PDA

View Full Version : A question for those with long hair?

peachy.pudding
April 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I was reading about a lady who had thigh length hair, she had some pictures and her hair was so beautiful. She then said she never wears it down and even wears it up to bed and would never dream of cutting it.

So my question is this, why have long hair if it's mainly in updos, how can you enjoy your hair if you dont wear it down even to bed?

Nat242
April 9th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Some people grow their hair long for spiritual religions, some people grow long hair because they love wearing updos, some just enjoy taking care of it, some just dislike short styles on themselves but keep their hair up for practical reasons, etc.

I wear my hair up to bed (to stop it getting too tangled), and I wear it up most of the time when I'm out of the house.

Maybe she enjoys putting it up, taking care of it, etc. We're all different :shrug:

-- Natalie

tiny_teesha
April 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Maybe with it loose is a beast, like a tangly horrible mess, but she will HAVE to take it out and comb it and re put it in a style for bed and morning- so SHE does enjoy it. No one else has to. She also has to wash it too. So she is getting "time" with her hair.
I wear my hair to bed, and when i'm out i wear it up too, and at home. It is most comfortable. I've only let it down 3-4 times in the past 6 months on special ocasions. It makes it more special and cheerished that way- not to mention more protected so when you finally do let it down- it sparkles :)

Stevy
April 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM
This whole 'why have long hair if you're just going to wear it up' issue has been thoroughly discussed multiple times over at the old site, so if you get snarky responses, Peachy Pudding, that's probably why. ;)

As far as I'm concerned it's her hair and her business. Having one's hair down is not the be-all and end-all of having long hair. Nor is doing updos. Different people 'enjoy' their hair in different ways.

Katze
April 9th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I want long hair so that I can wear it down. However, the longer it gets, the more I realize how hard it can be to have it down all the time. Just now I had to detatch a piece of hair from the button on the back of my turtleneck, as it had become hopelessly tangled. Having never had hair this long, this was a first for me.

I am a very active person and love being outside. Here where I live that means wind, and since I bike every day in every weather, I do have to contain my hair somehow while outdoors and on the bike. Otherwise, I am fighting with tangles for the rest of the day, and the extra handling is not good for my hair.

Many of us see pictures of celebrities with 'long' (as long as my) hair and (often romanticized) scenes from films where the female characters wear their long hair down all the time. Not only is this historically inaccurate for most cultures, but really impractical - who on earth would ride a horse with BSL + hair down?!? We have this unrealistic image of long hair which, when your hair actually gets long in real life, is not possible without a team of stylists following you around all the time.

I hope to get long, thick hair that I can wear down to special occasions or when I feel like it, and to find more updos that I can take down and put up quickly.

Gwaihiril
April 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Agreed! That it can be difficult to wear long hair down all the time, that is. I have midthigh length hair, which means if it's loose, I'm practically guarenteed to sit on it. It also gets caught frequently on my backpack, chairs, desks, door, other people, etc. at school. I wear it half up for concerts and church, but it's getting to the point where even that is difficult to manage. Nevertheless, I wouldn't cut it for the world.

thetokenlady
April 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
How does that saying go? "I am not here to decorate your world." :) I wear my hair long for me (and for my beloved hubby too). I like learning fancy new styles and I like buying pretty hair toys to put in it. I wear it loose so rarely that I get comments from those I know when it's down, and I like that too!

wolf girl
April 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I actually do wear my hair down most of the time. I'm just brushing hip length. I think I'm in the minority around here for those with waist ot longer hair. I like to show mine off! :D :p However, I do bun it for sleeping to keep from getting tangles and if I'm going to be in a situation that I think might damage it. I always keep hair sticks in my purse so I can throw it up quicky if I need to. I don't let it touch my chair at work or the seat in my car. I put it over my shoulder so it hangs in the front. I tell people very quickly not to touch it when they go to "pet" my hair :rant:. As you can tell, I am very picky about keeping it healthy.

lora410
April 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
In society I am considered a long hair, but not so much at LHC. I am brushing BSL and I keep mine up all the time mainly because I haven't excepted wavy wonder yet and also for comfort reasons. I am hoping when it gets longer and has more weight it will lay more normal for me.

Feisty Redhead
April 9th, 2008, 06:32 AM
My hair isn't really long by LHC standards but in my local area it is "very long". I do enjoy wearing my hair down a lot - but I wear it up more and more the longer it gets to help protect it and keep it from getting to be a tangled mess. Plus with my job, up is better in some situations (when working outdoors, mostly) otherwise it just gets in the way. Shorter hair could not be as easily confined and put securely out of my way.

If my hair were shorter again I would not be able to put it up in the up-'dos that I can do now, and I love those up dos. And - the "theory" that shorter hair is easier/faster to take care of and can have more styling options is, for me at least, a total myth that's been busted. When my hair was shorter it took forever, often over an hour, to get it styled in the morning and I needed a lot of products to get it to look half way decent. Now that it's longer I can do far more with it, and it's actually easier to care for and I can style it and be out the door in under 10 minutes.

As has already been mentioned before me "I'm not here to decorate your world" comes to mind. Just because someone else's choice is not what you would choose, does not mean their choice does not make sense for them.

:flower:

paper
April 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I can't wait until my hair gets long so I can wear it up. :)

aisling
April 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Peachy.pudding, grow 10 more inches and then you can come back and ask the same thing ;)

I wear my hair down a lot at home when I'm in front of the computer, read, watch TV, but when I move around more, it's way more practical to wear it up. At work, it's just not advisable or professional to shed long hairs where I work, up it goes. I do like to wear my close to tailbone length hair down, but there is the right place and situation for this, work isn't that and for most everyday tasks, it's easier and better to wear it up. This doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy my hair, I not only enjoy it long, I also enjoy being able to wear it up in different ways with different hairtoys. I think that adds to the fun and enjoyment of long hair.

ilovelonghair
April 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Many of us see pictures of celebrities with 'long' (as long as my) hair and (often romanticized) scenes from films where the female characters wear their long hair down all the time. Not only is this historically inaccurate for most cultures, but really impractical - who on earth would ride a horse with BSL + hair down?!? We have this unrealistic image of long hair which, when your hair actually gets long in real life, is not possible without a team of stylists following you around all the time.

So true! And the hair also stays quite in place while horse riding, fighting, or whatever.

In real life it also gives problems:
Imagine this: you're nicely asleep on the couch and suddenly the doorbell rings. You wake up with a shock, jump up from the couch aaaaaaaaaaaaaand smack you stumble over your own hair! Happened to me.
Swimming is a big preparation: oiling/condishening the hair before going to swim, put it up and make sure no water comes on the bun during swiming.
Or: your hair is loose, you get into the car and ouch you have locked your hair out of the car :p
Going to the toilet is always a mission... you have to twirl your hair around your neck so it doesn't fall into the toilet pot!!!!

Anyway, I think some people are so updo-aholic (like me) they just love to have updo's. They are never boring!

eadwine
April 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I hardly ever wear it down either, last time I did so was.. umm.. almost a year ago!

I might loosen it up for a bit, but after that, up it goes again.

Why let it grow long and never wear down.. I LOVE updos, and I also love the effect it has on people when I DO take it down once in a blue moon *grin*

EdG
April 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm probably the exception to the generalization that long hair must be worn up.

I've never worn my hair up. Ever. Over the years, I've become pretty good at avoiding having my hair get in the way. :cheese:

Yes, it does get tangled so I carefully finger-untangle.
Ed

Carolyn
April 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM
With a lot of short hairdo's you can't put it up or take it down. It's just there. So why have it short? The "why" is a very personal decision for all who grow their hair long, as is the choice of styles for the hair. I don't care to show off my hair to the rest of the world. The only time I am truly comfortable with people looking at my hair is when I've met with other LHC'ers. No one else even comes close to "getting" the long hair mentality. My hair is for me and me alone, whether it's up or down. Even if I never wear it down, I know I have the option to do so. When it was shoulder length layers, I couldn't find an upstyle that worked and I felt like I was really missing something without the "up" option. If someone in my "real life" would ask me why I didn't wear it down more and why have it long if it's always up, I'd be asking them why they were asking me that question. Do they want to look at my hair? Is that person simply a connoisseur of long hair or are they some kind of a hair perv? Is my hair their eye candy? In the end it's my hair and it's for me. It's not for my husband, or my friends, or for the general public. It's just for me. I don't really feel anyone should have to justify their choice of hair style or length. The woman who is mentioned in the OP sounds like she has her reasons for keeping her hair long as she says she won't cut it. We can only speculate as to what those reasons might be and I imagine those reasons would be quite varied. Maybe she just likes the look and/or feel of long hair worn up :)

wolf girl
April 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm probably the exception to the generalization that long hair must be worn up.

I've never worn my hair up. Ever. Over the years, I've become pretty good at avoiding having my hair get in the way. :cheese:

Yes, it does get tangled so I carefully finger-untangle.
Ed

I guess we are in the minority.... Yours is A LOT longer than mine though but I'm catching up!! :D

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I wear mine up to protect it, and because it tends to fall forward into my face during everyday tasks. I like how it looks when I have it loose, and I'm trying to wear it loose a bit more often, but for practical reasons my hair has to be back most of the time. Furthermore, it's quite fine and fairly fragile -- if I wore it like EdG does, I'd get much more damage than he experiences simply because the quality of my hair is different.

So for me, it's not that I'm addicted to updos, it's that I like having it long for the occasions when I do let it go. In a world with no hair elastics, strings, or sticks, I would probably shave it every few months, because in every day life, my hair would be a liability.

Finoriel
April 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
First of all I think itīs mainly a matter of taste.

For you the question is:
- why have long hair if it's mainly in updos?
- how can you enjoy your hair if you donīt wear it down even to bed?
Which implies that updos for you mean to somehow "hide" your hair. You prefer your hair down because you like it better that way.

My question would be:
- why have long hair if you only want to wear it down?
- how can you enjoy your hair if it looks the same every day?
Because for me having long hair means to wear it in another updo every day, which works best at longer length. Down it looks almost the same every time, somehow boring (for me) and less fun than exotic styles, in my opinion.
:twocents:
So the coin has always two sides, people are different so everyone has other preferences.

The other point, beside the visual one, is: If you have very long hair it is almost impossible to wear it down all the time, in every situation. Too much mechanical damage, tangling, really unhandy and even dangerous (drilling machines or cycling comes to my mind). Itīs utopian to think anyone can walk around with healty unknotted tight-length-hair, down, 7 days a week, summer and winter, while sleeping, working, sport, windy weather, gardening etc.
So if you come to certain lenght it just gets plain necessary to wear updos or braids.

ETA: Well, EdG seems to be one of the few exceptions ;)

atlantaz3
April 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Why does someone with short hair change their hair style? Some days they may push it back with a head band, goop it up with product or put a scarf over it. I don't think just because you have long hair you have to wear it down - there are so many beautiful ways to wear it up and toys to adorn it with. Why does it have to be an issue if someone with really long hair wants to wear their hair up all the time? (sorry not trying to be snarky)

Ursula
April 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Why have long hair if you're not going to wear it up?

If I wanted my hair loose all of the time, it would be short - short-haired people have no choice but to wear their hair loose.

How can you enjoy your hair if it is getting in your face all the time, and tangling, and you have to take more than a minute to style it in the morning, etc.? I can't imagine going through the trouble of dealing with loose hair all the time. That's why it is long, and up.

The proper question is "Why have long hair, if you're going to wear it down all the time as you would have to if it was short?"

spidermom
April 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I like wearing my hair up most of the time because few people have any idea how long it is. I like wearing it up or braided in bed to keep it from tangling/knotting. When it's time to take it down and comb it out, I really enjoy it. I also enjoy the surprise when a friend sees how long it is.

doodlesmart
April 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Many of us see pictures of celebrities with 'long' (as long as my) hair and (often romanticized) scenes from films where the female characters wear their long hair down all the time. Not only is this historically inaccurate for most cultures, but really impractical - who on earth would ride a horse with BSL + hair down?!?

Not me...but I have always wanted to try it. Just once. :magic:

khyricat
April 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
for me, length is a benefit for me and DH.. I might OCCASIONALLY wear it down out, but mostly its for myself.. and for my DH.. on the other hand, SHORT hair is NEVER going to be back in my mind as my hair looks awful short, and is thin, I look better with updos than wiht short hair or long hair down.. if I do wear it down, then I normally wear it in a half up, not all down, though it shows off the length, it protects it from my ever changing glasses and makes me look better.. but my hair is so thin, that I dont' like the appearance down and the more length=fuller updos and better looking updos..

Amie

angelthadiva
April 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I like the look of my hair in updos and I like the look of it down, and I like having the option of doing either one...If that's what I choose to do.

That said, prior to joining LHC, I wore my hair down a lot, because I felt like my ability to do updos were limited...Since joining, I've found many new styles I've been able to master. I've found the more I keep my hair up, the less tangly it gets, the more protected it is and I'm going through a growth spurt...I believe it's from a combination of the fore mentioned.

Delenn
April 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I do both. Today it's down, tomorrow... who knows? Depends on my mood.

Some people notice my hair more when it's up and they always ask "why do you wear it up all the time?" Uh... I don't. You just don't seem to notice on the days when it's down.

Irishred
April 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have below classic length. I love to wear it down but rarely do for practical reasons. When I do it is special (or I have a migraine). Practically though, I have 4 kids (youngest is 1yo), live on a farm, care for an orphaned calf, have a garden, working on fixing up the old farm house we live in and well, it is just better for my hair to be up or braided.

I like the neat styles I can do... thinking of which, I think I'll go do some heidi braids today.

ETA: I usually braid for bed if one of the kids is in there with us. I like to bear it loose to bed but with the kids it gets trapped to often.

Chromis
April 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I have long hair because:

I can.
I look like Harry Potter with short hair. My cowlicks can be tamed by no known substance.
It's more fun.
Hair toys are a great accessory to balance not having earrings.
Variety.

Yes, I wear it up most of the time.

socks
April 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Many of us see pictures of celebrities with 'long' (as long as my) hair and (often romanticized) scenes from films where the female characters wear their long hair down all the time. Not only is this historically inaccurate for most cultures, but really impractical - who on earth would ride a horse with BSL + hair down?!?

*raises hand* :o I actually used to do that when my hair was at about classic length, but I'll admit that braids were much more convenient. Still, you learn pretty quickly how to keep your hair from getting caught on anything.

At about mid-thigh, I learned how to do my 20 second updo and I started wearing my hair up all the time. It is more convienient and is actually more flattering to my face shape, so I stuck with it. And, as many others have said, it keeps my hair healthier and people can't keep their hands and eyes off of my hair on the rare occasions when I do let it down. :D

naomimcc
April 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I wear my tailbone length hair up because:
1. I have a new baby. 'nuff said. LOL
2. It's still winter here and up in the north it is dry dry dry. And staticky. So I oil it and put it up
3. I love doing updo's :D
4. I wear it up so much that when I do wear it down I get many comments - which I love hearing.
5. Its just healthier that way. :P

And I wear it up to bed so I don't get tangled. Or smothered :P

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I go through phases, and I wear my classic length hair down a lot, and I wear it up a lot. It really depends what I'm doing and what my mood is.

Long hair in an updo IS A STYLE (sorry to shout), but I'm not sure people realize this. Just as long even hair (not heavily layered it what I mean), is a style. You can do very different styles with different lengths--at shoulder length to waist I wore a French Twist and variations on that, at waist to tailbone I wore figure 8s and infinity buns, and now at classic I'm exploring knot buns and totally new styles. So, updos are really an art unto themselves, and I'm looking forward to having a classic length braid! :D

Tapioca
April 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
To me, having my hair completely loose is yet another hairstyle in my repertoire. (I'm sure I slaughtered the spelling there.)
When my hair was short, I really only had two options. With barettes and without. With long hair, I know four buns, three braids, two or three twists, and countless combinations of the above as half-ups, as well as wearing it loose.

OR Cowgirl
April 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
My hair was pretty short about 12 years ago. DS12 was quite the hair puller. It took forever to do everyday!! Washing, blowdrying, styling products, curling irons, etc. Just to make it acceptable to walk out the door. We're talking 30 to 60 minutes per day! Depending on hair cooperation.

Now I can do my hair in 5 minutes or less! And instead of washing every day, now I wash once or twice a week! And I do love hairtoys!! I'm an ebay addict :rolleyes: I'll never go back to short hair again if I can help it!!

Guenever
April 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
It's been said several times already in this thread: I grow my hair to make myself happy -- it's kind of my own thing.. the private aspect of it is very important to me, so when I take down my bun in the evening or wash it, it's "me"-time.. and I get to enjoy the length..

Also, after 1½ years with nothing but updos I almost feel naked when I finally wear it down :P Exposed... silly, I know, but that's the way it is :) also - I can't stand hairs tickling ny neck..

salamander
April 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I feel all backwards reading this thread! I wore my hair up all the time when it was what I thought of as short (~25"). I actually started wearing it up because it was so short. I couldn't stand the feeling of my hair only brushing my shoulder blades, or falling over my shoulder when I leaned forward. It was kind of a nice surprise when that made it grow! Now that my hair's at a length I'm comfortable with, I've been wearing it down most of the time again.

I think part of it is that I've had long hair all my life. I automatically keep my hair from getting caught in car doors on windy days the same way I automatically keep from stepping on long coats when walking up the stairs. It isn't an inconvenience, it's normal. Updos seem strange and novel to me. I'm sure I'll keep it up a lot more if I ever decide to grow it out beyond classic. It's one thing keeping waist length hair from getting caught on things; thigh length would be a whole different ballgame!

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Why wear your hair short if you can never wear it up? :lol:

That aside. I prefer wearing my hair up to keep it safe and to keep me safe. And also to keep it out of my way. It's inching past waist now and it's slippery. Which means it's everywhere when I'm trying to do things. When I wear it down it gets caught in doors, windows, food, knobs, and handles. Not to mention I sit on it (when I lean a little), get it caught under my hands (when getting up), and finds it's way into my mouth.

That said, I do wear it down occasionally, but it's a very concious choice and I have to be in a certain frame of mine- an observant frame of mine.... To keep up with it!

My guess is that most people who wear their hair up "all the time" just want to go about life and not have it be all about their hair.

Sidani
April 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I suppose I am really in the minority here. I wear my classic length hair down almost all the time. I will braid it if I'm working around the house or outside (or oiling it) just to get it out of the way, but I hardly ever wear it up.

I've figured out that I wear my hair long for me. I like showing it off and the attention it brings. It makes me feel very feminine and pretty. When I first met my hubby, my hair was only a little over an inch long (01/98) (you could actually see my scalp lol). But that was when I was riding my motorcycle all the time and hated worrying with my hair and the helmet. "Helmet head" is not an attractive look for me. :p

This site has really opened me up to the use of hair toys, but I find myself wanting to let my hair down if we're going out anywhere.

heidi w.
April 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Whenever I wear my hair down (beyond knee length), it always causes a stir and conversations, not to mention terrible tangles (fine hair tangles at the smallest rustling of movement).

When I am at work, I don't want my hair to be a discussion point. I'm there to work, not chat about hair and dismiss myself to detangle yet again.

When I'm working in the yard, I do not need weeds, grass, leaves, and the like in my hair and my hair dragging on the ground. In tasks involving motors, such as lawn mowing, there's no need to put myself at risk to be scalped should my hair be caught up in the motor.

If it's windy, my hair billows out feet in front, behind and around me, then lands and is a tangled fishnet.

Hair rubbing against clothing, even if it's silky smooth fabric, I still get tangles.

My hair is for me, for my reasons, and I consider it a private matter and in many social instances doesn't need to be discussed. I like having beautiful hair when it is down on rare occasions, so a big part of creating that beauty is keeping it up and out of harm's way and not requiring constant detangling throughout the day.

My biggest reason for wearing it up and hidden, so-to-speak (although a good hair officionado knows how to identify how much hair IS in an updo), most of the time is privacy. I can travel incognito and without interruption on my daily errands: no chatting in the coffee shop, no grocery store sidelines, no sidewalk pit stops, none of that.

I DO wear it down, but that is saved for long hair meetings (and even then it will be up), privacy of my home, and special occasions.

Uber long hair isn't for everyone.

My joy is in knowing it's as healthy and as beautiful as is possible. I don't need to advertise that.

heidi w.

capelli lunghi
April 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Another way to look at it is.. You are protecting it while wearing it up, so when you DO have it down and *show it off*, it will look well cared for and loved. If you had something very special that you only want to share with people, do you toss that object here and there and let it get damaged? Or do you kept it safely stored until you are ready to share it? IIRC, Flaxen gave the illustration of a flag.. A flag is loose and free every day.. have you seen flags that are past their prime?.. They have a LOT of wear and tear.. ripped and torn edges.

Maybe she wears it up so when she DOES wear it down.. it is in a better condition than if it was free all the time!

willowcandra
April 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Mine is always up. I love how it looks...but the odd times I wear it down it's like wow! You have the hassle free shorter style but with all that gorgeouse hair when you bwant to bring out the big guns.

Kirin
April 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Peachy - To me, your question is quite natural for someone who is starting on the road to long hair. Though I never asked or posted the question myself, I've thought it many times. Someone embarking on growing long romantic feminine lush locks always asks "why never have it down, isn't that missing some point?".

Then once the hair gets to growing, these questions started to answer themselves on their own, hence, why I never had to actually ask.

Personal Preference, possible religeous reasons, protection, and a *host* of reasons that could be a mile long.

The question though isnt asked as "you should wear your hair down if your growing it because ....." it is just "why grow it and never keep it down?".

I like my hair up, and down, depends on the circumstances. Granted I'm not phenomenally long, just past shoulders right now. I put it up to do housework and laundry, or if i'm driving in the car with the windows open (its spring now so thats happening) and i dont want it whipped all over the place. I keep it down when i can (at least so far) because i Love love love the way it feels, its very sensual to me (not to mention the hubby!).

But I bet a trillion bucks when its long enough to get caught in the dishwasher door, drag in the toilet while i'm scrubbin, or i catch it rolling up my window in the car, it might be up a whole lot more often!

harpgal
April 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
So my question is this, why have long hair if it's mainly in updos, how can you enjoy your hair if you dont wear it down even to bed?peachy, when you get to thigh length, you will find all of this out. Until then, it is a great mystery. ;)

Euphony
April 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think my hair is short to average for LHC, but IRL it's pretty long. I always had the question too 'why have long hair if it's always worn up?'. I love my hair, it looks awesome down...but one reason it does look awesome down is because of the updos I do, it protects it. I do however wear my hair down (or in a half-up) every other day or so. I had been putting my hair up much more often before I read a comment made by Accolady on TBB, she recently cut her thigh (or was it knee) length hair to waist. She said one thing she wants to make sure to do on this new growing journey is to wear it down and enjoy it more.

Well that hit me! I enjoy my hair down, I love the way it feels, I love the look of my hair. So I decided I didn't want to be putting it up all the time, I was going to enjoy it - if that means the ends get thinner and require trimming more often then so be it, I'll still be enjoying my hair.

But on the flip side, I keep probably 7 or 8 hair sticks in my purse at any one given time, there's usually 2 Ficcares if not 3 in there keeping the sticks company, then I have a couple of barrettes in there too. I keep those there because then they are easily accessible whenever I need them. My A/C in my Bronco no longer works, so the windows get rolled down - but not before my hair goes up. Some days I seem to be neverendingly getting my hair caught under my arms. Or I'm in a hurry and don't want to be bothered with getting my hair out of my way. Or I go to the store or work or something and notice the trees are swaying, hair goes up before I open the door.

I asked the question to myself when my hair was bsl, once past bsl then I understood - now brushing hips I REALLY understand :grin:

EdG
April 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
My biggest reason for wearing it up and hidden, so-to-speak (although a good hair officionado knows how to identify how much hair IS in an updo), most of the time is privacy. I can travel incognito and without interruption on my daily errands: no chatting in the coffee shop, no grocery store sidelines, no sidewalk pit stops, none of that.Good point. That's what I miss most: the ability to go out in public and not attract attention. It's not fun to have those things happen on a daily basis. :ohmy:

I will eventually figure out how to do an updo. Or at least tie up my hair.
Ed

Alaskanheart
April 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I understand where the OP is coming from on this a bit.I dont care about what other people do with their hair long ,short, chemically altered etc..., But I have questioned myself since I started growing my hair. I wonder if when it gets long how often I will be able to wear it down, if I will ever learn to do a decent updo so its not always in a boring flat ponytail (which is unflatering to my face).

But I also think back to when I decided to grow it. It was short, and damaged, took an hour to style, and it wasnt long, which is what I want.

I already wear it up most of the time as it is because I dont wash as often so it looks a bit oily and lank by the 3rd day. Also it is fine and tangles very fast.Also I want to protect it so that when it is long it looks healthier, and because I have alot of fragile colored hair left to grow out, and I dont want the damage to work its way up to my virgin hair.

But I think the trade off is a good and a healthy choice.

For example: Short hair on me = Heat damage, too much time styling, loss of my individuality, a need to keep up the style, no motivation to stop coloring.but capability to always wear it down, and look styled.

Long hair on me = no heat damage, little time styling, my individuality and acceptance of my natural appearance, no need to keep up the style or trends, motivation to take better care of it, motivation to grow out my virgin hair.But loss of always keeping it down, and loss of looking styled.

I guess it just depends on the individual.Some grow for reasons other that esthetics, and thats cool too.

Sarahmoon
April 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Why wouldn't I be able to enjoy my hair if it's in updos or braids?

I don't understand why so many people seem to think long hair is only nice when it's down.
You can't do nice updos and braids with short or layered hair anyway.

Euphony
April 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Why wouldn't I be able to enjoy my hair if it's in updos or braids?

I don't understand why so many people seem to think long hair is only nice when it's down.
You can't do nice updos and braids with short or layered hair anyway.
I should clarify my post - I enjoy my hair more when it's down, others may enjoy their hair up.

Nightshade
April 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
My biggest reason for wearing it up and hidden, so-to-speak (although a good hair officionado knows how to identify how much hair IS in an updo),

I love seeing an awesome updo and then trying to figure out how long the person's hair would be down :D

While I do wear my hair up every day at work (it's considered more professional, and I do a lot of industrial instruction, so there it's also a safety issue), however, I grew my hair long because I love how it looks down.

That said, it's up 90% of the time. At work, at home when I'm on the puter (hate it getting caught and rubbed between my back and the back of my chair), when I'm cleaning, making sticks (glue and epoxy and Dremels oh my!), and when sleeping (otherwise I have a cat nested in it in the morning)

That other 10% though, I cherish. If I go out shopping or out with my fiance it is always down. People stare, there are compliments, and you know what? I LIKE IT :p

Starr
April 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time because it's a personal preference, that's all. Doing day to day things (taking care of my daughter, gardening, cooking, exercising, etc) it's not really practical to my lifestyle to wear it down. When I go out in public I keep it up because I don't like it when people invite themselves to touch my hair without my permission (it happens more than you think). It's an added bonus for me, on the few occasions that I do wear it down, to hear all the nice compliments about it's length, health and condition.

Islandgrrl
April 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
My hair is approaching BSL for the 2nd or 3rd (I forget) time in my life. Right now I've committed to wearing my hair up for a year. Why? Mostly for the convenience of it while it gets from point A(wkward) to point B(etter). I most definitely LOVE wearing my hair down. Although my hair is considered long(ish) by most, I'm not at a point where I personally consider it to be long. I'll start considering it long when it hits waist. For now, it stays up and protected so that when it gets where I'm comfortable with it, it'll look rockin' good down.

When my hair was still knee length, I still wore it up often - let's face it - knee length hair gets in the way pretty easily. It gets caught on things and in things. It falls in places you really don't want it (think toilet here). It's a natural playtoy for small children, dogs & cats. And it attracts a LOT of attention. So for "everyday life" I wore it up to keep it out of the way and to keep it safe and keep me sort of in disguise. When I went out with DH or on special occasions The Hair came down. And truly it attracted a LOT of attention - some welcome, a lot not.

I don't have long hair with the intention of being the center of attention. I grow my hair long because I love it that way. I love the way it makes me feel and I love the way it makes me look. Both when up and when down. I couldn't possibly care less about what anyone else thinks of my hair (with the exception of DH who, himself, believes that it's MY hair to do with what I please).

Lady Godiva
April 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
There does seem to be a notion perpetuated by mainstream salons and fashion magazines that hair must be styled only with chemical or mechanical means and left down in order for it to make sense or pass muster as a real hair style. It's a very modern concept, since only 100 years ago, updos of all sorts were considered normative styles then. Funny about that. :wink:

Nightshade
April 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
There does seem to be a notion perpetuated by mainstream salons and fashion magazines that hair must be styled only with chemical or mechanical means and left down in order for it to make sense or pass muster as a real hair style. It's a very modern concept, since only 100 years ago, updos of all sorts were considered normative styles then. Funny about that. :wink:

To make a rather off-topic comparison, it's like diamond engagement rings. 100 years ago the most common stone was actually a sapphire, but you have anything else now and you're OBVIOUSLY either poor or a complete social leper.

YAY :cheer: I'm a social leper! :cheer:

sapphire-o
April 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well I like to wear my hair down and I like it up, too. It's always been a rather even split. My goal is to grow it as long as possible and still be able to wear it down any day. (Though I don't have issues with tangles. If my hair tangles easily it might be more like a need rather than a choice.) It's like clothes. Say when it's really warm we don't have to wear clothes, but most people do, for protection, modesty and fashion. Same for the hair.

Shirlpunzel
April 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
to Lady Godiva:
funny how that notion they perpetuate makes them so much money too ;)

and Nightshade, yay for all social lepers! whatever would those poor normal people have to talk about without people like us? :P

Nightshade
April 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM
and Nightshade, yay for all social lepers! whatever would those poor normal people have to talk about without people like us? :P

Probably whatever was on TV last night :rolleyes:

Xanthippe
April 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
So my question is this, why have long hair if it's mainly in updos, how can you enjoy your hair if you dont wear it down even to bed?

I like updos. I can do more updos if I have longer hair.

I like wearing my hair down. I really don't like the way my hair looked down when it was shorter than waist. The ends would stick out because of the natural curve in my back.

Therefore, I grow my hair longer. :D I'm sure there's a happy medium, but I suspect that my terminal length will be reached before I decide my hair is too long to wear down.

PhillyGirl1978@
April 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I guess we are in the minority.... Yours is A LOT longer than mine though but I'm catching up!! :D

I just remembered that I had an account her, so I'm kinda new...again!

I love wearing my hair down, granted it's not that long yet and I think I can make it look better when it's longer but I am hoping to be able to still wear it down when it gets real long. it's just so beautiful and I would like to show it off.

intothemist1999
April 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Peachy.pudding, grow 10 more inches and then you can come back and ask the same thing ;)

I wear my hair down a lot at home when I'm in front of the computer, read, watch TV, but when I move around more, it's way more practical to wear it up. At work, it's just not advisable or professional to shed long hairs where I work, up it goes. I do like to wear my close to tailbone length hair down, but there is the right place and situation for this, work isn't that and for most everyday tasks, it's easier and better to wear it up. This doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy my hair, I not only enjoy it long, I also enjoy being able to wear it up in different ways with different hairtoys. I think that adds to the fun and enjoyment of long hair.

I agree with everything there!

Peachy Pudding, I started to wear my hair up alot when it hit around 27". At that length it was getting caught in too much stuff and I was always leaning on it and it was having a real fight with the seatbelt! I think it was getting pretty beat up.

I usually wear it down at work, and maybe half-n-half at home. I always wear it up in the car. I need to get more comfortable with up-do's -- because I have fine, fly-away hair, it's starting to look a bit skraggly (is that a word?) when down and I don't think continuing to wear it down is the best 'do for my workplace.

However, I do like to have my down best, and it's most comfortable that way.

aisling
April 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
To make a rather off-topic comparison, it's like diamond engagement rings. 100 years ago the most common stone was actually a sapphire, but you have anything else now and you're OBVIOUSLY either poor or a complete social leper.

Or not American :lol: It's not a rule here yet that you have to have diamonds on your engagement rings, sadly, it's probably coming more and more.

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
This whole 'why have long hair if you're just going to wear it up' issue has been thoroughly discussed multiple times over at the old site, so if you get snarky responses, Peachy Pudding, that's probably why.

Then again, a gazillion things get discussed here multiple times :D

We'll always have newbies who need to know, oldbies who have new questions, and we're all here to help and to learn.:)