PDA

View Full Version : Upset About My Hair (I need to get something off my chest)

hazelnut
June 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I just hate my hair at the moment. It seems like it will never grow out to my goal length. I know that there's no "magic answer" to growing hair except for patience and time but I hate that I have to put my shoulder length hair up in a unflattering bun everyday, deal with uncontrollable frizz, damaged curls and extremely thick hair. I just wish it would grow out and finally look like the dream hair I've always wanted since I was 10. I just wanted to rant here because I know you guys have been through this or something similar and maybe have some encouraging words because I'm just really sick and tired of it.:(

Aisha25
June 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry you feeling this way, I know how you feel,I felt same way when my hair was short and puffy sheesh felt like forever to get my hair long but dont worry itll get there soon enough:flowers: Im getting pretty sick of my hair today too:angry: For some reason it wont get clean.

Krystyle
June 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I just hate my hair at the moment. It seems like it will never grow out to my goal length. I know that there's no "magic answer" to growing hair except for patience and time but I hate that I have to put my shoulder length hair up in a unflattering bun everyday, deal with uncontrollable frizz, damaged curls and extremely thick hair. I just wish it would grow out and finally look like the dream hair I've always wanted since I was 10. I just wanted to rant here because I know you guys have been through this or something similar and maybe have some encouraging words because I'm just really sick and tired of it.:(

Sorry sis. Sounds tough but you're right, we all go through it from time to time. My hair hasn't grown in at least a month and a half and it sheds ridiculously. I'm frustrated too. I've tried some essential oils but I'm realizing that my hair was just so damaged that it distracts from the beautiful hair sprouting from my roots. I think I might try the Monistat thing. Have you tried anything topically?

hazelnut
June 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you Aisha25 and Krystyle. To answer your question Krystyle, I haven't tried anything topically. I don't really feel good about using Monistat. I did henna my hair yesterday. But nothing else.

RancheroTheBee
June 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hugs to you. I'm in the same spot right now.

GlassEyes
June 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I've been EXACTLY where you are. I had extremely dye-and-bleach damaged hair when I first joined this site, and I had no idea what to do with it.

If it's damaged and you CAN bun it, that might be the way to go for a while. Protien is good too, and may help (though it started being a pain after I hennaed). Henna practically SAVED my hair from needing to be entirely chopped.

There's any number of things you can do with damaged hair. It just takes time. ): I'm bot at a place where, though the damage isn't ENTIRELY GONE, it's not breaking, not splitting, and is acting like normal hair again.

ReddishRocks
June 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Oh, I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. :( When I was growing out my pixie, I did my best to find something to like about each length phase. Truthfully, there are styles I miss being able to do at each length. I'm a lot happier with my curls since I started co-washing and loading up on leave-in conditioner. It's not for everybody, but I'm experiencing a lot less frizz now.

Hang in there!

marialena
June 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM

One of the same.. I hate how thin and weak look my hair, I'm bored sometimes to deal with them, to have to take so much care not to brake them, ( and they brake sooooo easily), I'm hating to see them in 1000 different hair lengths, that are flying all over..

But .. some people here tell me how beautiful my hair are and how jealous they are about my hair.. and then I think.. Perhaps I'm unfair and there are some here who have worst problems than me.

And perhaps I'm totally not realistic, because even if I ask all these long haired ladies that are our inspirations, they will have to say that they have similar or even the same complaints.

So it seems that best is the enemy of better..:shrug:

But if you think a little about this, is not bad at all. :) Because I think this give us the motivation and the ambition to grow our hair longer.. ;)

Debra83
June 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
We definitely all have days like this....some of us even "multiple-times-a-day" days like this!!! Just don't do anything drastic. Wait two weeks!!!

Carina
June 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I am at that place now to.My hair grows so slowly and it drives me nuts.But my worst enemy is shedding.I tend to shed a lot twice a year so that doesn't make it any easier.On my bad days I just get it up and away so I don't have to see it.

WavyGirl
June 8th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, I do understand. ((hugs)) As you know the key is patience, but it's hard to be patient when you are waiting on something and have nothing else to take your mind off it.

It sounds silly, but I found that measuring, length photos and changing up my updos was a huge help. The measuring proved to me that it actually was growing - something that isn't always obvious when you're checking everytime you take it down if it's longer yet. :silly: The length photos help me to see the improvement in condition - at the time you just look and think it doesn't look very different, but looking back over the months and years it can be impressive. Both of these things can take a lot of time - resizing photos, drawing charts, working out how to upload and making plans are all good distractions from the mirror and a self-critical opinion.

It doesn't sound like you like your bun. Maybe you should not wear it every day for a while. We have plenty of members who always wear their hair down and still reach very long lengths. CO washing and plopping work great for a lot of members with curly hair too.

P.S. Look at youtube for some neat ways to style and care for your hair. The nice thing about looking there is that you realize people spend ages trying to make their hair look like yours because they like it - it helps you to appreciate what you have more.

BrianaFineHair
June 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I too am at the same place in my quest for long hair. At least twice a week, the thought of giving up creeps into my mind. I have fine, thin hair - always have. I don't feel like I look my best with my hair down because it's currently at a troublesome length. It's only about an inch or so past my shoulders, so all I do is pony tails, claw/clip buns, and barrette buns. I remind myself that my first goal is bra strap length.

If you desire long hair, just remind yourself of that and look at how far you've really come. You've worked really hard to get where you are. Press on! :)

GoddesJourney
June 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Years ago, I had dyed my hair a few colors and then bleached it a few times so I could dye it crayola colors. After a couple of years I noticed that my ENTIRE LENGTH felt like straw (no surprise) and growth had come to a screeching halt. Unfortunately, it was about a year before growth rate came up to about normal. I had to cut off about four inches just to start it off, and everything that grew had to eventually be cut off. I was two toned for however long it took to grow out and cut off without having less than APL length hair so I could still tie it back to train. Honestly, dye hasn't touched my hair since then. If it ever does again, it will be henna in case I start going too grey too early.

Yeah, I remember how that feels knowing that your hair isn't growing fast and that everything that grows is just to replace what you're planning to cut off and not to actually increase your hair length. It will pass. Right now you're in it, so it doesn't make you happy. When you pass it, you will be very satisfied with your hair. No worries.

Right now I have about six inches of frizz that needs to eventually go from about a year and something of really damaging water. That will get better too. Everytime I have to do a cut, I mourn the length and praise that the ratio of healthy, shiny hair to embarassing frizz has greatly improved.

Be strong.

Najade
June 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I think almost everyone has those days once in a while. It is very good that you put it here Hazelnut. I know everyone says this and that it isnt really a wonder solution which makes your hair grow right away, but it is the truth...Patience is really the key..
And offcourse, take very good care of your hair...the results may not be visible right away, but if you keep on taking good care of your hair, you will see them in a few months. I am trying to get long hair for years now, and for me it takes ages as well. It is curly and breaks very fast...but keeping hope is very important. And ofcourse, the right haircaire. If we keep that up, we will reach ouer goal length one day!

Heidi_234
June 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I hear you on the unflattering buns. I don't like the look of them either. :( Also, unfortunately for us curlies, hair seems to grow much more slowly than on straighties, as the progress literally curls up and shrinks. So instead of visible inches we get crumpled halfs. :no:
But it's just thoughts, maybe you can forget your hair for some time, maybe you can enjoy the journey instead of waiting for the goal you aim for, maybe it's not that slow as you think. I look at my first LHC length shot (which was about 6 months ago) and I think Holly Molly my hair was so short! :bigeyes: So it grows, and you'll see it happening. :flower:

feralnature
June 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Ah, hazelnut, but you curlies are the ones who end up with such thick glorious manes. Lioness hair. One day you will look at it and it will suddenly be long :)

AnneAdeline
June 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The last 8-10" or so of my hair has previously been bleached (to dye cray colors), so I go through days like this, too. One thing I like to do when my hair seems pitiful and straw-like is S and D. It's calming and I also know that I'm helping the overall condition.

spidermom
June 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
People with cute cuts/styles have bad hair days, too. At last yours is long enough to pull back and bun; you wouldn't have that option if you cut it.