PDA

View Full Version : What are rinses for?

jera
June 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure what the purpose of a tea rinse is. I don't mean different herbs seeped in hot water like tea, but actual green/black tea and such. What are tea rinses for? Are there any teas that can be used to clean hair/remove buildup?

I'm not sure what the tea rinse you mention is used for, but I do used a similar type of final rinse made from steeped strained herbs. Rosemary is for stimulation, while I like spearmint for calming / cooling. :)

Madame J
June 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Tea (as in camellia sinensis leaves) rinses are acidic, and so would probably promote shine similarly to how an ACV rinse would. Also, black tea can darken hair, or add chestnut tones. Green tea is high in antioxidants and I guess could nourish the scalp.

Catnip herbal infusion has mild astringent properties; I've used it to extend between washes when my hair is a bit greasy, but it's not very cleansing. I'm thinking of switching to rosemary now that my hair is getting used to 2 days between washes instead of just one. That would just be for the lovely scent in my hair.

For info about herbs in hair rinses (and other hair uses), check out the new article on Western Herbs, Ingredients, and Techniques for Hair Care (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=134).