PDA

View Full Version : I have a crazy urge to straighten!

Speckla
June 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have this insane craving to straighten my hair.....:( I just want to see what my color looks like straighten. I got out my round brush and blowdryer and snapped two hairs. That's enough to make me stop. It's not worth the potential damage.

Craving, craving go away....far far away.:poot:

Aisha25
June 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
So do I. I want to see how my hairs looks straight all glossy and the glass shine.

*must stop imagining* cause that one day will sure make alot of damage and ruin all my hard work. Nope never I will not do it!!!:argue:

Longlocks3
June 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I love your hair curly! I would have to put in foam roller alllllll night and then hairspray the crap out of my hair to even get a wave. I wish I had your hair! I think the curl somehow accentuates the coloring of hair. My hair is one long color, yours spirals and shines!

Speckla
June 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Just hearing the *snap* is enough to make me panic. I know I have a lot of hair on my head but I love each and every one as an individual. It's my hairs and not just my hair.

Carolyn
June 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Why not do it once in a great while? Do it, enjoy it, take pics of it, and go back to your waves after the next wash. I never enjoy my hair as much as when I've straightened it.

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm one of those people who's not all that bothered about snapping hairs or causing a little damage every now and then. I straighten my hair with an actual hair straightener maybe six times a year just for fun. Doing it occasionally and making sure you pamper your hair afterwards won't damage it almost at all :)

spidermom
June 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Mine goes straight pretty readily these days. Yours will probably be easier to get straight without damage with more length, so hang in there.

Fractalsofhair
June 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
If you have really curly hair and don't mind a wave, putting it in a ponytail when wet and combing it out with a fine tooth comb is a good idea. Also, a gentle blowdrying on cool for the last few minutes might not be TOO damaging once in a while, but it might also be. Not sure how to get rid of a wave at all, but if you just want to see how it looks with a slight wave, try non heat based methods. My hair is very easily damaged, so I don't suggest a hot iron for hair. Brushing it when dry with a bit of oil might straighten it, though it will be a bit frizzy.
BTW, I love your hair curly, and curly hair looks awesome in my mind. I have sorta wavy, sorta straight, sometimes curly, sometimes stick straight hair that gets annoying! Just decide hair, curly straight or wavy! XD

Tangles
June 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Mine goes straight pretty readily these days. Yours will probably be easier to get straight without damage with more length, so hang in there.

I think there's something to this. When I had waist length a couple years ago, a cool blast with the dryer for a couple minutes got it significantly straighter, whereas when I had shoulder length, I needed to use a brush.

I've still sworn off the dryer until I get to goal, though. :D You might look into the wrapping method. It works for me only sometimes, but when it does work my hair looks like it's been ironed.

SimplyViki
June 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I sort of know what you mean - and I only say "sort of" cause my hair isn't curly like yours is, so it wouldn't be as drastic a change. But I do get that urge sometimes to get perfectly straight, glossy hair - because that's what all the girls around me have (even the long haired ones... for some reason there seems to be an abundance of women/girls with BSL to waist length hair in Miami, maybe more than other places from what I read around here). I resist though... with the help of my extreme inability to handle styling tools :P Congrats on resisting.

CrystalStar
June 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
It's weird how everyone always wants the opposite :p I'd love to have curly hair or wavy hair instead of straight with a couple of kinks, I never feel straight or wavy! :)

I guess it's about wanting a change? :p

Roseate
June 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I flatironed my hair last month, it was really fun! It's so long straightened! I get at least 2 extra inches out of the deal.

It was about 5 days from washday, so I had plenty of natural oils on my hair to protect it, plus I added some coney 'heat protectant' and it really felt just fine afterwards. No sizzle, no crunch, no snap. My hair is pretty sturdy, though, YMMV.

Straightened:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3489027407_3d2cb7bcac_m.jpgwurly: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3591420442_e6f7da224c_m.jpg

MissBiss
June 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It doesn't hurt to straighten your hair once in a while especially if you use heat protectant and proper technique and temperature.

Honey39
June 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Straighten it! I do it now and again, usually when I get my hair coloured - then I take LOTS of pics, and enjoy it. And you know what? I am honestly coming to the conclusion, looking at the pics, that my hair actually looks better curly than straightened. Photos are a wonderful thing - is it strange that I have a hair folder on my computer, and I sometimes look at the slide show of my hair getting longer? I'm a freak, lol...

Speckla
June 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I just had to look at old pictures of my hair straight....ick. Not a good look because my face is too narrow and the hair is blah and lifeless.

Tangles
June 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
But I do get that urge sometimes to get perfectly straight, glossy hair - because that's what all the girls around me have (even the long haired ones... for some reason there seems to be an abundance of women/girls with BSL to waist length hair in Miami, maybe more than other places from what I read around here).

I totally know what you mean! Now, I see girls my age with either wurly (3a-3c) hair or straightened hair--but very rarely do I see people with my hairtype wearing it natural. :shrug:

LadyLongLocks
June 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM
So do I!!! My ends get a little weird and Im thinking of borrowing my daughters straightener!
But I would only do the last few inches, the rest is pretty straight.

MuzicalH3rb
June 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have had crazy urges to straighten my hair lately too, but then realize I am not motivated to do it. So, it works out. Hahah

Carina
June 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I get the urge to straighten my hair a lot to.But I am way to lazy to do it.Besides if I burn my hands on water that is 60 C and a flatiron is 200 C then I just shiver at the thought of putting that much heat on my hair.:shrug:

s_tresses
June 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I ordered a Sedu on Friday. :run: