PDA

View Full Version : Purifying shampoo disaster!

ieiazel
June 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone. Yesterday I decided to wash my hair with a cheapo purifying shampoo that I bought the other day. I meant to use it one every two or three weeks.

At first it went all right, with a nice smell and lather (I'm used to a natural shampoo that doesn't lather so well). Then I put the towel and waited for half an hour to comb my hair. I usually comb it when it's still wet (I know I shouldn't) and shed some hairs (I shed a lot), but yesterday it was the biggest shed in years! I thought my hair was upside down, there were so many roots among the ends of it!! :justy:

Roughly I lost some 80-90 hairs, and I didn't even comb the whole of my head!

The point is I don't know if the purifying shampoos all have the same effect or if it is just my cheap shampoo. Can you help me?

Fethenwen
June 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I think the problem here was that purifying shampoo makes your hair squeaky clean, so the comb must have stuck to your hair better now than on hairs that still have some oil left on them and ripped them off easily.
This is what purifying shampoo does, I don't think there was anything wrong with the shampoo.
It might have been a good idea to not comb it at all while wet, be more careful next time and it will turn out fine.

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Did you not use conditioner? I can't even manage to pull apart tangles when I use SLS and no conditioner. I am shocked that so many people can!

GlassEyes
June 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Did you not use conditioner? I can't even manage to pull apart tangles when I use SLS and no conditioner. I am shocked that so many people can!
That's 'cause you're boderline curly. :p

My sister has pin straight medium-fine hair and uses cones, and she can comb without conditioner.

On topic, it probably just stripped your hair. Maybe try diluting it? Also, the shed could be because you switched suddenly to a mainly-synthetic product. Once your scalp adjusts to something (or ANY part of the body for that matter), and then it's suddenly thrusted with something outside the normal spectrum, it can often cause a reaction for the negative.

Flynn
June 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Between 50 and 80 hairs is norrmal washday shed for me... That's without brushing or combing at all...

Fencai
June 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I agree with the others, by first asking if you used conditioner?
I know when I clarify that I need more conditioner (cone free) and I never comb until dry after a clarify.
I would just be more tender next time :)

manderly
June 8th, 2009, 04:55 AM

You know what? That has never occurred to me! You're probably right! :D

GlassEyes
June 8th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Between 50 and 80 hairs is norrmal washday shed for me... That's without brushing or combing at all...
What's normal for you may or may not be normal for others.

@Manderly: :p

Kirin
June 8th, 2009, 06:34 AM
If you did not use conditioner after, that is likely your problem. In the articles section, I have a hair diagnostic to use clarifying shampoo without conditioner to see what the true condition of your hair is..... but it is NOT meant for anyone to keep their hair in that state. Its only to check the condition of the hair, and then use a treatment afterward.

marialena
June 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM

My sister has pin straight medium-fine hair and uses cones, and she can comb without conditioner.

On topic, it probably just stripped your hair. Maybe try diluting it? Also, the shed could be because you switched suddenly to a mainly-synthetic product. Once your scalp adjusts to something (or ANY part of the body for that matter), and then it's suddenly thrusted with something outside the normal spectrum, it can often cause a reaction for the negative.

I agree with GlassEyes and that is what I was about to write.
When your head is used to a special routine and you suddenly change it, then there is a big possibility to have such a reaction.
Perhaps one of the reasons is this, plus the fact that you didn't used conditioner ( I think that you didn't , if I understood wrongly I apologize). :)

misstwist
June 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Yeah, conditioner. I'm also a 2b/2c and need to use conditioner every time I get my hair wet or it tangles badly. Use some conditioner and comb it out in the shower. You can comb again while damp using a wide tooth comb to avoid disturbing the waves or something a little finer if you want to comb it straight-ish.

These are the combs I use. http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/list.html?categ=222 The shower detangler in the shower with conditioner in my hair. The wet comb later when my hair is just damp, scrunching to activate the wave or just leaving it combed straight-ish.

I also sometimes use the wet comb when I apply a leave in conditioner to dry hair to reactivate the wave, then scrunch. And when applying a heavy oil for conditioning before a wash.

They are inexpensive combs and work well. If you are in the US you can get them at Sally's Beauty Supply, and I imagine other beauty supply chains that actually cater to stylists (not places like Trade Secret, that's more of a chain hair salon that carries a huge product line and I've never seen them there).

heidi w.
June 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hi everyone. Yesterday I decided to wash my hair with a cheapo purifying shampoo that I bought the other day. I meant to use it one every two or three weeks.

At first it went all right, with a nice smell and lather (I'm used to a natural shampoo that doesn't lather so well). Then I put the towel and waited for half an hour to comb my hair. I usually comb it when it's still wet (I know I shouldn't) and shed some hairs (I shed a lot), but yesterday it was the biggest shed in years! I thought my hair was upside down, there were so many roots among the ends of it!! :justy:

Roughly I lost some 80-90 hairs, and I didn't even comb the whole of my head!

The point is I don't know if the purifying shampoos all have the same effect or if it is just my cheap shampoo. Can you help me?

I'm not hearing if you conditioned or not.

What's a "purifying" shampoo supposed to do? Uber clean the hair - -would that then be a clarifying shampoo -- and you didn't condition in addition?

Also, did you detangle while hair is wet? With a comb or brush?

This is very little information upon which to offer a reason.

heidi w.

ieiazel
June 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry for the delay, I was at work!

I did use a conditioner, and one that gives me shine and leaves my hair (and even my hands!)very soft.
I have wavy-curly hair but I had never had problems with tangles before. Yesterday it was tangled, and I can only guess it was because of the shampoo.
I comb my hair with a wide toothed comb, and then I use a little BBB that gives me some more shine. I try to be gentle when combing and brushing, and as a matter of fact I had shed less in the previous days.

Yesterday was brutal, though, and I lost everyhting that I had gained the previous days.

Anyway, I'm having blood tests this week, I don't think it is normal to shed so much for such a long time.

Thanks my ladies!

ieiazel
June 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Edit: I usually put the towel, wait some thirty minutes and then comb my hair and apply a drop of jojoba oil (the hair is wet but not dripping wet). I wait for it to dry and then I comb it again and brush it lightly. If I feel that I need some more moisture, I apply another drop of oil. That's my routine every time I wash my hair, which is arond 3 times per week.

Lamb
June 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
You mentioned it was a cheap shampoo. It is not impossible that you are allergic to an ingredient - it happened to me not long ago. :(
I would not use that shampoo again, go back to your old products and monitor how much hair you lose each wash day.

ieiazel
June 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
It could be an allergy, but the scalp didn't itch at all and it was clean and felt fresh.
I'm only using it once or twice a month, so if next time it happens again I will get rid of it