PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Grow Your Hair Long?

missmandy
June 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've been wondering why you guys grow your hair, or keep it long. What is your inspiration?

Mine is mainly for how it looks, but I've also noticed that when I take good care of my hair, I take better care of the rest of me, and I feel better overall. It's definitely good for my self esteem, too. Having long hair makes me feel much better about myself.

Now, it's your turn. :D

Morrighan
June 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Because It's easier for me. It gets pretty low maintaince around bsl. But I feel naked when it's shorter than waist because I've had it waist - tailbone length for most of my life. Anything longer than waist is just because I like the way it looks.

hazelnut
June 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm currently growing my hair out because my hair is damaged from flatironing, so I'm trying to grow it out because I've never actually seen my actual hair; my virgin hair. So I'm hoping that once it grows out some I'll be able to really see what my curls actually look like.

jera
June 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've been wondering why you guys grow your hair, or keep it long. What is your inspiration?

Mine is mainly for how it looks, but I've also noticed that when I take good care of my hair, I take better care of the rest of me, and I feel better overall. It's definitely good for my self esteem, too. Having long hair makes me feel much better about myself.

Now, it's your turn. :D

I feel absolutely the same way and couldn't have said it better. It makes me look and feel better, and feeling better is what life is all about, I think. :D

:cheese:

redneckprincess
June 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I never had the paitence to grow my hair long before and a few years ago I went fake long hair (extentions) I loved how I looked and how the hair felt down my back and decided It was going to be now or never, Im not getting any younger andit takes a long time so I figured Id grow it long, why not...and I love how long hair looks.♥ and hubby asked me to grow out my natural hair color because I havent seen it since i was 15

chelssix
June 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I like the way it looks and feels, it is easier for me to manage, and I think that long hair can be very striking. There is a lot of versatility, and I get fewer bad hair days then with short hair- I would have bad hair days every time it was overgrown!

Quixii
June 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Honestly, I think it's more of a "I don't want to cut it" thing more than I want it long, at this point. I've been growing it pretty much since I was born. I know I'd miss it terribly if it were cut.
Plus, I've always dreamt of getting married with my hair long and decorated all pretty with the veil just ever so.. At this point, I'm worried that if I cut it wouldn't be at that dream length. Even if I didn't get married for ten years.

Anje
June 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
It makes me happy.

BlndeInDisguise
June 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
For religious reasons is the main reason. I don't know if I'd have long hair if I didn't have convictions, but I think I probably would, but I love long hair! :)

Dvips
June 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I just felt like it. I grew to waist on purpose, then was just too lazy to cut it until it reached classic. These days it is between chin and shoulder, but I expect I'll start growing it back to waist some time this year... if only so that I can use all my beautiful hair sticks, forks, and Ficcares! :gabigrin:

Labs*R*Us
June 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm basically lazy! My hair grows too quickly for a style (the maintenance would mean a trim every 3 weeks or so), and I can't be bothered with having to go through that much of a routine in the mornings. I also don't necessarily have to have a "do", either. I'm just as happy throwing it all up in a jaw and forgetting about it.

Orchid_28
June 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
My hair isn't as long as I want it to be right now but I want to grow it long because I feel beautiful and sexier with longer hair and I can do prettier hairstyles. I just feel better about myself and not so self conscious <(i hope I spelled that right! lol) with my short hair. I really do feel like a boy right now...if I had longer hair I would feel more feminine.

abritta3
June 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I am growing it out for a variety of reasons.
1) Healthier
2) Grow out my virgin hair
3) And like the orginal poster said...because I tend to take better care of myself entirely when I do that

spidermom
June 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Because I want to.

xrosiex
June 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I grow mine because I just love long hair I always have. Now I just want more extreme length.:)

kam984420
June 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I had a buzz cut for almost 30 years and decided i wanted something different.

Natalia
June 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
I love the look and feel but i mostly like it becasue it feels sexy and femenine (no offence guys i look long hair can look sexy on men as well) :D. Its more of a for me thing than a strict looks thing. I grow and enjoy my hair for me becasue lord knows i get very few "in real life" compliments

Pyvsi
June 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
1. When I stopped chemically processing my hair and felt its natural texture, I fell in love with it and wanted MORE!
2. Trends come and go, but a head full of long, healthy hair will never lose its WOW factor.
3. The longer my hair has gotten, the less time I need to spend on it to look presentable. (However, the more time I enjoy spending on it for fun and pampering)
4. It's fun! My ponytail is actually long enough to bounce around! Longer hair is like a new toy all by itself:cheese:
5. I feel prettyyyy oh so prettyyyy...:D

mira-chan
June 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Why not? :D
Felt like it.

akilina
June 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
I haven't seen my natural color since I was...13 or 14 :D. Now I'll be 18 in about a month. I've been bad to my hair with going back and forth from black to blond and I want to stop. I want that boost of self esteem for having beautiful hair and I simply want to have some nice pretty hair I'm proud of and can do things with.

Peter
June 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
I like long hair, that's enough for me. I don't know how long I'm going to grow it, but I might as well since it feels too short to me, and the only other option is cutting it shorter. I know I don't want to do that... especially since a few of my sexist acquaintances will think they've somehow convinced me. But I digress... I like long hair and I like being different.

Veronicarosso
June 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
An even mixture of vanity and curiosity

Runzel
June 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
The first reason was for ease of management.

The second was for beauty, which for me is also tied in with religious reasons, as the Bible says, "If a woman has long hair, it is her glory".

The third was for fun. Just plain fun. :D

ETA: Oh, and one more thing...though I don't know if I'd ever sell it (I'd need a really good reason) it is nice to know that if needed I have possibly $1,000 or so on my head. :)

Thenin
June 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I grow mine out because it makes me feel beautiful and I love the feel of the long hair around me.

My inspiration came from friends with long hair, old paintings and fairytales of princesses and Lord of the rings. :)

RavenRapunzel3
June 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I've had long hair for so long I wouldn't even know what to do with short hair! I keep it long because I feel it makes me unique (all though I have become known as 'that girl with long black hair') and not many people have long hair. I also like most the reactions I get for having long hair. Women with short hair are usually jealous and I also like when little girls point at me and try to get their mothers attention. I was once told by a little girl that I had "princess hair" :) I almsot cried it was soo sweet. I also feel that my long hair makes me more mysterious and intriguing to men ;)

Lamb
June 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't have the kind of hair that looks good short. And I am very curious what it will look like, never having had long hair in my life!

AmyJorgensen
June 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
I keep my hair long because it has become part of my identity....and because I CAN....seriously, if I have to be short and plump, I may as well flaunt my long hair genes.:D

Aisha25
June 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Cause it keeps on growing:D:p

Longlocks3
June 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Well when I was younger I just didn't bother with going to get my hair cut. It got longer. Now I save money by not getting it cut. Okay, I also am probably slightly vane and just love my hair. It's unique!

Locke
June 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
For me, it's to experience it before I go bald (if I ever go, who knows when you're a guy). I had short hair, military cut all my life up until I was 20 and decided to try longer.

Viva la hair :D

Brianna
June 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Personally, I've wanted long hair since I was a little girl. :) Before now I've rarely, if ever, had hair much below shoulder length. So not only am I fulfilling a childhood dream of sorts, but I've discovered that I look quite a lot better doing so. ^^

Carolyn
June 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I feel like "me" with long hair and some kind of an alien with short hair. I like the way it looks and feels. It's fun to take care of. It looks good even if it's dirty. I look much younger and feel much younger with long hair. I can't imagine going to all the bother of short hair, dealing with numerous bad hair days, and just plain feeling old and frumpy with short hair. I can't think of a single reason to have short hair.

Alun
June 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm an old hippie and I can't imagine having short hair. I never really like having short hair. My fine wavy hair would never stay put when it was short, and always wound up looking ridiculous. That was long ago in a galaxy far away.

Dars
June 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I started growing out my hair for when I was going to see my family which I hadn't seen in 15 years! :) I'm going over there next month, so excited! Because when I was a little girl my dad always had me have short hair so I thought it would be nice for them to see me with long hair, especially since I will not be seeing some of them ever again I think. I know BSL isn't that long on LHC but it feels long to me and I'm happy to keep growing even when I come back since I really like how feminine it feels and looks.

mrs carol
June 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
For religious reasons and my husband likes it long and so do I.

dragonfrog
June 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Well, honestly, I started growing it long out of sheer laziness. My mom wasn't around to cut it for me anymore, and I hate having my hair professionally cut. My original goal was to have hair long enough to easily cut myself.
However, on the way I discovered I really enjoy having long hair. It can be elegant (an updo) or sexy (loose) and always makes me feel pretty and feminine. And, of course, I love that my boyfriend loves my long hair.

Finoriel
June 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Because I can :p and felt like it :wink:.

janeytilllie
June 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have long hair because …
I use to have very long healthy hair has a child. But I hit my teen years and killed it.

So I chopped it off to shoulder length with layers. It was one of my regrets. So my aim now is to get my long hair back and healthy again.

I also think long hair suits my round face more than short. I also like doing different hair styles and buying hair sticks.

Flynn
June 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
... Because I can't afford to get it cut as often as I need to keep it really short (long pixie. Looks really good on me, if I may say so.)

inertia
June 4th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I feel plain, frumpy, and invisible with short or medium length hair. My features don't seem to work with short styles. I prefer APL or shorter in terms of ease of maintenance, but I put up with long hair for the look.

Pixna
June 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Having long hair makes me feel stronger, more feminine, more beautiful, more unique, more alive. Whenever I have cut my hair short, I feel as though I have cut off a limb.

Also, I think longer hair looks better on me. And as I am growing it out this time around, I am realizing that my face looks better with some hair framing and softening it, as opposed to short hair with nothing framing it or updos, which can look very stern on me.

Strangely, long hair makes me feel more secure, whole, and grounded. I feel more natural and in tune with nature/the natural world.

Fethenwen
June 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I love taking good care of my hair, it's my hobby. With short hair I didn't bother, it was there and it was boring. My hair also grows so fast that I had to get trims quite often which became to be quite costly.

I'm also curious to see how long my hair can get! I have never had hair longer than BSL.

This time I will only self trim, and I will take such good care of my tresses that I won't have the need to trim that much. So far so good!

AJoifulNoise
June 4th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I started growing because other people told me I had to. Now I grow it for me. It's unique, beautiful, and practical.

Pegasus Marsters
June 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM
My hair grows so fast that short hair is just impractical, it would cost too much to keep trimming it. It's just easier to leave it to its own devices.

longhairedfairy
June 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
It's just easier to leave it to its own devices.

And have a wig in case you need a change (or just want to mess with us;)).

ETA: I like your siggy pic, btw.:)

Fifty-Five
June 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I remember, as a kid, I always wondered why 'boys can't have long hair', so I wondered what it would be like xP Besides, I think long hair on a woman is one of the most attractive things xP Whenever a friend asked my opinion, I said 'Grow it long!' ... so having short hair, I felt a bit hypocritical 'cause they said it was too much work =P

shadowclaw
June 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I've almost always had hair at BSL or longer because I love long hair. The few times I cut it to my shoulders (or shorter), I severely disliked it. I love ponytails and buns, and I love the way hair looks when it hangs down. I like having my hair admired. I love looking at other people's long hair. I'm just a big fan of long hair.

Also, I'm a big girl, and I have some self-esteem issues. However, there are two physical things about me that I love: my hair and my feet :) I try to take of both so that they are as lovely as they can be, even if the rest of me isn't. Also, a lot of the bigger ladies around here have short hair cuts, and I hate it. It seems like anytime I see a woman gain weight, she cuts her hair short, and in my opinion it accentuates the fact that she's plump. I feel that long hair is more flattering to us plus sized girls.

jenny'sdreaming
June 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I started growing it because my husband likes long hair and I didn't really care either way. I keep growing it because the longer it gets the more I like it and the easier it is to take care of. I used to spend 30 minutes or more styling a short 'do. Now I can get out of the shower and either comb it and leave it or put it up wet and I'm done. Right now I'm just coming up on BSL. I don't know how long I will let it go. Until I don't like it anymore, whatever that turns out to be. Right now it doesn't grow that fast because I'm still trimming out damage.

Kristen_Marie
June 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
My hair growing out was kind of an accident. One day I just noticed it was longish and liked how it felt, so I decided to keep going with it.

On the other hand though, I do it for self-esteem purposes too. I feel like I look ugly with short hair because I'm overweight. It accentuates the roundness of my face and takes the gentle slope of my hair from my head over my shoulders/body to a sudden drop and outgrowth. Yeah. I've given this a lot of thought. [>..<]

Other than that, I just love having long hair!! :cheese:

Cindi Eponabri
June 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
1. It grows quickly

2. It costs too much to get a trimmed every couple of weeks

3. I don't like hair on my face, around my eyes or on my neck, so when it's long I can just pull it back.

4. Cuz I can

5. Cuz I want to...

6. My husband likes it long

missmandy
June 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
All of these reasons are great! I'm even more inspired to grow my hair now!!! :cheese:

HotRag
June 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I dont know, but I just love long hair. :)

NotOfThisWorld
June 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I just love it. I like the way it looks... I love long hair. I like how many things I can do with it, the ways I can style it. And my husband adores it. :)

Kiraela
June 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It is easier to manage, I can't survive without braids (seriously! I'd be bored to death when I'm waiting somewhere!), I love the look of long hair, it fits my personality (one part hippie, two parts goth, and about 7 parts medieval nutcase), and frankly? I like the feel of hair tickling my tailbone.

Maelyssa
June 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Because it looks & feels beautiful. Because I am unique & that works very well with my personality.
Because my summer home exists in worlds of fantasy, magick, anime, role playing, ren faires & all sorts of other places where long hair is the way to go. ;)

BBGrrl
June 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
It feels right. When I cut it off I felt like I was missing somethng.

JamieLeigh
June 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I love my hair long for a great number of reasons, and it would take way too long to type them all out! But for starters:

I love feeling like a princess, and being called "Rapunzel" by my 3 yr old daughter. :D

I love being able to wear it loose and stay warm in the winter, and to put it up and stay cool in the summer.

I love compliments! ;)

I love the way it feels when it brushes against my fingers when I walk.

I love seeing long hair on other people too. And it's fun to have a connection with people when you both realize your hair is long. :)

NotOfThisWorld
June 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
People always think it's beautiful too. It definitely gets more attention than short hair (except, gals do get attention when they cut/dye their hair too, noticed at least).

And I like the... kind of fantasy nature of long hair. Like something out of LOTR, or a fairytale... There's something girly in me that just adores long hair as part of a fairytale and part I can have, I can look like a princess with long golden locks... I can look like something that stepped out of pages of a storybook and I can BE that princess.... so to speak. Long hair is just so beautiful, flowing, feminine... I have had it between waist and hip length for... around 7 years I think. I would cry if I cut it off.

ecologystudent
June 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Because I can. Because I got tired of cutting it off every four years because I wanted short hair, only to discover that I hated short hair. Because it's gorgeous. Because I like braiding. Because I'm a bit of a show-off. Because it fits with my self image much better than short hair does.

Elyce
June 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Such great answers! I grow mine because I love it, I feel unique and adventurous and classic and different and sometimes even sexy. I don't do it for others, but because it appeals to me.

I love the variety; the one time my hair was cut above the shoulders, I woke up feeling like Don King every morning - a lot more time and effort to make short hair look 'effortless' - at least for me. Long hair has so many style choices.

I just love long hair, especially if it is shiny and well-cared for. I feel a shining glow about me, almost like an aura, that is a part of who I am. Or at least part of how I think of myself.

marialena
June 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I don't grow them. They have their own will and grow by themselves ...:p
I just don't interrupt their growth. ;)

rhysiana
June 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I feel more like myself with long hair. I remember feeling relieved when it finally hit waist again, like "Oh, yes, I'm finally me again."

Having now actually tried short hair again, I can also say that long hair is much easier for me, and I am, fundamentally, a lazy person. Fortunately, the person I went to when I decided to try short hair was amenable to my request that he make it something that would grow out well.

Jason
June 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Great replies everyone. I could relate to a lot of them.

I wanted to have long hair since I was very young, I think around age 7. It has always felt like an identity thing for me. For various reasons, I wasn't able to grow it long until my mid 30s and it feels like I'm finally really finding myself. I look at pictures of me with short hair and I feel like I'm looking at someone else and find myself asking Who is that person?

I love the look and feel of long hair.
I feel like it's our natural state.
I like that it makes me look different rather than the seemingly endless men who have the standard 'guy's haircut'.
It's a way of keeping track of time with one's body. I like that I can look at the ends of my hair and sort of see into my past.
My fiancee likes it.

Madame J
June 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I really liked having long hair in college, and my husband has never seen it that long in person, so I'm growing it out again. Plus a little while ago, I had everything that I'd ever dyed cut off, so I'm starting from virgin growth. Having long, virgin hair makes me feel closer to nature.

Butterflylady
June 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've always admired long hair on others, but I never had the patience to grow it out. Now that it's APL, I like it. I get attention for growing it out and it makes me feel more feminine.

EvasOodie
June 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
To see my virgin hair
My hair used to be really long when I was younger and I miss it
I think long hair is very sexy

Pixna
June 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I don't grow them. They have their own will and grow by themselves ...:p
I just don't interrupt their growth. ;)

Good point!!! :laugh:

Coolcombination
December 19th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I grow mine because it's unusual, shows off my dedication, and good health. I also like it because it makes me feel closer to nature and more spiritual.

Eireann
December 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
It makes me feel feminine and artistic, and my DH loves it. :eyebrows:

KwaveT
December 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
I have wanted long hair for years. My sisters were allowed to have it because they are girls. I was tired of short hair and wanted more hair so I can do more with my hair. I finally did what I wanted to do and started growing it despite resistance from my family. This is the first winter that my hair covers my neck all the way around so I am not as cold also.

ReghanC
December 21st, 2012, 05:40 PM
I agree with you. I notice that I feel better and take better care of the rest of me when I take care of my hair. I follow the "put good in, get good out" rule, so to make my hair better, I eat better, drink more water, and exercise more. Plus, I just feel prettier :) With long, shiny, healthy hair I feel like a pretty princess :queen:

Iolanthe13
December 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
- I missed the long hair I had growing up.
- Long hair costs less to maintain.
- Compliments!
- No true "bad hair days".
- It feels sexy - particularly when seen in silhouette...
- Long hair works best with my natural texture.

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I missed my long hair. I love it and I'm proud of my accomplishments they may seem small to others but to me they're great. I like the way long hair looks and I'm growing to tail bone.

mermaidprincess
December 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM
I honestly love the way it looks on me. That's also partially because until I was 13, my hair was shoulder length because my parents always cut it short when it got much longer.
Also, it's kind of a security blanket. It makes me feel good about myself.

betsb
December 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
I've always been a LH girl, but have cut it several times, mostly to donate it to cancer. I never liked how I looked or felt in short hair, so have finally let it grow and just want to see how long it will get. It's pretty long now. I can say the last time it was this long was when I was a teenager. Not reliving those years, just like the freedom LH gives me.

Callque
December 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM
I am growing my hair long because long, beautiful hair is a sign of health and I think healthy things are beautiful. Like a fit body or clear, glowing skin. I think a vibrant natural face will always be more beautiful than a face covered in makeup. Just like I think that long, natural hair will always look better than dyed, heat-styled hair. Healthy, natural things are so beautiful to me.

Plus it saves me a bunch of time getting ready. :p

Kodama
December 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM
My evil ex hated how I looked with short hair, and used to badger me all the time to grow it out. So I dumped him. Then I grew my hair out. :pins:

beautifulending
December 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
I feel beautiful with longer hair not to say short hair isn't beautiful...it's...just....not me. So i'm growing my hair to hip!

Olavi
December 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
I live in hope, that long hair would make my face look less childish. I have super babyface, I barely pass ass 18 years old (most of the time 16 is maximum), and I hope that long hair would make my face looking less round.

Aaaand I love how silky soft my hair is without shampoo and other products and I want more of that lovely hair :)

Tota
December 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM
Whenever I imagined how the "best version" of me would look I imagined myself with natural TBL hair. This vision was always in my head, but sadly never on it :S At 25 I finally decided to do something about it, ditched the bleach and stopped going to the salons. Best decision ever. I don't know if my har will ever get to TBL (MBL now), but with the help of LHC it is in its best possible state. With the care for my hair I gradually started to care better for the rest of my body. First I learned what is good for my skin, then I learned to prepare and eat clean and healthy food and just eight months ago I started exercising regularly. I'm a totally different person than I was 3 years ago. It's funny, but it all started with hair :D

goldloli
December 22nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
So true tota.
My perfect me has tbl hair also, or rather hip+ wurls. I've had good hair for a long time now, but the product addiction turned into a 'quality lengths' desire, which is a lot harder to get than nice looking bsl hair and impossible to fake with products or extentions.

Since getting into hair, I've learned about makeup too. Once I was sorted with those I moved onto skin care, which is now looking good. I'm working on body skin, learning Japanese and building bank balance atm. The self improvement and esteem from goal reaching seems to carry across into other areas of life. Corny but true.

yogachic
December 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
I am not the type to have to "do" my hair every morning. I could never have really short hair. I have it long to keep my neck warm too. It's easy.

kurlywurlygurl
December 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Personally, I grow mine long because I used to have long hair in 2007 and I miss it.:violin: Long hair also makes me feel better about myself, and I have to agree with feeling better overall-and self esteem. Having long hair makes me feel more feminine- and to be honest it just seems more natural, I am a quite care free when it comes to most thinks and ironically as "care free" as my hair looks its pretty well taken care of. :eyebrows:
I also love experimenting- I've done everything from cowashing, to water only- and now Sebum only. :cheer:
Also, although I was born into a sikh family- and that of course means my parents force their religion on me, I believe in God but I do not believe there is a specific path I have to take. However, if some sikhs decide to become baptized they grow out their hair- and this made me do some research, and I found that it was a spirtual thing. Long hair allows you to be more spirtually connected with yourself as well as the world around you. Personally, I thought of this as much more of a joke at first- I mean what, does your hair get all tingly like in dragon ball z and does your hair just stick up from all this supernatural energy?:lol:
Well, it actually does make you more "spritual". Spirtual in the sense that your more connected to yourself, and you know yourself a bit better. I like to think of my hair as a blanket- its a blanket that protects me haha... maybe I should grow it out into a cloak!:confused: Anyway I haven't gone as far to actually name my hair (even though I admit I might be pondering that thought now that I came across it). Its really interesting to read everyone else's reasons behind their gorgeous tresses. :o

trolleypup
December 22nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I like long hair...on myself and others.

Way back when I was a teenager, I first grew it out because it pissed my mom off (:rolleyes:) and found out I really liked it. Shame she has never grown her hair out...I think she would do well! I kept it mostly around upper back with a much shorter front until the mouthful of pizza and hair incident and the following short bangs and shoulderlength in the back...and grew it out from there. 25 years of more or less benign neglect brings me to upper calf and still growing.

I still like it, it is easy to take care of and fairly easy to manage even when it is down (seems like I have grown out of a mini-awkward stage around knee). I don't mind that it is one of my traits of personal singularity...and I'd be lying if I complained about the positive attention it gets. Another nice thing is being able to make an absolutely clear division between work and play/leisure time...step off the bus, pull the stick, toss my head, and there is no doubt that the workday is OVER!

akuamoonmaui
December 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
I grow mine because its MUCH easier to take care of. I've always heard people say taking care of long hair is such a chore and difficult. I really don't know what they are talking about. The longer mine gets, the easier it is to care for. I spend maybe 3 minutes on mine and that's only to flat iron my bangs into submission.

I also love the way long hair looks. Duh.

CurlyCap
December 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm finding that what I missed about having long hair wasn't so much the length but the BIGNESS. I grew up with this giant mane of hair around my face and I still think it looks weird that it's missing.

Some rough length guesses make me think I'll have to get back to somewhere between waist and hip to have the volume I miss. Maybe another two years.

lacefrost
December 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Several reasons:

Partly because people say black girls can't and I like to be uppity and shove their stupidity in their faces.

Partly because I've always wanted long swishing hair, it's so beautiful.

Partly because with hypercurly and curly hair, the shorter it is, the more difficult it is. Once it starts getting long, it's easier than straight hair (to me.)

Partly because there's nothing like taking your hair down and the room going silent. :)

sunnydee92
December 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Because I was a tomboy most of my life and finally started caring about my hair...I've decided I like it better long! Also, I have pretty bad acne and long, awesome hair makes me feel less self-conscious about it! :)

catamonica
December 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Iv'e always loved long hair. It didn't get to waist until I was older. It's stopped growing one inch from tailbone. I'm just glad it has gotten as long as it has. It's much easier to take care of, then if it was shorter.

Sharysa
December 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'm growing my hair out because I like playing with it and so I can be REALLY distinctive in acting auditions. It seems that a lot of girls in the Bay Area have short hair, or at least styled heavily--people comment on how long my hair is when it's really just thick and blunt-cut.

One definite factor I've noticed in the "Wow, your hair is so long!" thing is how a lot of girls seem to have a REALLY severe V-hemline--basically, the sides of their hair are anywhere from shoulder to mid-back and it tapers down until about two inches of the center are left long.

I see a lot of girls from the front and go "Ooh, cute bob!" but then they walk by me and I go, "Oh, another SUPER V-hem."

V-hems are nice, but not when you start wanting to snip off that niggling little strip of hair that's so clearly mismatched with the rest of someone's style.

trolleypup
December 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Partly because there's nothing like taking your hair down and the room going silent. :)
And then hearing "Dayum!"

HintOfMint
December 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm pretty lucky in terms of color, thickness, and malleable texture so I might as well grow it out and show it off. Also, having it long is the only flattering style for me (hello chipmunk cheeks!)

maborosi
December 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
I like having it long. It's really flattering for me, plus, it's just tons of fun!
So many different styles and braids and a ton of fun hairtoys out there for me to play with...

Ahhhh hurry up and grow, hair!

~maborosi~

brickworld13
December 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
I feel more like myself with long hair. With short hair, I felt like a drifting spirit.

I like how it looks.

At this length, I have to wash it far less than I did when it was short.

It annoys my sister, who has declared me a hippie.

It makes a great hobo look, if I leave it braided for three days without redoing it because it's all messy and slippy. The hobo look is very useful when traveling with valuables stuffed in a bag and not wanted people to bother you about your stuff.

I just love how it looks and feels. It's so shiny and smooth. Plus, it makes a great scarf in a pinch.

domisimone
December 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I was told from a very young age that I would never have long hair, and to be happy that my hair was just CBL. And I've always wanted what I can't have. I'm trying to prove a point to all the nay-sayers.

domisimone
December 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Several reasons:

Partly because people say black girls can't and I like to be uppity and shove their stupidity in their faces.

Partly because I've always wanted long swishing hair, it's so beautiful.

Partly because with hypercurly and curly hair, the shorter it is, the more difficult it is. Once it starts getting long, it's easier than straight hair (to me.)

THIS!!! I hate hearing that black girls can't!

Achlys
December 24th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I tried it short and decided I like long hair better. I like being the girl with long hair. I find long healthy hair attractive and I enjoy how it feels against bare skin. And I like having it touched.

vanillabones
December 24th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Every reason. I've had plenty of time to think about hair. My hair will never be shorter than it is now, and I'll never dye it again. In my lifetime I will experiment terminal not that it will be pretty :p hehe. I really do believe I will look much better being a long-hair as well. I loved my pixie through my teen years and the only thing I'll regret is not worrying about my hair. I loveeeee hair.

silkreel
December 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I had a really awful haircut where I got my hair seriously thinned out and short.
Since then, I have committed to growing my hair out thick and long.

Also, I think long hair is sexier and it's more feminine. I'm a romantic and all the fairytale princesses had super long hair.

nellreno
December 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Two reasons for me: long hair is much more flattering for my face shape and hair type. I look like a young boy when I have super short hair. And I really enjoy doing interesting buns and braids that you can't really do on short hair.

letdownyourhair
December 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Like many of the other people on here, I love the way it looks. I think it looks amazing if it's taken care of. I also love all of the hairstyles that can be done with long hair. I just love everything about it!

Chaotica
December 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM
When I was a child I always wanted long hair. I just like how it looks. :)

Naiadryade
December 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
-I've wanted long hair since I was 5 years old. It started off as the healthiest part of my aspiration to be like Barbie. (edit: to be clear, I no longer want to be like Barbie.)

-It was MBL to Waist for most of my childhood and adolescence, and I'm trying to get back to that and beyond.

-I cut it to shoulder length when I was 17, and to my earlobes when I was 18. That was fun for a year or so, then I realized it just didn't feel like *me.* I feel more myself with long hair.

-My mom had knee-length hair when she was in college (in the 70's, of course). The pictures of her thick, wavy black hair in that era are stunning. I think I've always aspired to achieve what she did.

-I live in New England, and that means hot (80-100 F) in the summer and cold (0-30 F) in the winter. I like long hair because it's automatic temperature control without having to carry extra layers! Wear it down as a blanket, put it up if it's too hot. Done.

-I think my hair is pretty (especially when I'm taking care of it right), and if there is more of it, then that is more of the pretty.

-Long hair, especially once it's past my waist, will make me feel more like a fairy or mystical forest creature. And that is what I aspire to be.

ghost
December 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM
*I'm curious to see how long it can get

*Long hair feels more like me -the few times I've cut my hair shorter, I've always started growing it again within a couple months

*I'm inspired by seeing beautiful long hair on other people :)

*I'm enamored of a lot of things Victorian/Edwardian/quaintrelle/medieval/fantasy, etc...and also things spooky and weird. So, for a girl who's a little old-fashioned and quite feminine, not to mention creepy, kooky and mysteriously spooky it just makes sense to want breathtakingly long hair. It's pretty and maybe a bit antiquated, but also 'weird'.

*My hair is one of the few things about my appearance that I unconditionally accept and don't struggle with. Growing it out and taking care of it helps me feel better about the rest of myself.

BambooBeauty
December 29th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Im growing mine becuase i want my hair to look like emmeline's hair from the movie blue lagoon. Best hair ever

spirals
December 29th, 2012, 03:24 AM
My hair is my best physical feature, and my bone structure does not work well with short hair. I love the idea of tumbling curls.

airmid
December 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I grow it because I feel beautiful with long hair. I love faeries and fairytales, and all the old medieval styles, and I feel like a Celtic Goddess when my hair is long.
Plus, it's low maintenance- the many years my hair was short, I was always flat-ironing it to get rid of cowlicks, and had bad hair days far too regularly. Now a bad hair day is rare, and when it happens, I just put my hair in braids and wear a hat, problem solved!

sparrowswing
December 29th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I like long hair, on myself and on others. I like all the hairstyles that can be done with long hair. I like the way people sometimes react to long hair. I like how it makes me feel. I like the way it feels brushing against my back/thighs. I like that mermaid-hair effect I get when I'm swimming. I like being able to smack DBF with my braid when he says or does something annoying. I like being able to wrap my hair around my neck like a scarf when I'm cold. I like being able to put my hair up out of way when I'm hot.

I too find that taking care of my hair leads to taking better care of myself.

Also, I'm entirely too cheap to go to a stylist, and hair seems to be easier to trim yourself at longer lengths (so far). Toss in being too lazy to trim often and there you go.

prof-annie
January 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
I love wearing my hair in lots of different updos - the longer it grow the more options I seem to have :)

chen bao jun
January 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
My grandmothers both had long hair--at least by my standards. One was bra-strap and the other had classic. I want to grow long hair because it makes me feel in touch with my family and my roots.
Plus I look bad in short hair--and long hair is easier to manage, in my opinion. I tend not to want to fuss with my hair so need it at least shoulder length for versatility in styling and updoes.

theemeraldskull
January 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
I love the way it looks and I love the way it feels, falling down my back. :-)

lapushka
January 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Just because... No, really, because it's a lot more practical than short hair.

HikerTrash
January 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
I hate my long hair but I hated my short hair more. I wear a helmet or a hat or both every day and hat hair sucks. I hate my long hair because it's thin, fine, has a lot of static and falls out all the time. Clogs the plumbing, breaks the vacuum cleaner, gets tangled/woven into the fabric in my socks and shirts coming out of the drier. I'd cut it if it wasn't for the helmet hair thing and how easy it is to just tie it back and forget it.

alewyn
February 28th, 2022, 04:38 PM
I hope nobody minds if I resurrect this super-dead thread. I was thinking about this question today, and wondering what y'all's responses might be. For now, here's my own!

I've always loved the look of unconventionally long hair (where I live, that's pretty much anything beyond MBL). I was raised on high fantasy, and as a kid, I forever dreamed of having deep red locks down to my fingertips. Every character I created in an RPG, wrote into my stories, or drew in my sketchbook always had ridiculously long, wavy auburn hair. I grew my hair out to between hip and TBL in high school and loved having it long in concept, but didn't know how to care for it, so the actual appearance was not quite there, haha. I'm growing it now because I was a) bored with my short hair, and b) I wanted to give my hair a second chance to grow truly long as an adult, with a bit more awareness about how to style and care for it. I also discovered henna, and am bringing the dark red aspect of my dream into reality!

Jane99
February 28th, 2022, 05:07 PM
I love my henna, and looking into henna is what brought me to this forum and inspired me to grow long!
Other motivations include, I hate getting my hair cut. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cut I didn’t regret immediately. This one is probably what has allowed me to grow my hair as long as it is (very close to BCL, the longest it’s ever been)
Long hair is super pretty and I’ve always admired it.
I guess that’s it for me. I like being able to put it up easily and not have to worry about styling really. I also like thT I’ve learned how to take care of it too so though I will probably endlessly complain about splits, the parts that aren’t split are in pretty good condition.

Bat
February 28th, 2022, 08:25 PM
It fits my preferred aesthetic and looks amazing

spidermom
February 28th, 2022, 08:39 PM
I grew my hair out to classic length, during which time I wore it pinned up most of the time. Then I got tired of it and cut back to collarbone length, then shoulder length, at which point I discovered an important truth - I hate it when hair falls into my face or sticks to my neck. In order to avoid that, it either needs to be super short or long enough to pin up. I may opt for super short one day, but for now - long it is and long it shall remain.

foreveryours
March 1st, 2022, 12:10 AM
It's part of who I am

Death-Within-Me
March 1st, 2022, 09:25 AM
So I thought of it and...

1) If I keep my hair short, I will have to maintain it every month (whether it be asking someone to do it for me or going to the hairdresser.) Bleh.

2) If I keep my hair medium length, I still have to maintain it every couple of months.

3) If I keep my hair long, I just have to trim it once a year to keep it growing and healthy.

4) Since your hair continues to grow until you die, I'm guessing nature meant for it to grow. Not to sound hippy.

5) I like having a lion's mane. I like big, long hair for all sexes. Aesthetically, it's what I admire in films and in real life. It also looks better with the Ao Dai gown.

6) It's cozier and warm especially if you live in a cold climate.

7) If I take care of my hair, I take better care of my body overall - exercising, hygiene, oils

8) I have sensory issues. I hate the feeling of the short ends of short hair brushing the back of my neck. I always keep my hair up which is protective for longer hair anyway.

9) There's just no logical reason for me to have short hair other than if I like the look of it (which I do, it's still a look) but that's just one reason...

cinamio
March 1st, 2022, 09:28 AM
I prefer how I look with longer hair. Long hair also makes protective styles look more interesting.

Bri-Chan
March 1st, 2022, 09:36 AM
I'm growing out bleach to rock my natural hair color but I would like my average brown just compensating with unusually long hair.

thatsideoflife
March 1st, 2022, 10:29 AM
I'm growing out bleach to rock my natural hair color but I would like my average brown just compensating with unusually long hair.

That's kinda how I feel. I always get bored with my shoulder-length brown hair, can't do anything with it so I dye it. But looong brown hair is such a look, so many style options, so much fun. Anyway, I'm growing long out of principle. Once I discovered people that never cut their hair because it is a part of their body and conserves intuition, I mean... there's no unknowing that so :shrug: I'm in a cult I guess

embee
March 1st, 2022, 11:00 AM
My hair is not the "beautiful hair" - like so many on LHC have. It's plain, straight, thin.. my mom called it "rat tails". :( Keeping it short is *expensive*, as it needs trimming up very often to look halfway decent. That's not in my budget. And this long hair is *so* comfy and convenient. :)

Now that I'm old I particularly do *not* want to have permed gray/purple see-through hair. ;) Nor do I want to spend my remaining days at a salon. Benign neglect (=> long hair) for me.

SaveTheTapirs
March 1st, 2022, 11:08 AM
Once I discovered people that never cut their hair because it is a part of their body and conserves intuition, I mean... there's no unknowing that so :shrug: I'm in a cult I guess

Haha, great answer. It sounds a bit woo-woo to me, but at the same time I'm intrigued by this!

Finda
March 1st, 2022, 11:36 AM
I hope nobody minds if I resurrect this super-dead thread. I was thinking about this question today, and wondering what y'all's responses might be. For now, here's my own!

I've always loved the look of unconventionally long hair (where I live, that's pretty much anything beyond MBL). I was raised on high fantasy, and as a kid, I forever dreamed of having deep red locks down to my fingertips. Every character I created in an RPG, wrote into my stories, or drew in my sketchbook always had ridiculously long, wavy auburn hair. I grew my hair out to between hip and TBL in high school and loved having it long in concept, but didn't know how to care for it, so the actual appearance was not quite there, haha. I'm growing it now because I was a) bored with my short hair, and b) I wanted to give my hair a second chance to grow truly long as an adult, with a bit more awareness about how to style and care for it. I also discovered henna, and am bringing the dark red aspect of my dream into reality!

This pertains to me as well. Reading mainly fantasy when I was younger really had an impact on what attributes I find attractive. I was also very much into metal. I still think longer hair looks more attractive than shorter hair in any gender, although a short haircut has never been a deal breaker in a relationship lol

Death-Within-Me
March 1st, 2022, 11:49 AM
This pertains to me as well. Reading mainly fantasy when I was younger really had an impact on what attributes I find attractive. I was also very much into metal. I still think longer hair looks more attractive than shorter hair in any gender, although a short haircut has never been a deal breaker in a relationship lol

Yeah, I'm also inspired by a lot of male characters with fantasy, long hair. So ethereal looking.

You and I both did talk about enjoying Tolkien's work and characters. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2022, 12:15 PM
Long hair is pretty, that's why I wanted to grow mine.

Finda
March 1st, 2022, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I'm also inspired by a lot of male characters with fantasy, long hair. So ethereal looking.

You and I both did talk about enjoying Tolkien's work and characters. :)

Yes, I remember that :)

aloewurly
March 1st, 2022, 01:50 PM
I'm a weird hippie and I also like the feeling of my hair covering or surrounding me in a way. I feel protected from prying eyes.

Bri-Chan
March 1st, 2022, 02:00 PM
That's kinda how I feel. I always get bored with my shoulder-length brown hair, can't do anything with it so I dye it. But looong brown hair is such a look, so many style options, so much fun. Anyway, I'm growing long out of principle. Once I discovered people that never cut their hair because it is a part of their body and conserves intuition, I mean... there's no unknowing that so :shrug: I'm in a cult I guess

Yeah, I've always had uncommon hair. My hair is a strong part of my look. I can't imagine myself with more normal hair. I mean I can, but it's not me.

lapis_lazuli
March 1st, 2022, 08:05 PM
I never mind old threads being resurrected. Always appreciate new prompts and excuses to post, and loved reading everyone's answers!

Besides the fact that I find extreme lengths stunningly beautiful, the way I experience my hair is as an extension of both my physical and spiritual self. It makes me feel more strongly connected to myself and to nature, and it's taught me a lot about patience and investment. I also imagine it as telling a story of my life, reflecting my body's internal health and energy over more than a decade. Growing my hair and growing longer than I ever thought possible has been a hugely empowering experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Death-Within-Me
March 2nd, 2022, 07:10 AM
I never mind old threads being resurrected. Always appreciate new prompts and excuses to post, and loved reading everyone's answers!

Besides the fact that I find extreme lengths stunningly beautiful, the way I experience my hair is as an extension of both my physical and spiritual self. It makes me feel more strongly connected to myself and to nature, and it's taught me a lot about patience and investment. I also imagine it as telling a story of my life, reflecting my body's internal health and energy over more than a decade. Growing my hair and growing longer than I ever thought possible has been a hugely empowering experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

I 100% resonate with this.

I also work at a park (wildlife management) where most of the women here have especially long hair so it's kind of a "culture" as well.

ladyofthewoods
March 2nd, 2022, 01:40 PM
I love the feeling of wearing my hair down in the forest, a gentle breeze, makes me feel spiritual also. I've had long hair for over 80% of my life, it's who I feel I am.

ladyofthewoods
March 2nd, 2022, 01:45 PM
I should have mentioned I always had waste length but after seeing LOTR, I wanted Galadriel length hair :)

Cg
March 2nd, 2022, 01:54 PM
OK, I will be the dull pragmatist here. The only reason I grew it out was to pile on top under hats without worrying about hat hair. After awhile (and probably after finding and being infected by LHC) I kept it growing just because I like it long and want to see how long it'll get.

lapis_lazuli
March 2nd, 2022, 01:57 PM
I 100% resonate with this.

I also work at a park (wildlife management) where most of the women here have especially long hair so it's kind of a "culture" as well.

I liked what you said too about supposing nature meant for our hair to grow. I guess I feel the same :p

I love the feeling of wearing my hair down in the forest, a gentle breeze, makes me feel spiritual also. I've had long hair for over 80% of my life, it's who I feel I am.

Me too, it just feels right :)

Starburst14
March 2nd, 2022, 04:51 PM
I'm curious to find out how long I can grow my hair while still keeping it healthy. The longest my hair has ever been is waist length when I was in my teens but the ends would get really thin and break because I wasn't taking care of it like I am now

bokeh
March 2nd, 2022, 05:45 PM
One day I asked myself why I kept my hair short and then I realized that keeping it short wasn't my own preference. I had the idea that I would be judged harshly if I didn't conform to the expectations of those around me. It had become a habit to try to guess what the people around me expected and then to try to conform. I'd been second guessing what others wanted all my life so that I hardly knew what I actually wanted.

I finally realized that I was keeping my hair short because I thought that was what others expected me to do. It became clear that I was doing this type of second guessing and conforming in many other ares of my life and I was tired of it.

Growing my hair long was my first real rebellion. It was where I stopped caring what other people think about things that are only my business. That's so freeing!

So, to me having long hair is now a symbol of my independence and uniqueness. That's the main reason that I keep it long but there are so many other reasons.

pisinoe
March 3rd, 2022, 10:30 PM
The answer is simple: I look ugly as hell with hair shorter than brastrap and I’m too vain to not care. So. :p

Gwendolynn
March 4th, 2022, 04:32 AM
I find myself curious how long it is able to grow. I can remember from the past that it always seemed to be stuck at waist but I did not know how to care for my hair back then.

Patrick2300
March 5th, 2022, 04:55 AM

That are really wise Words...I like them :-)

Patrick2300
March 5th, 2022, 04:57 AM
I should have mentioned I always had waste length but after seeing LOTR, I wanted Galadriel length hair :)

Waist Length is a great Length...but Galadriel length Hair is also very great :-)

zhivago
March 5th, 2022, 06:21 PM
I wasn't allowed it long as a kid and I feel naked with hair shorter than about hip length, not sure why. And I'm scared of hairdressers and want to avoid them forever.

MusicalSpoons
March 5th, 2022, 07:07 PM
In short, because I can and because I like it.

Longer answer:
Partly because I don't want short hair - at around the age of 6(? I think) I asked to grow my hair; it had been kept in a bob because that was easiest for my dancing exams (it was too thin, fine and slippery to do a bun or plait which were the requirements if it was longer). That was fulfilled all through childhood as I grew it to ~hip and into my 20s where I cycled between hip-tailbone with an annual chop.
Growing longer once I found LHC and learned how to care for it was just to see if it was even possible for me. Then when it was evident I could actually get past classic, I had goals but fundamentally it was to see how long I could grow it and still enjoy it.

It's not so much an obvious part of my identity now as people so rarely see the length because buns are just the most practical style for me, but it is part of 'me' and I guess my own personal identity. I've just never wanted short hair :shrug:

meepster
March 5th, 2022, 10:55 PM
I have a practical, pragmatic reason - because the pandemic started and I couldn't go to the hair salon anymore. I had pixie-cut hair all my life, but the pandemic showed me that going to the hairdresser every 2 months is not always an available option. Now I'm just curious how long it will grow. I never tried growing it all the way to terminal before.

Corvana
March 6th, 2022, 01:57 AM
Idk I just wanted it! I've had all but fully buzzed bald (but close!), but nothing longer than (I'd thought at the time) MBL hair. Turns out that was actually waist, but the point was the same regardless. I wanted long hair again, but this time I wanted to go longer than I ever had before. I found LHC and caught a small case of LHC-itis, and my WL goal moved to HL and then immediately to FTL because WHY NOT :laugh: So far TBL has been my favorite, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt as that was before my shed and damage that slightly thinned my scalp and greatly thinned MBL down.

I want to try longer, too! Maybe not past knee, but I'd reevaluate if I ever chose to go that far.

But my reasons were really pretty boring! "This seems fun, let's try that!" There've been some fun things, like finally having mermaid hair so I can do the hair-covering-the-bits thing I've always found fun but never achieved as an adult (gained too many bits XD), and having my hair down when I'm outside in the middle of the night. Last night it was SO windy, and since I knew I'd be washing today, I took my hair down and let it blow in the wind. The detangling after wasn't as fun, but it was worth it :laugh:

I feel like I'm rambling haha. I've found a lot of love and appreciation for my hair that I'd never had before, but I didn't start out growing wanting anything more than just "not short anymore" and maybe "longer than my roommate's" as a cheeky goal.

Fitzpatrick
March 22nd, 2022, 10:34 AM
I saw Crystal Gayle and thought how beautiful her hair was! When I was little I told my mother that one day, when everything was good for me, that I was going to grow my hair as long as it would grow! Right now my hair is transitioning from ftl to mtl. I do the best I can to be as healthy as possible and care for my hair the best way possible.

BexLocks
March 22nd, 2022, 10:54 AM
I saw Crystal Gayle and thought how beautiful her hair was! When I was little I told my mother that one day, when everything was good for me, that I was going to grow my hair as long as it would grow! Right now my hair is transitioning from ftl to mtl. I do the best I can to be as healthy as possible and care for my hair the best way possible.
Yes! I'm pretty sure I told my family when I was little that I wanted hair like hers. Their response was, "you don't really want hair that long," or, "that would sure be a lot of work." I guess I don't respond very well to other people telling me what I want!

Abacus
March 22nd, 2022, 12:45 PM
I wore pixie cuts for years, and every once in a while I'd decide to grow it out, but would always cut it again once it was neck length. It's an awkward length on me. But then about a year ago I mentioned to my friend that I was thinking of growing it out again, and she said "Girl face it, you'll never have long hair."

So now I need the longest hair on earth.

Edited to say, that was the impetus for finally getting past my awkward length. But the real reason I want to grow long hair in the first place is just because I love hair, I love big hair, I love dramatic hair, and I feel like life is to short to not grow mine out!

illicitlizard
March 22nd, 2022, 02:44 PM
I feel like I've answered this before but I guess not in this thread!

Long hair makes me feel more confident and more like myself. I recognise my reflection when my hair's long! I think it looks a lot better on me, so, vanity, and I love having enough length to play around with different updos and braids. It's also a challenge to work towards a goal length that I'm curious about - an exercise in patience, which I am sorely lacking in other aspects of my life.

Mulan
March 22nd, 2022, 08:40 PM
Because I've cut my hair short in my early 20's and now im almost 30 I want to try longer hair.
I feel more feminine and beautiful with longer hair, I can have more variety in styling it, It stands out, easier to manage without using heat, compare to when I had shorter hair I find myself using straightener to tame my fly-aways.

Fitzpatrick
March 23rd, 2022, 08:28 PM
No other hair style feels as comfortable. Long hair for me is a blessing for the fact that it could fall out, God forbid that ever happens. I like my long hair because it represents what is attainable for me. There is something mystical and majestic about long hair and I like the fact that God gave women something glorious that makes us more feminine. Of course I would like to keep growing mine, I have never grown mine to terminal length and would like to see what my hair grows to. Love what God gives you and be appreciative at all times.

clandestine
March 24th, 2022, 07:40 AM
The whys have changed over the years...Currently I'm growing it long as an act of self love and patience. I tend to vent my frustrations and depression out on my hair so I'm trying to grow long this time rather than chop when I feel cornered in life. Plus, I always have long hair in my mind and the act of taking care of it is calming and can help when I'm feeling like I can't do anything right or productive. So when life is a little too much I can do something nice to my hair in order to feel in control again. No one is really invested in whether or not my hair is long or short so it has definitely become a choice and a habit that I have started for myself. I tend to put others before myself so in some ways it is also an act of rebellion. Either way I do it for me.