PDA

View Full Version : Hair Appointment...Totally Scared!

blackfrostqueen
April 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Photos are in the last post.

Alright, so, I've been debating the idea about layers for a while now. And well, the other day I had just about had it with my hair! I love long hair don't get my wrong...and would love it all one length, but really it's just looking so dull and boring right now. And though my hair is thin, it's heavy! I've never noticed the weight before, even when young and it longer then it is now, it never felt this heavy. It's been giving me a headache every time I put it behind my ears!

The other day I just wanted it down - nice and flowing - but not in the way of my cooking (cutting up chicken for my puppy - no flame involved so my hair was safe). However, the dumb hair just kept sliding forward, getting into the slimy chicken. And stupidly, on my part, I tucked the locks behind my ears. Not even five minutes later, hair still behind my ears, a rather painful headache appeared.

So having had enough with the headaches and the always having my hair up (which I love, just not all the time - I mean why have long hair if you can't enjoy it down every now-and-then), I decided to finally go and talk with a stylist and get some simple yet, yes shorter, layers cut into my long hair.

But now that I've called and made the appointment I'm scared. I don't want the stylist to go nuts chopping my hair. I've had bad experience in the past with stylists and layers. But I think if I really talk to him and ask/speak-up while he's cutting it, I might not have the same problems as I did last time. And the stylist, thank God, isn't the same stylist I've had in the past...so hopefully that will help.

But now I'm scared...does anyone have any pointers or suggestions on talking with salon stylists? Like what will help get my point across or make him understand that I don't want to chop my hair!

lora410
April 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
just remember layers make up dos harder to work without hairs sticking all over the place (yeah my hairs layered) alot of people get the fringe around the face and leave the back area alone though.

atlantaz3
April 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Do you have a particular style in mind? Have a picture of what you want? Or know exactly how many inches you want cut off? My stylists knows I measure my hair before and after cuts so I know exactly how much she cuts off. She might think I'm strange but it's my hair and I won't let a stylist bully me into cut.
Just explain exactly what you want, have them repeat back to you want you and if you aren't sure they aren't going to do what YOU want then leave.

Blueglass
April 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Be very clear about your goals. Sometimes it's really good if the hairdresser thinks your a little crazy, that way, they are more careful.

spidermom
April 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think the better solution is to secure your hair comfortably out of the way before you do things like chop slimey chicken. Why not ask for a small trim first and/or perhaps a little face-framing fringe? That way you can see if the stylist does what you ask. If so, you can plan a bigger change next time if you still want it.

Nevermore
April 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'd suggest that you tell them you want to ok each change before it's made. It's time-consuming, but it should prevent any serious OMG NO! type things from happening. Even better, it'll let the stylist give you a better veiw of their true colors-if they act huffy/annoyed/anything other than completely accomodating, you can avoid any hair killing by not letting them touch it.

Shanarana
April 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I've been told that having layers will also make you hair look finer than it is, perhaps something to keep in mind.

Every time I've gone for layers they tell me I have to cut a chunk off the lenght for it to look right and flow together. I'm growing out layers now.

UrbanEast
April 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Be very clear about your goals. Sometimes it's really good if the hairdresser thinks your a little crazy, that way, they are more careful.

Totally agree with this.

sapphire-o
April 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I see you have straight hair. In my opinion layers on straight hair don't look very impressive. Maybe there are tricks to styling them, but the loads of Asians here with layers simply look they have thinner hair. The short and the long are all stick straight and blend together anyway. Try to find a picture of your ideal hair style to show the stylist. And make sure that picture doesn't show a woman with soft curly hair, or you'd have to get a perm to get the same effect. :)

Druid of Alba
April 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Go with what you want in your mind. If you are unsure, than that isn't good. I just had my long hair cut short (it was really damaged, now I am growing it long healthily and naturally, with the help of you guys :beerchug:), and I knew what I wanted. I got what I wanted too, because I was clear so she understood what to do. If you have a picture of someone with hair that you want yours like, that would help too. Anyway, good luck with your appointment! :)

wintersun99
April 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Make it VERY clear where you want the shortest layer to fall. I remember in high school asking for long layers, thinking I wanted the shortest somewhere below my chin. I ended up with ends that wanted to curl into my nose instead.

If the stylist starts cutting it shorter than you like, protest. If he/she does it again, get up and leave. Don't let them finish or "even it up" or anything.

Shanarana
April 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Make it VERY clear where you want the shortest layer to fall. I remember in high school asking for long layers, thinking I wanted the shortest somewhere below my chin. I ended up with ends that wanted to curl into my nose instead.

If the stylist starts cutting it shorter than you like, protest. If he/she does it again, get up and leave. Don't let them finish or "even it up" or anything.

I agree, to many times I think we just sit there and cringe as we see our hair taking a beating without speaking up, hoping that the end result is what we want and in most cases it's not. If I ever went back to a salon again (which in unlikely) and didn't like what they were doing it I would just say STOP and get up and leave before I regret the whole experience.

blackfrostqueen
April 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice. I do have an idea of what I would like to do with my hair. Pictures and all, I'm just a little worried, because I am trying to combined a few into one to get what I want that the hairstylist won't have a clue what I am talking about.

I know I don't want to cut a lot of it into layers. But a few to frame the face (the pieces that usually fall into my way) and maybe some bangs.

I'll post photos when I'm done at the stylists. The appointments coming up...25th! Hopefully all won't be too bad.

Wish me luck!

blackfrostqueen
April 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Alright here is my update.... I just got back from the hair salon, and after explaining exactly what I wanted, I believe he came incredibly close! I now have bangs and though I think they are a little fuller then I would have liked, I don't not like them. And also I think they are a bit fuller cause of the round brush and blow-dryer he used on them.
But anyways, there are some light layers in the front. Very thin and wispy, I like them! He didn't cut chunks out of my hair, I am so happy about that!!! Also he layered the ends just a bit, cutting off two inches (I just grew those to inches, but they were really back split and all) and then the layering is half an inch up from that. Making, to me at least, the ends seem a bit more full. Don't know how that works, but I like it. :)

Looking at it now, I wish I either would have had him cut the face framing layers a bit more - thickening them. Or maybe just not rolling the bang as much, the appear a bit puffy to me. LOL :D I haven't had bangs since before I was six. This is so weird.

I'm happy though, and can't wait to see how I will feel about it all in a few days or week. Maybe by then I'll have trained my center-part to quit splitting my bangs! ;)

Below are photos of what happened to me.:cheese:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=917&pictureid=10125

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=917&pictureid=10123

Shanarana
April 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Very pretty, I love the fringe.

Future CCC-SLP
April 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I have angles in the front of my hair, not throughout the whole head and for me it adds a little something to my hair and not just plain. (In my hair one length just hangs) The one thing I have learned when dealing with stylists is to speak your mind, and have him show you what he is going to cut until you feel comfortable with it. Its better to speak up ahead of time instead of waiting till its too late. Remember you are a paying costumer and the service they are providing requires you love your hair when you leave!

Peggy E.
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
So glad you are happy with your trim and fringe - that's what really counts! Once you do your own wash/dry you won't have a problem with "puffy" fringe. All that business with the blow-drying/styling that people are always bemoaning the fact they can't duplicate it, once they step out of the salon.

You look beautiful, though, and will with or without puffy fringe! ;o)

heidihug
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Very pretty, blackfrostqueen! I think the full bang thing will work itself out after a wash or two, and looking at them, he did not cut them too short, which is great! You can always have a bit more snipped off, but putting it back on is a bit harder :o.

loves2spin
April 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
You look lovely! I'm glad you are happy with your cut. Be sure to keep a photo of what you have and show it to the stylist (the same one!) next time you go. Very nice. And how brave of you!

MissHair
April 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous, Im pleased that you were happy with the cut he gave you!

blackfrostqueen
April 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone, glad you like it too!