PDA

View Full Version : Another "Bored with my hair" Thread

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry don't want to depress anyone but I really need encouragment. This is how it is. I finally reached waist which was something I thought would be so rewarding. The fact is, I am really let down. There was no miraculous difference because it is at waist. I still like my hair and it is in good condition but I am just tired of it. For one thing I will turn 50 next year and I am thinking is it too long for my age? (no egg throwing please, it just crosses my mind more lately). I can't wear it up that well because of headaches and I really like it down better anyway but it's getting so hot can't do that very well. I thought about layers (already have eyebrow length bangs) but I know I would hate the layers because they would stick out of braids and drive me nuts and never liked them. A new hair toy doesn't even excite me anymore. I miss some of the styles I could do when it was shorter like a peacock twist and high curly ponytail, tucked in braid etc.

I also have a lot of new hair growing in around my crown and it sticks up all over the place and is hard to make look good. Of course cutting wouldn't solve that problem. I'm just frustrated and could think of no one else who would understand but you all. :confused:

amaiaisabella
June 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
At what length were you the happiest with your hair and how it looks? If it's at waist, now that you reached it, stay there. If it's shorter, maybe gradual trims could help bring you back to that happy place :)

spidermom
June 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Oh believe me, I do understand. I was so excited about reaching waist, then I got there and my hair was a bigger pain than ever. I was negative about it until I got to hip length, then it felt really long to me, and I was happy with my hair again.

For me, it's better to reach one goal before I set a new one, otherwise I end up surrounded by 1001 unfinished projects. I see that your goal is tailbone, and I think it would be a good idea to focus on getting there rather than all the other ideas - like new hair cuts. Maybe spend some time in the articles learning some different styles. I wonder if maybe one of the styles that divides hair up and pins it down in multiple places would be more comfortable/less headache inducing for you.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Okay good advice both of you. It grows so slow especially with the curls is probably one reason I am frustrated. I am terrible at learning updos too mostly because of patience. I like something quick and easy.

SM, I remember you going through that now that you mention it.
I am definitely not going to do anything hastily.

chelssix
June 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I hope that you can find some way to be happier with your hair- even if it is cutting it. Can you maybe turn the curls into braid waves or something, so there is a "new" aspect to it for a bit? It would make it feel longer, and it's a fun, non-permanent change.

cobblersmaid
June 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I have been feeling this way lately. I have been maintaining between hip and tailbone for a few years now, and I am getting a bit tired. Even after henna (which I adore) I feel like this. One of my SILs just cut her hair into an adorable super short style after having long hair, and it is so tempting. My hair has never been short in my life and I get curious. I doubt I would ever go for it, but still.

Sorry not much help, just saying I hear ya.

Maelyssa
June 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I think right now is the best time to focus on all the good reasons you wanted to go longer. Maybe find some long hair idols & use that to focus on why you wanted your hair that long in the first place.

Trust me when I say I feel your pain. I've been going through the same thing recently for different reasons but when I come on here & see beautiful pics of women who have achieved what I want to it renews my own motivation & inspiration.
My hair has been a series of horror stories recently & I'm so frustrated but I'm doing lots of braids (my hair is about an inch or so below waist myself) or twisted up buns held by claw clips.
Having it out of my way helps me get through the days I just want to shave it all off. LOL

Good luck with your growing. Try making it through summer & see where you're at in the fall. Give yourself some time to decide. :D

Deb!
June 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
For me, it's better to reach one goal before I set a new one, otherwise I end up surrounded by 1001 unfinished projects.

You've described me to a "T"! ;)

lora410
June 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I am there too. My hair has been the same length for the past few months :rolleyes: 2" until waist but now I pretty much pay no mind or special attention to my hair.

DMARTINEZ
June 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am feeling this way too. I turned 50 this year and sometimes feel very haggard looking.
I NEVER wear it down and just look terrible with it down,IMO.(which is most important!)
I will probably end up cutting as Ive been pondering this for around a year. Im so sick of
the long hairs EVERYWHERE, and washing and drying times. I will never go real short or even
kinda short, Im thinking of shoulder length with long layers. This will allow me to still put it up in some ways,but wear it down too. So, thats my thoughts......

Deb

Roseate
June 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I think maybe waist is a 'blah' length for a lot of people. I know it was for me- I'm still growing back from the chin-length cut I got when I hit waist last time! I'm looking forward to toughing it out this time around, since I've heard from several people around here that there are things to look forward to on the other side.

Demetrue
June 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I always loved your hair - and you look closer to 30, not 50! What about headbands or half-ups to pull the bangs off your face and give you a new look?

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I feel the same right now. It looks it but somehow waist doesn't feel long.

I suggest you stick with it, try and get past this, and spend plenty of time on YouTube watching hair videos. You don't want to mess about with shorter hair in summer when you can pin up and go now.

My mum was in her 50s when she started to grow her hair again. It's great because it's getting to an age where you're too wise for people to question or judge you. That's what she thought anyway.

spidermom
June 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I feel the same right now. It looks it but somehow waist doesn't feel long.

I suggest you stick with it, try and get past this, and spend plenty of time on YouTube watching hair videos. You don't want to mess about with shorter hair in summer when you can pin up and go now.

My mum was in her 50s when she started to grow her hair again. It's great because it's getting to an age where you're too wise for people to question or judge you. That's what she thought anyway.

Good point. I feel that way myself - way too experienced in the ways of the world for anybody to tell me how I ought to wear my hair. (sounds better than "way too old", doesn't it?)

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
First off, let me say that you do not look ANYWHERE near 50...are you sure you don't have your years mixed up? ;)

And I will echo the statements of the previous posters, definitely don't do anything rash until you've had plenty of time to reconsider why you grew it long in the first place. Make a list of pros and cons and see which list is longer. Try out different hair styles, if you're bored with your everyday ones. Sometimes it takes so long to reach your goals, that you're no longer excited about it by the time you get there.

I agree, try to hang in there until TB. Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged, but just try to remember why you decided to grow it long. Does that still apply to you nowadays? And do you really think age has anything to do with hair length? :)

Lamb
June 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Curlsgirl, you know you have always been one of my biggest hair idols here! :flower: I think you should look at some old photos of your hair - see where you started out, and how far you have gotten. Put the oldest and the latest photo next to each other, and see the difference.

Also - why not look at hats, practice braiding in new ways, look into period hairstyles, get some ribbons and just loosely tie your hair up Edwardian-style so you wouldn't get headaches... Gosh, if I had waist-length hair I would play so much with it I wouldn't have time for anything else! :o

zen_oven
June 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I totally understand. I'm not quite ready to say I'm BSL, and my goal right now is waist, so I feel blah about not being where I want to be. Lucky for me I've been so busy I haven't really thought about my hair much--I've just been sticking to my usual routine and figure I'll reassess how I feel about it toward the end of summer. I tend to agree with earlier posters--figure out what length you liked best and gradually trim back. It won't be a big traumatic chop, but you may find an in-between length you like better. It's not about length so much as it's about being happy with your hair.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I wanted to quote and answer everyone but just want to say THANKS so much. I KNEW I could count on you all. I feel so LOVED! :love:

I am there too. My hair has been the same length for the past few months :rolleyes: 2" until waist but now I pretty much pay no mind or special attention to my hair.Mine was 2 inches from waist FOREVER I am telling you it was STUCK!

I am feeling this way too. I turned 50 this year and sometimes feel very haggard looking.
I NEVER wear it down and just look terrible with it down,IMO.(which is most important!)
I will probably end up cutting as Ive been pondering this for around a year. Im so sick of
the long hairs EVERYWHERE, and washing and drying times. I will never go real short or even
kinda short, Im thinking of shoulder length with long layers. This will allow me to still put it up in some ways,but wear it down too. So, thats my thoughts......

DebIf I did cut mine I think I would cut it at about BSL and not layers but that is just because MY hair is horrible with them! I

I always loved your hair - and you look closer to 30, not 50! What about headbands or half-ups to pull the bangs off your face and give you a new look?Awwww thanks! I do wear halfups a LOT. That really does help. Headbands look stupid on me :mad: Trust me!

First off, let me say that you do not look ANYWHERE near 50...are you sure you don't have your years mixed up? ;)

And I will echo the statements of the previous posters, definitely don't do anything rash until you've had plenty of time to reconsider why you grew it long in the first place. Make a list of pros and cons and see which list is longer. Try out different hair styles, if you're bored with your everyday ones. Sometimes it takes so long to reach your goals, that you're no longer excited about it by the time you get there.

I agree, try to hang in there until TB. Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged, but just try to remember why you decided to grow it long. Does that still apply to you nowadays? And do you really think age has anything to do with hair length? :)Wow! Thanks SO much. Some great questions to consider and I will make a list! Great idea!

Curlsgirl, you know you have always been one of my biggest hair idols here! :flower: I think you should look at some old photos of your hair - see where you started out, and how far you have gotten. Put the oldest and the latest photo next to each other, and see the difference.

Also - why not look at hats, practice braiding in new ways, look into period hairstyles, get some ribbons and just loosely tie your hair up Edwardian-style so you wouldn't get headaches... Gosh, if I had waist-length hair I would play so much with it I wouldn't have time for anything else! :oAwwww you are so sweet! All great ideas too!

Well this is what happened tonight. I had Bible school and have had all this week, am doing the music for the 4/5 year olds. Anyway, before I left I decided to let DH cut off about a half inch of old icky ends (probably need to cut an inch or so more but just couldn't right now). So then I trimmed my bangs and took a shower and straightened it. I haven't done that in a while and I thought it might let me see the length and encourage me. It really did! I went on to church and the kids kept touching it and one little boy said, "Look your hair is the way hair should be, long and long and long and LONG (motioning all the way to the floor) and then he say until you STEP ON IT and acted like he was stepping on floor length hair. I was to tickled. Several adults commented too about it. I really like it better curly but this was a good choice, this time.

I may maintain at waist until I get the ends in better shape. I hadn't trimmed in quite a few months though. It is still at waist now with the 1/2 inch trim.

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL OF YOU SO MUCH!!!!