PDA

View Full Version : Secure cinnamon bun and others with several coils

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I don't get how to secure a cinnabun when it coils more than one time around itself.
The middle coil want to pop out and make a small bee butt bun.
And then I just have 1/4 more than one coil/turn around (after tucking in the ends)...

I have tried weaving the stick, but it don't work.
I know one can use smaller pins, but I see a lot here that uses just a stick, so I wonder - how.

akka naeda
June 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I don't get how to secure a cinnabun when it coils more than one time around itself.
The middle coil want to pop out and make a small bee butt bun.
And then I just have 1/4 more than one coil/turn around (after tucking in the ends)...

I have tried weaving the stick, but it don't work.
I know one can use smaller pins, but I see a lot here that uses just a stick, so I wonder - how.

You need to wrap the coils looser. If the second coil is too tight, then it will cause the central one to pop up and so on. I find it difficult, which is why I don't often wear a cinnabun. Sometimes if I loosen the coils after wrapping this helps, flipping the bun up and pushing it against my head and then down again is a good way to do this. But I have a fair bit more hair than you so what works for me may not help.

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 05:51 AM
You need to wrap the coils looser. If the second coil is too tight, then it will cause the central one to pop up and so on. I find it difficult, which is why I don't often wear a cinnabun. Sometimes if I loosen the coils after wrapping this helps, flipping the bun up and pushing it against my head and then down again is a good way to do this. But I have a fair bit more hair than you so what works for me may not help.
Then your inner coil/coils are not secured then?

Maybe this style is not for me, I can't stand when my hair is not secured "all the way" even though it looks so nice :( Maybe I must use pins for the inner coil then.
Mostly my buns slowly turns into something like gibraltar bun or nautilus bun or similar home made bun thing.

MandaMom2Three
June 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I just use pins to secure each coil.

magpielaura
June 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I flatten it to my head as I wrap the hair around, and find that its best not to wrap the second coil too tight. When I start to run out of hair I wrap the last bit much tighter so it disappears underneath and might even make nearly 2 tight circuits around the "root" of the bun - I've a fair bit of taper. I have found as my hair has gained length the position of the stick has changed - I used to insert the stick at 2 o clock and exit at 8 but i've recently changed to putting in the stick at 10 or 11 and find this is working much better.

Anje
June 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Once I got up to about 3 coils (ah, the joys of long, thinnish hair!), I started having issues too, even though I wrapped it so that the thing would be flat against my head.

Best solution I found was to use two Wavelength pins (double-pointed knitting needles in a U shape) oriented horizontally and parallel to each other, one on the top half of the bun, one on the lower half. You could probably increase the number of pins according to pin and bun size.

Even better solution, for me anyway, was to switch to doing nautilus buns and various knotted buns (celtic knots, karenlynn knots, and so on). This had the added bonus of getting rid of that funny kink I got from the first loop of a cinnamon bun.

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I guess the "plain old simple cinnabun" isn't that simple after all :)

I have to try amish pins or something to inner coil.

Nautilus, gibraltar and orchid buns is fine (could have a bit longer hair for these though). And of course Chinese bun from braid/braids :)

Braided "cinnabun" will work for some years more I think. Braid eats a lot of the length. I get a tad less than one turn/coil with a braid.

Sceleste
June 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I secure my cinnabun with one hairstick putting it only through the first coil. When making the bun, I flatten it with my hand and wrap the last coil tight under other coils, then insert hairstick. It's very secure.

Deborah
June 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
A cinnamon bun can be held very securely with just one stick. When you insert the stick you of course catch the outermost coil, but as you push it through, it catches the bottom of all other coils, whether you do the weaving or not. See what I mean? If you run the stick in then along touching your scalp, you cannot miss the other coils, unless they are sticking up in the air above the rest. It is easier than it sounds.

I think the key for you is doing the looser coiling as others have mentioned. As you coil, use your other hand to fairly firmly hold the bun flat against your head.

Also, do you know how to use a stick? You have to insert the stick straight in, as though you are trying to stab yourself. Then you actually stab yourself (very gently). Now you lay the stick down against your head and slide it in more or less parallel to your head, catching the coils as you pass through, making sure to exit through the outermost coil. While passing through the outermost coil, you can lift the stick slightly, torquing against your head, so that the through-the-hair path is actually (a) straight in - perpendicular, (b) more or less straight ahead - parallel, then (c) angled out - trying for perpendicular again. I hope this does not sound too complicated. It's way easier to do than to explain.

I hope at least some of this helps! :)

Katrina
June 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
How about this? I have found this video (by JJJ) to be very helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

Claw clips work pretty well with my almost tailbone lenght hair. I have a cinnabun held with clawclips in my current avatar. A cinnabun doesn't stay when I try to do it using pins or sticks.

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
A cinnamon bun can be held very securely with just one stick. When you insert the stick you of course catch the outermost coil, but as you push it through, it catches the bottom of all other coils, whether you do the weaving or not. See what I mean? If you run the stick in then along touching your scalp, you cannot miss the other coils, unless they are sticking up in the air above the rest. It is easier than it sounds.

I think the key for you is doing the looser coiling as others have mentioned. As you coil, use your other hand to fairly firmly hold the bun flat against your head.
I know how to, but seems I sure can miss the coils when going under parallel LOL. But maybe when my hair gets longer, I can coil more loose than now and see if it works better.
Maybe I am in "in between" lengths where it is too short for regular big buns, but too long for easy buns for shorter hair.

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
How about this? I have found this video (by JJJ) to be very helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

Claw clips work pretty well with my almost tailbone lenght hair. I have a cinnabun held with clawclips in my current avatar. A cinnabun doesn't stay when I try to do it using pins or sticks.
Oh, I have seen that. But I think I have to have a bit longer hair first. I have just so it is too long for one coil, so it does not reach for two (I have for 1.25 coil after tucking ends).
I will of course try this later, since I like comfort and secureness. :)
I should be able to do it now of course, if I don't mind showing the clawclips.

I think it was Aisha that had a sigpic where the first coil is secured by stick, and the rest is wrapped around it, a bit like a Chinese bun.

But I am impressed by everybody that easily secure multi coiled cinnabuns with one stick after all coiling is done :)

Aisha25
June 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I think you mean my cameo bun. That is a ciinabun on top and a braid for the other half below,wrapped around the cinnabun. I have one pencil holding both of them

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=671&pictureid=28792

Flynn
June 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
If I want it flat, I pin each coil as I go.

ETA: I often get this kinky popped-out bit on the first coil for no real reason I can find (before I do the second coil; it seems to be somehow due to coiling up the twisted hair...?) If it happens, all I can do is do and redo until it doesn't do it.

Cinnamon Hair
June 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I make mine flat like a pancake. You have to be careful to guide the coils with your spare hand so they lay flat against the head instead of doing their own thing. If you twist too tight then the center one will pop out. The only part of a cinnamon bun you really need to twist tightly is the very first twist there at the ponytail base (I don't use a ponytail holder, but I just mean that area). The first twist is what holds everything in place. After that you can go easier on it, just be sure to wrap the last inches of the tail around the base so that it will be hidden under the bun and not unwind itself.

I like to insert my hair stick or fork on about the second coil but when I dig into the scalp I stretch it outward to grab a few hairs on the outside coil before changing direction and heading into the center of the bun. It doesn't always work. Sometimes you need a couple Good Days hair pins to secure the outside coil from coming loose.

I could talk about it all day, but honestly, me giving written directions on this is probably not going to help you much. You just need practice to get a feel for it yourself.

ETA: It also helps to have thin ends that are easily tucked under your bun. If you have thick hair all the way to the ends, it is much harder to keep a cinnamon bun secured.

Flynn
June 6th, 2009, 01:12 AM
ETA: It also helps to have thin ends that are easily tucked under your bun. If you have thick hair all the way to the ends, it is much harder to keep a cinnamon bun secured.

Although, thick-to-the-ends hair can also be secured just fine with a tiny little bit more effort, and you get a really cool "spray" of hair around one side of the bun without even trying! XD

Cinnamon Hair
June 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Although, thick-to-the-ends hair can also be secured just fine with a tiny little bit more effort, and you get a really cool "spray" of hair around one side of the bun without even trying! XD

Ok, maybe just harder for me. I'll admit to never having thick-to-the-ends hair myself so not enough practice.

Flynn
June 6th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hahaha, yeah, well, I find it is kind of hard to not get the spray... but I'm all for turning those little negatives into positives... XD

HotRag
June 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I think you mean my cameo bun. That is a ciinabun on top and a braid for the other half below,wrapped around the cinnabun. I have one pencil holding both of them
Aha, I did not see it was a braid until now in this big picture.

But maybe it could be a good idea for me - to make a small cinnabun, secure, and then wrap the rest around like Chinese bun. I have too short hair to try that now though.

HotRag
June 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I make mine flat like a pancake. You have to be careful to guide the coils with your spare hand so they lay flat against the head instead of doing their own thing. If you twist too tight then the center one will pop out. The only part of a cinnamon bun you really need to twist tightly is the very first twist there at the ponytail base (I don't use a ponytail holder, but I just mean that area). The first twist is what holds everything in place. After that you can go easier on it, just be sure to wrap the last inches of the tail around the base so that it will be hidden under the bun and not unwind itself.

I like to insert my hair stick or fork on about the second coil but when I dig into the scalp I stretch it outward to grab a few hairs on the outside coil before changing direction and heading into the center of the bun. It doesn't always work. Sometimes you need a couple Good Days hair pins to secure the outside coil from coming loose.

I could talk about it all day, but honestly, me giving written directions on this is probably not going to help you much. You just need practice to get a feel for it yourself.
Thank you, your text information is very clear. That do not mean that I easily will manage to do this, but in theory I understand.