PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Twist

PhillyGirl1978@
June 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Ok, I have never been great at elaborate up-do's. I like to be able to throw it up and not worry about it. I keep my home made hairstick in my purse all the time and I just put it up in a peacock twist. I was the only style I knew besides a bun and having layers (that I'm trying to grow out) doesn't make the bun very easy or neat. But I am finding that my normal peacock twist leaves much lore "tail" on top of my head than it used to, because my hair is longer now. So how long were you guys able to wear that style, is there a certain length where it just won't work anymore? I am past BSL inching to waist. Are there maybe some tricks for adjusting the style so that it will work with any length?

Calista
June 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Have you tried a French Twist? It is very similar to a Peacock Twist, but it hides the extra length within the roll, if that makes sense.

Periwinkle
June 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I can't get peacock twists to work at all; my hair is too long and thick and has been since it was much, much shorter. Think yourself lucky you've got it to work this long :D

Try these:
- Make the twist as low on your neck as possible, possibly by pulling the pony away from your head a bit and doubling back to twist, so there's a section hanging down on your nape that isn't twisted
- Make it looser, then fold a little of the hair back down into it like you're doing a full French twist (I've seen this work, but I can't get it to work on my thick hair so you might also have trouble)
- Secure it higher up (you may find a ficcare or something similar will secure that easier than a hairstick)
- Secure it lower down and possibly looser (this won't shorten the tail of course, but it will make it flop over more or be lower so it won't stick out the top of your head like a pineapple)

Kina
June 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I miss being able to wear my hair up this way. I haven't found any way to do it with mine, which is now at waist length.

rach
June 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
i gave up after APL , i do a french twist these days . but i've found more new styles open to me as it's got longer.

Madame J
June 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
If you look at the Flexi-8 website at their hairstyle tutorials, they have a style called "Up and Down" that looks really similar to a peacock twist, but tucks the ends down so they don't fall all over the place.

PhillyGirl1978@
June 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't see the peacock twist working once I get to waist. I do think maybe starting it lover down and not putting the stick up as high might work or maybe doing the low pony thing and twisting the length around itself and then putting the stick in if that makes sense. I just love my hair sticks and love that I can make them with chinese food chopsticks and get paint them to match whatever outfit I have. SO I am gonna try to keep using them, not to mention I don't get the dents that I get from using a scrunchi. I actually don't know how to do a french twist!lol

Calista
June 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
If you are interested in learning, take a look at Madeleine´s website (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html). She´s the queen of French Twisting!