PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with sock bun.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I get it covered and secure with a band and wrap my hair around the bun, but having trouble finding what to use to keep it all together. If I use a scrunchy it looks pushed off my head, and I would like it to be flush against my head. Any ideas?

Kirin
April 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I use a wide ouchless ponytail holder its thin enough it goes under the bun and doesnt lift it up

manderly
April 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
You can always try hairpins if the regular ouchless band doesn't work.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks ladies, I do use a band for the first hold, than I have all the hair to wrap around finding that another band just doesn't hold the loose hair in place.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Maybe I just need to use one band, and wrap my hair around and tuck it in good before putting it in. I'll try that tomorrow, my hair right now is slathered in coconut oil for tomorrows washing. ;)

AJoifulNoise
April 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I let the rest of my hair fall as it may. I believe there's a picture of that in my album. I don't like how wrapping it pushes the bun away from my head.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I let the rest of my hair fall as it may. I believe there's a picture of that in my album. I don't like how wrapping it pushes the bun away from my head.

That's my whole point, not having it push away from my head. I looked at your pictures, and they are great, such good styles. I only noticed one that looked like a sock bun and that was a half up do? My hair is curly and poofy so having it just fall does not look the greatest.

AJoifulNoise
April 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
That's my whole point, not having it push away from my head. I looked at your pictures, and they are great, such good styles. I only noticed one that looked like a sock bun and that was a half up do? My hair is curly and poofy so having it just fall does not look the greatest.

It is a kind of half up. That's the only way I can do it that it looks good. Sorry that it doesn't help you much. My friend has curly hair and it works for her. I guess it's not as "poofy" like you say.

I'm sure someone around here has a solution for you. :)

Angela_Rose
April 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks ladies, I do use a band for the first hold, than I have all the hair to wrap around finding that another band just doesn't hold the loose hair in place.
Bun it when it's damp. It'll hold better.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Bun it when it's damp. It'll hold better.

Did not think of that, thank you, will try that. My only concern is covering the "sock" that it is uniform and not piecey that sometimes damp hair will do.

I'll try all the ideas that were given me, and get it one way or the other. :D

OhioLisa
April 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Just some Amish pins all around do the trick for me. Hair scroos work great too. Just don't wrap the left over hair so tightly around the base if you want to avoid the bun getting pushed away from the head.

aisling
April 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I get it covered and secure with a band and wrap my hair around the bun, but having trouble finding what to use to keep it all together. If I use a scrunchy it looks pushed off my head, and I would like it to be flush against my head. Any ideas?

Being pushed off your head is the nature of the sock bun, this is more pronounced the longer your hair gets. Wrapping the remaining hair loosely will help, but the sock bun isn't a flat bun, if you want a flat bun against your head, do a cinnamon bun.

Finoriel
April 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I braid my remaining hair and fill the gap between head and sockbunned-part with it, this acts less pushing_away than wrapping it around unbraided. For me one braid works but you can also do two if the remaining hair is not long enough to go around the whole sockbun. For securing this I use small amish pins, they hold best and donīt push the bun further away from my head than it already is.
Another idea is to use a thin scarf to make the gap more invisible, itīs hiding it pretty good. Thatīs plan B for me if the trick with the braid does not work ;)
Iīve even done a combination of those two methods (braid + scarf) and Iīve also tried to inbraid the scarf. :D Gave me a huge braid, which was actually bigger than the part with the sock. Looked "exotic" :lol: :p but was definitely hiding the pushed_away_part.

MadPirateBippy
April 9th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have been wearing a lot of sock buns lately. I've taken to tucking the ends under the pony tail that's used to keep the hair over the sock, if that makes any sense- just tuck the ends under. If that won't hold (I wasn't sure it would the first day, but it did for me) then I'd try a bobby pin.

LaurelSpring
April 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Could someone please post sock bun instructions. I see it mentioned alot but not exactly sure how to do it.

Thank you!