PDA

View Full Version : How did you? What made you?

redneckprincess
June 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Find TLHC.
I was killing my hair with bleach and glued in extentions, and wound up cutting off my (bairly) shoulderleingth hair to a pixie. Not to long after (maybe even before) I decided it was time for me to have the paitence to grow my hair long and beautiful. Reading as much online and looking up inspring pictures. I came across TLHC and signed up for a profile last December, I dont know why Maybe I wanted to read or see something I wasnt allowed to as a non member, anyways I then forgot about signing up and even going to this page. Every time I would do searches on line about haircare It would come up with LHC pages so I decided to sign up, to my suprise it said I already had a sign in so i found my password and have loged in almost everyday since, adding pictures, blogs questions and advice. One place I finally feel welcome and like my obsessions are not that uncommon, lol...And I now wonder how everyone else came across this site, or what brought you here? ♥

Fifty-Five
June 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
A friend of mine made me join. o.o JamieLeigh, she was all 'You HAVE to join! >=U' Yeah, with the angry face and everything! So, fearing for my life, I signed up! =o

...or it might've been more along the lines of her asking me like 5 or 10 times, and then I signed up. xP For some reason, I can't recall.

*ducks incoming objects*
<.<
>.>
xD

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I found it when looking for long hair styles online. Regular long hair things weren't long enough, so I needed to find something extreme for 40" of hair!

I used to read here way back, 2003.

When it re-appeared after going down I signed up for membership because by that point I was growing out my hair. Then life happened, and I forgot about it.

Finally, in Feb this year, I really missed the online community thing, because all the other places I posted went flat and I ended up back here.

Now I'm extremely likely to stay long term because it ticks all the boxes. Also, I've never met any online community people before, or ever realy wanted to. Here, I want to meet everyone!

LittleOrca
June 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I was feeling down about the condition of my hair and I wanted to help it get healthy without chopping it all off. so I googled extra long hair care, since I knew hair care would lead me to short hair with frosted tips and tons of advertisements. I found this site and I hung around a bit before joining to see what it was like.

Madame J
June 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I found LHC while looking for reviews of Terressentials hair wash, and joined because I felt nostalgic about when my hair was waist-length. I had known for a year that I wanted "long" hair again, but kept getting regular cuts, so it didn't grow as fast as I know it can. I figured joining was a way of making a commitment to myself to grow long.

Akiko
June 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I was looking for updo instructions.

Before I came here, I knew only cinnabun (braided and non-braided) and french twist. I was getting frustrated and bored with my very limited repertoire. I don't have any close friends or relatives with long hair to ask. So I searched online and found this site.

It's been very educational and fun.

soraya69
June 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Pretty much the same reasons as you (ruined my hair with glue-in extensions). Now I am trying to achieve the same look with my own hair (not likely though).

Kylis
June 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I was planning on coloring my hair again, but for some reason felt that it is not the right thing to do - although I had colored my hair for 10 years!! So I just kind of felt that I should do some research about different haircolors and the effect on hair - I don&#180;t know why I didn&#180;t think of it before. But somehow I found this site, I can&#180;t remember exactly. I just found so much information and since then I have regularly checked back here every day!
And of course I did not color my hair again and stopped blowdrying and started taking care of hair. I can already see the difference - my hair is shinier and healthier. I&#180;m so glad to be here!

teela1978
June 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I was googleing for info on growing out hairdye and randomly ended up here. I liked it so I stayed :)

GoddesJourney
June 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I've always wanted waist length hair and I just but it wasn't really practical for my lifestyle. I kept it between APL and BSL my whole life because if I'd braid it and tuck it into my sports bra strap, it would be just the right length to stay. I never took care of it, washed it every day, ripped a brush through it wet, went to bed with wet hair loose, had it ripped out regularly grappling...all the wrong things and it was always really beautiful and healthy. I just did a big cut two to three times a year.

A couple of years ago I stopped training and decided to finally grow it long. However, at that time I had moved onto a ranch and the water we had was some of the worst in the area. That kind of hard water damaged my hair so I cut some off. Then I spent two months in Rio de Janeiro and there was so much chlorine in the water that I could actually smell it (like the pool but not as much) so I cut some off again when I got home. However, I noticed the girls down there have typically BSL or longer hair and it's beautiful, so that was inspiring. I know they also put a lot of money into it so I thought nothing of it. Then I found out they put a lot of hair silicone in their hair daily. They second trip down there I bought some and damaged my hair less in four months than in the previous two. While I was there, I also bought some hair scissors for S&D and decided not to cut it until after my wedding in August and started a hair journal blog to hold myself accountable.

So I went online to look for updos and hair care for damaged ends, and I came across a variety of sites. This was consistently the best one, so I lurked around and eventually signed up. More of a story than was asked of me!

For the record, I have trimmed twice since then, but I'm glad I did. My hair has grown three inches in the last three months, so I don't mind cutting some off.

melrose1985
June 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
HA! I actually found this site before the crash; I was looking for the “magic” pill to make my hair grow long fast. I signed up and then for got about it (the crash happened).

So I ended up coming back because I permed my hair and chemically straighten it 4 days later. My hair looked like pizza cheese, like gooey-stringy cheese. I ended up cutting 4-6 inches off. The only good things to come from that is this time I stuck around the site (I’m on like all day) and I got to a bob cut like I always want to try! And better yet I have amazingly way healthier hair!

Oh and by the way the "magic" pill for growing hair is this site!

Pixna
June 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I really don't remember exactly. I joined back in 2002, before LHC is what it is today. It was on the Network 54 boards then, and we went through a LOT of changes (and painful political stuff and ego conflicts) before the site had a few transitions and its final morph. Although I can't really remember back that far, I imagine I was just looking for a support site and stumbled upon a terrific group of people, many of whom are still here on LHC today (which is a testament to how wonderful a group it really is!).

Norai
June 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM
A link to the OCM (completely unrelated to hair) on another forum ... I would have never guessed a place like this existed! Glad I stumbled over here.

redneckprincess
June 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Pretty much the same reasons as you (ruined my hair with glue-in extensions). Now I am trying to achieve the same look with my own hair (not likely though).
but who says we cant try

Merewen
June 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I got tired of using pencils to put in my hair and thought it would be fun to find some REAL hair sticks. I found this site and thought, "hmm, it would be nice to grow my hair out." I'd always kind of wanted to, minus a brief period waaaay back in middle school in which I chopped off my waist length hair (boo hiss!). And now here I am!

Leisje
June 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I was having a hard time finding information on natural haircare, and while there are an abundance of products to choose from out there, I'm one of those people who wants to read a lot of reviews about the product before I get it.
Also, I was looking for other tips to grow hair strong and healthy.
After a protein overload because of a crappy redken shampoo 2 years ago, alot of my hair snapped off, loosing about 1/2 the volume I had total.
Henna tips too, I think that's the initial reason I came here... was the vast henna part of the boards. Hehe.

It's growing out lovely now, and getting thicker as it does!

viking_quest
June 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm a member of the livejournal long hair community and through there I stumbled across here. I lurked for about a month and then joined, then lurked, and started posting.

Almandine
June 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I decided I wanted to know more about making my hair look nice, not just putting it up out of the way. I found this place and it was like "I have found my people!"

AJoifulNoise
June 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was lurking on a forum for the particular religion I was trapped in at the time (I'm not a part of it anymore), looking for hair advice. They pointed the way here with the warning that no one should sign up and talk to the "heathens" here. I guess I'm one of those now. :twisted:

:happydance:

My hair was not really bad-looking at the time. But, it has only improved. Along with many other aspects of my life.

Silver Strands
June 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was searching for a way to remove henna.

I had already found Feye's self hair trimming methods online years earlier and have used it ever since.

I also remember reading on the Long Hair Site years ago.
Sadly, they no longer exist.

missmandy
June 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I've always had long hair, but I wanted to grow it even longer. I searched "how to grow long hair fast" or some variation thereof into Google. I clicked on one of the results. Huzzah, LHC!!! I'm never leaving. :cheese:

Roseate
June 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I found my way over here from NaturallyCurly.com.

I started reading that board because I was tired of my persistent scalp problems and had discovered on my own that not using shampoo made them go away, so then I went online to find out how to manage without shampoo, and they have lots of information about co-washing.

I followed a link to this board, started reading and stuck around, since I was in the process of growing my hair back after a waist-to-chin cut. Now I've figured out what was causing my scalp problems (SLS), I've solved my eternally dry ends (Fox's conditioning cream), and I'm thinking about growing even longer this time around!

Erin1152
June 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm another one who always wanted "long hair". I never understood how it seemed to stay the same length. Yeah, umm.. realize that now after I would get it highlighted twice a year, blow dry every other day and flat iron. Not much of a mystery anymore.. I had never taken advice before, but I was at a dead end. The discovery was after a google search of hair care. I'm so happy I found this place...

GlassEyes
June 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I followed nowxisxforever's sig on gaia, and lurked. For a while, I had wanted to grow out my hair and get it relaxed (HONOES), but after lurking hair, I learned to care for my curly hair, and now I haven't looked back. :D

Spike
June 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I wanted to grow my long hair back, but wanted something to DO with it once I had it. So I was hunting hairstyles . . . and found a link here. Woah!! More information than I could shake a handcarved hairstick at!

Tap Dancer
June 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I belonged to longhairlovers and HairBoutique.com (I think) before LHC existed. I looked up forums for hair because I've always loved hair. :rolleyes: LOL. After a while I followed another longhairlovers member over here.

Longlocks3
June 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Since I currently have TBL hair; I was running out of ways to do it, getting bored with it and considering a huge chop. I searched for 'extremely long hair styles' and I found this site! This is one of very very few websites that have hairstyles for truly long hair.

I'm very interested to see where this community can take me. If I made it to TBL with little knowledge, imagine where I can get to with all these smart hair people!

Finoriel
June 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I was looking for updo instructions and google frequently lead me to the old forum. Before becoming interested in what to do with my hair (early ´06) a french braid was the ´fanciest´thing I could do with it. :p Shocking.
I guess what finally made me join was the decision that I need to train my English writing skills and training is best when it is fun :wink:.

bigdreamer
June 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
My hair has gotten wavy-er as time goes on, and much more difficult to deal with. So I would go through phases of "tryring to figure out the right cut and style" for me. Also, I've never enjoyed the salon experience and the less I go the better. So hello long hair! That's my style, with no maintenance other than taking good care of it.

I found LHC surfing around for long hair tips. So much excellent information from real people, I've changed my "I hate my hair" view to "I can do this and it's gonna be great!"

froglet
June 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I was also a member of longhairlovers although for the most part I was just a heavy lurker back then. When that site, um... changed, I (in continual lurk mode) followed some members over here but I think it was the old network54 boards then, or what I've come to think of now as the backup boards. Maybe I'm misremembering though...:ponder:

RancheroTheBee
June 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I needed help growing out my hair, and I was impatient. This site kept coming up in Google searches, but I lurked from June to January of this year because it would never accept my email address (it was an academic site). My emails weren't going through to the mods or site owners, so I gave up. Then, one day, I read that it accepted gmail, and my account was born!

(This is why I am Ranchero, and not Mishegoss. :p)

chelssix
June 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I googled "long hair forum".

jivete
June 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
After years of being stuck between shoulder and APL despite actively trying to grow my hair, I decided to do something dramatic. I started first with no poo and then found my way here. My hair is now longer than it's ever been. Ever. Thanks to LHC, I can actually imagine waist length hair. Last year, imagining BSL hair seemed an impossible dream. This really is an amazing site.

girlcat36
June 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I was looking for ways to regrow hair fast.
I had treatment for cancer in the spring of 2007. While I didn't lose all my hair from the chemo, the radiation left me with a large bald spot at the back of my head. I basically lost half my hair, and the growing in process would difficult---half my length was 12" longer than the rest.
I posted a very sad "New here" post, and the response was so supportive!
I had belonged to a few forums before this, but never posted much on them because of the snarkiness of some members.
The members of LHC are so tolerant and supportive of each other!

Kiraela
June 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I was referred here by a member of another longhair board - an article on some updo or another, I think. I don't remember which one, exactly. I liked it, and decided to stay! As a matter of fact, this is the only hair board I go to anymore - I haven't checked my original starting point in almost a year. LHC instantly felt like home to me.

brok3nwings
June 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I think i searched for "long hair" as i had decided that i wanted to have my long hair back, finally, after 4 years of mistakes! :)

Gutterfayrie
June 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I googled for a way to do rag curls for halloween in 2006 and found this sight, and lurked for almost a year before joining

Kaamos
June 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I am already in a german longhair community. Some members there are also members here and they wrote things like "in LHC they do this and that...". So I became curious and I came here too.
I already know some things about hair care so I actually don't need 2 hair communities. But since LHC is in English, it's a good way to practise a little (;

Misha
June 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Way back in 2006 I was looking up info about healthy long hair/treatments and found this site. I just had to join to be a part of this, and now have the best condition hair I've ever had. I can't wait until it's long!

Elphie
June 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I was looking for instructions to make a french braid. Seeing all of the other articles made me consider growing it in order to do them.

Xandergrammy
June 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I found this place a couple of months after my sister, my only sibling, passed away. I was looking for some place to hang out. The bereavement sites were just too depressing and I was sinking into a very dark place. I had long hair and thought it would be nice to look at pictures of really really long hair. I was directed to several different sites, but this one just felt like home and I've been here ever since. :cloud9:

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM
One of my facebook friends referred me here. Oddly enough, he's not a member here, though. Just a lover of long hair. :D

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
A friend of mine made me join. o.o JamieLeigh, she was all 'You HAVE to join! >=U' Yeah, with the angry face and everything! So, fearing for my life, I signed up! =o

...or it might've been more along the lines of her asking me like 5 or 10 times, and then I signed up. xP For some reason, I can't recall.

*ducks incoming objects*
<.<
>.>
xD

Hey!!! Well, however many times I did ask you, I bet you're glad you threw your hands up in defeat, and then came here. :D lol

ecologystudent
June 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
My sister found the site years ago, and started going on about conditioning and growing it long, and so forth. Of course, that was in my cut-hair-off-every-2-years phase, so I didn't pay much mind. And then I did decide to grow it out, so I googled for it and found it on my first try.

zen_oven
June 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
It's MadPirateBippy's fault. I told her I was thinking of growing my hair long and she told me about LHC. She's pretty dang smart, that Bippy--LHC has been a godsend.

paper
June 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I am a member of another long hair forum, and they were talking about how great this one was, so I joined. And it is great! :D

cakedcake
June 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I found LHC googling for indigo/henna information. Of course, I did this АFTER I had actually dyed my hair.

The bad part: I've stuck myself with black hair for quite awhile.

The good part: finding this place!

Speckla
June 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
A member on NC.com recommended this site (thanks redcelticcurls!). I had been growing out relaxer and dye and was just going for shoulder length hair until I came here and saw some gorgeous LONG curlies. Now I'm going for hip.

myrrhmaiden
June 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I guess I randomed across LHC. I do lot of hair related searches and this site often comes up. It is a staple of hair knowledge. I have always had a passion for long hair. It was only a matter of time before I would find myself here.

L4dybug
June 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I came across LHC by looking for long hair care. I am so glad I found it, just an awesome site, I only wished I had found it earlier. I just love the site.

Deb!
June 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I was looking for vintage/antique photos of women with extremely long hair and happened upon this site.

Dars
June 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I typed "long hair" into google. :p

Themyst
June 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I was going stir crazy with my hair. I was entertaining the crazy idea of getting a piggy back perm, but did not want the straggly aftermath that I see some women walking around with (since perm = upkeep, and I don't fuss with my hair much).

I actually searched for long hair websites, but didn't find any that satisfied me. Then, many months later (thankfully I still didn't make a decision with my hair yet) LHC came up in the search results, I lurked for a while, and now here I am.:)

I've since put all those crazy chemical hair-burning ideas behind me, did a healthy dose of henna, and am now very happy with my hair. On a good day.:)

Teacherbear
June 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
My hair had just reached waist length (or almost) and I hadn't had hair that long since I was about 7. I wanted to see what I could do to get my ends and scalp hair to match in color - since I wanted my hair the color of my ends, not the roots. (I never got a good satisfactory answer - so I didn't change my color). I was also curious as to victorian hair art. I got a few links.

I found a few long hair sites, but nothing felt right until I found LHL (net54), which later split and became LHL (.com) and LHC (net54).

Masara
June 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
My daughter had a dance show and I just couldn't get her hair nicely into a bun. I googled "ballert bun" and after a load of dance forums that weren't very clear or helpful, I found myslef here.
I had just started growing a very short cut out, so I read some more articles. Then I forgot about it, but every month or so I would find myself coming back and reading a few more. There were so many interesting ideas that I spent more and more time here. I finally joined after about 6 months.

Flynn
June 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
A quest for ideas of what to do with my hair that was prettier than a straight braid but didn't involve a great, big, heavy bun. Didn't find what I was looking for, but did discover a fun community and the concept of oiling, so I'm all good.

hennaphile
June 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Trying to grow it back after losing 2/3. Found it.

HotRag
June 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I don't remember exactly :( But through some googling for something.

angelakeats
June 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I decided I wanted to grow my hair out for my wedding.
With only 16 months to go, at that time, i was trying to find a way to grow hair faster.
I was lead here to find many great tips to take great care of my hair so that it will grow faster- well at least seem to ;)
I always end up chopping my hair off as soon as it gets past shoulder length so this site provides me with inspiration to leave my hair alone!!!
No more dying, tugging, flat ironing, crazy ideas etc....

I'm glad I am here and now I am more hair calm ;)

Ash
June 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I was looking for tips and recipes for natural hair care. I lurked for a very long time and figured that after reading most of the board that it would make sense to actually sign up.

Runzel
June 5th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I found this site while googling "extremely long hair". Dealing with a severe case of chronic illness for several years I had quite literally ignored my hair until a rare visitor pointed out to me that it was long. I was toying with the idea of actually doing something with it (read: cut) but I was curious as to what my terminal length was and what it'd be like to grow my hair super long.

I lurked for a few weeks until I realized that yes, I did want to join. The knowledge that there are lots of other people who want super-long hair was the tiny shove I needed to let my hair keep doing its thing, as well as put it in better condition. :cheese:

Heavenly Locks
June 5th, 2009, 02:34 AM
My friend from another (horse) forum posted a link to Nightshades article on damage and then the lurking began. I joined shortly after ;) :)

Thanks BlndeInDisguise (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=14384)!!

Lioness
June 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I was searching online for more info on COwashing and other less damaging ways to wash hair. At first i only looked on Belgian forums but there wasn't much actions going on so i keeped on looking and found this one. I think that was about two years ago...
At first i had no intention to grow my hair longer so i didn't register. But after i while, after seeing all these gorgeous healthy long locks i decided too grow it longer again.
And thats how i ended up here :D

simply_me
June 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
A link to the OCM (completely unrelated to hair) on another forum ... I would have never guessed a place like this existed! Glad I stumbled over here.

This is exactly how I found this community. It just so happened that I just decided to grow my hair at about the same time, so it was a very happy accident finding this community. :D

AnneAdeline
June 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I do not remember how I ended up here, actually. :google: might have been involved...

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Ha ha .. good question.. !
Well I found LHC from a blog. I was looking online to find information about soaps ( other than the olive oil soap that I use) and I found a blog that redirect me here. Strangely the google didn't gave me direct links for this site. ( and later that I searched I noticed that LHC comes in the third or fourth page of the google results).
So I tried to sign in imeediately.. BUT.. I couldn't because the site didn't accept any of the classic web accounts, including yahoo, gmail etc.
So I sent a mail to the admins to asked them how I could sing in here.
They kindly answered ( and very quicly I have to say) that they made some changes and that I could sign in with my yahoo account. :)

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I was looking for vintage/antique photos of women with extremely long hair and happened upon this site.

If I type "long hair" in google it give LHC as the fourth result in the second page.
Those who come on top in results are the longhairlovers.

I think that this is a problem of how google scans the page and has a lot to do with the tags in each thread, which I think most of us never bother to add when we open a new thread.

This is not good not only for the results that google gives but for the searches of the site. No tags means no accurate search results. :shrug:

thankyousir74
July 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I had just cut my hair very short and I wanted to care for it in the best way possible as it grew out. Voila LHC! :bounce: :bunny:

Vrushali
July 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I went thru chemical straightening and then a haircut gone too short. Thats when I decided to care for my hair and grow it out long....enter LHC (thru google I think):cheese:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I went to a salon that totally ruined my hair. It was so dry the ends were breaking off in my hands and the rest felt like cotton candy and I was looking for general advice on how to tame my frizzies because all my life I thought I had straight hair! lol

MandaMom2Three
July 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I had been growing my hair out for a while but it was looking awful. Someone mentioned this forum in the comments of a blog I read. The rest is, as they say, history :D (or should that be HAIRstory :lol: )

beehives
July 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I decided to start taking better care of my hair around November of last year, so I was forever googling (I guess it's a verb, right?) questions I had regarding trimming, getting chemical dye out (I tried honey and cinnamon lightening), which products to use, whether to supplement, etc. The LHC seemed to have a thread on everything I needed and wanted to know, so I joined.

I don't post very often, but I lurk around here every day, and my hair has never been happier. You're all lovely.

Firegarnet
July 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I was trying to get away from a reliance on products and while googling found the thread on WO. I instantly joined for that thread and for the hair style ideas. Wonderful place.;)

JamiG
July 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I saw it mentioned on naturallycurly.com.

swanns
July 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I was (and still am) a member in the longhair community on LiveJournal, and a lot of the people there kept mentioning TLHC so I had to check it out :D

Sif
July 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I think I found this forum when I was playing the google search game one day looking for instructions on how to do some cool braids. It lead me to a thread here, can't even remember which one because I quickly wandered away exploring other things. I had been growing my hair out for a while and was interested in learning how to make it healthier and I found a bunch of great advice. I can already feel a nice difference in my hair in the two weeks since I stumbled upon this great site. A very happy accident.

Silver Strands
July 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I found LHC while looking for a way to remove the henna that had turned
way too dark.

Nothing worked and I ended up cutting it off, but I stayed because I love all
the information on here and the encouragement to grow it long once again.

rogue_psyche
July 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think it was because on Livejournal I was joining a bunch of hair communities. And someone on no_poo X-posted to longhair. I joined longhair, which periodically links over here. Then I saw that this site was so much more active than the longhair at LJ.

I think a factor involved in all of this was that my Lolita fashion LJ communities get swamped with cosplayers and tweens frim May to September and I have to step away for my sanity.

ButterCup02
July 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
In a horse forum I belong too there was a thread about hair care, and a member there pointed us this way :) I'm so glad she did!

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
When I first decided to grow out my hair (4 years ago) I lurked like it was my job. Then life happened, and I went away for a bit. I popped on again in April and someone said something I wanted to comment on, so I had no choice but to join.

Newniepg
July 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I don't really remember! I think I probably ended up here from going through link after link when I was having a 'just surfing' afternoon. :)

lundmir
July 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I was researching CO washes, because thanks to cones my hair was hating me. I found this place, and now my hair is in better shape than when it was virgin!

vamq
July 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I used to be on the Belgian/Dutch hair boards, but things got pretty quiet there so I went here :D

And how did I find that Belgian board..uhm..well, I was already planning to grow my hair long, so I tried to find some decent info about it on the internet...and I found that board..
I had a hard time putting my hair up every day, and changing my shower-routines, but I guess I stayed because I know from myself I have a hard time finishing something. But I really wanted this, because I always thought of long hair as really beautiful. And I wanted to show my family I could do this, because they always said my hair was not..well..pretty enough to grow long.
Last week, my mum told me she envied my long locks. Hah! :D

But while I proved my family all wrong, and I have "long hair" (so I finished this), I won't stop caring for my hair. Because my hair also is kind of my hobby right now. I love to buy hair stuff, and try new updo's :)

tigerlily896
July 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I was looking for a no heat way to straighten my hair. I googled and googled and in the midst of it all there was a link to a post about wrapping your hair a certain way. I tried it and the results were good! Not flat iron straight but straight enough!

Funny thing is now since being here for awhile I've come to embrace my curls more. Even got a comment from the hubby the other day on my "sexy hair." :)

tommiefromva
July 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've been growing my hair for about four years now but it has been a slow go. I found the forum by searching for long hair sites. I have lost a lot of hair by brushing it a lot and having the barber trim the ends. I have quit the brush and am taking vitamins and I'm finally seeing some length I won't be happy until I'm waist length.

SeaShell
July 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
my hair was in a downward spiral for years, I'd highlighted it too much, dyed it back to its original dark brown then bleached it again. On top of that I tried this awful product called "Easy Straight" it was a chemical treatment supposed to make your hair dry straight...I though a one time chemical treatment would be healthier than ironing my hair every day, but all it did was make it break off half way down. I'd been trying to grow my hair for years but the breakage was making it cut itself shorter. Finally back in October I found this site and lurked a while feeling my hair was not nice enough to join, but in January I cut it to APL- maybe a little shorter and joined. With all the great advice on this forum I've managed to get it back in good condition and grow it back to BSL already. :)

maryann
July 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
My daughter introduced me to this forum; she's been gleaning helpful information here and sharing it with me. She finally suggested I join :-)

:blossom::blossom::blossom: :blossom::blossom::blossom: :blossom:

Wicked Princess
July 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've always had relatively long hair (down to my knees when I was a little girl, between waist and tailbone as an adult). It's always been in fairly good condition. I even permed it a couple times and it was still pretty nice. Then I moved to an apartment that had terrible, terrible hard water and it's done worse things to my hair's condition than I could ever dream of!

Desperate to find some advice about how to help my hair, I searched blindly around the internet until I found this site! I signed up, promptly forgot about it, but in the last two weeks have been bumbling my way through the massive stores of information here, and loving every minute of it!

Note - I still live in this apartment, but will be moving next month...thank goodness!

MsBubbles
July 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
The lady I'd been getting highlights & "Mom" haircut from for 10 years fell dramatically and suddenly ill, and I ran out of cash for more highlights. After 6 months of roots which weren't really as bad as I'd feared, I decided I liked feeling my hair on my shoulders again and started one day to surf for long hair care. I thought I'd have one final long hair fling before I hit menopause and went bald (not sure where I got that notion from). I think I went to hairboutique first, where there were a lot of misplaced LHCers hanging out while the LHC board was down. Eventually I wandered over here and I never left (tried once!)

Fiferstone
July 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was looking for recipes for henna, and here I am!

Zindell
July 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I have been wishing for long beautiful hair all my life. What I didn't realize was that the hairstylists I went to, didn't help at all. Instead they told me things like:
"Not everyone can grow long hair"
"Your 'sidehair' can probably not grow long" (Eh what?)
And they kept trim (rather cut) too much everytime I was there.

I also have had my hair permed through the 80's, then bleached highlights through the 90's. (There was an overlap where I did both. My poor hair...)

Then one day I just got tired of ppl at work asking me when to cut. (Hinting that my long'ish hair didn't look all that good, and they were probably correct)...

So beeing the Web-Elf I am, I went to the net for help. I typed in "long hair" and eventually ended up on The Long Hair Community.

The rest is history. A happy history! :)

Amara
July 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I had hair shorter than BSLish my whole entire life. I would grow it a bit, chop it, grow it, chop it way short, grow it, chop it to chin, etc. It was fun and I loved all the different styles I went through. At one point during one of my growing out phases, I started to think about chopping it, and did some searching for styles etc online. I happened across a long hair picture - waist length maybe - and I thought, wow! I could do that! It was like I'd never considered just letting it grow even longer! That may sound silly but it just hadn't occured to me before as an option for *me*. I had been really happy with my various shorter lengths. So after seeing this picture I decided to keep going, figuring I didn't have too far to go (I had gotten down to around BSL when I started looking online for haircut inspiration) for waist, and I figured every inch would be longer than my hair had ever been before - how exciting! So I started looking online for more long hair pics for inspiration and advice on growing it long. I found LHC, joined right away, and I haven't looked back since then. :)

FallenAngel
July 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm an old friend to Aisling, and when she just kept getting longer and longer hair I eventually HAD to see what it was all about. :D

So, here I am. Not long, but growing.

LisaB234
July 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Newbie here. . . I found the group via google. Seeing the pictures of long healthy hair enticed me to stay and learn. I also liked the attitude of find what works for you and your hair, not THIS IS THE WAY. Thanks for being a welcoming open-minded group!

Bunnyhare
July 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Now I'm extremely likely to stay long term because it ticks all the boxes. Also, I've never met any online community people before, or ever realy wanted to. Here, I want to meet everyone!
me too!
i was searching for help for medical hair loss..

Ella Menneau P.
July 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
One of my old Mai Fa hairsticks broke, and I decided to do a google search for hair sticks. SOmehow I landed here. What an amazing place this is! I had only known hw to do a cinnebun and a french braid, and now I have a handful (or two!) of new up-do styles! And I have switched to CO and oiling with jojoba, and my hair is thick and luscious.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

BirdieGene
July 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I found this when I googled "grow long hair" and this site was in the list. I had just cut off the remnants of a stripped and dyed pixy cut leaving me with a very poofy mullet. I had trouble signing up at first, but kept coming back to soak up all the glowing positivity that just jumps from this board.

Laylah
July 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
About a year ago I ran out of coconut oil, so I decided to try something new. I heard about shea butter and EVOO so I was googling about different oils for long hair when I stumbled on LHC. I lurked for a few months but then school started and I forgot about it. A few weeks ago I was sorting through the clutter of all my old bookmarks and came across LHC. After a few days I signed up and I love it! Such a nice forum- why didn't I sign up earlier?

Cereus
July 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well, I had decided to let my hair grow. I was jokingly saying that I was never going to cut it again! But my hair was frizzy and I thought that maybe I could find some ideas on haircare by googling. Well, lo and behold I ended up on LHC and my hair is no longer frizzy (well, much less so) and I think I might really hit tailbone! I could never grow my hair this long before. I kept ending up with one side longer than the other. I thought one side just didn't grow. I think that my biggest problem was washing it too much. I thought it had to be squeeky clean. I do love this site.

jlpearce
July 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I'm on the Livejournal long hair community, and I followed a link. I lurked for a while, but then got frustrated because I couldn't see all the pictures, so I joined.

BranwenWolf
July 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I think I was looking for buns or stuff to do with longer hair. (longer than the APL that everyone else considers "long"!)
I stumbled in here and started reading the forums and liked it. :)

shadowclaw
July 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I know I was googling information about long hair care, though I'm not sure what exactly I was looking for. There's a good chance I was looking for natural conditioning treatments.

Peregrine
July 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
After I met a lady with really nice hip length braids my vague idea of growing my hair became a decision. But since the last time my hair was past APL my friends had made comments of how dry it looked I decided I needed more information. So I looked up "growing hair long" and eventually found myself here. I was amazed with the diverse wealth of information found here and, more astounding to me than that, the lack of rude comments. So I lurked until I found myself wanting to post.

Oberon88
July 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I was looking for ways to take care of long hair.

Arctic_Mama
July 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Exactly! I was searching for the OCM and found The Beauty Bottle. I kept seeing these siggies with beautiful hair and some very confusing medieval titles and I think I got curious and wandered over.

I missed my old long hair and once I saw how great it could be, I committed to it and joined up. LOVE it here!

23_seconds
July 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
||||||||||

Jinx2234
July 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
About 2 years ago someone asked for help with growing their hair on a forum I belong to. They were given a link to the LHC, mentioning what a great place it was. My hair was already sort of long, and I thought I might be able to get hairstyle ideas (I was growing bored of my normal bun) so I clicked on the link. I lurked for a while, getting some great ideas and managed to improve my hair.

I tried to register, but my school e-mail account was not acceptable. Before I had a chance to get a new e-mail address, the forum crashed and then my laptop died so I kind of forgot about this place. After getting a new laptop, I rediscovered the LHC, but had a heavy workload at school so I did not register (I always felt so guilty spending time here when I should have been studying). After finishing school I finally joined. I love this place; there is so much good advice and everyone is so friendly.

free_hug
July 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM
I even saw the "old" LHC :D And checked out a lot of thing, pics and articles it had, and told myself "Oh woooow, this looks great, too bad i have my thin/fine hair and i could never grow it out..." :)

And a little later i googled the site, and i was pretty disappointed i didn't find it :( and a little later again... and it was there in its new form! Sadly enough, i had no access to most of the pics and articles for me to admire other people's gorgeous hair, and i still strongly believed it was impossible for me to grow it out, but at some point i joined anyways. I just quietly lurked around, discovered that there's actually a whole lot of thin&fines growing it out and it looks GREAT! It just requires adequate care and attention.

So a few months after i joined but didn't come back regularly i decided to give up all the pixies, blowdrying, and doing all the artificial stuff to make my hair look just a bit bigger and longer. You know, i was flat ironing it to make it look longer, cause i was so much prettier that way :D when only a few months of not flat ironing would have gotten me that little more length with healthy hair... can you believe it?

So after my last bad, bad experience at the hairdressers (this March - i actually left the place crying) i came back here and started some active LHCing. And out of the constant change of good and bad haired pixie days i'm heading towards a stably pretty wavy bob, and happy with it so far. For a looong time when i just read the forums i thought all the CO and oiling and other stuff were a little too hair-obsessed for me, but getting rid of shampoos and heat styling stuff and getting into moisturizing and all the things that looked way too exotic before (aloe gel and coconut oil) turned out to work when used wisely, and they make an amazing difference!

So being more active on LHC turned me into a hair geek :) and i'm soooo happy about it, and very pleased with the results i have so far, and i'm so excited about how far this could get :) i'm still not so sure that past shoulder-length hair would ever work for me (really, it's so fragile that even shampooing every other day and a little blow-drying would turn it into dry straw after a few months), but - who knows? My hair already had some changes i never expected. So i'm not leaving the site for a while now.

UrsaMama
July 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I went looking for hair care routines for my dd since her hair has a slight curl to it and I knew her hair needed different care than mine. Ended up here and stayed for myself. :p

rhysiana
July 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I was another one looking for long hair updo ideas that were actually for long hair. This was shortly after I was involved in a discussion about how long hair wasn't seen as professional (I am constantly mistaken for a student and was finding it annoying) and one of my friends insisted that she can only have long hair (BSL) and have it be professional because she gets it highlighted, layered, and styled. I refuse to go down that route, so I decided to look into what else the world of updos might offer me. And now I have a huge collection of hairtoys. LHC is an enabling machine.

Gigi1962
July 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
I found it when I was trying to find out how to improve the condition of my hair (which has been damaged by years of highlights and straightening irons). I have spent hours reading through the threads, and feel that I have learned so much already.

It has made me more determined to take care of my hair. I had also been thinking about my age, and wondering if I should just get my hair cut off. But, now I can see that long hair can be beautiful at any age.

CelticAngel
July 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I was trying to find information on henna and long hair, and this site came up in a google search. Now I'm hooked!

Unofficial_Rose
July 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I was taken by the henna bars sold by Lush in the town centre where I was working on a contract. So I started using the Lush hennas, googled to find more information on henna, found hennaforhair.com.

There was a link to LHC on the forum at hennaforhair.com. I've been on here ever since. :D

snowbear
July 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I was perusing the internet, and happened across a mention of OCM in an article. In that article was a link to TLHC. IIRC, I joined immediately, though didn't post for a few months. I remember my goal length being no longer than waist, which is about 32" on me.
...Then I got sucked in. :lol:

EtherealOde
July 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
I googled long hair care, and ended up here. Best find I have ever made. My hair appreciates the new changes in my routine and it looks better already.