PDA

View Full Version : Shedding -- A sign of healthy hair?

bahannas
June 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I've noticed that, ever since I started really caring for my hair, I have been losing more of it (typically about 15 visible strands per day). When I blowfryed/straightened/curled (AKA tortured my hair), I never saw any shedding. I know this isn't breakage because I only shed after gently finger combing or while rinsing out my conditioner - no snaps, crackles, or pops. My hair has definitely gained some length (APL), so I think that might be a big contribution. My question is: Is shedding a sign of healthy hair? Is my personal shedding simply due to an increase in length, or is my new hair care routine finally giving my hair a chance to do its natural "thing?"

Lamb
June 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Well, shedding is a natural thing, can't tell whether it's healthy or not to lose more hair than before though.
Is it possible that pre-LHC, you simply werent's that observant of how many hairs you lose on a daily basis?
Also consider the possibility that a new hair care product might not agree with your scalp, causing you to shed more. But 15 hairs a day is nothing to worry about. :)

bahannas
June 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I definitely wasn't as observant before joining LHC... My hair was much, much shorter too, so the hairs probably weren't as noticeable. :)

This has been happening throughout my last 3 hair products, so I don't think thats a factor. I guess shedding is just something I'll have to get used to again. My hair hasn't been long in 4 years. ;)

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
15 hair a day is not shedding.. !! Lamb is right .. you don't shed more than before, you just noticed how many hair you loose every day. :)

CaityBear
June 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'd agree it's just you noticing it. I have forced my mom to grow out her hair. She started with really, really short hair. Like an inch or two long and now that it's longer (longer than shoulder length I think) she's really noticed the shedding a lot more.

davidvs
June 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hair follicles naturally turn on an off, each going through a cycle lasting 3-4 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

With long hair it much more noticeable when follicles turn off and each has a hair come out.

SimplyLonghair
June 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I agree that you most likely are just beginning to notice the hair at your new length! Happy growing! :D

Heavenly Locks
June 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I'll have to agree with the others. Your new length and attention are making you more aware of your shed hairs. :) Welcome to the 'club'?

Congrats on your growth too! :disco:

bahannas
June 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone! :p

davidvs, that was a cool article! Thanks for sharing!

rhubarbarin
June 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I think 15 hairs a day is a freakishly low shed rate. I lose 100-150.

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think 15 hairs a day is a freakishly low shed rate. I lose 100-150.

Ooooh yes I lose much more than that too.

bahannas
June 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM
My hair is pretty thin, and only APL. I guess the less you have, the less you loose. :o

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I've read that 100 shed per day is healthy, but if more than that, consider going to the doctor and find a solution into putting hair back into healthy gear! I only loose between 5-20 hairs per day, and it is consider healthy! You can google about the hair shedding part and find answers of how much piece of hair strand to shed is consider healthy!