PDA

View Full Version : Layers?

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have one random layer kinda midway down the length of my hair; the last time I had my hair cut professionally back in January she cut the layer because I was complaining that the hair on top of my head was so flat and I couldn't get height to it.

Now that I'm paying attention to my hair after visiting this forum and trying to gain some length the layer is bothering me...

Should I get some layers cut between the top layer and the bottom of my hair? Should I let the top layer catch up to the bottom? I am so clueless when it comes to this stuff but I'm learning!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/layer.jpg

Thank you in advance!!!

spidermom
June 8th, 2009, 10:33 PM
That is one of the oddest layerings I have ever seen. It doesn't look like you have enough thickness in your ends to spare for more layering, so I'd leave well enough alone if it were me; just let it grow out, maybe nip the tips off every now and then if it gets dry and split.

kam984420
June 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
; just let it grow out,

I agree just let it grow out.:cheese:

Cereus
June 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I also would just let it grow like it is. My hair has layers like that in it. I've very slowly been trimming the bottom. Someday(?) my layers will be gone.

RocketDog
June 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
If it were me, I'd wear my hair up for a few months and do my best to ignore it, then bite the bullet and trim that long layer up closer to the shorter bits.

Carolyn
June 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I'd leave it alone and slowly trim off the bottom. And don't do back to that stylist. I agree with Spidermom. That's a very odd way to layer hair. Your layer is long enough to pull back into a ponytail or updo so hopefully it won't bother you too much.

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
thank you all for the replies!

When she originally cut it my hair was shorter and it blended better.... (left-hand pic on my signature...which isn't showing up for me right now but maybe you all can see it)

now that it's growing the layer does look quite odd.

I shall let it catch up!

Nevermore
June 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Another vote for growing it out. Possibly without even trimming to bring the longer layer closer to the short one-my result-of-short-cut layers grew even with the bottom of my hair, without any real help. I did trim for awhile, just for the hemline shape, but mostly the hairs just lined themselves up *shrugs*.

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
That is one of the oddest layerings I have ever seen. It doesn't look like you have enough thickness in your ends to spare for more layering, so I'd leave well enough alone if it were me; just let it grow out, maybe nip the tips off every now and then if it gets dry and split.

I totally agree! I don't really know what your stylist was thinking :crazyq:. Another vote for growing it out :)

ETA: I do microtrims on my layers as well, I just kind of do random horizontal parts to my hair and nip off the ends of everything, hopefully I'm getting most of the layer ends and not making it look too awful form behind.....but I'm a wavy so I can get away with stuff like that ;)