PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide if I should get layers

kimberlily
June 8th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I rarely post on this part of the board since I've gotten into a routine I like and don't really think much about my hair anymore :p

I'm starting to consider layers though. My hair is waist length, and 2a/2b, iii thickness. I henna. And I hate updos, because no matter what I do, they hurt my scalp. I have no layers now, and wearing my hair down just makes me think "OMG, I have way too much hair!"

Since I'm really enjoying wearing it down more these days, I'm seriously considering getting layers. Do any other wavies here have chunky layers? I don't want any short layers - nothing shorter than chin length, really, if that. I just want to bring my waves back and feel less like I HAVE TO wear my hair up all the time. Braids don't work too well for me either, though they've become my go-to hairstyle these days since updos hurt my head.

I am not really worried about the usual problems associated with layers not fitting into an updo either, and my braids are already a bit messy since I do have plenty of shorter hairs that stick out already :)

This is a pic from March, on a "good wave day" ;)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/03172009.jpg

Most of the time, my hair looks more like this:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/shorter.jpg
Feedback (and pictures with examples) would be appreciated :D

feralnature
June 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Your hair reminds me of my daughter's. Her's is thick and heavy, unlike mine. She gets hers cut in a V shape with layers and it looks good on her. It lightens the bulk of it. Sorry, no pics.

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
This pic was one of my original inspiration when I first decided I really wanted to grow out. It looked really long then. :D

Those kind of long layers may not free your waves up enough, but you wanted pictures. :flowers:

http://www.sininthesecondcity.com/about.html

Carolyn
June 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Kimberlily, I'm going to be bluntly honest here. I don't think you have enough waviness to mess with layers. I think it will end up being shorter chunks of hair hanging there and annoying the hell out of you. If you think you really want to make some changes, I'd suggest starting out with a deeper U shaped hemline. This will give you a slight "layeriness" upfront. See how that goes and you can deepen up the U shape or angle your sides up a bit more. Go slowly. You've worked too hard to get your lovely hair to ruin it with some impulsive layering that could take a couple years to grow out.

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Kimberlily, I'm going to be bluntly honest here. I don't think you have enough waviness to mess with layers. I think it will end up being shorter chunks of hair hanging there and annoying the hell out of you. If you think you really want to make some changes, I'd suggest starting out with a deeper U shaped hemline. This will give you a slight "layeriness" upfront. See how that goes and you can deepen up the U shape or angle your sides up a bit more. Go slowly. You've worked too hard to get your lovely hair to ruin it with some impulsive layering that could take a couple years to grow out.

See, I just thought the weight of the hair had pulled some of the waviness out. That's what mine does.

A u-shaped hemline would be a good place to start, though.

The last time I did that to myself I combed my hair into a ponytail on the top of my head and snipped off the tip. That gave me a nice swingy hemline and some layering in the bottom. The more toward your forehead the ponytail is the shorter your sides will be.

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
If I were you and decided to do this I would go very long layers at first for sure. That way if you didn't like them they wouldn't take that long to grow out and you could see if you liked the way they look. Does your hair tend to be frizzy? Mine does and it's much worse with layers because I have more ends all over if that makes sense. I know how all that hair feels, I'm feeling it too and toy with the idea at times of face framing layers. I don't think I would do it all over though just because I remember my hair with them. Whatever you decide hope you like them and I want to see pictures (even though I hardly ever post any :o )

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I would also suggest very long layers, perhaps just about 2 inches shorter than your hemline...that way it's just a few months to grow them back out.

I honestly like layers. Mine I think have just about grown out and I'm starting to get a triangle head look. I think my hair looks its best with layers. I don't know how your waves will react at all since they seem to brush out very easily. :shrug: But long layers would be a good place to start since you wouldn't loose too much time/energy if you decided you didn't like them, and you could also trim them a little shorter if you do like them :)

edensapples
June 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Kimberlily, I'm going to be bluntly honest here....

I have wavy hair and am growing out layers. I agree with Carolyn.

snowbear
June 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
We have almost the same type of hair, and on me layers are a hassle. I don't have time to spend coaxing them into place every morning, nor do I have the inclination. Also, thick hair and layers aren't a good idea. If you aren't careful, you'll end up looking like either a tree or a jester (ps. I'm really good at MS Paint. :lol:):

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6218/layers.png

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Thinking about this, when I was getting cuts to bring out wave/curl I remember my stylist telling me that she was putting the layers in mostly under the canopy so it would spring up and support the canopy. She would then texturize the canopy and that set lots of wave/curl loose.

Frankly, I didn't even know she was layering it because the canopy looked all one length to me.

SpecialKitty
June 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Layers or not, I just wanted to say kimberlily, your hair is looking great!

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thinking about this, when I was getting cuts to bring out wave/curl I remember my stylist telling me that she was putting the layers in mostly under the canopy so it would spring up and support the canopy. She would then texturize the canopy and that set lots of wave/curl loose.

Frankly, I didn't even know she was layering it because the canopy looked all one length to me.

Is that similar to the devacut? I'm really not familiar with it, but it sounds vaguely so :)

edensapples
June 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
We have almost the same type of hair, and on me layers are a hassle. I don't have time to spend coaxing them into place every morning, nor do I have the inclination. Also, thick hair and layers aren't a good idea. If you aren't careful, you'll end up looking like either a tree or a jester (ps. I'm really good at MS Paint. :lol:):

Laugh!! Ah, I had a hard day and needed that laugh. Thanks :D

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Kimberlily, do you remember the member here named Connie? I remember she had long pretty brown hair similar to yours and one time she posted a tutorial on how she cut long layers into her hair. It was simply gorgeous. You might want to dig up her old posts on the old board and see if you can find that.

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Is that similar to the devacut? I'm really not familiar with it, but it sounds vaguely so :)

I think the Devacut is a curl by curl cut on dry hair like what is described in Curly Girl.

Michelle always cut my hair wet. After she used the diffuser to dry it to damp she would go back and divide some curls and cut the underpart of the curl (if that makes any sense). Otherwise it seemed like a regular haircut to me.

I miss her! If she hadn't moved to California I think I would still have short curly hair. :eyebrows:

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Kimberlily, do you remember the member here named Connie? I remember she had long pretty brown hair similar to yours and one time she posted a tutorial on how she cut long layers into her hair. It was simply gorgeous. You might want to dig up her old posts on the old board and see if you can find that.

I just did a member search. If you are talking about this gal, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=5989 that is some seriously gorgeous hair!

If anyone comes up with a link to her tutorial please post it.

angelthadiva
June 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
snowbear: That was too funny, thanks for the visual!

I like the way your hair is now. I'm growing out long layers and I regret cutting them in, in the first place...It makes my ends look really thin and fairytale, but they aren't...Good luck w/your decision.

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I just did a member search. If you are talking about this gal, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=5989 that is some seriously gorgeous hair!

If anyone comes up with a link to her tutorial please post it.
Yes that is Connie. I'm sure it can be found in the archives. I am way too lazy to go looking though. :D

GoddesJourney
June 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you're going to want to grow them out shortly after you get them. Layers require maintenance. They look great for a couple of weeks to a month, then they're just a nuisance. They make your braids look terrible. Also, the manage to bring the split end potential 8 inches higher than the rest of your hair. Then you end up like me, growing it out just to cut it and still not reaching the stuff you really want to cut. If you wanted to get rid of them with your length, you might have to cut back above BSL. You'll do what you want, but I would say, "You might regret it.". What might be easier is to feather the front and see if that works for you. If not, you know not to do the rest.

Blue Willow
June 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
omg, DON't!! I was bored and was talked into getting layers in my (past)waist length hair (at the time). As long as I wore my hair down it was great, but forget braiding or putting it in a ponytail or putting it up without ends sticking
out everywhere:(. Having layers does not give you more options, just the opposite. Once you do, if you decide you don't like it, it will take you a quite a few years to get them all grown out..quite horrid:rolleyes:

Just resist and the urge will past. :cool:

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Oh boy, do I love this!! I can relate. :gabigrin:

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
So much layer hate at LHC. :nono:

Layers are fantastic if you have thick, wavy hair and you have little to no desire to wear braids or intricate hairstyles.

Long layers:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/74/203561630_09c40a92c2_o.jpg
http://www.greysanatomyinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/kate_walsh_400.jpg
http://www.celebrity-styletalk.com/images/layered-hair.jpg

I will break LHC of it's anit-layer ways!!! Muahwhahahaha! :p

ReddishRocks
June 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm BSL with layers, and if you're not interested in up-dos, they're awesome! I get dry-cut (the aforementioned Deva cut) because I always wear my hair curly when down. But since the OP's hair is wavy instead of curly, it's probably not necessary (or desirable).

I am trying to strike a balance between curly/wavy down and up-do ease. It is VERY annoying to watch my ends poke out of braids (it's to the point where I just don't do braided up-dos), and I get antenna sometimes. I'm growing my layers mostly out, but I am keeping my deep U hemline for sure. :)

If you don't care about up-dos, I think layers are a great way to add depth, texture, and interest to loose hair. :D

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You are absolutely right, Manderly. My hair would be heavily layered if I wasn't more interested in updos than in wearing it down.

physicschick
June 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
This is an incredibly useful thread, as I'm also considering layers (long layers, which I'd be willing to cut off if I didn't like them). I feel cheated that when I had my hair shorter in the late 1990s, nobody thought to tell me about layers. They might have prevented triangle-head.

See, I just thought the weight of the hair had pulled some of the waviness out. That's what mine does.

A u-shaped hemline would be a good place to start, though.

The last time I did that to myself I combed my hair into a ponytail on the top of my head and snipped off the tip. That gave me a nice swingy hemline and some layering in the bottom. The more toward your forehead the ponytail is the shorter your sides will be.
These are the instructions I was thinking about using. Do you have any pictures of it? Since the layering would be just at the bottom, would it still be possible to braid the hair?

My sister, whose hair type is similar to mine, has something like the jester look going. :lol: It's not bad on her, but it's way too much fluffiness for me.

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
My braid tassels were long with this and since my hair was between apl and bsl at the time it was about 2/3 braid and 1/3 tassel. Or you can just have fuzzy braids. Your choice. :)

The full story is that I used Feye's U-hem trim technique, then made a high ponytail and cut straight across.

Toadstool
June 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I personally like layers. My hair is a similar type to yours and whenever it's been one length I've felt like I had WAY too much hair. Manderly has posted some good pictures.I think on your dark hair layers would look even better.

Fethenwen
June 9th, 2009, 01:06 AM

Ahhahah! :p This is exactly how I feel when I take my hair down. I look like a darn christmas tree! I have still many short layers from my last haircut, above chin length *shudders*

Layers are fantastic if you have thick, wavy hair and you have little to no desire to wear braids or intricate hairstyles.

Long layers:
http://www.greysanatomyinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/kate_walsh_400.jpg
http://www.celebrity-styletalk.com/images/layered-hair.jpg

I will break LHC of it's anit-layer ways!!! Muahwhahahaha! :p
The first and the last one looks kinda great :) They have both thick wavy hair. But I must point out that those two in the middle have awful looking layers. Especially that one to the right.
---

So, as many have pointed out, my opinion is also that long layers might work. Please be careful, and don't cut any short ones at first.

Aditi
June 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Personally i love layers but they do require lot of maintenance no matter they are long or short, if you don't maintain them they get very awkward shaped and ruin your hair's overall look and waves.

manderly
June 9th, 2009, 01:24 AM
But I must point out that those two in the middle have awful looking layers. Especially that one to the right.

It's the same woman with the same haircut, just styled differently. I put that one in to show what layers look like on wavy and straight hair. I'm not a fan of layers on straight hair (except face framing), but they look completely different when wavy.

Tap Dancer
June 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I would also suggest very long layers, perhaps just about 2 inches shorter than your hemline...that way it's just a few months to grow them back out.

Good suggestion! :thumbsup: And if you like the layers, Kimberlily, you can always add a few more later or shorten the ones you have.

Long layers:

Her hair is sexy! At my current length, I like my hair to be one length. Otherwise I'll be itching to cut it all within a few months. But when my hair is long, I think I'll look best with layers like hers. I'm excited thinking of how good my hair will look in a couple more years! :grin:

I think your hair would look fine with layers because you don't have a lot of wave. JMO.

bigdreamer
June 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I have wavy hair and last year it was all one length, I was bored and got layers and a v-cut which I liked for a little while. It turns out the canopy was really wavy and the underneath length was not, and the now shorter layers tended to dry fast and shrink up. The length then started to "spread out" across my shirt in the back and look thin and stringy.

Also, my waves would "bend" where they want, not how it was cut. Took a lot of styling and I got into a constant heat habit again to make it look decent. I'm growing all layers out now forever I swear...

If you get them, get them very very long!

Loviatar
June 9th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hello :) late to the punch as always.

Personally I would go with a deeper U shape and then a V if you like it. It's an easier way of lessening the 'heavy' look without chopping in a bunch of layers you might not like in the long run.

I hope you settle on whatever is right for you though :flower:

janeytilllie
June 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have very thick hair and waves I have had layers and no layers. For me personally I don’t like layers. They were ok to begin with but they got incredible thin, through it’s properly due to me neglecting them.

But I think long layers are ok :). That way you can see if you like them and if you don’t like them you don’t have to cut a lot off to even up again. :D

BTW Your hair is beautiful! :thud:

nayver
June 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Hahaha, last time I went to a hairdresser I ended looking like a tree :D It was Christmas of 2007 so, I think the lovely lady who cut it was a bit inspired by the season.

kimberlily
June 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Manderly, I've never understood the layer hate here either. Yes, layers are a PITA in braids and updos, but they look really fantastic on lots of people.

I have no intention of doing really short layers. If I hate it, I'll just let it grow out and trim as I go. I'm not growing my hair any longer than it already is, so it isn't as though growing out layers is going to delay getting to my length goal :)

windinherhair
June 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
When I wanted layers in my hair last year, the lady told me that my hair wouldn't benefit from many layers since it was so long. So she just added one layer a couple inches above my hemline. I thought it did add some extra body, but not much. Actually, I just feel that it made my hair look "thinner" at the bottom without the extra hair! So now I am growing it out.

The sides of my hair are also "razored" off to give me some short pieces down the sides of my face. I am trying to grow those out too, and just keep my bangs. It looks too choppy, and looks too much like hair is breaking off. It might look nicer on shorter hair, but since mine is so long I don't like it.

wintersun99
June 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM

LisaJaney
June 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I fought the urge to get layers for a LONG time, because of the "layer-hate" that is inspired in us by our peers here. I finally just DID it, and am SOOOO happy I did. My hair (you remember how THIN THIN THIN it is on the ends) looks NO different in the fairy-tale-ends dept, but the upper parts are SO much more full-looking now. I adore my layers.

That very-first picture that someone linked (sin in the second city, the article was called. Love her hair, love her shirt!) looked like the lady had hair similar to yours: not TERRIBLY wavy, but leaned towards 1b or c, so there is some body there.

I have NO problems with braids that I didn't have before. I have so many hairs that just terminal-out before they get very long, that my hair (even when "all one length", which is SUCH a misnomer on me!) always made fuzzy braids. With my hair's complete LACK of thickness, my braids look more like a wiggly pipecleaner than anything else. So I still have that going on. My buns are only SLIGHTLY smaller than before, but when you're already teeny-bunned, what's the diff???

I think that if you got LOTS Of layers (short layers) you may not be happy, but if you have your first layers start about BSL or something, they'd still have enough length to them to hang well and not "jester" on ya. And You'd still have enough hair length to do updos just fine. AND if you do a U-shape so it's shorter up front to frame your face (like that first pic, the sin/second city one) it'd be adorable. You're beautiful no matter what (I've seen the pics) and I think you'd look magnifique with a cut like that sincity lady.

kimberlily
June 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks Lisa ;) I think I might try the method where you pull your hair straight up and snip a bit off. If I hate it, I won't lose much length, and like I said before, I'm not going longer than I am now anyway, so no real harm done, right?

spidermom
June 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Lisa ;) I think I might try the method where you pull your hair straight up and snip a bit off. If I hate it, I won't lose much length, and like I said before, I'm not going longer than I am now anyway, so no real harm done, right?

Don't forget pictures.

GlassEyes
June 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Layers aren't the devil. They helped me from having a head shaped like a triangle. Granted, my hair isn't as thick as some, and my bottom layer IS thin, but they work well on thick hair.

Also, they can work in STRAIGHT AND WAVY hair if they're cut right/you have body. A 1a with alyers can be problematic at times, but anything above that should be able to handle it just fine.

Also, I think if they're cut right, Kimberlily's hair will wave up more. :shrug: I disagree with Carolyn.

LiraelQ
June 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I think getting good layers is all about finding the right stylist. Some inexperienced/untalented stylists really don't seem to understand differences in hair texture, length, growing patterns, etc. If you find someone who's skilled, rather than someone who follows a bunch of simplistic rules she learned in cosmetology class, you'll probably get something that's really flattering!

I get that a lot of layer-hate here is because of how they interfere with updos, or shorten a bunch of your hair. But if you're not happy with the way it looks all one length, why not change it?! No one says you have to get layers all the way up to your chin. And since you already are having problems with updos and braids, it looks like you've got nothing to lose!

Really, you could get layers an inch or two up--that adds enough variety for me :) And it keeps my hemline from poofing out everywhere...makes my hair much more presentable when worn down (1/2 the time at least).

L4dybug
June 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Your hair is so pretty the way it is. I used to have waist length hair. I got tired of it, wanted a change, so I had my hair cut into layers. I loved it for a while, and soon I regreted doing it. Now I wished I had my long hair back.

Firefly
June 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think you should give it a try. Since you're planning on long layers, if you wind up not being crazy about them you'll be able to grow them out in no time.

Good luck whatever you decide!

GlennaGirl
June 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I heart my face-framing layers. That's all I can say. :)

Shermie Girl
June 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Don't forget pictures.

What she said. :D :agree:

Ursula
June 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Kimberlily,

The straightness may be coming from the henna, rather than from the weight of your hair. Back when I did the "Long term LHC member" polls on the old boards, one of them was about whether LHC-style routines made hair straighter, curlier/wavier, or left it the same. Overall, people who switched to LCH-style routines (CO, CWC, etc.) found more wave/curl in their hair, with the notable exception of those who started to henna. Those who used henna found their hair getting straighter.

So if you're looking to bring your waves back, I'm not sure if trimming or adding layers so that the weight doesn't pull your hair straight will address the issue of your hair being straighter.

Which is not to say not to do layers if you think you'll like them even on your "straight hair" days. Rather, I'd look for a style that would work either with waves or with the straightness.

Carolyn
June 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Layers aren't the devil. They helped me from having a head shaped like a triangle. Granted, my hair isn't as thick as some, and my bottom layer IS thin, but they work well on thick hair.

Also, they can work in STRAIGHT AND WAVY hair if they're cut right/you have body. A 1a with alyers can be problematic at times, but anything above that should be able to handle it just fine.

Also, I think if they're cut right, Kimberlily's hair will wave up more. :shrug: I disagree with Carolyn.I can see why you say that since you have 3a hair. Layers are great for curlies. I wouldn't want triangle head either :D I think this is comparing apples to oranges and not accounting for personal preference. If you're a 3a how can you really know how 1c-2a hair behaves? A 1c-2b probably isn't going to be happy with the thin ends that look great with curlier hair. If Kim's hair is like mine it won't wave more. It will just be shorter pieces of hair hanging there. Mine never got wavier as it got shorter or with layers added and I did have some good cuts. It looked like it was layered hair, which it was. It did not fall in soft waves.Then there was the problem of maintaining the layers and the constant messing with them when wearing it down. That meant a lot of wear and tear on my hair. I think those who are wavier or true curlies don't have to mess with the curls/layers. I speak from bitter experience when I say that my hair had to be blow dried and done with a hot air roundbrush or a curling iron when it was layered if I wanted to be happy with wearing it down. I'm just urging caution and pleading a case for going slowly with adding layers.

jessie58
June 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Kimberlily, I urge you to look up Connie's photo thread on the old boards. I looked at it earlier and she does a tutorial on how to make long layers in long hair. Gorgeous.

kimberlily
June 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Kimberlily, I urge you to look up Connie's photo thread on the old boards. I looked at it earlier and she does a tutorial on how to make long layers in long hair. Gorgeous.

I looked, but I couldn't find it :(

misstwist
June 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
My google-fu has failed me, too. I've spent quite a bit of time paging through the threads and using google searches. I would appreciate a link.

Roseate
June 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Another vote in favor of (cautious) layers.

I love my long layers- I have them in about the last 3" of my hair and, in thick wavy hair like yours and mine, I really like the way it makes the ends look- it gives them a little more movement. I don't mind having a 3" braid tassel.

I like the fake taper that I get from layers; I feel like it actually makes my hair easier to put up because the ends are lighter and easier to secure under, instead of being so thick as to defeat all pins.

Start conservative if you're self-trimming, pick a stylist carefully if not, and have fun!

jessie58
June 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry, guys, I should have posted a link when I found it. I'll go back and get it for you.

jessie58
June 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Okay, what a rigamarole.

So don't forget the log out, log in thing.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=774349&postcount=63

That Connie had incredible hair and photos. I hope you are able to gain access.

manderly
June 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Okay, what a rigamarole.

So don't forget the log out, log in thing.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=774349&postcount=63

That Connie had incredible hair and photos. I hope you are able to gain access.

Thank you! :inlove: She really does have gorgeous hair! :D

FYI, the info about cutting layers in her length starts on post #71. The one you have linked is for her face framing bits. :)

I may give it a shot, I've been meaning to trim up my layers :)

misstwist
June 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I only lurked at the old forum so I don't have access. Would it be kosher to repost this or was it in a private area?

Or let me know the thread name.

manderly
June 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It was in the Photo Journals section of the site. I can't really remember, but I think that was limited access. You can contact a Mod here and they may be able to grant you access to the restricted archives since you're active here ;)

GlassEyes
June 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I can see why you say that since you have 3a hair. Layers are great for curlies. I wouldn't want triangle head either :D I think this is comparing apples to oranges and not accounting for personal preference. If you're a 3a how can you really know how 1c-2a hair behaves? A 1c-2b probably isn't going to be happy with the thin ends that look great with curlier hair. If Kim's hair is like mine it won't wave more. It will just be shorter pieces of hair hanging there. Mine never got wavier as it got shorter or with layers added and I did have some good cuts. It looked like it was layered hair, which it was. It did not fall in soft waves.Then there was the problem of maintaining the layers and the constant messing with them when wearing it down. That meant a lot of wear and tear on my hair. I think those who are wavier or true curlies don't have to mess with the curls/layers. I speak from bitter experience when I say that my hair had to be blow dried and done with a hot air roundbrush or a curling iron when it was layered if I wanted to be happy with wearing it down. I'm just urging caution and pleading a case for going slowly with adding layers.

Just because I don't have straight or wavy hair, doesn't mean I can't possibly know how it behaves. I may not be an expert on the matter, but I DO have eyes. Anyone who doesn't have curly hair can know that it's prone to being frizzy, and anyone with coarse hair can know that fine hair is more delicate.

My sister has layered waist length 1b/F/M/ii hair with long layers, and she loves them. They make her hair look thicker, if anything. Another friend of mine HAD layered BSL 1c/2a/M/C/iii hair, and she regrets cutting them off. She does NOTHING to her hair, and it still looked great.

There's a difference between good layers and bad layers. I wouldn't recommend anyone with i hair to get them, but if your hair is thick it might take to them better.

But I agree with going slowly.

misstwist
June 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
'k, the archive thread in site support says they aren't doing that anymore, but I'll ask.

jessie58
June 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thank you! :inlove: She really does have gorgeous hair! :D

FYI, the info about cutting layers in her length starts on post #71. The one you have linked is for her face framing bits. :)

I may give it a shot, I've been meaning to trim up my layers :)

Oh shoot Manderly, thanks for letting us know it was post #71. That is her photo journal too so new members won't have access.
Yes her hair is to die for.

Deborah
June 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I vote no on the layers. I think your one-length hair is too beautiful to mess with.

Whatever you decide, I hope you become happier with your hair soon. :)

manderly
June 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Here's a video I found a while back about cutting layers. Now that my hair is a length I'm happier with kind of messing with, I think I'll do this tonight. I'm only going to do the single, full ponytale though, I don't want that drastic a result (she does 2 ponies).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

I'm going to jump in the shower and do this now. I just took a couple shots of my current hair (it's awful, ratty beach hair...bleh....so probably not the best to show before & after)

I'll upload the photos later :)

teela1978
June 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I think I'm going to advocate layers in baby steps. Maybe do a little U or V cut, trim out some face-framers... and then if that's not enough, go for the top of the head ponytail trim :)

It sounds like you're just looking for a change, and a change in hemline is always more significant than I expect it to be.

manderly
June 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Ok, I just cut my hair.

I did this in the shower, with my hair all conditioned up. That wasn't the best idea. Kind of makes the hair and scissors slip all over the place. :rolleyes:

So after fiddling with it for a while, drying the ends, doing itty bitty snips, etc. I managed to cut about 1" off my ponytail. I also realized in my pulling and prodding I messed up the edge a bit, :lol: When I combed the pony back out with my head upside down I saw the crooked edge. Instead of fiddling with it more and losing any of my precious length I let it go. I have a LOT of leeway with wavy hair, I don't have to have it be perfect for it to come out well.

In hindsight, I should have done this with towel dried hair :) If this comes out well, I'll do it that way next time. I may also cut more if I see that the overall length wasn't diminished.

This is probably also great in helping me with my tangles. S&Ding and Feye's trimming only takes care of my hemline for the most part. I get tangles a few inches up, at the ends of my layers, so I'm looking forward to the prospect of getting rid of those tangles.

So it's up in my turbie now, I'll report back tomorrow with before & after photos.

jessie58
June 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I look forward to the pics. I did this method last month and it didn't seem to do much for me. I was chicken so I took only a little bit off.

Aditi
June 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Kimberlily,

The straightness may be coming from the henna, rather than from the weight of your hair. Back when I did the "Long term LHC member" polls on the old boards, one of them was about whether LHC-style routines made hair straighter, curlier/wavier, or left it the same. Overall, people who switched to LCH-style routines (CO, CWC, etc.) found more wave/curl in their hair, with the notable exception of those who started to henna. Those who used henna found their hair getting straighter.

So if you're looking to bring your waves back, I'm not sure if trimming or adding layers so that the weight doesn't pull your hair straight will address the issue of your hair being straighter.

Which is not to say not to do layers if you think you'll like them even on your "straight hair" days. Rather, I'd look for a style that would work either with waves or with the straightness.
That's a great advice Ursula, i just did my very first henna and i noticed that my hair became somewhat straight my wavyness was tamed a little :D. I think i should be a little bit more careful with the henna thing.

manderly
June 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, can't say that I notice much of a difference, but that may be because I only cut like 1 inch, or because my hair's pretty wavy and I don't notice much. :shrug:

After (still slightly damp, and I'm sunburned!):
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2175.jpg

And my before photos were really awful beach hair and fuzzy comb out, so I'm using my profile pic (3/3/09) to use as my "Before"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2108.jpg

If you're interested, here are the bad before photos, which don't make it a really fair comparison.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2173.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2174.jpg

What IS nice is I feel I got a lot of my tangles out by trimming :) I'm sure I'll do this again!

ETA: As you can see it's pretty subtle (well, invisible!), so trimming an inch off the end of a ponytail on the top of your head seems like a nice way to venture into the world of layers :)

annie09
June 10th, 2009, 01:34 AM
A few layers would look good and give better shape i think, especially as you are not going to wear it up which is the main problem with my layers.

hennaphile
June 10th, 2009, 04:30 AM
You have such lovely hair, personally I'd wait until the ends started to fairytale :) but that's me

kimberlily
June 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Manderly, thanks for posting the video. I'll take a look at it later today :)

Hennaphile, I don't want to grow my hair any longer than it is. I took 5" off the length earlier this year ;)

One of my blog friends suggested that my hair could look a lot like Evangeline Lilly's (http://www.mundodelocio.com/cine/imagenes/fotos-actrices/evangeline-lilly/evangeline-lilly11.jpg) if I got layers, and that is exactly what I'm picturing, only longer.

Ursula, you do have a point about the henna, but my hair is strange. It has gotten much wavier since I started using it. My hair is also wavier when I use cones. It doesn't play by the rules :lol:

Nightshade
June 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Late to the party, but I love my layers :) I'm growing out the few longest ones just to thicken up my hemline, but I don't think I'll ever want to be rid of them. I like how it makes my hair look when it's down :blossom:

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
EHHHHHHHHH.

I'm not so sure it'l look like that if you cut layers in. I know what I said earlier, but her hair is shorter (i.e., less likely to weight down wave), and her layers are MUCH shorter than what you've said you're planning, and that also makes the wave act up more. Also, it's styled.

Layers could help with what you find awkward about your hair, but I think it's unlikely to get you THAT far. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

Roseate
June 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I agree with GlassEyes, I doubt you'll get as wurly as she is in that picture. I have seen other photos of her with a more relaxed wave pattern, like this one (http://www.evangelinelilly.com.ar/pictures/evangeline-lilly4.htm); you might end up with something more in that department.

misstwist
June 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
One of my blog friends suggested that my hair could look a lot like Evangeline Lilly's (http://www.mundodelocio.com/cine/imagenes/fotos-actrices/evangeline-lilly/evangeline-lilly11.jpg) if I got layers, and that is exactly what I'm picturing, only longer.

See, I thought Evangeline Lilly was a member who I couldn't place.

I seem to be entirely out of touch with the dominant culture. Mission accomplished! :p

GlassEyes
June 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
See, I thought Evangeline Lilly was a member who I couldn't place.

I seem to be entirely out of touch with the dominant culture. Mission accomplished! :p

If it helps, I haven't a clue who she is. XD

Tap Dancer
June 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
If it helps, I haven't a clue who she is. XD

Neither do I. :p

holomi
June 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I think it would look fine, especially considering you are not growing out your hair any longer. If you don't like them, you can always grow them back out. You have thick enough hair so that your ends will not look thin, and you have great wave. I don't think it will look bad at all.

Try it and see! :)