PDA

View Full Version : I have to cut my hair?!

abritta3
June 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Sooo my sister pointed out that I have these white dots towards the ends of my hair...unfortunately, there are about 2inches up my hair shaft.
I am so upset because I think it is some sort of breakage...I really, realllllly do not want to cut my hair because 2inches will take 4months to grow back :(
I have only been washing my hair with organic conditioner and leaving in jojoba oil...I think this damage is previous damage...but I am worried it is climbing up the hair shaft...
Should I cut it and just start with healthier ends? :(
Or is it possible to just keep going with my routine? Afterall, I am extremely gentle with my hair...and I wear it up 90% of the time.
Adviceee please thank you so much!!

Kiraela
June 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Relax, hon, there's no need to cut! I would recommend going out and splurging on a good pair of hair cutting scissors (I got mine at dollar tree for $1, but that was sheer dumb luck), and doing an S&D (or several, if you have a short attention span like me). Sit in an area with really good light and trim out the dots and split ends one at a time as you find them. It takes time, but you keep your length. Your routine does not seem like it is the problem - hair just naturally will end up with at least a little bit of damage simply from sheer wear and tear. It's not your fault, it is a fact of life. S&Ding will definately help - no splits, no white dots, means no traveling up the shaft.

spidermom
June 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Damage can spread up the hair shaft; I've seen it happen. If a high percentage of your hair looks damaged and has the white dots, I'd recommend you do the cut. Your hair will seem to grow much faster if it isn't breaking off at the bottom. And it doesn't necessarily grow back at 1/2 inch per month, either. I once documented 1-1/4 inch growth in 3 weeks.

abritta3
June 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thank you for the replies...I looked at my ends a little better and they do look pretty horrid...I am so shocked...:( and devastated but I guess I can start over
Any one suggest any good supplements for extra growth? I normally get 1/2in a month but I just started taking GNC Ultra nourishair at the end of last month...

lora410
June 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, that is where your hair will break off. Damage happens unfortunately. If it were me I would just trim the 2 inches off then risk the damage going even further up the shaft.

I heavily oil all of my hair atleast 2 times a week on my wash days. I noticed when I slacked off for a few weeks my hair got dry on me.

spidermom
June 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
With a goal of 40 inches, which is 3/4 of an inch longer than my last length measurement, you're looking at growing your hair for about 2 more years. In the long view, cutting 2 inches now won't make a lot of difference. Or you could cut 1 inch now and 1 inch in another 2 months. Or maintain your current length by cutting 1/2-inch per month for the next 4 months. There are many options, and choosing one is up to you. Give your hair some special pampering and wear it in protective styles; the damage won't spread too fast.

yogachic
June 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I had the white spots and I would S&D and they just seemed to reappear. I recently cut about 12 inches off, and my hair is totally clear of splits at this time, for how long I'm not sure.

Blue Willow
June 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I've had to make such a choice almost 2 years ago. I had to cut 4 to 5 inches off because of damage, I hated doing it but ultimately realized it would just get worse if I put it off, so I did it and although I wasnt happy I had to, I'm very happy I did it as now I'm not fretting/or dealing with splitty ends..It was worth it! So my advise is to bite the bullet and do it now so your hair damage doesnt creep to consume more of your length..which it will if you try to keep it.

CaityBear
June 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
My hair was just HIDEOUS a while ago. I had crazy split ends and they were travelling upwards. I did a deep treatment and then it looked healthy again. It seemeds to glue together the split ends for a while. But a couple days ago I cut off about an inch.

Personally, I would rather lose that little bit and start growing again with healthy ends then have the split ends travelling upwards and damaging more and more of my hair.

windinherhair
June 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I agree that if there is a small amount of split ends then the S&D would be fine, but if you are finding they are everywhere then cutting your hair isn't going to hurt. It will grow out before you know it! You may miss the extra length in the beginning, but I bet you will be happy with the results. Afterall, if you are wanting to continue to grow then you want it to be healthy growth.

I just replied to a post by "janeytilllie" where she cut her hair to even the hemline and layers, and the results were stunning. Sure, she lost length but it looks wonderful! And she still growing. :)

enfys
June 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
If it's previous damage and you've changed your routine then it's quite likely it won't happen again if you do cut these ends off now.

With so much damage I'd bite the bullet and cut it now, because splits aren't repairable really.

If they are a problem that happens time and time again have a look at the catnip thread in with the recipes bit, or look for the article. Lots of us have had succes with this.