PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get headaches?

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
...from having long hair?

A coworker once told me that her friend had to cut her gorgeous long hair because the doctor told her it was the weight of the hair causing her headaches.

bahannas
June 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
My hair is only APL, but I still manage to get "hairaches" every once in awhile. They usually happen after I've pinned my hair up for a long time, and for some reason feel worse on my greasy days. I guess it has something to do with the excess oils holding my hair in place. :shrug:

I remember when I had nearly tailbone length hair. The day I cut it to pixie, I almost felt lightheaded.

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Wow tailbone to pixie!!! what a drastic change! I get the urge to have mine cut short every now and then... but then people remind me how long it has taken to get this far...

LittleOrca
June 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I get a headache from my hair only if I put it up in a place on my head where it is not getting much support. If I do a large sock bun and I can feel my hair on parts of my head are more tense, I know a headache will form so I move the bun to where it is supported better by my head (but not always right on top, it probably varies from person to person) and I don't have a problem.

It also depends on how I put it up. Sock buns tend to give me a headache more often than a Chinese or Woven bun would.

Nevermore
June 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't believe in the hair weight=headaches thing. I think it's more about unbalanced updos pulling on one section of scalp and the way that some people hold their necks stiffly when their hair is bunned at a certain spot. I think some people are just more sensitive to those things than others.

bahannas
June 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Wow tailbone to pixie!!! what a drastic change! I get the urge to have mine cut short every now and then... but then people remind me how long it has taken to get this far...

I was young, around 10 I think? It didn't bother me too much. :)

GoddesJourney
June 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
My hair isn't all that long (BSL), but I find that I do get headaches from things like extensive bunwear. If I wear something like a braid at the nape I don't get any problems. My hair is a bit thick, so I guess having the weight of my hair hanging on the back of my head doesn't work out for me. As a massage therapist, I can see why this would cause serious long term neck issues. I've found that whatever keeps the balance of my head is fine. Things on top of the head or at the nape is great. Loose hair doesn't bother me at all.

Kiraela
June 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
In answer to the main question, Yeah. I get headaches(Migraines) on a nearly daily basis. I don't think it has much to do with my hair, though, since it's been this length or nearly the same for almost a year, and the headaches have only really taken over in the last 5-6 months. For relief though, I do think it's all in how you wear it, although for me it only helps halfarse, since the hair is merely aggravating an already existing problem. I've found that faux or real crown braids, or anything that distributes the weight over a large part of the scalp (1/4 of the head or better) helps some, and are usually fairly easy to lay down with. As A matter of fact, I've got my hair in a ginormous bun of doom (patent pending! :P) and I'm using it as a pillow as I type this.

I have a friend who keeps hinting that I should cut my hair to get rid of the headaches, even though I've explained that it would do no good, and only make me depressed and stressed, which would hurt my head worse!!

Phalaenopsis
June 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Updos give me headaches, especially high ponytails.

I don't think long hair itself causes the headache, but can worsen one if you already had it. And at that moment it seems like the headache comes from the hair.

Ofcourse, what do you define as really long hair? I can only speak from experience when I was young. I had thick hiplength hair

Unnamed
June 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I used to get headaches (chronic headache...think background headache 24/7 with periodic migraines that lasted a few hours to 10 days or so...for, oh, a good 11? years), but it has/had nothing to do with my hair. That turned out to be low sodium, causing my eyes to be really sensitive to light, which in turned caused the headache.

I *will* get a distraction from my hair if: bun/braid/whatever is too tight, if it's in the wrong spot (I wear buns down by the nape 99% of the time for this reason), or if it's really unbalanced. It's not a headache per se (or nothing like any headaches I've had), but then my hair isn't all that heavy, and if something seems 'off' it gets fixed right away.

enfys
June 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Nope. Not from my hair. I *have* had pressure on my head from pin or a stick digging in which goes when I move it.

Maybe I have a strong neck?

Shermie Girl
June 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have chronic, severe headaches, too. The length of my hair has nothing to do with it. My head is just as bad when my hair is short as it is when it is long. A badly balanced updo can cause me a lot of pain and make my existing headache worse. Re doing the bun so it is better balanced or just wearing it down or braided can help. :)

Kiraela
June 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Shermie: Oh, you lucky thing. I can't even do braids half the time unless I rest it on my shoulder so that my shoulder takes all the weight!

Sheltie_Momma
June 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
A braid, or a bun at my nape doesn't bother me at all, but higher do's will get uncomfortable after about 8 hours. I generally pull it down before I let it turn into a headache. If I split the hair up into two pony's (parting my hair horizontally and then bunning those sections) I can wear it up for longer. I do have a lot of heavy hair, but I blame it on me, I don't know how to do up-do very well yet and am probably not distributing the weight well. I think if I get some hair sticks then I'll be able to do a better job than with just pony tails holders and claw clips. But I keep needing to buy other things, like groceries and diapers!

Anje
June 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I get occasional headaches (though I consider them "scalpaches") from wearing my hair in a high bun or in an updo that causes the hair to go in a strange direction, such as a crown braid. Normal-level styles (ears and below, for me) don't usually cause trouble, but if I have a headache I'll put my hair in a low, loose braid so that it doesn't exacerbate it.

Stress, not getting coffee, insufficient sleep, and others' irrationality account for way more headaches than hair, if you ask me.

ETA: For some reason, II Samuel 14:26 comes to mind, though the claim it makes is rather amazing. "Whenever he cut the hair of his head—he used to cut his hair from time to time when it became too heavy for him—he would weigh it, and its weight was two hundred shekels by the royal standard." (200 shekels ~ 2.2 kg ~ 5lbs)

hellkitty
June 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't consider a 'hairache' (bun too tight, pulling in bad spot) the same as a headache. And I'm kind of dubious about hair's ability to cause a real headache.

I DO know that hair is heavy. Twice in my life I've gone from quite long (classic or so) to pixie cut. It actually did take a few days for me to stop feeling 'light' headed. Every time I turned my head it felt weird--I was so used to toting bun-weight around, and it was gone!

However, I had just as many migraines, and just as bad, with super short hair is with long.

HK

Eressea
June 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Well I think it depends on the kind of Hai and the person.

I know, that I do have haircaused headaches, but I also know that I definitively drink too less... it's no big think, but it feels like one. - I mean: not living healthy enough might make you more sensible for that kind of headache ...

frodolaughs
June 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Although I can give myself a headache by doing my hair in a really tight updo or using a fork which gets angled so that my hair pulls it hard against my skull, those problems are very easy to fix. I've had periods in my life with very frequent and severe headaches, and they've happened both when I've had long and short hair. Sometimes I think that adjusting pressure on my head by using updos carefully can actually make a headache go away.

Fractalsofhair
June 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Headbands give me headaches, but never my hair if it's left down. Sometimes a ponytail etc can give me a headache, but I also have fairly short hair now. But as a child, I never had hair induced headaches, and I have had bad migraines from fragrances my whole life!

Magicknthenight
June 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Yes i get headaches as well. Both from hair sticks and forks. Days when my hair isn't working with me a hair stick might not hold it well and I'll have to try making it tighter or it sags and pulls.I find i get headaches worse with hair forks though. Especially when some up dos tend to be tight. Its easier to get more hold but also easier to pull too much. Sometimes however i think it is just the weight because it won't be pulling anywhere. But I never leave up dos overly tight. I actually worry that it will make my hair thinner. When i braid my hair...(over the past few months) i feel as if its so thin! Even the other day my hair was down and my friend started touching it and saying "WOW Didn't your hair used to be a lot thicker? *holds up ends* i mean look theirs not much there" :disgust:
And I worry it was the up dos. But i also think its perhaps better care. Which made the frizz less and smoother that led to less thickness? When i go out with my friends my hair can be up for days at a time so its very important that i try and balance things out. Low buns fall out..and i just can't seem to make one on top of my head...so they end up on the back. The headaches aren't enough to make me cut though. I just need to learn more styles. The lady i used to get my hair trimmed from (before i stopped trimming for a year) said she knew someone with super long super thick hair. I think she did mention headaches too. Recently redoing my up do helps a lot.

nienna42
June 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I get headaches if my hair is pulling on my scalp at an odd angle or if a misplaced bun puts too much tension on my neck. I'm really prone to neck-tension headaches. If I'm wearing my hair in a braid or in a well-balanced bun, I don't have any problems, so I don't think it's just the weight. Hair really doesn't weigh much; I seem to remember someone on LHC who had really thick, long (classic length, at least?) hair weighing it, and it was only a few ounces.

Tangles
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I don't consider a 'hairache' (bun too tight, pulling in bad spot) the same as a headache. And I'm kind of dubious about hair's ability to cause a real headache.

Exactly. Headaches usually come from something internal, like dehydration, affecting the brain. Scalpaches are mechanical pain. It's VERY different.

nienna42
June 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Exactly. Headaches usually come from something internal, like dehydration, affecting the brain. Scalpaches are mechanical pain. It's VERY different.

There are scalpaches and there are headaches, and I know the difference, and I mean it when I say an improperly placed bun can give me a headache.

Shermie Girl
June 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Shermie: Oh, you lucky thing. I can't even do braids half the time unless I rest it on my shoulder so that my shoulder takes all the weight!

I do the same thing when my braid is long enough. It helps. Right now, my hair is just too short. :D

Flynn
June 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yes; it was and is a contributing factor in my migraines. I chopped it off completely, and noticed a huge improvement, then I went on the pill and improved even more. Now I'm back to long hair (short was far to expensive to maintain) I have to be aware of how I wear it up, for how long, and so on.

Flynn
June 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
There are scalpaches and there are headaches, and I know the difference, and I mean it when I say an improperly placed bun can give me a headache.

This is true. "Hairaches" and headaches are very different, and the strain of the weight of hair can cause or intensify a headache, not just give you a "hairache". It can do so with out giving you any scalp pain at all.

GoddesJourney
June 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Agreed, sometimes just misplaced bunweight can cause pressure on your neck that you're not used to. Neck tension causes headaches, too, not just internal things like dehydration or deficiencies. Maybe people who wear their hair up all the time get used to it. I like mine down. I wear it braided at the nape most days, but I need it loose at the end of the day. If I put in in a big updo, I find I can't take it for more than a couple of hours. This is probably because I usually don't wear it that way.

Bene
June 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
i wouldn't say i have long hair yet, but no, i don't get headaches.

i was thinking though, imagine if you think you get headaches from having long hair and chop it all off only to realize that the headaches were caused by something else, like needing glasses? that would suck.

girloctopus
June 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I get aches in my scalp sometimes if tension is off in my hairstyle du jour, but I haven't had any headaches that I could attribute to my hair's weight. Though it is a question people ask when they're trying to be funny, I guess.

Gumball
June 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hair really doesn't weigh that much and most often you can measure it in ounces. I would safely assume putting wet hair up adds a lot to the wait since the hair retains moisture longer if put up when wet (just like your hair gets heavier when you wash it in the shower). There was a thread a while back on the weight of hair. Styles that are too tight or not secured properly can cause aches after a while, whether it's a headache or a scalp ache. This can be compounded if you have even a slight headache to begin with.

LisaButz2001
June 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I have often wondered if my hair contributes to my migraines, I feel a difference in the weight just cutting from TB to waist, so I can't imagine what anything shorter would cause, however I'd rather pop a few Excedrin (i did today).

Gumball
June 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You can see this kind of topic in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=524) thread, and an example of the weight of someone with thick hair and a good amount of length, Dianyla being an example, on page 4 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=524&page=4).

Flynn
June 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hair really doesn't weigh that much and most often you can measure it in ounces. I would safely assume putting wet hair up adds a lot to the wait since the hair retains moisture longer if put up when wet (just like your hair gets heavier when you wash it in the shower). There was a thread a while back on the weight of hair. Styles that are too tight or not secured properly can cause aches after a while, whether it's a headache or a scalp ache. This can be compounded if you have even a slight headache to begin with.

Yes, but nor are heads and necks all that strong! Something which weighs nothing in your hand weighs an awful lot supported the wrong way by your head and neck!

Gumball
June 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Yes, but nor are heads and necks all that strong! Something which weighs nothing in your hand weighs an awful lot supported the wrong way by your head and neck!

Too true. Get the wrong style or something in the wrong place and it can throw you out of whack. Sometimes it really is all about distribution of weight in addition to the strength of the person's neck. Still, if it can hold up an 8 pound head then I'd give it a good shot at holding up a few more ounces. Go go optimism!

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM
i wouldn't say i have long hair yet, but no, i don't get headaches.

i was thinking though, imagine if you think you get headaches from having long hair and chop it all off only to realize that the headaches were caused by something else, like needing glasses? that would suck.I know a girl who did exactly that. And it wasn't the hair. She still gets headaches and is growing it back out. :(

Too true. Get the wrong style or something in the wrong place and it can throw you out of whack. Sometimes it really is all about distribution of weight in addition to the strength of the person's neck. Still, if it can hold up an 8 pound head then I'd give it a good shot at holding up a few more ounces. Go go optimism!You've got a point!!!

Signed,
Glass half full person also :D

Masara
June 9th, 2009, 07:59 AM
My hair is very fine, so very light. But I can get headaches from updos. Sometimes it's always because a stick or fork is digging in or because the updo is badly placed but mostly I get headaches if I'm trying out a new updo. If I'm not sure it will hold all day, I automatically tense all my neck muscles and hold my head far too still. It's not surprising I have headaches by the end of the day.

heidi w.
June 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Perhaps this thread and this other thread should be linked together?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=524
This concerns weight of hair....

See post #81 for an explanation of why "heavy" hair can create a headache.

heidi w.