PDA

View Full Version : Scalp-only washing - how long does your hair need to be?

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I thought I'd try doing a scalp-only wash and put my hair in a loose braid....and ended up staring at the shower and doing various strange poses for ages while I tried to figure out how this was going to work. I ended up taking out the braid and getting into the shower for a full wash since it seemed that any attempt at a scalp wash would inevitably end up having to be a full wash!

My hair is at about my hips now, but didn't seem long enough to do a scalp wash. How long do you think is long enough? Any one do this with hair my length (or shorter?)

fishwich
June 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
So far as I know, a scalp wash isn't meant to be a prohibitive thing--as in, you're not really trying to avoid getting shampoo anywhere but your scalp, you're just focusing on the scalp and letting the rest of it deal with itself. The way I do it is just put some poo on my head, rub it around the roots and scalp, and then rinse without bothering to scrub or lather the length. The diluted suds running down the length give it a very gentle wash.

For the record, mine's at classic. This technique works great for that length, and has also worked great when it was shorter.

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
So far as I know, a scalp wash isn't meant to be a prohibitive thing--as in, you're not really trying to avoid getting shampoo anywhere but your scalp, you're just focusing on the scalp and letting the rest of it deal with itself. The way I do it is just put some poo on my head, rub it around the roots and scalp, and then rinse without bothering to scrub or lather the length. The diluted suds running down the length give it a very gentle wash.

For the record, mine's at classic. This technique works great for that length, and has also worked great when it was shorter.

Thats what I do when I want to do a full wash - I meant the kind of wash where just the roots get wet, and the length stays dry. I get quite an ichy scalp between washes - my length seems to have improved by fewer washings but my scalp begs to be washed more!

Peter
June 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'm a bit past APL and I've done a scalp-only wash before. I basically just followed Amoretti's article. I put my hair in a loose braid so that my scalp hair wasn't pulled back too much and I could easily reach under the top layer (hopefully that made sense). Then I just leaned over the bathroom sink and wet my hair, applied a bunch of conditioner (I do CO washes), left it for a couple of minutes and then washed it off.

Since the point is to keep the length dry, I had to let the water run off the front of my head, which means that many of those shorter hairs got in my face. But it worked pretty well. My hair got wet only to a bit past my chin, the rest was dry. It did create some tangles, so I ended up combing it after towel-drying... so the length did get slightly wet from that, but it dried in a couple of minutes. My scalp took much longer to dry.

I do find, however, that I need to do a full wash about once a week so that I don't get skin flakes and random white particles all over my scalp. Scalp washes just can't remove all those since I can't comb all the way from roots to ends like in a full wash.

Hope this helps!

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm a bit past APL and I've done a scalp-only wash before. I basically just followed Amoretti's article. I put my hair in a loose braid so that my scalp hair wasn't pulled back too much and I could easily reach under the top layer (hopefully that made sense). Then I just leaned over the bathroom sink and wet my hair, applied a bunch of conditioner (I do CO washes), left it for a couple of minutes and then washed it off.

Since the point is to keep the length dry, I had to let the water run off the front of my head, which means that many of those shorter hairs got in my face. But it worked pretty well. My hair got wet only to a bit past my chin, the rest was dry. It did create some tangles, so I ended up combing it after towel-drying... so the length did get slightly wet from that, but it dried in a couple of minutes. My scalp took much longer to dry.

I do find, however, that I need to do a full wash about once a week so that I don't get skin flakes and random white particles all over my scalp. Scalp washes just can't remove all those since I can't comb all the way from roots to ends like in a full wash.

Hope this helps!

Ahh! It should definately be possible for me to do this then if you can manage it with APL hair. Interesting that you CO washed this way - most of the time that is how I wash my hair but I didn't think I would be able to rinse well enough if I was keeping most of my hair dry. I was going to try it with shampoo (I wash with shampoo if I'm in a hurry or the water pressure in my house drops to a dribble as it rinses out quickly) but I'll experiment to see if CO works for me too.

Deborah
June 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
You need to do scalp washes bent over at a sink, not in the shower. If you have a handheld shower head, I guess you might be able to do it in the shower, but you'd still need to bend over at the waist in order to keep the water off the rest of you and your hair. The sink is just easier. :)

I've done it CO too, and it works just fine. Just like all CO, you have to remember to (a) use more conditioner than you think you'll need, (b) scrub it in very thoroughly, and (c) rinse it longer than you'd need to do with shampoo.

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
So do you use a jug to rinse, or dunk your head in the sink?

Deborah
June 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
So do you use a jug to rinse, or dunk your head in the sink?

Neither. You run the tap water over the very top and front of your head. It will run in your face some, but not a lot. I don't think either other method would rinse well enough, especially if you did CO washing.

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Neither. You run the tap water over the very top and front of your head. It will run in your face some, but not a lot. I don't think either other method would rinse well enough, especially if you did CO washing.

I think my taps are arranged differently to yours! I have separate hot and cold taps and there is no way any part of my head will fit between tap and sink....My shower is one you can hold in your hand though, I could figure out a way of balancing, head into shower, hair in one hand shower in other....

Periwinkle
June 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I've done scalp washes at a bit above BSL. I've stopped doing them now as I don't like the way it makes my scalp and length feel different.

When I shower, I make a bun by getting an elastic, pulling it over my hair once (like a ponytail), then wrapping the length over the base and pulling the elastic over the top (look back in my topics - I posted a video). For scalp washes, I grabbed the hair at the top of my spine and did that with it, then rinsed through my scalp hair in the sink with a cup, shampooed and then rinsed it out. I normally left the bun in a while for the wet hair to dry a bit and then took it out and often put my hair up as normal immediately.

Ash
June 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have never done this but I have a theory. If you put a small hook in the ceiling in your shower, you could probably pull up your hair as if making a high ponytail only put the elastic a couple of inches away from the scalp. Near the ends of your hair (or the hair near the ceiling, whichever comes first) you could put another elastic and attach this part to the hook so it keeps the length out of the way. Then you could use both hands as needed and the hand shower should get out all the shampoo. The sides of your hair around your face would probably get wetter than the top due to the placement of the ponytail though but I think it would probably work.

Teazel
June 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I do scalp washes (keeping the length dry) three different ways. If I alternate them each time I wash I can be sure no part of my head gets manky.

In the sink. I have a mixer tap. I put my hair in a single snug plait, tuck it into my bra strap (an advantage over the men there!), then bend over the sink. Wet my head, apply shampoo or whatever, wash, and rinse. Blot dry with towel, undo plait, comb. Done!
In the shower. Hair in plait. Tie knot in plait to take up some of the length. Put shower cap on, with plait tucked into it. At end of shower, slip shower cap to the side, with hair bagged, and wrap around top of plait. Hold tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, blot with towel, etc. Done.
In the shower. Hair in bun on top of head, held with pin or stick. Shower cap on. When ready, bag and wrap bun as before, lift bun off scalp, and shampoo, wash, rinse. Etc. Done! :D

All these methods are dead easy and quick. I prefer not to get my length wet because then it's a hassle to dry and detangle.

magpielaura
June 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I have never done this but I have a theory. If you put a small hook in the ceiling in your shower, you could probably pull up your hair as if making a high ponytail only put the elastic a couple of inches away from the scalp. Near the ends of your hair (or the hair near the ceiling, whichever comes first) you could put another elastic and attach this part to the hook so it keeps the length out of the way. Then you could use both hands as needed and the hand shower should get out all the shampoo. The sides of your hair around your face would probably get wetter than the top due to the placement of the ponytail though but I think it would probably work.

Its really funny you put this as I was formulating a cunning plan involving a length of elastic tied to the end of my braid and hooked onto the little shelf above my shower this morning! I think having both hands free for the washing/rinsing/balancing would be good if I can accomplish it. My next hair wash could be interesting!

Teazel
June 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Regarding tying your hair to a hook or whatever - I would be very worried about the possibility of slipping and falling in the shower. Could be very nasty. :scared:

magpielaura
June 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I do scalp washes (keeping the length dry) three different ways. If I alternate them each time I wash I can be sure no part of my head gets manky.

In the sink. I have a mixer tap. I put my hair in a single snug plait, tuck it into my bra strap (an advantage over the men there!), then bend over the sink. Wet my head, apply shampoo or whatever, wash, and rinse. Blot dry with towel, undo plait, comb. Done!
In the shower. Hair in plait. Tie knot in plait to take up some of the length. Put shower cap on, with plait tucked into it. At end of shower, slip shower cap to the side, with hair bagged, and wrap around top of plait. Hold tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, blot with towel, etc. Done.
In the shower. Hair in bun on top of head, held with pin or stick. Shower cap on. When ready, bag and wrap bun as before, lift bun off scalp, and shampoo, wash, rinse. Etc. Done! :DAll these methods are dead easy and quick. I prefer not to get my length wet because then it's a hassle to dry and detangle.
Alternating techniques is a great idea. My braid is not long enough to stay in my bra strap if I lean forward, but I suppose I could extend it with some ribbon and use a cup/jug to rinse over the sink.

How often do you scalp wash, and how often to you wash the rest? (that is if you wash it at all - I don't suppose it would be that nessesary if your scalp oils never reach it)

magpielaura
June 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Regarding tying your hair to a hook or whatever - I would be very worried about the possibility of slipping and falling in the shower. Could be very nasty. :scared:

Yeah....I see what you mean! Eeek!

I could put a loop of thread as the bit that hooks on - a firm tug would snap it easily so it would act as a safety device. I think having both hands free would minimise my chances of falling over too.

Good point! If I try this I'll make sure my hair is not attached too firmly to anything.

Teazel
June 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
How often do you scalp wash, and how often to you wash the rest? (that is if you wash it at all - I don't suppose it would be that nessesary if your scalp oils never reach it)

I scalp wash as often as it's needed... for me, that's more or less every third day. The length gets washed and conditioned every 2 to 3 weeks... it really doesn't get dirty or smelly.

LaurelSpring
June 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have used a squirt bottle a couple of times and it works well in a pinch. Since it is warm now and I have started walking after work I get kind of sweaty but dont want to do a full wash. Also, you can mostly control where the water goes. I just squirt my scalp really well with the water. Sometimes just that is enough to freshen me up and I just towel my scalp but I have tried using a bit of diluted shampoo and then squirting that out. It has worked pretty well for me without alot of fuss.

Queenie
June 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think I comfortably started scalp washing when I was around tailbone length. I make a loose braid and just hold it up and out to the side while I'm in the shower. My arm doesn't get sore (I guess you get used to it).

The braid stays dry, just the first few inches at the base of the braid get wet. I don't mind because I mostly damp bun anyway.

The odd times I'm CO-ing, I glob my scalp with conditioner, cover with a shower cap leaving the braid out, then pile the braid on top of the cap and secure with a claw clip.

L4dybug
June 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Alot of great tips here. I want to give the scalp only wash a try. I've never done this before. Always just did poo and conditioner every other day. But I want to stretch out my washings. This will be very interesting. lol.

I did try the co only wash, and my roots was way too oily, what did I do wrong?

EdG
June 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I fold up my hair and hold it over my head in the shower. This leaves one arm free to do the washing.

I apply a small amount of shampoo to the scalp around the perimeter of my hair. The scalp mostly gets rinsed rather than washed. :D

The length of the hair remains dry. I think this technique would work for any length beyond waist. :)
Ed

Deborah
June 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I forgot to mention another way to scalp wash. You can kneel in the bathtub and put just the front of your head under the tap. In this way, it is very easy to both wash and rinse, as you have lots of water to use if you need it. This makes for very thorough rinsing if your tap(s) at the sink are separate or in an awkward position. This makes CO washing the scalp only a lot more feasible too, since CO requires much more rinsing than shampoo does.

I hope you find a way that works just great for you! :)

Nevermore
June 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Depending on how small your bathroom is, a handheld showerhead may reach to the sink. I used to wash my hair over the sink that way when I lived in an RV, the apartment I moved to has more room and even if I had a handheld, it wouldn't reach the sink. I miss that a bit.

magpielaura
June 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Alot of great tips here. I want to give the scalp only wash a try. I've never done this before. Always just did poo and conditioner every other day. But I want to stretch out my washings. This will be very interesting. lol.

I did try the co only wash, and my roots was way too oily, what did I do wrong?

There is a CO wash thread somewhere but it is quite a lot to read through! Lots of the right condishoner (cheap, conefree) and lots and lots of rinsing are important for CO to clean effectively.

magpielaura
June 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Its great to hear so many different tactics for doing this!

I can't believe I'm impatient for my scalp to get itchy so I can try out some of these ideas:cheese:

enfys
June 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
It sounds like your sink is like mine. A good, British sink haha.

I only do half scalp washes because I'm trying to clean the front which is on view. I fill the sink with water, dunk the top of my head in to save time, then use a tub to scoop and pour water over it, wash, then rinse with dunking, fill the sink with fresh water and rinse with the tub.

I have also used the showerhead in one hand and held the braid with the other. That didn't work, but I found as long as my head was tilted forward I could put the plait down my back and still not have it get wet, leaving the other hand free to massage the shampoo in and out.

Eryka
June 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Funny this thread popped up because I've been thinking about how to do scalp washes. The one time I tried on my own I wound up soaking myself and the bathroom floor while eventualy having to unbraid my hair and do a normal washing.

So far the loose braid and just holding it out of the way seems shibby to me. Gonna have to try it one day where I'm not expected to look presentable anywhere in case it flops.

mellie
June 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I was fascinated by this thread so I tried it this morning! I am only 23" long, but I thought I'd give it a try!

I normally only apply my soapnut foam shampoo to my scalp hair, but I do a full rinse out in the shower. Today, I applied my soapnut foam to my scalp hair only, tied it back in a bun, took my normal shower (avoiding my hair completely), then went to the sink and stuck my head under the faucet (tricky!) and washed out my scalp only, avoiding the bun.

It worked pretty well! It was nice because it dried much faster (maybe an hour faster?), since the length wasn't very wet, and used less water too. Here's some comparison pics!

Normal full rinse vs. scalp only rinse out:

http://home.comcast.net/~ttudek/pwpimages/DSCN2614.jpghttp://home.comcast.net/~ttudek/pwpimages/DSCN2645.jpg

Seems to have worked pretty much just as well! The only thing is that it was tricky to fully rinse by sticking my head under the faucet! So I think I'll probably stick with the normal rinsing for now.

EdG
June 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
It worked pretty well! It was nice because it dried much faster (maybe an hour faster?), since the length wasn't very wet, and used less water too. That's cool! The scalp-wash is a big time-saver, in addition to a wear-and-tear saver. :)
Ed

dancingmegs
June 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I started scalp washing when my hair was about tailbone I think. I'm sure I could have done it at a shorter length, but that was the point where full washing and drying became prohibitively annoying (I don't have a lot of patience or time to spend messingaround with my hair).

I put it in a loose braid starting normally (at the base of my skull) and put it in a plastic bag. then I wrap an elastic tightly around the bag. When I'm washing, I hold my briad up with one hand, which loosens the scalp hair and allows the shampoo to get to the scalp better.

I scalp wash every 4-6 days, depending on what I've been doing to get my hair dirty, and I wash the length about once a month. I've been doing this for two years now, and I love it. As long as my hair is long, I don't anticipate changing my routine.

.Amanaka.
June 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
When I scalp wash, I do a variation on Nanny Pauline's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=140066&postcount=3)method... there's a thread about it somewhere. But basically what I do is to take a coathanger into the shower, stick it on the shower rod, do a loose braid (so I can get near my nape), fold the length of the braid over the hanger, and then clip it. I like this because I can move the hanger around on the shower rod, so I can get closer to the shower spray.

Uh... I'm not sure if that made any sense. If not, I can clarify!

magpielaura
June 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Those who have been scalp washing for awhile - did you notice a big improvement in you hair?

Queenie
June 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Those who have been scalp washing for awhile - did you notice a big improvement in you hair?
I still have a long way to go until I'll be happy with my ends, but now they're definitely thicker than they were last time I reached classic. So I really notice less wear and tear, less split ends.

L4dybug
June 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I tried the scalp wash, and I really liked it. I know I will do better with it as my hair gets longer, but I wanted to give it a try, a big time saver. It was my first try at it, I was doing real well on the start, I turned my head over & combed my hair real well, and I did a braid. Then I washed my scalp over into my sink, held the braid in one hand and shampooed with the other, this will take some getting used to, I was doing real good until the end, and then I dropped my braid and it got wet, lol. I think next time I'll wrap it with something and tie it off. lol. :p

Nyghtingale
June 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I still haven't mastered it. I usually just coat the length with conditioner and then wash the scalp and rinse, condition, condition, dry.

magpielaura
June 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I tried the scalp wash, and I really liked it. I know I will do better with it as my hair gets longer, but I wanted to give it a try, a big time saver. It was my first try at it, I was doing real well on the start, I turned my head over & combed my hair real well, and I did a braid. Then I washed my scalp over into my sink, held the braid in one hand and shampooed with the other, this will take some getting used to, I was doing real good until the end, and then I dropped my braid and it got wet, lol. I think next time I'll wrap it with something and tie it off. lol. :p

I'm going to try this morning and I won't be too suprised if I do much the same! Will report back soon!