PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong or right with silicone hair products?

rach
June 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
i'm confused, some people say there hair loves cones and some stay clear.
i don't understand the science? and why it works for some and not others?

and is there a problem with it in the "Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream"? ( i made some and i was different cone rather than bog standard dimethicone)

i am confused, please can you guys shed light on this.....:confused:

thanks

Sarah4983
June 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Amen sister!! I have the same ?s.....

Kiraela
June 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think it is because silicones can hide damage, and eventually build up on hair, leading to tangly, unpleasant ends. I know that for my hair, I have to have cones, at least right now. Otherwise my ends would be so horrible that I'd have to cut about a foot of hair off. As long as you clarify regularly, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

teela1978
June 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Everyone has rather different hair, local water quality, washing techniques and weather. All of those factors lead into whether your hair likes cones or not. I like cones. I have no problems with my hair on cones, I find it easier to detangle and shiner than without (even using oils). Others have the opposite problem, they find that cones make their hair more difficult to detangle and duller. It's really something you have to try for yourself, and in my opinion really down to personal preference. If you're using cones and have no hair issues, keep on using them. If you feel like experimenting then go for it.

redneckprincess
June 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
my hair literly asks for cones and cries without them. its your own personal decision try a few weeks of both and see what you (and your hair) like best ♥

rach
June 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
so far my hair is reacts well to CO washing which i've been doing for 7 months or so with the odd exception when i've over oiled my hair, i'll shampoo before hand which leaves it fluffy so i don't like to do it. catnip i've tried recently which has made it really soft and seems less fluffy and i've not had to use so much oils in my hair since. as for the ends of my hair i can't judge them yet as they have had a hard time in the past before i joined here (flat ironed and high/low lights). henna also i have been using since i joined.
i'm seeing if i can help from any other angles to get my hair to like me enough to stop split ending some day. :o

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM
For cones and my hair, they seal OUT oils and moisture and must be removed with a harsh detergent, which strips my hair of the oils I put in it due to my SEVERE lack of natural ones. As a result, cones lead to my hair hiding damage, but breaking off and getting damaged! However, for many people they work fine, and if you have shorter hair than mid back, cones are generally a great idea, esp if you heat style as they help to hide the damage. Natural oils that sink into my hair shaft work really well for me. If you're not using shampoo, a cone conditioner will most likely build up and hurt your hair, the same with if you use soap on your hair as opposed to a detergent.

Heidi_234
June 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Personally, I avoid silicones because I don't use SLS shampoos. If I can avoid clarifying by avoiding something that my hair doesn't necessarily needs, then I'll sure will avoid. 'Cones seal the hair and may block moisture, and SLS is rather harsh and dries hair out. My hair is so prove to dryness I would prefer to keep both parties out away from my hair, that's all.

Darkhorse1
June 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't find cones hide anymore damage than any other product. The bottom line in regards to damage is that you have to cut damaged ends. I find cones soften my hair/ends very nicely (products with dimethicone) and as I work outdoors, my hair needs the protection.

I find that some people's hair just doesn't like dimethicone, so some people stay away from it. I've never had a problem, but have learned here if my hair feels weighed down, it's cone overload and I swap conditioners for awhile.

Igor
June 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Nothing is wrong with ‘cones. It just doesn’t work for some people. Others cant live without them

Periwinkle
June 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You might want to check out this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) :)

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
If you don't mind read this. Is one of the articles that explain very well how shampoos and conditioners work on hair.

http://100777.com/health/shampoo

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
marialena, just felt like saying that your link doesn't work! I'm using firefox, what are you using?

Maelyssa
June 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
You might want to check out this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) :)

I'm so glad this aritcle was rehashed because for about the umpteenth time I'm going through the personal debate of to cone or not to cone.

rach
June 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
ok, thank you for those i shall give the a good reading through tomorrow. i really need to go to sleep now.
thanks guys :D

spidermom
June 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
If you are curious about cones versus no cones, or shampoo versus soap, your experience is as good as anything you are going to find on the internet. If I knew how to post a link, I could show you several articles that explain why soap is bad for hair and shampoo is not. I hate soap (it's slimey!) and like shampoo and shower gels, so that is what I use, and I believe articles that support my preference, as most of us do.

For me, cones seal in moisture and make my hair far less tangly. I wash with shampoo (diluted), which removes cones, so no worries.

I also like the way aloe vera gel and oil make my hair feel and behave. I alternate the use of coney serum with AVG/oil every other wash day so that I can get the benefits of both.

rach
June 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13 and http://100777.com/health/shampoo
makes a good read. i shall put some thought into it.
shampoo i knew nothing about which was interesting , it explains why i've been seeing soap nut posts around here.

Heavenly Locks
June 6th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Remember, that when trying something 'new' with your hair...a month is a good amount of time to try it out before you dismiss it and move on to something else :) Your hair needs an adjustment period for you to get accurate results. ;)

Katze
June 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
and is there a problem with it in the "Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream"? ( i made some and i was different cone rather than bog standard dimethicone)

i am confused, please can you guys shed light on this.....:confused:

thanks

As far as I understand the recipe for Fox's Conditioning Cream, it is something you mix yourself. I use Lavera conditioner, shea butter, and coconut oil - no 'cones at all.

I'm another one whose hair can deal with 'cones but whose scalp doesn't seem to get along with them - they seem to contribute to dandruff and crusties. I do occasionally use them, but not very often.

rach
June 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
thanks Heavenly Locks for that advice . shall do :D

Michele
June 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I for one , think my hair really needs cones. My hair is really fine and thin and prone to breakage. I did the no cone routine for a few months, and noticed increased splitting of the hairs! So right now i'm back to cones, but i use no cone products as well. It really is different for everyone..

EdG
June 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I don't like silicones because they make my hair feel heavy. I have coarse hair that doesn't break easily.

As always, your mileage may vary. I think one's hair type influences whether one will have good luck with cones. :)
Ed

rach
June 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
well it looks like i've found a new cone :D

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/other/SDC11534.jpg
escenti tea tree childrens head lice repellent detangling conditioner -

ingredients: Aqua, glyceryl stearate, cetearyl alcohol, melaleuca alternifolia, cetrimonium chloride, panthenol, quaternium -80, benzyl alcohol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid, tocopheryl acetate, d-limonene.

Kiraela
June 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
That has confused me for a while. if it ends in -one, is it a cone? or only -cone?

Michele
June 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I do not think methylchloroisothiazolinone is a cone.. They're something like preservatives..
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloromethylisothiazolinone

I do know cones also come in '-conol' or '-xane'..

teela1978
June 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
well it looks like i've found a new cone :D

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/other/SDC11534.jpg
escenti tea tree childrens head lice repellent detangling conditioner -

ingredients: Aqua, glyceryl stearate, cetearyl alcohol, melaleuca alternifolia, cetrimonium chloride, panthenol, quaternium -80, benzyl alcohol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid, tocopheryl acetate, d-limonene.

Michelle is right. Those are both preservatives.

rach
June 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
ok thanks for clarifying things :D

marialena
June 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
marialena, just felt like saying that your link doesn't work! I'm using firefox, what are you using?

I'm using firefox too and works to me.. Did you try to copy paste the link? :)

Fractalsofhair
June 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Just tried copying and pasting it and it works! But clicking on the link didn't...?

marialena
June 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Just tried copying and pasting it and it works! But clicking on the link didn't...?

I really don't know what's causing this. Perhaps the system does not open properly the url. I really don't know. :confused::)

Fractalsofhair
June 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Who knows! Could just be how slow my internet can be!

Sarah4983
June 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm on day 5 of no 'cones... I used Nutri-ox shampoo and conditioner only on the roots and Cholesterol on the length twice.... a few days ago and then again this morning.

My hair feels gross, still.

But- I'm going to give it a good week or two and see if it gets any better.

Maybe the Cholesterol is too much for my hair?

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
You probably need to shampoo the length. Just oil/Cholesterol is going to be too much. (Even for my hair, and I have EXTREMELY dry hair)

JamieLeigh
June 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Ultimately it all boils down to which way your hair seems to be the healthiest. Personally, my hair works better without. For one thing, I'd rather see my damage up front and deal with it like I should, instead of covering it up with silicone. It saves me a lot of trouble in the long run, lol. For another, I really love my waves, and -cones seriously weigh my hair down and straighten it.

spidermom
June 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
[URL=http://What is the difference between soap and shampoo?[/URL]

In response to the links about why soap is better than shampoo, what about this? It describes how the high alkalinity of soap gradually breaks down the proteins that make up hair, and thus shampoo is better.

I don't know why my link didn't work. They never do. Oh well, if you're curious about the other side of the soap versus shampoo controversy, you could enter the above sentence into your search engine.

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Soap is definitely alkaline, but if you use a vinegar rinse, it restores the pH of the hair. For me, detergents are too harsh for my hair(even gentle ones as they remove more oil than soap) so soap works best. However a mild detergent might work well for many people, and soap on it's own, if not balanced with a rinse and without being superfatted, is quite harsh. Those problems are pretty simple to correct though.

EvaSimone
June 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
It's all about how someone likes their hair and how cones vs. no cones affects the health of the hair.

For some people they don't notice problems with dryness or buildup with cones. Others have issues.

I used to use cones and had split ends, dryness, and flat hair.

I've been cone free for around fourteen months and I prefer my hair without cones. It looks nicer and has more body, it's not nearly as dry and I don't have nearly as many split ends as I used to at shorter lengths while using cones.

I also prefer no cones because it's simpler... I don't have to worry about clarifying every so often to make sure that I am able to get moisture to my hair. I know that if I use a moisturizing leave in my hair is getting the moisture, no clarifying necessary.

I think everyone should give cones vs. no cones a try and see what they like better neither one is better than the other.

It does seem that those people who have badly damaged hair truly have a need for cones because they add protection to the strands that would otherwise break. I wouldn't recommend no cones for someone who had just finished bleaching the heck out of their hair or stripping it; their have been a few times I have been tempted to use cones on the last few inches of my hair. :twocents:

GlassEyes
June 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm on day 5 of no 'cones... I used Nutri-ox shampoo and conditioner only on the roots and Cholesterol on the length twice.... a few days ago and then again this morning.

My hair feels gross, still.

But- I'm going to give it a good week or two and see if it gets any better.

Maybe the Cholesterol is too much for my hair?
I'd use conditioner on the length, and no cholesterol.

Might be a protein overdose.

As per cones, they can coat the shaft and block moisture, but they can also lock it in. For me, personally, I can go with or without, but certain cones/conditioners with cones make my hair go ballistic. Off cones, my hair is less slippery (thought not much), but less frizzy, and curls better.

Some can notice problems with cone build up. Girlcat, for example, has fine hair that broke off because cones build up EASILY on her hair, and llocked out moisture, causing breakage. From personal experience, cone build-up make my hair feel like plastic, like doll hair.

However, cones can also smooth and temporarily knit ends, and somewhat prevent split ends by putting a protective barrier between the elemtns and the shaft. It's just when they build up/the hair dries out underneath that they can become a problem.

Cone build up is easily removed, but you have to use an SLS shampoo to do so. SLS dries my and many others' hair out, and can cause damage from drying. However, with cone usage, ti will remove the build up, and cones can be used again.

Whether or not you use cones is a personal choice, really. Oil can be used as a substitue, and is easier to remove than cones, so some prefer going that route. Others don't. :shrug:

teela1978
June 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I actually have a bit of a theory that the porosity of your hair (e.g. how likely for the cuticle to open up) is what makes hair like/dislike cones. In my head it makes sense. Curlies tend not to like cones, curly hair is usually more porous. It's something that varies a lot among hair types, and it would explain how some 1c/m/ii head love cones while others hate them.

Plus, it seems like if the cuticle is a bit open, shoving a cone in there is just gonna keep it open and cause issues. If it's flat, wrapping it in cones is gonna keep it closed and extra shiny.

Anyway, that's my slowly developing theory on cone-preference :)

ETA: although this doesn't really cover different types of cones... which also affects things. My hair seems to prefer certain cones over others.

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hmm, the porosity thing also makes sense, since my hair holds on to semi perm dye very well. It's probably more porous, which explains why cones don't work too well.

teela1978
June 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hmm, the porosity thing also makes sense, since my hair holds on to semi perm dye very well. It's probably more porous, which explains why cones don't work too well.

And my hair does not take dye well at all, a friend and I (similar starting hair color) both tried to go blonde when I was 22 or so. She got lovely blonde hair, I got auburn. Cones do lovely things to my hair, keep it from drying out and keep it shiny :cloud9:

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
On my part, cones dry out my hair horribly. However, I also have very little natural oil production, so that's probably the real reason!

Pegasus Marsters
June 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Think of it this way, hair is as individual as the person it is attached to.

For example, I personally love broccoli. Whereas you may hate broccoli. Same concept works for our hair... mine loves cones, but yours might hate it! You just have to do some trial and error to work out what exactly your hair likes.