PDA

View Full Version : How you wear your hair with a snood?

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
How do you wear your hair with a snood? Haven't seen any threads about this amazing hair accessory yet!

I love the look of snoods, they can be formal or informal, which is just perfect! :cheese:

I've been thinking of making some, but in the meantime, I finally got my experimental ones in the mail!

I was wondering what hairstyles everyone here who wears snoods wear underneath their snood.

So... what do you prefer to wear under your snood? Some sort of loose bun, a braid, a braided bun, a knot, a roll, a twist.....etc etc?

If you wear a braid, do you pin it up in any way or just try to twist it up a bit so it is short enough and just throw it in there, and what type of braid? French, fishtail, dutch, english, rope, crown....anything else I don't name?

What colors do you have/like the best, and does that change the type of hairdo you wear underneath?

ETA: Forgot to ask, do you use bobby pins to pin it in, or do you find that it stays well without them, depending on your hairdo underneath?

saracuda
April 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Great idea! I have a snood, but don't know what to do with it!

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Run Cheese, Run....lol.

Loviatar
April 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I want a snood! Here's what I'd do:

Put hair in a ponytail, pull hairtie right down ot the end of the pony without it falling out.
Put snood on, fix it properly at front of head so it sits right.
'Hook' the ends of ponytail under so they are against my neck.
Drop the 'folded' pony into the bottom of the snood.
Fix snood at back of neck and behind ears.
Hair should sit kind of 'rolled/folded' into the snood and the bottom of the snood should be in a kind of u shape.

I dont know if that's any help, but that's what I'd do.

Anje
April 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I got a snood last fall, but I barely wear it. I've had it loose in the past (well, rolled around my hand and shoved into the thing), but I wasn't happy with the results.

Redheaded Raven
April 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have a bunch of snoods in many different colors and I LOVE the look, but they don't seem to like the way that I put my hair up in them. Oh they look good, but when I take it down, UGH! :rolleyes:Matted hair! I have very silky hair and this is one of the only ways that I end up with mats, so what's a girl to do? Any suggestions from any snood goddesses out there? :cheese:

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I want a snood! Here's what I'd do:

Put hair in a ponytail, pull hairtie right down ot the end of the pony without it falling out.
Put snood on, fix it properly at front of head so it sits right.
'Hook' the ends of ponytail under so they are against my neck.
Drop the 'folded' pony into the bottom of the snood.
Fix snood at back of neck and behind ears.
Hair should sit kind of 'rolled/folded' into the snood and the bottom of the snood should be in a kind of u shape.

I dont know if that's any help, but that's what I'd do.

Hmmm, that sounds interesting. I'll have to try it :)

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I got a snood last fall, but I barely wear it. I've had it loose in the past (well, rolled around my hand and shoved into the thing), but I wasn't happy with the results.

Yeah, I would imagine just shoviing the hair in would be annoying, matting, and probably wouldn't feel or look right, hence the thread! :)

I have a bunch of snoods in many different colors and I LOVE the look, but they don't seem to like the way that I put my hair up in them. Oh they look good, but when I take it down, UGH! :rolleyes:Matted hair! I have very silky hair and this is one of the only ways that I end up with mats, so what's a girl to do? Any suggestions from any snood goddesses out there? :cheese:

Agreed!!! I'd love to know from some more experienced snood-wearers what type of hair style works underneath with less matting!

mommy101405
April 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I voted no. I had to look up what it was :)

OhioLisa
April 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Honestly, I think the best way of wearing one is what someone already suggested, simply wrap it around your hand and (carefully) stuff it into the snood. Adjust the snood where you want it on your head, then fan out the hair a bit to fill out the snood. I don't think they look right with a bun underneath, personally, but that's just my opinion.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/ThreadSnood.jpg

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Honestly, I think the best way of wearing one is what someone already suggested, simply wrap it around your hand and (carefully) stuff it into the snood. Adjust the snood where you want it on your head, then fan out the hair a bit to fill out the snood. I don't think they look right with a bun underneath, personally, but that's just my opinion.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/ThreadSnood.jpg

Yeah, I didn't expect them to look very good wth a bun, but I think they would look awesoem with a braid or a crown braid.
Great picture by the way!!!

OhioLisa
April 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
The only problem is that with a braid or crown braid, it's really not going to fill the snood out, so you're going to end up with an empty net just hanging there. Not attractive IMO.

Xanthippe
April 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM

That is exactly what I do - loosely roll it around my hand and gently place it in the snood with a bit of adjusting. I wasn't sure which option to pick, so I went with cheese :D

Oh, and I usually use a couple of bobby pins to keep it up along with the tie that goes around the edge.

Angela_Rose
April 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
As a frequent wearer of The Snood, i usually just loosely wrap the length round my hand and then slide the snood on front-to-back with the other hand, then scooch the hair around inside to fill it out. For an anchor, i cross two sets of booby pins on either side of the front of the snood. i actually wore a snood in a friend's wedding this fall- i made a lace braid at the front of my head (i was the only longhair in the bridal party, excepting the bride whose hair is 3" longer than mine), , wound the rest of the hair into the snood, and pinned the snood into the braid.

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
That is exactly what I do - loosely roll it around my hand and gently place it in the snood with a bit of adjusting. I wasn't sure which option to pick, so I went with cheese :D

Oh, and I usually use a couple of bobby pins to keep it up along with the tie that goes around the edge.

Yeah, I fgured those who wrapped and stuffed could go with "roll" but I guess I wasn't thinking quite properly at the time was I? :o

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I did a bun, put it on, shook my head until the bun fell out! :lol:

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Hehehee :)
That's what I was picturing with the loose bun selection, I guess. :D

hrimfaxi
April 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I just kind of fold/wrap it up in my hand and shove it in. It seems to work fine for me. :shrug:

Meli
April 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I don't even own any snood so I voted for the cheesecloth... :p But I've been thinking many times that I should make some kind of medieval-looking snood and wear it at a medieval fair or something.

KatKeRo
April 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I do it like this also, only I pin the sides of my hair up with a bobbypin. I secure the snood with a couple of bobbypins.

Nynaeve
April 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I do it like this also, only I pin the sides of my hair up with a bobbypin. I secure the snood with a couple of bobbypins.

I've found that I have to use like 2 bobbypins with my snoods, still playing around with them in different ways, though.

AnneAdeline
April 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have two snoods (one that I bought and one that I made using the bought one as a guide) but don't wear them too often. When I do where a snood, I go with the rolling and stuffing in. Then I gently unroll it through the holes in the netting.

I find I don't need to pin it for it to stay on.

Where did you all get your snoods?
I got mine at a Civil War Reenactment in town. (I was so excited I had finally found a snood. :D)

nicolezoie
May 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
I made the mistake, once, of using a snood that was too big to contain my hair, and then spent the day moving house. I'd used the snood before with my hair casually wrapped around my hand and "dropped" into the snood, and was fine. But, not this time. When I took the snood off, my hair didn't drop. It was (I think) mid-thigh length at the time, so that's alot of hair to stay put. It took a LONG time to detangle that matted mess. So, ever since then, I braid my hair fairly loosely and do the same wrap and drop technique.

Periwinkle
May 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
I own a snood (came in a job lot of random hair accessories I bought in a charity shop). I've yet to wear it: I absolutely detest the look and find the snood very uncomfortable.

KatKeRo
May 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I have two snoods (one that I bought and one that I made using the bought one as a guide) but don't wear them too often. When I do where a snood, I go with the rolling and stuffing in. Then I gently unroll it through the holes in the netting.

I find I don't need to pin it for it to stay on.

Where did you all get your snoods?
I got mine at a Civil War Reenactment in town. (I was so excited I had finally found a snood. :D)

I make my own.

happylynngilmer
May 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I chose the "other obvious".
I just stick all my loose hair in my snood. Sometimes DH has to help me push in runaway hairs.

This is the only pic I have access to right now (at work):

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/happylynngilmer/snood.jpg

ETA: I got my snood at a celtic faire in 2001. I only wear it to faires or on Celtic holidays in which I dress up.

Magdalene
May 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I do two dutch braids- the braid bumps at my temple hold the snood in place, and I just loop the braids and let them sit in the well of the snood.

CountessDeJager
May 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
While I love the look, my two snoods don't get any use because I want it to be effortless- wound around the hand and toss in. I do that but both the elastic band snood and the one made on a headband both will slide backwards over time. I should just get over the "you don't work the way I want you to" and use a few bobby pins like people have mentioned and work well for them.

Nynaeve
May 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
While I love the look, my two snoods don't get any use because I want it to be effortless- wound around the hand and toss in. I do that but both the elastic band snood and the one made on a headband both will slide backwards over time. I should just get over the "you don't work the way I want you to" and use a few bobby pins like people have mentioned and work well for them.

Yeah, I was tired of it slipping down. I even got a nice piece of ribbon to use as a tie and threaded it through the loops of one of my snoods to tie it down and see if that made it stay better. It didn't work out as well as I planned sadly, so I've still had to use bobby pins, but with the bobby pins it stays in place better than anything I've ever used, even while sleeping.

Saranne772
June 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
I wear my hair in aloose bun shoved in the snood. Mostly during housework because my parents asked me not to wear it in public!

hurricane_gia
June 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
I've never worn a snood for more than three minutes; they slide right off my head.

But when I was active in the SCA, I wore a caul (http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/caulmake.html). I put my hair into two dutch braids going into a bud, then I slipped the caul over the bun and pinned it to the bun with straight pins.

AutumnLeaves
June 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Maybe it is just because my hair isn't all that long yet, but I just leave it loose inside the snood.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0341.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0342.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0340.jpg

Nynaeve
June 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe it is just because my hair isn't all that long yet, but I just leave it loose inside the snood.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0341.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0342.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0340.jpg

I do the same, but it always makes my hair get matted, of course my hair has been unhappy lately anyway.

I've never liked snoods with patterns and rarely ones with beads, but I really like your snood! :cheese:

AutumnLeaves
June 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Thank you, Nynaeve. I ordered from a woman who makes them on ebay. I got her link from Rain and she does all different kinds of snoods, with and without beads. I asked for the clear glass beads just so it would not look so hairnetty!

Nynaeve
June 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Thank you, Nynaeve. I ordered from a woman who makes them on ebay. I got her link from Rain and she does all different kinds of snoods, with and without beads. I asked for the clear glass beads just so it would not look so hairnetty!

Well, they look absolutely fabulous, and it doesn't look hairnetty at all, especially since they catch the light so well and it almost looks like sparkley rainbows inside. And I like things that sparkle. :D

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I wore a headcovering for a while. NOT going back lol

TatsuOni
October 6th, 2019, 02:55 AM
Loose or in a braid.

lapushka
October 6th, 2019, 04:06 AM
Snood? Not for me. A calorimetry I will wear, but that's about it.

Begemot
October 7th, 2019, 03:54 AM
I wear it differently depending on my mood :)

BeepBooop
October 18th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Crazy yarn addict checking in. I don't wear snoods or hoodies because I usually am wearing a bun that renders any protective head-covering useless >-<

Laurab
November 10th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I want to try a snood! i found a vintage knitting pattern for one ages ago, it seems like a fun thing to make.
I think my hairs short enough to be in the "just leave it in loose" camp

Atrocia
December 4th, 2019, 10:14 AM
I’d like to try a snood! I crocheted one from a vintage pattern I found on Etsy, but the yarn it called for was long since discontinued and it turned out too small with what I used.

Siv
December 4th, 2019, 10:29 AM
I feel weird covering my hair. Not sure why. I just don't feel comfortable with it.

fieldsofflowers
November 11th, 2020, 08:26 PM
I don't wear a snood but I wish I did. I adore vintage curls in snoods *swoons*

Fiorentina
December 3rd, 2022, 01:48 PM
I don't wear a snood. You people are crazy yarn addicts!! RUN, CHEESE, RUN!!!

TatsuOni
December 4th, 2022, 07:55 AM
I don't wear a snood. You people are crazy yarn addicts!! RUN, CHEESE, RUN!!!

We'll trap your cheese with our yarn!

GoatLady
December 4th, 2022, 10:57 AM
It's a big NOPE from me. I don't find them at all attractive and would much rather wear a pretty hair toy.