PDA

View Full Version : Really scary hair incident!

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
This weekend was one of the worst I have ever experienced. First of all, DH and I were taking a nice relaxing trip on the motorcycle with the sidecar up to the country to see some friends. The motorcycle broke down in the middle of NOWHERE and we were stranded for hours until someone could come and rescue us. That wasn't the bad part though. We got to our friends house and asked if they had a fan for us to use. It was very hot in the bedroom and also my DH snores BIGTIME and it helps to drown it out. I BET you know what's coming don't you? Okay so it was an OLD rotating floor fan with the wire cover very far apart (they don't make them like this anymore now I know why). So I plugged the thing in and leaned down to turn it on and a big section of my hair right next to my face gets SUCKED in and wrapped all around the inside of the blades. I thought I was going to DIE! So my "hostess" comes in and says are you okay and I say, "UM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" She says, "Want me to get some scissors?" I say, "Um NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and so thankfully my DH gets out of the shower and talks her through rotating the fan the other way and slowly my hair comes out of the fan, broken but at least not cut off :shudder:

I had just read on a thread here last week about being careful with fans. I can't believe I let this happen. PLEASE everyone be careful. I am thankful it wasn't any worse than it was. :cry:

WaitingSoLong
June 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Oh no! I would have been devastated! Are you able to hide it or is it obvious? How far did it break?

spidermom
June 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Dreadful! I hope you have a terrific week to make up for it.

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Not sure yet how bad really. It wrapped the length up to about 6 inches from my scalp. My hair is curly thank GOODNESS so it hides things pretty well! I haven't washed it yet, just wore it up today OUT OF THE WAY! I think because it is curly it's going to be unnoticeable. I'll know more when I wash it.

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks Spidermom. I now understand why people say when their hair gets to waist they have to wear it up much more. It seems my hair is into EVERYTHING lately. I didn't have that problem until not too long ago really. I have also never HAD hair this long before so never dealt with it before this.

SHELIAANN1969
June 8th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Here is a huge :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am so glad that #1, it did not tear your scalp, that could have been devastating.

I am glad you didn't have to cut it to get it out but I am MORE glad that you aren't wounded.

Oh my, that is a scare, here is another :grouphug:

marialena
June 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
This weekend was one of the worst I have ever experienced. First of all, DH and I were taking a nice relaxing trip on the motorcycle with the sidecar up to the country to see some friends. The motorcycle broke down in the middle of NOWHERE and we were stranded for hours until someone could come and rescue us. That wasn't the bad part though. We got to our friends house and asked if they had a fan for us to use. It was very hot in the bedroom and also my DH snores BIGTIME and it helps to drown it out. I BET you know what's coming don't you? Okay so it was an OLD rotating floor fan with the wire cover very far apart (they don't make them like this anymore now I know why). So I plugged the thing in and leaned down to turn it on and a big section of my hair right next to my face gets SUCKED in and wrapped all around the inside of the blades. I thought I was going to DIE! So my "hostess" comes in and says are you okay and I say, "UM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" She says, "Want me to get some scissors?" I say, "Um NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and so thankfully my DH gets out of the shower and talks her through rotating the fan the other way and slowly my hair comes out of the fan, broken but at least not cut off :shudder:

I had just read on a thread here last week about being careful with fans. I can't believe I let this happen. PLEASE everyone be careful. I am thankful it wasn't any worse than it was. :cry:

Oh nooo.. shudder: shudder:

You don't know how lucky you were.. Sometimes is impossible to take your hair from such things without cutting them..

I'm very happy that you didn't hurt of course. ( and I don't mean only your hair) :)

You are right .. We must be very careful with funs and such appliances..

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Here is a huge :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am so glad that #1, it did not tear your scalp, that could have been devastating.

I am glad you didn't have to cut it to get it out but I am MORE glad that you aren't wounded.

Oh my, that is a scare, here is another :grouphug:Thanks, sniff sniff, that really is sweet! :flowers:

Oh nooo.. shudder: shudder:

You don't know how lucky you were.. Sometimes is impossible to take your hair from such things without cutting them..

I'm very happy that you didn't hurt of course. ( and I don't mean only your hair) :)

You are right .. We must be very careful with funs and such appliances..
Yes, I guess I was so worried about my hair I didn't think to be thankful for ME not getting hurt! You are so right!

WritingMum
June 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Oh, Curlsgirl,
I am sorry your hair was hurt, I am so glad you, yourself, were not. What a mercy that your head and face weren't injured! I hope your hair will be fine. And thankfully, ultimately, you will grow more!

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Oh, Curlsgirl,
I am sorry your hair was hurt, I am so glad you, yourself, were not. What a mercy that your head and face weren't injured! I hope your hair will be fine. And thankfully, ultimately, you will grow more!

Thank you!!!! :flower:

MandaMom2Three
June 8th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Thank goodness you weren't hurt! That's a fear for me, getting my hair caught in things. My mom had beautiful loooooooong hair once, but she got it caught in a press at her work and it tore half her scalp off!!!!! She was only back for a short time when she ended up losing part of her hand to the same press!! :( Machinery scares the living daylights out of me too :shudder:

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thank goodness you weren't hurt! That's a fear for me, getting my hair caught in things. My mom had beautiful loooooooong hair once, but she got it caught in a press at her work and it tore half her scalp off!!!!! She was only back for a short time when she ended up losing part of her hand to the same press!! :( Machinery scares the living daylights out of me too :shudder:

Oh my goodness! No wonder!!! Your poor Mom! Now I really really feel blessed! :hug:

chandeen
June 8th, 2009, 08:46 AM
omg! :bigeyes:
i would totally freak out, if i got in this situation.
my hair only gets caught in these flycatcher (i'm not sure about the right word, but this is the demon >.< *link* (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Fliegenfaenger.jpg/90px-Fliegenfaenger.jpg))

you were very lucky :)
i hope, your hair will forget this accident soon ^^

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
omg! :bigeyes:
i would totally freak out, if i got in this situation.
my hair only gets caught in these flycatcher (i'm not sure about the right word, but this is the demon >.< *link* (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Fliegenfaenger.jpg/90px-Fliegenfaenger.jpg))

you were very lucky :)
i hope, your hair will forget this accident soon ^^

Thanks!!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhh that's a nasty culprit too! :mad:

Babyfine
June 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Curlsgirl, I'm very glad you weren't hurt seriously- that could have been very bad.
I hope your hair is OK- maybe with a little TLC it won't be as bad as you think.
Fans can be bad news- they always worry me especially around little kids.
My hair is only BSL but there are beginning to be situations where my hair needs to be up and contained- such as opening hot ovens, ect. I bent down to turn off my son's fan this a.m. and thought of you even though my hair isn't that long it could have been caught in a fan.

I always think of how unrealistic some of these action movies are where the heroines long hair is flying around in battle scenes, in dangerous situations!
Leia's hair in Star Wars was at least more realistic- she always had it up and contained.

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Curlsgirl, I'm very glad you weren't hurt seriously- that could have been very bad.
I hope your hair is OK- maybe with a little TLC it won't be as bad as you think.
Fans can be bad news- they always worry me especially around little kids.
My hair is only BSL but there are beginning to be situations where my hair needs to be up and contained- such as opening hot ovens, ect. I bent down to turn off my son's fan this a.m. and thought of you even though my hair isn't that long it could have been caught in a fan.

I always think of how unrealistic some of these action movies are where the heroines long hair is flying around in battle scenes, in dangerous situations!
Leia's hair in Star Wars was at least more realistic- she always had it up and contained.Right! I guess at least now I will be more careful! And hopefully people who read this thread will too!

Lamb
June 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I am so glad you are okay. :grouphug:
And yes, this is a good warning - someone ought to write an article about long hair hazards.

kdaniels8811
June 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Fans can be scary, years ago I pulled a strip of hairan inch wide and three inches long from my scalp from it getting wrapped up in a fan. Did not cut it, the fan pulled it out!. Had to wear a scarf for months until it grew back in. I don't like fans for some reason... Smile!

marialena
June 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
And of course we must be VERY VERY CAREFUL with candles, fire places, cigarettes and generally fire. Once my hair got fire. It was Easter, a good Friday and I had the totally bad idea to go to church with hair down. The Orthodox now every good Friday keep candles in the church. One of them touched my hair.. and got on fire immediately. Not much but enough to scare me to death..

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Fans can be scary, years ago I pulled a strip of hairan inch wide and three inches long from my scalp from it getting wrapped up in a fan. Did not cut it, the fan pulled it out!. Had to wear a scarf for months until it grew back in. I don't like fans for some reason... Smile!shudder: I can imagine!

I am so glad you are okay. :grouphug:
And yes, this is a good warning - someone ought to write an article about long hair hazards.Thanks! YES! I have read a lot here but having one all together would be good!

And of course we must be VERY VERY CAREFUL with candles, fire places, cigarettes and generally fire. Once my hair got fire. It was Easter, a good Friday and I had the totally bad idea to go to church with hair down. The Orthodox now every good Friday keep candles in the church. One of them touched my hair.. and got on fire immediately. Not much but enough to scare me to death..Another hazard for the thread!

Honestwitness
June 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Curlsgirl, thank you so much for sharing this scary incident as a warning to the rest of us. I haven't had to think of this kind of thing for many years, because I kept my hair short. Now that I'm growing it longer, I'll definitely be thinking about hair safety. What a nightmare you had. I'm so glad you're not permanently injured.

MandaMom2Three - Thanks for sharing about your mother, too. Was the injury to her scalp permanent?

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Curlsgirl, thank you so much for sharing this scary incident as a warning to the rest of us. I haven't had to think of this kind of thing for many years, because I kept my hair short. Now that I'm growing it longer, I'll definitely be thinking about hair safety. What a nightmare you had. I'm so glad you're not permanently injured.

Thanks!!! Me too! I do hope it can keep it from happening to someone else! They make fans now that have smaller holes that prevent this kind of thing from happening.

LittleOrca
June 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Wow, that had to be horrible! I have a rotating fan, but I have not used it since college and the sucking-part always faced the window to bring in the cool air.

I will definitely be more careful if I get it out this year. :) I am glad you got to keep your hair!

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, that had to be horrible! I have a rotating fan, but I have not used it since college and the sucking-part always faced the window to bring in the cool air.

I will definitely be more careful if I get it out this year. :) I am glad you got to keep your hair!

Thanks! People here at work did NOT understand and even thought it was kind of funny :mad: They are all short hairs. I knew you all would understand!

ieiazel
June 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Glups! Rotating fans have always scared me a bit, I think I had a similar experience when I was little and had nearly tailbone hair.

It's scary though, I'm glad nothing worse happened!

ratgirldjh
June 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry... I'm also glad you weren't hurt. Your hair could have been ripped out by the roots or worse!

That must be why they put more cages around newer fans.

I have also noticed my hair getting in things more lately and it is only APL! So I can imagine that waist length hair would really get into things.

Thanks for posting this - I am going to start wearing my hair up more.

Kiraela
June 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yikes! I'm glad you weren't hurt, Curlsgirl! I hope your hair isn't that badly damaged.

I caught a chunk of hair on fire once, at a restaurant that had candles on the table. Ended up having to cut off 4" of my length, because it was completely singed and the damage was so obvious.

Phalaenopsis
June 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yikes, I'm at 'can I call this waist?'-length and I'll learn from your experience, 'cause... yikes!

MandaMom2Three
June 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
MandaMom2Three - Thanks for sharing about your mother, too. Was the injury to her scalp permanent?

I think there is a scar under her hair, but her hair did come back, she never grew it long again though.

adventuring
June 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I had this sort of experience with a rotating vacuum attachment. It was awful. I really feel terrible for you that someone was there offering scissors in your case, but I'm glad your hair is still intact!

Kiraela
June 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Adventuring: Ouch! Were you harmed? Thanks for mentioning that, though. I'm attempting to write an article on hair hazards, and forgot about vaccums.

Maelyssa
June 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Wow that was really crazy. Glad you weren't seriously injured!
That reminds me of my leaning over the Halloween pumpkin & lighting my hair on fire & not realizing it until I smelled the burning moment.
Fans & fire....long hairs beware!

adventuring
June 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Adventuring: Ouch! Were you harmed? Thanks for mentioning that, though. I'm attempting to write an article on hair hazards, and forgot about vaccums.

No, my hair and I were both fine, thankfully. My mother was the one fooling around the with attachment, and she detached it for me.

Firefly
June 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that! I'm so glad you (and your hair) are okay.

feralnature
June 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I have issues with the fly-catcher tapes myself. Out here on the farm, the fly-catchers tapes are the least of my problems.

My hair gets pig "mud" slung onto it about 4 times a day when I go out to water them. The 3 pigs (weight about 280 lbs. each) immediately lay in the water and shake off the mud like dogs as soon as I water them. So me and my hair and face and glasses and everything is covered in pig mud.

Aaaahhh, country living. I won't even get started on my hair issues at milking time with the goats.

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Thank goodness it didn't rip your hair out of your scalp! Yikes that would have scared the beejeesus out of anybody, never mind a member of LHC. Can you imagine if you had to cut it off. I'm so glad it turned out well. Your lovely curls are so pretty.

EdG
June 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
That's very scary. I'm glad you are okay, Curlsgirl! :)
Ed

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Was trying to keep up with the individual posts and got behind but I am so thankful for all of your comments and well wishes!!! You all are the best! :flowers:

Carolyn
Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad you and your hair are fine. You should compare stories with Karen Marie. Those old time fans are scary enough without adding long hair to the mix.

Cinnamon Hair
Close call! I am glad you were able to extricate your hair, mostly intact. We have those tower shaped fans all over the house and they are constantly getting moved around to wherever people are sitting, which usually means they are right where I want to walk. Every time I go by one I have to hold my arm behind my back to keep my hair from getting sucked in. They are scary!

bridgetsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Not quite as scary or painful...but this makes me think of when I was at APL a few years ago and wore it in a ponytail held up with a claw clip. I'm a mechanic, and occasionally used a creeper when going under a vehicle, which forced me to take out the clip. My ponytail would get caught in one of the caster wheels, and I'd have to have someone help untangle me since no matter how I moved, it would get tighter. I've since stopped using creepers.

Oh, how brave we longhairs are in such a dangerous world! :p