PDA

View Full Version : Change from buns to ponys (despite the namesake)

Ponytale
June 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I have been under increasing pressure from my friend and colleague to do pony's instead of buns. We are scientists and I look young for my age, so I thought buns was the way to go. She finally said I looked more fun and sleek with a wrapped pony, and that I should stop trying to look older. I said I felt I was not taken seriously, and she said "Yah, Maybe until you open your mouth".

That did it. I wore the low wrapped pony to the last meeting with my casual suit. I felt attractive and sleek. I am now finding ways to keep it "full" all day (mainly smaller bun waves and combing it once in a while).

I didn't like pictures of myself with the bun, I admit. The pony over the shoulder distracts from my face.

Anyone else have friends that helped them create a "look"?

BTW--my name "Ponytale" is only out of lack of originality, not because I was wearing pony's originally!

ps. I am the type who thinks they can make everything, so I would not buy a Topsytail. I asked my husband how to make one and he said--"Just buy one". This silly little thing is a life saver now!

HairColoredHair
June 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
:lol: I would love to have someone try to pressure my into ponytails... They'd stop once I hit them with it a couple times... (I tend to forget it's there and whip my head about... :lol: )

skay
June 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Ponytale, wow, nothing can beat great input and feeling good wearing that style.

A similar thing happened with me:

At work, I was wearing buns mostly (held with a claw clip of some kind). I didn't want to wear 2 English braids because I felt it was too youngish or something (though, like you, I wasn't that crazy about the buns.).

Anyway, everytime I wore it, my co-workers said it looked great. So I think I'm going to wear it more (I'll also wear 2 dutch braids more as well).

I feel more stylish as well (not necessarily youngish) - as I try to wear something a little unique/stylish as well.

Ponytale
June 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Skay,

That is neat. I can totally see your style being original and edgy, but I know I (personally) would have been reluctant to adopt it without "support".

I think feedback can be helpful. I am not sure I always a good judge about my own look. Luckily she was very kind about how I was (I had been wearing buns a long time), but just said she thought the new style more fitting. (She saw it while we were away teaching a course).

HairColoredHair--the mental image of the whip is great.

chelssix
June 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
No direct pressure, but hair accessories as gifts, and compliments about my hair stick styles- I think that means they look good!

sneakybea
June 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
No one (except my mean ol' mom) has tried to get me to wear my hair a certain way, but I've unintentionally had that effect on people myself. My best friend also has waist length hair, and once when I complimented her on her style (rolled back, kind of like Dorothy, but in a ponytail) she said she was wearing it like that for me. I must have said I liked that style!

Debra83
June 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Funny you should start this thread. While nobody has actually said, "Deb, you should wear braids"...this past week and a half I've worn twin braids 3 times...and I cannot believe how many compliments I've had. Really unreal. So, now I think I HAVE to wear them otherwise I'm not looking as good as I could!!! (I did get a few compliments on my half up ponytail though too one day, but now I'm afraid to wear it loose!!! Funny how compliments can also have a not good side effect too!

gmdiaz
June 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I have been under increasing pressure from my friend and colleague to do pony's instead of buns. We are scientists and I look young for my age, so I thought buns was the way to go. She finally said I looked more fun and sleek with a wrapped pony, and that I should stop trying to look older. I said I felt I was not taken seriously, and she said "Yah, Maybe until you open your mouth".

That did it. I wore the low wrapped pony to the last meeting with my casual suit. I felt attractive and sleek. I am now finding ways to keep it "full" all day (mainly smaller bun waves and combing it once in a while).

I didn't like pictures of myself with the bun, I admit. The pony over the shoulder distracts from my face.

Anyone else have friends that helped them create a "look"?

BTW--my name "Ponytale" is only out of lack of originality, not because I was wearing pony's originally!

ps. I am the type who thinks they can make everything, so I would not buy a Topsytail. I asked my husband how to make one and he said--"Just buy one". This silly little thing is a life saver now!

Well, worn up, down or pulled back in a sleek ponytail, your hair is just beautiful. I love the color. And I love your pic of you with the pony!

And that Baerreis looks awesome in your bun! How do you do that style of up do? It's really pretty.

And yep, I've been holding off on getting a topstail but still want one. lol

Nevermore
June 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
gmdiaz: Beware, topsytails don't always work well on iii hair. Mine only works if my hair is divided in half (like if I did topsytailed pigtails) first.

Ponytale
June 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Gmdiaz,
Thank you for the comments! I will remember these in my bad hair days ;).

That bun is actually anchored with a band (one of the terry-material type). That Baerries is wonderful, but is a tad heavy for me to use it alone.

Yah, my mom is currently agreeing with my friend, but she is too sweet to ever make a comment first herself for fear I might take it the opposite way (ie. your hair looked bad before today).

wackyredtangles
June 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
In my beginning LHC and long hair days when my updos were a bit hit or miss DBF told me that my hair looked best down and straight. Now that my updos are looking better, I'm not sure that he notices or cares.

spidermom
June 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
The great thing about long hair is that you have so many options. You're not stuck in a ponytail, or a braid, or braids, or a bun, or any other style. You can rotate them and have many different looks. I got three compliments on a new style I tried a week or more ago, but that doesn't mean I'm going to wear my hair that way all the time.