PDA

View Full Version : Should I take the leap and cut it? Warning big pictures!

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I’m thinking of cutting my hair tonight. I am thinking of cutting 4-6 inch off *gulp*:eek:. The reason being I hate my layers.
My shortest layer is finally waist!:cheese: And I also said that once my short layers hit waist I will cut it all even.

I do love having long hair. But I never let my hair down because I do feel my hair is kind of ugly and I am sick of my little tail piece.

Also S+D is a huge pain with layers and doing moisture treatments trying to get it all on even.

Also tonight I was looking through my hair diary pictures and I am sure my thinness is moving up!

Here’s my hair last month

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=39220

And here’s my hair now 5 June 2009

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=40886

Does anyone else think the thiness is moving up?

Here’s two very badly photoshopped pictures of what my hair would look like cut.
WAIST
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=40885

BSL
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=40884

Any opinions and advice would be most welcome :) Thank you everyone! :flowers:

Heavenly Locks
June 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
If your goal is a thicker hemline, I think it would be easier to achieve this with a "to waist'' cut and maintain there for a little while rather than going all the way back to BSL. :)

I too would get frustrated with ends that I felt needed tidying and made me feel like my hair didn't look it's best.

:flowers:

spidermom
June 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
It's too hard for me to tell from those pictures whether or not the thinness is moving upward. I do think that a trim would make your hair look even more pretty than it already does, though. Don't go shorter than waist length. You can maintain there for 2-4 months to thicken those ends a little more if the first trim doesn't do it. Good luck! You have lovely hair.

Lamb
June 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
"I do love having long hair. But I never let my hair down because I do feel my hair is kind of ugly and I am sick of my little tail piece."

For me, this would be the moment to trim a few inches - what's the point of long hair if you can't enjoy it?
But, as spidermom said, don't go shorter than waist, that would be enough to get rid of damage/fairytale ends. Good luck!

Fairlight63
June 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Well, I will give my 2 cents, haha

First off, I think that your hair is beautiful. Your hair is so long, that I think that if I was you that I would trim it to the picture of waist length. I think that it would get rid of the thin areas & thicken up your ends.
If you still don't like it you can always cut more off to the BSL. But once cut off you can't add it back on so fast, you have to wait for it to grow back.

MandaMom2Three
June 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I agree. I would take a little off, thicken up the ends a little and see how it goes :)

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
[quote=Heavenly Locks;617757]If your goal is a thicker hemline, I think it would be easier to achieve this with a "to waist'' cut and maintain there for a little while rather than going all the way back to BSL. :)

I too would get frustrated with ends that I felt needed tidying and made me feel like my hair didn't look it's best.

I do indeed get frustrated with my ends. I have been like this for a long time now. It's lovely weather now but I don't feel good with my hair down which kinda defeats the purpose of having long hair IMHO. Even bunning is getting really difficult.

Thank you for your advice :flowers: I think going back to BSL would kill me! :eek:

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It's too hard for me to tell from those pictures whether or not the thinness is moving upward. I do think that a trim would make your hair look even more pretty than it already does, though. Don't go shorter than waist length. You can maintain there for 2-4 months to thicken those ends a little more if the first trim doesn't do it. Good luck! You have lovely hair.

I think I will be brave and go waist length. And keep up regular trims to hopefully and finally get rid of the thiness.

Thank you for the hair compliment :) and
thank you for your wonderful advice! :flower:

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'd cut to waist if it bothers you, and then maintain there if you feel the need.

jivete
June 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I think your hair might look thinner just because of the way it's clumping. I would trim, but I wouldn't go shorter than waist and I'd start with less. Maybe trim off the "tail", see how you like it and then trim more if you want.

I have a similar dilemma although my hair isn't quite as long. Your hair is beautiful and I think you'll enjoy it a lot more with the ends cleaned up.

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
"I do love having long hair. But I never let my hair down because I do feel my hair is kind of ugly and I am sick of my little tail piece."

For me, this would be the moment to trim a few inches - what's the point of long hair if you can't enjoy it?
But, as spidermom said, don't go shorter than waist, that would be enough to get rid of damage/fairytale ends. Good luck!

I have been thinking the same what's the point of having it long if I feel bad wearing it down. I would love swoosh my hair with confidence :D

Thank you for your advice :flowers: It's greatly appreciated :)

Deborah
June 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with the others. I think you will be much happier once you have cut your hair to waist length. Your lovely hair will be even more beautiful. :)

Heidi_234
June 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Don't cut above waist (!).
I'm in a similar situation/dilemma. The bulk of my hair is about waist length, and I have few 'rat tails' from the nape area (if you won't comb your hair after washing you'll have them too :p) 2"-3" inches longer. One one hand, it's almost silly to hold on to them, but on the other hand they're brushing hip, and that's the part of my hair I really like (because it's long!).
I feel you pain, having seemingly long hair but very thinned hemline, or cutting back to waist but having a healthy thicker hemline which would make you proud.
Anyway, I think you should cut 1"-2" below waist. In the second picture, next to your right hand there's a long strand which ends before the middle one. I'll cut 1/4" above it, it would thicker the hemline enough to make you enjoy your hair again, but save you 1"-2" of growing back, which is alot!
Up to you. :flower:

Peter
June 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
From what you said, I would suggest trimming your ends to thicken your hemline. Your hair is beautiful either way, but if you're happier without the thin ends, then go for it. :)

hennaphile
June 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
You have lovely hair no matter what you choose to do. Personally I like the second photo, because it gives you nice fairytales ut makes it a tad more even.

Jason
June 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think losing some length to thicken your ends would be worthwhile at this point as you're not happy with how it currently is. I think your hair is beautiful and a thicker hemline would add to its appeal.

wintersun99
June 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM

redneckprincess
June 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I say yes go for it, if you intende to have a thicker hemline, Ifrom what I can see and dont get me wrong your hair is goergous but if you cut off about a years worth of growth thats not too awful drastic for the leingth your at right now, but enough to help you achieve the final thick unlayered ends you want. Good lick and post pictures if you decide to go ahead with it...Im sure at somepoint (2 or 3 years down the line) I will have to cut off about 6 inches...but for me thats some time off I want it to hurry and get long then ill back off and cut out any layers (i think who knows ill cross that bridge if i ever get there ♥

Kiraela
June 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
If you are unhappy with your hair and think a trim would be the solution, then definately, trim it! The goal of having long hair is to love your hair long, right? If you don't love it, then do what you have to to get back to that state.

Good luck!

Periwinkle
June 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If I were you, I'd aim for a trim to a little below waist (to account for overzealousness) and then see how that goes. Even a small trim can make a huge difference to the way your hair looks and feels, so you might feel happy with that without going all the way back to BSL.

I know firsthand what a &*#@£$! pain it is to grow out layering, so bravo to you for having the guts to go for a big cut :D I envy ya.

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I want to thank you all so much for all your wonderful advice and support! Flowers for everyone! :D :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

I have a rather big shock for you all! I'm still in shock!

I will post a picture tonight on a new thread. I can't post a picture just yet due to my mobile is on charge at the moment. It's a real shocker!!!! :agape: :shudder:

brok3nwings
June 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I would say trim it until waist and then mantain until the ends are all even,
I think you have such a lovely hair and IMO it would be even better with that trim, just dont trim too much !

Maelyssa
June 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
You do have really nice length there.
But the cut, well it's up to you as to what look you want to achieve.
If you want a fuller hemline than I think cutting ONLY TO WAIST will definitely help achieve that then maintain with microtrims for a few months helping to further even out the layers as well as letting some growth happen.

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I would say trim it until waist and then mantain until the ends are all even,
I think you have such a lovely hair and IMO it would be even better with that trim, just dont trim too much !

Thank you for the advice :flowers:

My layers were quite bad and thin and I had alot of layers above waist. My layers were also badly split damged adn beyond repair. For a good year I tried saving them but no avail. So I did a trim...well sort of.... well a cut!! :eyebrows: I will post pictures tonight. Thank you again :)

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
You do have really nice length there.
But the cut, well it's up to you as to what look you want to achieve.
If you want a fuller hemline than I think cutting ONLY TO WAIST will definitely help achieve that then maintain with microtrims for a few months helping to further even out the layers as well as letting some growth happen.

Thank you for the lovely hair compliment :)

I went above waist. For a good year I have been struggling an endless fight with layers. And looking at my hair diary pictures tonight of the past year I couldn't see improvment. So I had a cut :cheese:

Thank you again for your advice :flower:

Heavenly Locks
June 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh Janeytillie! :) I can't wait to see! :) :disco: Yay for hair that you are more happy with!

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Oh Janeytillie! :) I can't wait to see! :) :disco: Yay for hair that you are more happy with!

:D I am alot more happier. I'm in shock! But happy! :cheese:

I can swoosh my hair!!!!!!!! :D:Dand the even hemline feels so good! :cheer:

Hopefully I will get the pictures up in an hour :)

redneckprincess
June 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
ohhhh im so excited/scared to see pics.. you didnt pixie it did you??? you said big surprise i thought alomst biggest, what ever you did im sure looks great, and as long as your happy with it and YOU like it thats all that counts. ♥

jivete
June 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
:drama:

Anxously awaiting pix. Hope there on before I leave work, otherwise I have to wait until Monday.

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
ohhhh im so excited/scared to see pics.. you didnt pixie it did you??? you said big surprise i thought alomst biggest, what ever you did im sure looks great, and as long as your happy with it and YOU like it thats all that counts. ♥

Lol :) I haven't pixied :D Through its alot shorter than it was!

Thank you for your lovey message :flower:

I have taken a photo and Wil post up a new thread :)

wintersun99
June 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM

janeytilllie
June 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yay! so glad you are happy. you should enjoy your hair! :bottomsup:

p.s. I had to add another emoticon because it was so festive in this post! :p

Thank you! :flowers: I have submitted a thread with a picture of the cut! :D

enfys
June 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I had to try really hard to read this before looking at the follow up thread.

It tickled me reading your nerves! The thinning may have travelled up, I'm not sure but it was quite severe anyway. The thinning and the cut!