PDA

View Full Version : Threads on How to Control Fly-Aways/Halos?

LittleOrca
June 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hey there everyone!

I was wondering if we have any threads on how to control the fly-away hairs/halos that appear around our heads from baby hairs or shorter hairs that get caught in the wind easier or refuse to get in my buns.

Other than using hair spray (which I feel gross about using now since joining LHC [and seeing Nightshade's article]), does anyone have any recipes or products or ideas or links to threads that can address this issue?

Thanks! :D

Heavenly Locks
June 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have heard that many use aloe as a holding product :) In a similar way to gel. Perhaps you could mist it on?

mira-chan
June 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Oiling helps me a lot in this. Some people use aloe gel too.

Natalia
June 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I dont know about threads but ive heard good things about aloe as well and aloe based products like aubrey's B-5 design gel. When im braiding i use a little shea butter or oil if the arent too crazy. Good luck

SimplyViki
June 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ditto about the aloe!
I always forget this stuff, but I remembered it today for clinicals in nursing school (I really wanted to look neat and presentable) and my hair looked effortlessly in place - like I just didn't grow flyaways. :D

But not that slicked down, really gelled back look. Actually, specifically to avoid that, I spread just a little bit of aloe vera gel between my palms mixed with a little water to make it thinner, so it was just a slight hold really. I'm sure a good gust of wind would've resurrected the flyaways, though.

swanns
June 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I get fly aways like crazy, it's awful!

What I do is I pour a little jojoba oil on my palm, rub it on the top layers of my hair then pull a comb through it. Doesn't hold for the whole day but for a few hours at least. I guess I should look into aloe as well!

dancingmegs
June 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I don't have links right off the top of my head, but you might try Kimberlily's defrizzing spray. Ask her about it, I'm sure she'll point you in the right direction.

I've also had very good luck with cirtic acid rinses. I mix about 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid with about 32 ounces of water (a big yogurt container) and dump it on my head after I've finished washing my hair.

Misha
June 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I know what you mean about the halo and flyaways! Just a very sheer light oiling with coconut oil has solved this for me.