PDA

View Full Version : Wedding updos

akka naeda
June 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
My sister is getting married at the end of July, it's an evening ceremony so the dress is black tie. I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can wear my hair:) It's a very simple wedding, just one bridesmaid, so I have no special role, I'm just the bride's sister.

My sticks aren't all that decorative, and with the exception of my Ketylos, they're getting to be on the short side for doing non-plaited updos. Otherwise I have some Ficcare Maximas, again they'll only really hold plaited updos, and a silver pin with a large decorative head which I generally stick into a French plait because it has no holding power. I have no "invisible" pins, and I don't know anywhere in the UK I could buy any which would be strong enough.

I am thinking of buying something from Bijoux Manoel, but I'm a bit bothered they won't do anything strong enough for holding my hair.
Right now my possible do will be French plait on each side of my head, with the end of each plait hidden under the opposite French plaited area. I'd use the fagots par 6 for that, probably they could cope.

Any other suggestions will be welcome:)
BTW I can't buy anything from EBay, or Etsy.

magpielaura
June 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I've made some good "invisable" pins from metal double-ended knitting needles. I bought them in charity shops for next-to-nothing! They could be spray-painted a dark colour to blend in - you can often get car paint in poundshops. The whole thing is so cheap its worth a try to see if you get on with them. I find these very secure - even just one holds my hair (much shorter than yours, but I'm sure with some experimenting you could find the right number and placement to make it work)

Once you've found a good, secure style you can embellish with your shorter sticks, fresh flowers or some of the Bijoux Manoel (those things look lovely I think you should get some anyway!) You might find the BM pins will hold your hair alone with practice, but if you've worked out an invisable way to hold the bun first you can order them in confidence knowing you can use them as embellishment if nothing else.

ETA: I forgot to mention I bent the knitting needles into a "u" shape!

morguebabe
June 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM
A really nice braided bun?
Something like this? I wore this to a wedding http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Morguebabe/bun-1.jpg
I got the instructions from here years ago (this picture is from 2004). I can't remember who posted it so I can't give credit.
But it was like make a half pony tail. Braid that and bun that.
With the hair left hanging, make 4 little braids. Take the two middle braids and wrap them around the bun? Then take the outside little braids and kinda make the hangy things.

velvetcat
June 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
that's beautiful morguebabe.
(I know it's not your hair, but it's a pretty updo anyway)

can you do a logroll and then decorate it?

eresh
June 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I was thinking that too, the logroll, it looks classy with a ficcare I think, or you could put in a decorative comb on eacht side of the roll (I think you can find those in regular shops? not sure)

Or something fancy with braids & accent braids, a ribbon braided in the same colour or matching your outfit.

magpielaura
June 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I like morguebabe's sugestion - the slender accent braids look pretty and show off the length in a subtle way.

morguebabe
June 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
that's beautiful morguebabe.
(I know it's not your hair, but it's a pretty updo anyway)

Actually that is my hair from my aubrun brown days