PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping?

Savvyhorsez
June 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if there was a past thread, but how do you sleep with your hair? I tend to toss and turn wildly all night, but I can only stand to sleep with my hair tossed back over my pillow so I'm not sleeping on it.

So where which way do you sleep with your hair?:)

Leisje
June 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm exactly like you are. :) Can't stand to try to pin it up, so mostly I just fling it away from me and try to sleep.

LittleOrca
June 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I sleep with my hair in a satin cap. This keeps it from getting tangled and broken at night. It sometimes looks a little weird, but oh well. My hair journey is worth it. :)

JamieLeigh
June 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Lots of people braid theirs, but I'm afraid of the damage since I'm rough on braids already - and I toss and turn at night. I just sleep with it loose. I'm nearly back at 42", and I haven't had tangle or strangulation issues yet. :D

JamieRose
June 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
pig tail braids for me. :)

LittleOrca
June 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I haven't had .... strangulation issues yet. :D

Lol! That would be horrible to wake up with your hair around your throat. Mine would probably do that and say to me "I need more moisture!!!!! RAWR!!!" :lol:

viking_quest
June 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
In a braid. I used to toss and turn but this seemed to stop it.

Sunshine69
June 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I sleep with my hair loose and tossed over the top of my pillow.

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Loose and tossed. :bow:

AJoifulNoise
June 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Loose and tossed over the pillow mostly. It does creep down around me, but I am so used to scooping it up and throwing it back over the pillow that I don't even wake up while doing it.

Krystyle
June 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I toss it over my pillow. I sweat when I sleep anyway so having hair stuck to my neck will wake me up. When I toss it over my pillow though, it somewhat straightens my bottom length of hair.

MandaMom2Three
June 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I TRY to braid it but alwyas forget and leave it down. I'm just going to buy myself a silk pillowcase and stop fretting :lol:

Torrin Paige
June 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I d o occasionally braid, but usually only when I'm wanting the waves the next day. I pulled my bed out four inches from the wall and slip my hair between the bed and the wall up over my pillow. After having a nightmare about a python choking me and waking up to find my hair wrapped around my neck, I had my hubby remove the headboard and yanked the bed out. :) Everything has been gravy since.

Firefly
June 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Lots of people braid theirs, but I'm afraid of the damage since I'm rough on braids already - and I toss and turn at night. I just sleep with it loose. I'm nearly back at 42", and I haven't had tangle or strangulation issues yet. :D

This is my issue, too. I do currently sleep in a single braid, but I worry that I am causing damage as I'm a toss n' turner, too. I'm not sure what the alternative is! I may try it loose and see how it goes...

Savvyhorsez
June 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
How interesting. I also have had strays come out of rough up a braid if I sleep with one. Looks like we almost all sleep alike!:D

rose_in_bloom
June 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Loose and thrown to the side. Sometimes I french braid it if I want braid waves in the morning.

natt i nord
June 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Oh, maybe someone here has an idea for me. I just don't know what's best.

With braids I get more split ends, I think. Ponytail counted in. I can't sleep with loose hair. My hair seems to have an own life and is always in my way. I just can't sleep with loose hair.
I can sleep with buns, if we say it that way, but it's a bit hard when I lie on my back. If I put the bun onto the top of my head I look like a lion in the next morning, because I don't get the hair to lie flat without any hills. And I'm afraid those 'hills' cause breakage.

So, what's left? At the moment I sleep with a loose ponytail, but that's not really a way... It's mostly in the way too. The best to deal with was a caterpillar ponytail, but there I had again the problem with the split ends. Gnaaah, I am a real problem! :eek:
Tossing over the pillow doesn't work, I move much at night, so that it'll in the way again soon.

bahannas
June 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I wrap mine up in a thin scarf, though it's usually off by morning. :D

desertgirl
June 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
My hair is still pretty short (22") so I do a loose twist and throw it up (like a french twist without a clip). I've tried two loose (no ties, scrunchies or elastics) pig tail braids before, after I oiled my hair; it was nice and cool this way, but undone by morning (I'm a tosser too!).

Maelyssa
June 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
High bun held up with a claw clip or a braid.

Quixii
June 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I just keep it in a ponytail, with the very occasional braid. I couldn't stand to sleep with it in a bun or something else concentrated on my head.
Actually, speaking of strangulation - the other day I woke up with my hair around my neck. xD Loosely, of course, but it did give me a half second fright when I woke up. My friends have long pointed out to me the possibility of [purposely] strangling me with my hair. :p

Kiraela
June 12th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Pretty much exactly what AJoifulNoise said. Loose, tossed, sleep scooping, and all. Sometimes I braid it, when it's a day or two before a wash and it's getting funky, but I always notice more breakage from that.

sagebabies
June 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I wear mine loose and tossed up. If I do a heavy oiling I'll wear it in a braid or high bun for the night.

tarn
June 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I seem to go in stages. At the moment it is loose and draped over the back of my pillow. I used to have it in a loose pony, but that caused too much mess in the morning. I can't seem to sleep with my hair up in a braid, I guess I roll too much. I had a horrible sleep last week trying to henna and cling wrap overnight. I seem best just to leave it all out.

smilinjenn71
June 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I d o occasionally braid, but usually only when I'm wanting the waves the next day. I pulled my bed out four inches from the wall and slip my hair between the bed and the wall up over my pillow. After having a nightmare about a python choking me and waking up to find :Dmy hair wrapped around my neck, I had my hubby remove the headboard and yanked the bed out. :) Everything has been gravy since.
You make me laugh!!:laugh: I watch your vids on YouTube and usually get a giggle there too!:D

Fairlight63
June 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I usually sleep in a nightcap. Throwing my hair over the pillow wouldn't work for me because sometimes my husband will put his arm between the headboard & my pillow & I am sure he would get caught in my hair & pull it so I wear my sleepcap so no pulled hair.

I have also slept in a low braid or high bun but I toss so much that it is almost down by morning.

MoonMaiden90
June 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've been putting my hair in a single braid.

Speckla
June 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I sleep with a satin bonnet on. I can't sleep with loose hair no matter what the length. I toss, turn, flop like a fish, and do stunts in my sleep. My hair would look like tossed salad if I wore it loose.

HappyHair87
June 12th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Satin bonnet:sleep:

Gingevere
June 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I usually sleep my with hair loose in a silk cap from Maverick Wear (http://www.maverickwear.com/). I've tried French braiding, but then I can't sleep on my back. Pigtail braids work better, but I honestly don't wake up to much tangling after wearing it loose as long as it's in a cap.

ilandree
June 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I am in with the loose and tossed over the pillow crew. I have tried braids but they bother me while I sleep. I am a very picky sleeper,lol. I always wake up and put it back if it slips down under me.

Lize
June 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Sometimes loose and sometimes in two braids, on a silky pillowcase.

MuzicalH3rb
June 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Loose! If I put my hair up, my baby hair around my face gets too beat up.

Savvyhorsez
June 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone!:)

slz
June 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Single braid for me - although I know it's not ideal and causes some breakage, but most of the time I will spend my day with the braid I made the night before and slept with, so it must not be *that* bad :D.
Does anybody know if "wraping" a braid into some kind of silky scarf or whatnot would help protect it ?

About being chocked in one's sleep : when my hair was shorter I used to let it loose, untill I once had very scary and realistic nightmares where I would be drowning. I would wake up with hair all over my face, preventing me from breathing properly, having this happen 2 or 3 times made me change for the braiding when sleeping. It was *very* scary.

fraublaukau
June 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
depend son how tied I really am. often I'll put it in a bun, but other times, I'll just let it loose

Jinx2234
June 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I usually sleep with my hair loose tossed over my pillow, but I've been trying to remember to braid it before bed, since my hair seems to tangle less that way.