PDA

View Full Version : Build Up From Soaps vs. Detergents

Maelyssa
June 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Not sure this is the right place for the post BUT...

I'm curious to know the details on build-up as well as ph balance from soaps & soap-based shampoos as well as regular sls-free shampoos.

I've read through a few different posts on the forms about it but so far I'm only coming up with opinion or personal experience but what are the facts on the two types of cleansers?
I ask because I've found a few new shampoos I want to try but I've seen comments from forum members that they are 'soap-based' so they won't use them due to build-up & such. One example is I think called Alaffia just to name one.

Are they are any facts or articles on this I'm simply not finding?
I'm struggling between things either drying my scalp out or causing buildup.

Any help is appreciated!

Speckla
June 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Soaps are fat/oil based and can cause buildup. Detergents are made of different stuff and basically just strip.

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Soap or soap based shampoo can't build up on your hair if you use them properly. I use just olive oil soap, sometimes in bars form and sometimes in liquid form that I make from soap flakes and I had never had problem with build up on my hair.

The build up is caused by the minerals that tap water has. So you either have to use filtered water or to use after your wash an slightly acidic rinse in order to clarify your hair and remove any remains of the soap from them, ( that hard water can't remove properly). Soap can clean quite softly hair and never strips them totally from the natural oils that have. And by the time that is not needed to use conditioners, hair gradually gain in moisture and strength.

Now. I don't know the ingredients of sls free shampoos; after all anyone of them has a different list of ingredients. But generally, most of them have synthetic substances who work as detergents on your hair stripping them from their natural oils something that after long use makes hair weaker and less strong.

Personally I didn't want to go on in this circle of stripping everything from my hair in order to replace it with something synthetic.

This damaged my hair and made them dry and weak.. in any case and in the long run made no good on my hair.
But this is my personal opinion. Other users claim that sls free shampoos are quite fine for hair. I think that it has to do sometimes with the type of hair that you have. :)

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I use Alaffia and it works wonderfully! Soap based is an issue if you have hard water and do not use a vinegar rinse. (As soap can bond with the minerals) Alaffia has never built up on my hair, but if build up starts to occur, one can simply use for one wash, an SLS/detergent based shampoo, and then follow with the regular routine. Alaffia conditioner contains Citric acid, which does the same thing as a vinegar rinse, so if you use their conditioner(or most for that matter) you shouldn't have much of a problem. However, you can use filtered water or collected rainwater if you want to. Shampoos with detergents can overstrip hair causing damage, and soap based ones can change the PH of hair causing damage. Conditioner/rinses fix both of those problems, for most people. Not everyone will have problems with the PH if they rinse out all of the soap fully, since water has a pH of about 7, which is slightly higher but not much so than is ideal for hair(6.5 is said to be ideal, but 7 is fine). I LOVE Alaffia, feel free to PM or write on my profile if you have any questions! It's very moisturizing and great for dry hair! My scalp feels wonderful after using it, and my hair looks shiny and bouncy but without being dry or frizzy.

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Soap or soap based shampoo can't build up on your hair if you use them properly. I use just olive oil soap, sometimes in bars form and sometimes in liquid form that I make from soap flakes and I had never had problem with build up on my hair.

That's not entirely true. Anything used on hair can build up, and there are ingredients in soaps that can build up when used, like cocoa butter or other oils. Detergents mainly just strip the hair, so they have a tendency NOT to build up, but other ingredients in them (such as cones) can also build up.

While I'm at it, I'll state that anything natural, just like synthetic, can cause build up. :flowers: