PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit to how long your hair will grow?

abritta3
June 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hello. I have never had hair longer than around 28inches and I was just wondering if there is a limit to how long hair will grow?
I have just recently (this month) started using only oil as my "product" and have been using the CO only washing method [organic COs only] since January...so I am trying to surpass my former 28" hair length and go to 40"...but I am worried that my hair won't grow longer lol
Am I just being silly?
Please share similiar experiences, concerns.
Thank you!

mira-chan
June 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
There is a terminal length of hair. At that point the shed rate and growth rate equal out so no more length is gained. This varies among people according how fast the hair grows and how long, time wise it grows.

A terminal length in the 20's is rather unusual but it does happen. Most often that terminal length is artificial due to damage so the hair breaks as fast as it grows. Also if you get trims often then you might be getting all the new growth cut off so it doesn't look like it's growing.

Sometimes the hair stalls for a while and doesn't grow for say, a few months, before resuming growth again. That could be happening to you.

kam984420
June 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hello. I have never had hair longer than around 28inches and I was just wondering if there is a limit to how long hair will grow?
I have just recently (this month) started using only oil as my "product" and have been using the CO only washing method [organic COs only] since January...so I am trying to surpass my former 28" hair length and go to 40"...but I am worried that my hair won't grow longer lol
Am I just being silly?
Please share similiar experiences, concerns.
Thank you!

If you've had hair that was 28 inches before, you shouldnt have any problem hitting 40 inches. Granted everyone has a different terminal length, but most people can grow to classic before hitting their terminal length. There are some (Cinnamon Hair and Lady Long Locks come to mind) that have grown well over 50 inches.:cheese:

abritta3
June 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Well thank you to the both of you! I am definitely more excited now, hehe. :pinktongue:
My goal is to reach classic or hip! I will just stay positive.

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 05:11 AM
How did the ends look at 28"? Were they thinner, whispy ends or thick and blunt?

A sign you're reaching terminal is that only a few strands get to the longest lengths.

Sarah4983
June 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
great question, and great answers!

i always thought mine couldn't get any longer than BSL but now that i've decided to grow it longer I've been taking better care of it and it is growing and growing!! So hair being damaged and splitting off as fast as it's growing makes a lot of sense.

Cindi Eponabri
June 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
The longest my hair has ever been is 55 inches and that was when I was in high school... that was 40 years ago this year! Hard to believe. I'm now at 38 inches so I'm hoping I can make it to at least 50. My hair seems to grow quickly and every time I've cut I've made to this length, so time will tell if I can get it any longer.

NotOfThisWorld
June 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
My hair seems just hang around 35-39 inches. I can trim it every 6 months just barely - as it will get wispy in a not-good way. My husband trims it and when he asked "how do I know where to cut it?" I told him "you'll see it naturally. Just look" and sure enough usually it's somewhere between 1/2 - 2 inches that need trimming and one can pick out where that line is - where it really NEEDS to be trimmed. As I said I don't trim it very often it's been about 5 months right now. But it doesn't really grow well beyond that point.

Kiraela
June 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Eventually, if you keep growing you may reach your terminal length, as Mira chan said, but more than likely, if it's shorter than 36" or so, you might just have reached a stall.

I stalled at about 32", it drove me nuts for almost six months. Then it started growing again after I gave it a small trim. Now I seem to be stalled again, at 35" (to be fair, I've cut off at least 6-8" in trims since then) - I hope this stall gets over itself soon - as thick as my hair is at the ends, terminal shouldn't be before at LEAST classic. (I hope!)

If your ends were still thick, not tapered and thinning out, at 28", you should be able to go quite a bit farther than that!

Deimos
June 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Try wearing it up more. I thought my hair was stuck at bsl forever, but when I started wearing it up I had way less breakage and my hair actually continued growing.

AmyJorgensen
June 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Abritta3------ I see you are from Bloomington. I'm from Brown County, IN. It's cool to see someone from my area on the forum. Be patient and detangle gently and I'm sure it will grow longer.