April 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Without cones my hair is dry, still flat but with lots of tangles and less shine. I have found I don't really need to clarify. I tried a few times, each time my hair isn't happy, and I have to coat it in leave-in. I think I had weird hair though.

I've had the same thing with my hair. If I clarify, I wind up with dry, unhappy hair. I've tried every kind of clarifying that I could think of and now I just don't bother. Maybe we both have weird hair. ;)

Jeni
April 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
magicatt- maybe? I bought some clarifying shampoo after I started lurking on this site, but every time I use it my hair just gets mad at me. I kept using it because I kept reading about people needing to if they use cones. Now it had joined all the other products I dont use, under my sink. I should open a drug store...

My skin is kind of the same. I use super moisturising body wash, an in-shower lotion, coconut oil right after my shower and then a thick lotion before bed. My mother says I put too much on, but if i don't my skin is tight and itchy.

I guess it's like people keep saying on here, what works for some people, doesn't work for all.

Jeni

Lizbot
April 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I actually got sucked into that new Herbal Essences long hair line. I know. I know. It's super bad... at least the shampoo isn't too great. I love the conditioner though. Seriously, I want to have the conditioner's children.

Clarifying is so very, very important though.

Jeni
April 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I bought some the of the HE conditioner, my head got very itchy from it. It's too bad, I did like the way my hair felt after I used it. Now I use it as the first C in CWC.

Jeni

maskedrose
April 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I love the conditioner though. Seriously, I want to have the conditioner's children.

Hehehe that's great :)

I've just started introducing cones again, for now only as a leave in. When its damp I put a little bit of coconut oil throughout the length then put the coney leave in over that. In my mind the leave in sort of "seals in" the oil :shrug: At any rate, my hair has never had this much shine and slip - I love it!!