PDA

View Full Version : Hair comment at work

Angelica
June 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi! I know these type of things have been discussed before, but this was my experience today in work.

Julie: How long is your hair?

(I indicate its length).

Julie: Do you ever wear it down?

Me: No.

Julie: Why don't you cut it then?

Me: Because I don't like short hair.

Julie (shakes her head): You're mad.

(This type of remark is quite common, although less so in my particular work place than in previous places I've worked).

Is this a fairly typical thing for someone to say? Incidentally, Julie has long hair herself and wears hers down.

I wear it up all the time because it is so fine it looks better up and I can do it nicely up.

frodolaughs
June 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I never understand these statements. Apart from being nobody's business, long hair up looks nothing like short hair.

chelssix
June 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think they mean that if you want your hair up and out of your face, you will like short hair better.
Either way, it doesn't make sense to me.

myotislucifugus
June 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Never understood that myself... short hair is harder to keep out of your face, in my opinion. Too short to tie back, to short to keep in any kind of control.

Deb!
June 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
it doesn't make sense to me.

It also doesn't make sense to me!

Angelica, why did she assume you were mad after you answered her honestly?

What were you supposed to be mad about?

Copasetic
June 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
People used to ask me ALL THE TIME why I don't wear my hair down more often. My response, " Why do you care?"

Thankfully people have stopped asking me this for the most part.

Carolyn
June 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm guessing the people who aren't really into hair mean that with updo's and short hair they can see your neck and face more as opposed to with long loose hair. I don't get it as I don't think they two look anything alike. People also fail to realize there are those of us who don't care if we show off our hair or not. Hence my siggy line :gabigrin:

rach
June 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
i hate people who feel like they can know "best" and you must conform.
no - our hair is our own, enjoy however "you" will.

hay that makes me mad also then. :D

who's with us MAD people?

Madame J
June 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It also doesn't make sense to me!

Angelica, why did she assume you were mad after you answered her honestly?

What were you supposed to be mad about?

I think she meant mad as in crazy.

Feye
June 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Perhaps they find it mad that we wear long hair for ourselves, not for other people?

My colleagues have actually told me that updos suit me, and that it's a professional look.

To the question "Why don't you cut it then?". I think that it might work with a new question. Example: "Why should I do that?" Have her explain herself and keep asking questions until she feels silly and drops the subject :D

Or as a friend taught me today: Just keep repeating: "That doesn't work for me." to any weird arguments instead of trying to answer and defend yourself. "Well, that doesn't work for me." , "It just doesn't work for me" and so on, in a calm and friendly tone until the other person gets the point and stops.

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
A lot of people think it's only "worth" having long hair if you wear it down, or that hair should be a security blanket so it confuses them if you don't treat it as such.

I don't get it. And I don't get why people are so rude. Maybe you think she's mad for caring, or for wearing her hair down, but you don't tell her.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Honestly? It's nobody's business what you do with your hair. But that actually sounded like it could have been taken positively. As in, "long hair is gorgeous, and since your hair is long, you should show it off!" But if you like wearing it up, then by all means wear it up. I would accept the implied compliment, and if she asks you about it again (if you didn't do this the first time around), explain to her why you prefer it up. If she has long hair, she'll understand what you mean. :)

Angelica
June 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your comments :) I shall bear your suggestions and comments in mind next time somebody says this type of thing to me.

Deb!
June 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think she meant mad as in crazy.

Ah, I failed to note she lives in the U.K.