PDA

View Full Version : John Masters Organics Salon?

Fractalsofhair
June 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Has anyone been to John Masters Organics salon in NYC? I'm going to be in NYC a few times this summer and their products look nice. I need a good haircut and I'm thinking it might be the best bet since every place near me is obsessed with bleaching and they refused to do it and they only do gentle colors, not perms etc.(I thought a place near my house didn't do it, but they've changed owners.)

The products look great in terms of ingredients and it would be a very pricey splurge to get my hair cut there, but if it's a good place?

Are they long hair friendly(or pro growing long hair as mine is medium length with nasty breakage), and gentle? Do they create cuts that grow out well?

I did a search and all I could find are reviews of the products, not the salon!

Fractalsofhair
June 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Anyone been there?

Delila
June 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I've used some of their haircare and had no problems with it.

Can't get it locally, which is pretty much why I kept looking after I used mine up.

Never been to the salon, however.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks! What was your opinion of the products?(Which is helpful in finding out if the salon is ok, because if the products are horrid, it's pointless) Were they just average, or great?

wahmof9
June 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Have not been to the salon but I love their products!

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
wahmof9- What products did you like, and what type of hair do you have?

wahmof9
June 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
wahmof9- What products did you like, and what type of hair do you have?
I have mainly used their skin care since I like Indian Herbs for my hair but I will buy some of their shampoo for the days I don't have time to mess with herbs and since I am thrilled with the products I use from them.

What do you mean by what type hair do I have?

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Do you have dry, or oily hair? Or normal? I have very dry hair, so that's why I ask! How did the skincare compare to others as well? Were the lotions moisturizing, oily or what?

Delila
June 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I remember the Citrus and Neroli detangler and the Sweet orange and silk protein styling gel. Both smelled FABULOUS.

If I could buy the line locally, I'd probably have continued to experiment with their products. As it is, I kind of moved on.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks Delia, so far, several reviews for that detangler! Mixed reviews on the gel, but its worth a try. What do you use currently?

Delila
June 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
From the John Masters line? These days, nothing. :) Used up what I had and moved on. I gave up using any kind of styling product a few years ago, so the gel might still be lurking in the back of my cabinet, LOL!

In recent years I've been mostly using Ellin Lavar's Textures Line when I'm not working my way through my stash. It's designed for people with wavy or curly hair, lots of moisture and oils in various ways. So far as I know it's not one of those natural/organic lines, but it works for me and my scalp, and that's enough. :)

Since my hair's so fine, I just use the shampoo (Optimoist) and the ordinary conditioner (SatinSoft), since they're plenty moisturizing on their own. I still have the detangler spray and use it sometimes, but if I use it too often my hair gets a bit over moisturized and limp.

To detangle, I've been using some of Biolage's Detangling Solution on my length if I think I need it. I also use Fekkai's detangling conditioner, since I love the fragrance and have a large supply of it in my stash. :)

I rummage through my stash once in a while and try other things, but lately I'm finding that this combo works for me, so I've been sticking to it. HTH! :)

wahmof9
June 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Do you have dry, or oily hair? Or normal? I have very dry hair, so that's why I ask! How did the skincare compare to others as well? Were the lotions moisturizing, oily or what?
Well my hair is fine and wavy so it has a tendency to be dry.

wahmof9
June 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Here is where I purchased my products if you are interested. I was very happy with the customer service. They sent me a bunch of samples.
http://skincarerx.com/search.php?q=john+masters&image.x=19&image.y=13

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks WAHM! My local Whole Foods sells them, so it's pretty easy for me to get, but the site looks pretty interesting.

Delila, were their products harsh or drying, or just so so? Thanks for the recommendations!

Delila
June 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
... Delila, were their products harsh or drying, or just so so? Thanks for the recommendations!

No, no! Not harsh, not drying. :) Good stuff.

Quite good, in fact. But as I say, not being able to buy IRL, I've switched to something else.

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ah, thanks Delila! I was worried about trying the salon if the products are horrid, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use the products regularly since they are quite pricey, unless I found one or two that last me a while. I think when I get to NYC this summer, I'll try it out. If the products are decent and gentle, the haircut will probably be fine.