PDA

View Full Version : Some days I just hate my hair.... *rant*

bahannas
June 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Today is one of those days.

Last week I got sideswept bangs and a 1cm trim to get rid of damaged ends. I love my hairdresser, but she's not the most gentle with my hair. She used a fine comb on my wet, fine hair; thus resulting in a lot of breakage. Now, I am one OCD person. Everytime I hear a hair sound, I cringe. She did the usual blowfrying, I left it at that. I was too caught up in graduation to care.

Today, a group of friends and I decided to go to the mall. I thought it would be okay to heat-style my hair about once a month, so I planned to straighten my hair this morning. I usually don't use a heat-protectant spray (crazy, I know) because the kind I have makes my hair very crunchy. So I used it today on a whim, and go figure, my hair was a disaster. "Oh, I can just rinse it out." I rinsed, I blowfryed, I flat ironed. Yes, I ripped a cheap brush through my hair when wet. The results were all but successful. My hair looked and felt horrible, but I was in a hurry and couldn't deal with it. Throughout the day, I ripped through my hair. I came home to wash it; deep conditioned twice. Then, while rinsing, I gently combed through it with a huge shower comb. Hair was everywhere. Now, to me, a LOT of hair loss is about 10 strands. It sounds a bit cocky, but it's true. I barely ever lose hair, it's never in my brush. Needless to say, I panicked. I know this sudden loss isn't hormones. It's the snagged hair from the idiodic crap I put my hair through this morning.

I guess I have finally learned my lesson. My hair routine is about to get an overhaul. I'm saying goodbye to coney 'poos and 'dishes, and not just because of my sudden angst towards my hair. I've never truly felt it was healthy anyway, just a bunch of build up. Flat irons and blowfryers are out of the question forever. I'm doing a clarifying session and a deep Vo5 revitalizing treatment, then starting over. No more brimming on the outer edges of good hair care. Hallelujah.

RancheroTheBee
June 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I feel your pain. I recently did something pretty similar, and I learned my lesson. Sigh. So much for being invincible.

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 05:18 AM
It's horrible to have days like this, and we all have them.

At least you're making te most of it, and will possibly put a stop to bad hair days. Well, you'll have less of them anyway.

xoLegallyAubrey
June 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I can totally relate. I had an event last Thursday and I needed (well, my mother told me that I needed) to get my hair done. I couldn't stop cringing! The shampoo on my ends, the ripping with the fine toothed comb/brush, the blow fryer. I could even see smoke. I wanted to cry. Then she was like, do you want hairspray. PSH NO. It looked beautiful, but my hair still isn't the same. =(

Katze
June 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Dare I suggest that when you've been off the heat and 'cones for a while, you might hate it less? :)

We have very similar hair and I fought mine for YEARS. Blowdried daily, bleached, dyed, curled it straight (you can use a curling iron to straighten, believe me, and we didn't have flat irons outside the ethnic hair communities in my day).

BUT.

After coming to LHC and obsessing long enough over my hair, I have finally "repaired" (read: let it grow out) it to a point where it IS easier to take care of.

There are still days when I don't "get" what my hair wants, and it definitely has a mind of its own. I can't ever make it straight and flat and smooth like my sister's hair. But the wave is really nice in the meantime and I am slowly learning more hairdos that actually work with it.

IMO it IS possible to enjoy barely-wavy fine hair once you learn how to care for it more gently and naturally. And my hair is proof. It is still not ideal, but it is lots, lots better than it was.

Kiraela
June 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad hair day - Hopefully with the routine overhaul, they'll be less common.

Maelyssa
June 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Join the club of learning from our hair mistakes.
But we all go through it for one reason or the other we think it'll be 'ok just this once' & then we spend months afterward cursing ourselves for being so harsh to our hair.

You're definitely on the right path though to healthy hair care from the sound of it. The best thing for hair thus far has proved to be no more heat styling.

Good luck on your journey to healthy hair!

lora410
June 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
The best thing I ever did for my hair way lay off the heat and cones. After that the occasional blow fry even on cool made my ends tangle to hell and back. I just used cones again the other day and again my ends are horrid. good for you for realizing how bad they are :)