PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Shave It All Off (Rant!)

Maelyssa
June 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
My hair is a horrid mess these days & I simply am running out of ideas as of what to do.
I don't even have any hair pics up because I currently am without dig camera but it's basically waist-length hair with a mild natural wave to it.

Here are my two big issues.

#1 No matter what I've done or what I do or do not use on my hair it feels just wonderful after I wash or co it. It even still feels soft & healthy that same day but no matter what...the very next day my hair is like straw. It is so dry & mangled that nothing short of completely soaking it in water & putting in more conditioner helps. I've tried lightly misting it. I've tried oil. I've tried oil & water. I've tried conditioner as a leave in. I've tried oil & conditioner. I've gone cone free. I've gone with cones. I don't use sulfates. I've tried poo bars. I am at an absolute loss.
And with my busy life I'm not always about to wet my hair every day like that. And when it is dry it breaks & breaks & breaks. Whether I finger comb, wide tooth comb or brush. It breaks so badly that my whole sink will be covered in hair.

#2 Tangles. Oh the tangles. Yesterday I thought my hair was pretty good in the morning so I decided to wear it down for the day. I didn't move around too much...no real wind...nothing. Last night My ENTIRE HEAD was one matted rat's nest. Seriously. The whole length of my hair was weaved & knotted & very literally matted together in a giant clump right around the nape of my neck. I don't know what's causing this because I don't heat style...haven't in years. Don't bleach my hair. I don't know if it's because of all the breakage it's tangling that bad or what. But that scares me then because it's knotting/matting up right at the nape so if it's so damaged that I need to cut would that mean all the way to my ears?

Frankly I'm getting sick of nothing working & my hair seeming to get worse & worse.
I'm open to suggestions because I really don't want to have to chop it all off.
HELP!

Lamb
June 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Could be protein. Or buildup. Or both.
I vote for the first, can you let us know what products you use?

I see you don't use sulfates, in which case buildup would be more likely. I would do a couple washes with full-strength SLS shampoo, and use just enough conditioner to detangle. Preferably some light cone-free condish.

Kirin has a good article on hair diagnosis, you may want to check that out, too.

MandaMom2Three
June 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I would definitely try clarifying if you havn't already. I know when my hair starts being that finicky it needs it. I've also found that when my starts drying out that quickly it needs protein. An egg/mayo soak does wonders. Hope you find something that works :flower:

Spiffyhink
June 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am sorry you're so frustrated :( How do you style your hair? Have you tried switching from braids to updos, or from updos to braids, etc. Maybe the way it's being kept up is affecting its quality.

Do you use rusty hair pins or elastics with metal on them? Any other hair toys that might be causing damage?

I think with all the people we have here, though, we should be able to come up with something! Don't give up yet!

Isilme
June 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
with waist length hair it's almost impossible to wear it down a whole day wiithout detangling sometime during the day. If I were you I would find a permanent place for a nice comb in my purse. I also suggest clarifying as others have said, and maybe a tiny, tiny trim now and then if your hair is damaged?

hairbrain
June 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
you know what? Ive been thinking the exact same thing lately with mine. The past few days I've noticed a lot of breakage and when I run my fingers over the ends there is breakage and I figure I need a good s&d. Then yesterday I washed it and it was so soft and flowy. Today it feels dry and tangly.
Its definately the breakage and splits in my hair that is causing my problem.
And when you have splits, they act like velcro to other pieces of hair causing tangles and matting.
Please dont cut it all off or do anything drastic.
Try clarifying to remove any buildup.
Take a few, sit and trim your splits.
Then treat yourself to a nice hot oil or conditioning treatment
and see how it feels after.
Baby it and nurse it back to health.
Thats what I need to do to mine.
Deep Breaths....we're here for you!

jivete
June 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Mine tends to feel dry by the 2nd day too. If I go three days, the last day my ends are just nasty. I don't have advice, but wanted to let you know I'm having the same problem.

spidermom
June 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
So it sounds like this might be a good plan (if not already tried):
1) Do a clarifying shampoo.
2) Do a protein treatment.
3) Do a deep moisture treatment.

My stylist did this for me the last time I saw her, and my hair was like glass afterwards - smooth, sleek, shiny. She also trimmed off the oldest ends, which always helps.

Arctic
June 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sounds a lot like mine was when I had over conditioner hair and build-up.

I wouldn't advice starting your seach for soluton with protein though, go for moisture instead. If moisture treatments don't work, then try protein (and moisturize afterwards).

BTW, my hair is, even when free of build-up, always best on the wash day. Always. Some hairtypes just are like that.

Maelyssa
June 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions & support. Glad to know I am not alone.

Here's what my routine has been.

When cone-free I was using Giovanni 50-50 which says it's clarifying & hydrating then I'd use Suave Naturals Orchid conditioner & also camilla oil.

Once it became totally brittle & unmanageable I switched it up to David Babaii for WildAid Moisture poo & conditioner. The only difference was more slip & less breakage when combing after the shower but still...same results next day. No matter what I use it's tons of breakage, matting & dryness.

I did a self-trim maybe 2 or 3 wks ago & took off just under an inch.
I vary my updos from different types of braids to different types of twists & buns....just so long as I don't have to have a hair toy in the same place all the time.
My hair toys are claw clips & the hair ties that have no metal...the Goody Ouchless ones. And when I do have to use them I do it as little as possible.
I'd comb tangles throughout the day but at this point my hair looks horrid afterward & I lose so much in breakage it's not worth it.

I believe my products do have protein in them but maybe not enough. Maybe it's buildup & the Giovanni simply was not a strong enough clarifier although to be honest is really seemed to overstrip the heck out of my hair.

I'm going to try your suggestions as well as check out that diagnosis link. :D

Arctic
June 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
This is the absolute best article (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69) I have seen about moisture/protein balance of hair.

kdaniels8811
June 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I had to clarify my hair last week due to build up and it has been really dry since so I am doing an SMT right now. That will make my hair wonderfully soft.