PDA

View Full Version : The Changes I have made and henna question

WaitingSoLong
June 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Well, I have been at LHC for just over 2 months now. It feels like much longer! Here are the changes I have made since discovering you all:

1. Wash hair only when needed
2. Oil my hair
3. Use different comb/pik
4. Bunning and hair sticks
5. Silky pillow case
6. Brushing only when necessary
7. Sulfate free poo when I don't clarify
8. Cone free conditioner about half the time. But I still use cones if I plan to wear my hair down.

I tried CO and it did not do well for me. So I just only wash when I absolutely have to, which is a lot more often in the summer because of all the yuck work I do.

Thanks to you all I learned to bun with some cheap plastic sticks and bought 3 "real" ones from Ketylo. The serpentine ones, I just love them and have no desire to try others. Thanks for all who recommended them to me! I have 2 diff. lengths of sticks and 3 diff. colors. I recently visited the Ketylo workshop, which was very cool. I got to see how these things are made! Plus Kevin is very nice and asked my opinion on sticks and I showed him a bun or two. I bought one called aqua pearl that is black and white (mostly white) and I guess made of a really good plastic or something. Oh, and I learned how to pronounce Ketylo! lol

Anyway, I have noticed a HUGE reduction in shedding since I have made these changes. I mean HUGE. I was always gathering up hair out of the shower after my washing and now there is only a few strands. If I had to guess at a daily count, I would say maybe 20? My hair was in fairly good condition before I started so not really an improvement in that area. I think I have added a couple inches. I should update my siggy but I do not want to measure yet! I do not want to measure until my birthday in December. I have calculated I should reach my goal length in another year.

The only downside of having long hair is that I snag it a lot (I think I lose more hair this way than shedding) and it makes me look much younger than I am. We have that "stupid comment" thread but I get more negative comments about how young I look than about my hair, but have come to figure out they are directly related. Back when my hair was shorter and darker I look as old as I am now, and that was 7 years ago. They are disdainful comments, too. "You look too young to have 3 kids "...how old does one have to be to have 3 kids? I do realize I look too young to have a 17 year old. But still, I guess they think they are complimenting me but they are usually said in a way that is NOT complimentary, I think it is out of envy. I guess I look about 20 (I am mid 30's!) and I still get carded (I don't drink or smoke, but I get carded for stuff like superglue, brake cleaner...sigh). And THEN they look at me like my ID is fake! I find this very rude. Sue me for looking awesome! LOL. Can I put LOL or does it violate the text-speak thing?

Anyway, about henna, the one color I ever had my hair (and liked) that was not my natural color was red. Not fire-engine, but a nice light auburn or something. People always said it looked more like my natural color than blonde. Plus, my husband liked it.

So I want to know is henna permanent or does it eventually fade? Is this something I could try myself or should I have it done somewhere? Does it work for blondes or is it better for darker hair? And is the henna shampoo an option instead of "dyeing" it?

ChrissieM
June 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
well, henna is definitely permanent, and on blond hair like yours you could get *too* red very easily. I'd suggest cassia with just a bit of henna added to add some red tones, and build from there.

kdaniels8811
June 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I agree with what ChrissieM said, I use henna but my starting color is dark brown. Henna makes my greys orange, will do the same to blond hair. Your hair is beautiful, by the way! Research cassia - you would probably like the results. Henna is very permanent, as in the only way to get rid of it is cut it all off. It does not bleach out.

WaitingSoLong
June 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think I want to go permanent. I will research cassia, never heard of it before. I would do a temporary dye but am afraid of what the chemicals will do to my hair. Thanks.